Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 53
Re: Universal Records are to give 19 Rolling Stones albums a makeover "deluxe versions"
Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 20, 2008 17:14

HighwireC
Very new info: Digital downloads are on, all the other issues are expected, beginning in 2009 ... ;-)

I'm Just Sitting On A Fence ...

So we're getting them as downloads too (Not surprised that would happen)? That's cool.
What makes me a happy camper is that we'll get them on CD in the beginning of 2009. I can't wait to buy a plethora of albums the day they're coming out (Probably have to go to another city to get them all, but I've done that many times by now. Horsens is so slow for getting new releases). Some might say: "Why don't you buy them online instead"? Because I love going to the store and getting them in hand, and that special fast-paced walk you walk to get home. grinning smiley

JumpingKentFlash

Re: Universal Records are to give 19 Rolling Stones albums a makeover "deluxe versions"
Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 20, 2008 17:20

Jumping Kent Flash

Some might say: "Why don't you buy them online instead"? Because I love going to the store and getting them in hand, and that special fast-paced walk you walk to get home.

Right on Kent! Nice to see the younger generation enjoying some of Rock N' Roll tradition. I also prefer buying music at the store, it's like Christmas, and never gets old either.

Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: October 20, 2008 17:21

Lorenz
HighwireC
Very new info: Digital downloads are on, all the other issues are expected, beginning in 2009 ... ;-)

I'm Just Sitting On A Fence ...

Do the digital downloads also cover extra material or just the already published songs?

You can buy most of the "old virgin" releases in many shops until they will be out of stock. Meanwhile there are/will be the digital downloads, only "old albums" with the wellknown tracks.

The "real" Universal Episode will start in 2009, with "Deluxe Editions", 190gr vinyl LPs and some very new stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-20 17:23 by HighwireC.

Date: October 20, 2008 17:26

"The "real" Universal Episode will start in 2009, with "Deluxe Editions", 190gr vinyl LPs and some very new stuff".

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!!!!!! Are you sure we'll get all that??? What do you mean by "very new stuff"? Do you have info that a new album is in fact in the works???

JumpingKentFlash

Date: October 20, 2008 17:30

frankotero
Jumping Kent Flash

Some might say: "Why don't you buy them online instead"? Because I love going to the store and getting them in hand, and that special fast-paced walk you walk to get home.

Right on Kent! Nice to see the younger generation enjoying some of Rock N' Roll tradition. I also prefer buying music at the store, it's like Christmas, and never gets old either.

For me it's the only way. I do, however, have to buy some stuff online from time to time (Japanese version of Shine A Light was, of course, nowhere to be found in Danish stores - I went online ét voila: Une CD de Japanese "Shinée De Alume" - Did anyone say "Pardon my Frnech" grinning smiley ).

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 20, 2008 18:19

JumpingKentFlash
"The "real" Universal Episode will start in 2009, with "Deluxe Editions", 190gr vinyl LPs and some very new stuff".

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!!!!!! Are you sure we'll get all that??? What do you mean by "very new stuff"? Do you have info that a new album is in fact in the works???

I interpreted his comment to refer to 'very new stuff' as being previously unreleased masterial on the Universal reissues.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: October 20, 2008 18:31

Maybe bv is enjoying this one with the fact that it's all speculation, there is not one ounce of truth to any of it...so why bother?

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: October 20, 2008 19:00

Skipstone, it´s people like you that makes me hold any possible info I got to myself.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Date: October 20, 2008 19:11

mickijaggeroo
Skipstone, it´s people like you that makes me hold any possible info I got to myself.

If you have any info, feel free to "send it to me" on e-mail. Strictly confidential of course. I can keep a secret....

Gazza
JumpingKentFlash

I interpreted his comment to refer to 'very new stuff' as being previously unreleased masterial on the Universal reissues.

Oh..... Right..... Sometimes I jump the gun. smiling smiley

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 20, 2008 20:00

Stateside, the new digital downloads are already available. Pretty much the entire Virgin catalog has transferred to Universal Music if you check at iTunes. Some titles correctly state they are 2008 releases, others incorrectly state they are 2006 releases (same problem with the ABKCO remasters, some correctly say 2002 while others are incorrectly listed as 2000 despite being the 2002 remasters in MP3 format). The one glaring exception for the Universal Music catalog is that A BIGGER BANG is listed as a pre-order currently but with the original release date of September 2005 if you opt for the pre-order. In case anyone was curious, the new digital downloads are the 1994 remasters. The only thing new about them is that Universal Music gets the royalties instead of EMI. At least they're available instead of the gap between the Sony and Virgin contracts when product was scarce in many stores.

Date: October 20, 2008 20:05

The point of what I said is that a lot of people seem to be thinking similar thoughts - since not one official word has come out, why believe anything? You can say what you want, it doesn't bother me, I'm just merely commenting on the fact that NOTHING has been said so as far as that goes there is no actual truth. Rumours - fine, whatever. So you can keep whatever comments to yourself if you feel it is important or share them here. We'll all know whatever it is you have to say now when the time comes by the fact that eventually it will all be out.

Until then, I'm having more and more doubt believing anything. It's nothing personal.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: October 20, 2008 23:31

Last year, while on holiday in Sweden, you'd get one of the Virgin versions cheaper whenever you'd buy a certain tabloid, too - at the gas station. I could deal with the lady behind the counter to get them all at once - only for one tabloid...

Date: October 21, 2008 04:06

Rolling Stones thread.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 22, 2008 12:41

skipstone
Maybe bv is enjoying this one with the fact that it's all speculation, there is not one ounce of truth to any of it...so why bother?

Perhaps someone with the time and inclination could write to both Universal Records in LA and the Stones Management office in London.
I'm sure one or both would love to clarify the position (for us all).

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 27, 2009 15:27

I had a dream last night that i opened up my newly purchased Rolling Stones Deluxe Exile On Main.St. to find a remastered copy of Exile together with bonus DVD of a remastered Ladies and Gents...

I need to get out more...

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: January 27, 2009 15:30

yeah, wait - what become of all this? Schall und Rauch? winking smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 27, 2009 15:57

"Shine a Light sold very well for a live album: 600,000+ copies worldwide"

I can see the day when a certified gold CD will be sold to 10000 copies... D'oh!

RE the Deluxe reissues : if this happens to the Motorhead back catalogue I THINK the Stones deserve it too. And if the vaults are opened we might have a Dylan/bootleg series situation...
(the opening of the Dylan vaults allowed certain people to sell hours of music to bootleggers... hint hint!)

Date: January 27, 2009 18:15

So any idea WHEN all of this is gonna happen?

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: January 27, 2009 18:25

This is a bit like the summer slump, folks. Everytime there's not much to talk about, these Universial Deluxe-Editions seem to really spur everyone's imagination. Mine too, I have to admit. But nothing to be found on this topic right now :-(

Date: January 27, 2009 18:28

Go to Uni's website and the Stones aren't even there. The whole thing is a farce!

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: January 27, 2009 18:53

Money, Money, Money - and no information in sight. My guess is, they won't add any outtakes or worthy bonus tracks - just lavish packaging, or rather three sizes from "deluxe" down to "basic". There's just nobody in the group to get involved with these kinds of things (anymore) and - unlike, say The Who or Deep Purple, there are no collaborators to push such matter. Some things just never change...(sigh).

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 27, 2009 21:58

It doesn't make sense for Universal to put the Stones on their website when the only product is SHINE A LIGHT. Bear in mind that the Stones signed with Columbia in August 1983 and didn't start working on an album until January 1985 and then it was two more years until the reissues hit. They signed with Virgin in November 1991 and didn't start working on an album until April 1993 and it was over a year until the reissues came out. Its not at all odd (and may even be a contractual olbigation to EMI) that there is a period of time before any activity (new recordings or reissue programs) begin.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: January 27, 2009 22:06

Bill could do it for a decent pay packet

Entwistle did the work on Odds and Sods in 74 and I think, Quadrophenia soundtrack.

sc uk

Posted by: john r ()
Date: January 27, 2009 22:09

Even if the Stones can't be bothered to meticulously produce superb special editions of their albums for Universal, I tunes notwithstanding, Universal must surely expect (& stipulate) a bigger catalog bang for its bucks, more than an indifferent remaster with no musical (or graphic) goodies. They signed the Stones for the catalog (& a new album or 2) for a lot of money, and even with album sales struggling, fans like us (?), then the next level down of fans who likely buy the catalog again, in the latter case after reading reviews or publicity describing the sonic improvements and additional content. Heck I bought the vinyl Byrds' 5D, then the late '90s expanded edition CD w/improved sound plus fab booklet w/rare pix & fab single sleeve repros etc, and still THEN again the Sundazed analog vinyl reissue edition. Finally I just enjoyed the 2-EP set (10 inch discs) "Another Dimension", w/ stuff too outre for the CD bonus track category - killer sound, exploratory instrumental versions, alternates, longer versions, & more goodies only a fan of the Byrds' classic album might even want. And the packaging is very nice too, So Stones, Universal, whomever - apply the PRESSURE and TIME then BRING 'em on OK???

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: January 27, 2009 22:20

JumpingKentFlash
BTW:
Where's No Security, Some Girls, Sucking In The Seventies and A Bigger Bang???????

Where's Brussels 1973 - the greatest live album of them all (with Bonus tracks from London and Vienna)!

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: January 27, 2009 23:17

So how many bonus tracks and how much loudness will be added to those albums?
I hope Promotone BV will be rather gracious with the bonus tracks and forget completely about the brickwalling of sound, instead, I hope that they allow the music to breathe more.
That would make a remastered ABB very attractive!

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: January 28, 2009 00:32

Its ALL bull crap until we see it. I'm not holding my breath. I truely hope Mick (who almost has to be the one standing in the way of the vaults being open) doesn't have to pass away first before his kids consent is needed to have this done.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 28, 2009 00:47

john r
Even if the Stones can't be bothered to meticulously produce superb special editions of their albums for Universal, I tunes notwithstanding, Universal must surely expect (& stipulate) a bigger catalog bang for its bucks, more than an indifferent remaster with no musical (or graphic) goodies. They signed the Stones for the catalog (& a new album or 2) for a lot of money, and even with album sales struggling, fans like us (?), then the next level down of fans who likely buy the catalog again, in the latter case after reading reviews or publicity describing the sonic improvements and additional content. Heck I bought the vinyl Byrds' 5D, then the late '90s expanded edition CD w/improved sound plus fab booklet w/rare pix & fab single sleeve repros etc, and still THEN again the Sundazed analog vinyl reissue edition. Finally I just enjoyed the 2-EP set (10 inch discs) "Another Dimension", w/ stuff too outre for the CD bonus track category - killer sound, exploratory instrumental versions, alternates, longer versions, & more goodies only a fan of the Byrds' classic album might even want. And the packaging is very nice too, So Stones, Universal, whomever - apply the PRESSURE and TIME then BRING 'em on OK???

We dont know if it WAS 'a lot of money'. No figure has been announced publicly. Neither has the terms of the contract.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: January 28, 2009 01:27

...estimates are somewhere in the $15m range....who knows for sure.......I thought this was an interesting take however........

Stones Sign to Universal, Planet Yawns
07/27/2008

Universal gloats, EMI says “@#$%& you, Mick”…
By Fred Mills

Etched indelibly between the lines of the news about the Rolling Stones leaving EMI to sign with the Universal Music Group — you can read the bland Associated Press article HERE or the slightly livelier Silicon Alley Insider analysis HERE (yes, this is a business story that has nothing to do with actual music or art) — are the letter Y-A-W-N.

It’s not that no one cares; the 347 hits at Google News you get when entering the search terms “Stones” and “Universal” will attest to that. Although with the news breaking on Friday afternoon, the blanket coverage smacks somewhat of “slow news weekend.” Hey, we’re up early on a Sunday morning with nothing constructive to do with ourselves too!

But with the Stones having recorded for pretty much everyone at this stage — they’ve jumped from London to Atlantic to Columbia to Virgin/EMI, and now to Universal, their lucrative back catalog remaining an irresistible lure for major labels — it’s not really news any more when they do jump ship. At this stage I’m not even sure if anyone would bat an eye if Mick ‘n’ Keef temporarily lost their sanity and signed a 10-year 360-deal with Live Nation or something, and you can bet that Live Nation did court the Glimmer Twins.

That would never happen, of course, because as a recording act the Stones are spent; their new studio albums don’t sell, and each time they issue yet another live something-or-other (lately it’s been multi-disc DVD boxes, since the live album market has pretty much dried up in the download era) they only do first week business while Best Buy and Target and Wal-Mart are offering the product at huge discounts. 360 deals are more about touring and merchandising income, not record sales, and Mick ‘n’ Keef are definitely not insane enough to surrender even a sliver of those two streams of revenue. They had all those deals locked in and up and running smoothly a couple of decades ago.

Industry gadfly Bob Lefsetz, in his Stones commentary this weekend, pointed out that the Stones news would only be “news” if they announced they were pulling a Radiohead or a Nine Inch Nails. Wrote Lefsetz, If the Stones gave the middle finger to the business entirely... And started marketing their music themselves... Then I'd be interested, then I'd care. But they're renting these old masters the same way a real estate developer's son rents out the tenement his father built way back when. There's no new investment, just profits on what once was.”

That’s for sure. Not that his stating the obvious stopped those other 346 industry observers from weighing in on the “news” and ruminating on how the Stones’ departure from EMI might inflict some semi-mortal blow to the company. Lefsetz also had a thought or two about that:

“Let's stop saying how this cripples EMI, is further indication of a sinking ship. Any new act that wants to sign with a major because it RENTS the Stones catalog is peopled by idiots who still believe in the Easter Bunny… They've been AT ALL the major label groups. And they barely sell any @#$%& records!

And if you think [UMG’s] Doug [Morris] and Jimmy [Iovine] are going to get Mick and Keith on the phone to counsel their newbies...you fell off the turnip truck yesterday. This is a banking deal, pure and simple. Universal calculated how many they could sell and made an offer. End of story. Unless, god forbid, a tragedy like the one outlined above occurs, there is no giant upside. As for three new albums... Who are they going to sign next, Zsa Zsa Gabor? How about Tony Martin, he's over NINETY! Give him a TEN ALBUM DEAL!”

Hey, I’ll take a one album deal! I have a talented young kid and I’m itching to be a stage dad…

In case anybody is still awake, here are the “official” press releases issued by UMG and EMI, respectively. Note the gloating tone in the former and the terse, “@#$%& you, Mick” tone in the latter. Meow!

Universal:
ROLLING STONES TO UNIVERSAL MUSIC GROUP IN LONG-TERM, WORLDWIDE RECORDING DEAL

The Rolling Stones and Universal Music Group have signed an exclusive, long-term, worldwide recording agreement. The pact covers future albums by the Rolling Stones and the single most iconic catalog in rock & roll, including such landmark albums as “Sticky Fingers,” “Exile On Main St.” and “Black And Blue,” and such global anthems as “Brown Sugar,” “Angie,” “It’s Only Rock ‘N Roll” and “Start Me Up.” New recordings by the Rolling Stones will be released by Universal Music Group’s Polydor label through UMG companies around the world. The Stones commented, “'Universal are forward thinking, creative and hands-on music people. We really look forward to working with them.” Full digital and physical rights are part of the agreement, and Universal Music Group will begin planning an unprecedented, long-term campaign to reposition the Rolling Stones’ entire catalogue for the digital age. In March, Universal Music Group released the soundtrack album from “Shine A Light,” director Martin Scorsese’s film of the Rolling Stones’ acclaimed 2006 performance at the Beacon Theatre in New York. The album has been a major worldwide hit.

EMI:
EMI Group wishes the Rolling Stones well in their new venture and looks forward to a continuing relationship with the band through their long-term agreement with EMI Music Publishing. EMI Music will only ever conclude mutually beneficial agreements with its artists.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: January 28, 2009 01:52

HighwireC

The "real" Universal Episode will start in 2009, with "Deluxe Editions", 190gr vinyl LPs and some very new stuff.

HighwireC, do you stand by what you wrote? (above)

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-28 01:52 by drewmaster.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2432
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home