Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 53
Re: Universal Records are to give 19 Rolling Stones albums a makeover "deluxe versions"
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 20, 2009 23:54

Yazid's the real deal, mon frère. Trust him!
Plus he's a Hendrix scholar so thumbs up

Re: Universal Records are to give 19 Rolling Stones albums a makeover "deluxe versions"
Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: March 21, 2009 00:34

dcba
Yazid's the real deal, mon frère. Trust him!

I trust him, and I'll eat my hat if these are NOT remastered. These days, record companies do not reissue the catalog of major artists like the Stones without remastering it.

Drew

(This email is for those who give a hoot about remastering, and I know that not everyone here does)

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 21, 2009 04:33

I do care. What I want to know is how much better can it/could it really sound than what was done already. My answer is not much if at all.

And with the reissues - WHAT part of that is deluxe? NOTHING. There is no deluxe. A whole lot of nothing, which is what this whole thread has been about - in doubt - ever since it started.

Just the same old tired albums AGAIN, for the 300th time. No pun - what a shame.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: March 21, 2009 05:27

even if there were to be extra songs on the new cd's i doubt they'll anything we don't already have

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 21, 2009 11:01

Gazza
The entire point of Universal signing the Stones becomes more elusive by the day.

It'll probably seem elusive at this time, but when they go on tour and all the stuff starts happening, it'll probably make sense.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: March 21, 2009 11:31

skipstone
I do care. What I want to know is how much better can it/could it really sound than what was done already. My answer is not much if at all.

And with the reissues - WHAT part of that is deluxe? NOTHING. There is no deluxe. A whole lot of nothing, which is what this whole thread has been about - in doubt - ever since it started.

Just the same old tired albums AGAIN, for the 300th time. No pun - what a shame.

My hope is that the sound quality will blow everyone away -- including you, skipstone. As I've preached before, there have been incredible advances in digital sound technology in the last 15 years, which finally make the promise of the compact disc (or the SACD or whatever) come true: sound quality like you are in the same room with the band. An example is the '02 ABKCO remaster of Beggar's Banquet. If you listen to that on a really good sound system, and then listen to the '94 (Virgin) Sticky Fingers on the same system, there is no mistaking which sounds better, is there?

But you are right ... there is nothing "deluxe" about the Univerals that we are now told will start appearing on store shelves in about 6-7 weeks. As I've noted earlier in this thread, this whole thread was built on a false assumption, an innocent mistake that has spawned a lot of speculation but also a lot of interesting discussion IMO.

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-21 11:33 by drewmaster.

Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: March 21, 2009 11:45

hmmm,
did Universal ever confirm they will do NO "Deluxe Versions" ...? ;-)

Look what really happend:

"Shine A Light" Soundtrack (umusic) and DVD (Bluray) releases by Universal in 2008.

Universal Music and The Rolling Stones signed a new contract last year.

First Universal re-released the cataloge for download (not for hardcore-fans, but to make some money ...)

Then Universal will re-release the complete cataloge on vinyl, 10.000 each LP have been pressed in Germany, they are to going to stores in the next few weeks. Who will buy them? Of cause there will be enough vinyl-fans to make some money, too.

After selling out the complete virgin-material, umusic will release the complete cataloge, step by step, to fill out the empty space in music-stores. Who will buy this stuff? No one here from this board (?), but umusic will get their money, too.

This all will happen in the next few month, I think.

... and after all these steps, there will be more. some announcements, some Deluxe Editions, some new stuff, tour etc etc.

I'm Just Sitting On A Fence ...

BTW: Who will buy all these SHM-CDs (ABKCO etc) released nowerdays by umusic in Japan?

Date: March 21, 2009 12:24

HighwireC

After selling out the complete virgin-material, umusic will release the complete cataloge, step by step, to fill out the empty space in music-stores. Who will buy this stuff? No one here from this board (?), but umusic will get their money, too.

Hi HighwireC,

What do your sources say about these ... remastered or not?

Drew

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: March 21, 2009 13:17

Think I will hold back and wait for the Royal Special Deluxe editionsmiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-21 13:21 by S.T.P.

Date: March 21, 2009 14:47

I'm all for the sound being better. I still think what Ludwig did for Virgin sounds fantastic. And what he did for ABKCO sounds fantastic as well. I'm not doubting that the technology has gotten better - it's just that the improvement from the Sony/CBS catalogue to the Virgin issues was, for me, stunning.

If Fingers-Blue (and Tattoo) sounds even better with Universal than they did with Virgin then yeah, I'll really be impressed.

I hope this truly is the last record label jump for them because, although I didn't wait forever to get all the studio LPs from Virgin I don't think the price this go 'round will be as conducive to getting the bunch of them in a short amount of time.

I am curious to see if they change any of the packaging/artwork like Virgin did with Dirty Work and Steel Wheels - how there was actually less than the original! I wonder how Voodoo, Stripped, Bridges and Bang will be different along with Work and Wheels.

If Universal does do some kind of hits comp to help promote their reissues hopefully it will contain more than what Jump Back did and include not only some better tracks but the recent output as well.

Date: March 21, 2009 16:27

[en.wikipedia.org]

Hopefully the person who rerereremaster the Stones catalog will read this...
and they'll dig out the master tapes once again this time for a HD, 192 kHz, 24-bit PCM, blu-ray compatible, digital conversion à la Neil Young for his Archives project thumbs up

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-21 16:50 by dcba.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 21, 2009 18:54

Same great tracks! Same great sound! Some minor changes to the fine print on the labeling and packaging!

45,000 hits on this thread. Why?

Date: March 21, 2009 19:11

43,110 is not 45,000.

Date: March 21, 2009 19:22

I wonder if any songs will be edited (or 'unedited') to be longer, like Virgin did with Luxury and Slave.

That was it, right? I know Sex Drive was a different mix and that there was more Jagger jabber on Flashpoint. I don't know of any other albums/songs being different.

Date: March 21, 2009 19:42

"45,000 hits on this thread. Why?"

Cos we're stup... I mean FANS!

Date: March 21, 2009 19:49

skipstone
I wonder if any songs will be edited (or 'unedited') to be longer, like Virgin did with Luxury and Slave.

Good question. I know that when I first heard the 'unedited' Slave I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Actually, I still do, every time I hear it. Probably the best decision Virgin ever made.

Drew

Date: March 21, 2009 19:56

Imagine the whole (unedited? if it's not edited than it's just the whole version right?) version of Slave - there's plenty of room for it.

Date: March 21, 2009 20:09

skipstone
Imagine the whole (unedited? if it's not edited than it's just the whole version right?) version of Slave - there's plenty of room for it.

I don't think my brain could withstand that much sonic ecstasy. >grinning smiley<

What I'm most excited about at the moment is the prospect of the remastered Sticky Fingers, especially CYHMK. Yes, the Virgin edition sounds good, but I just have the feeling that Universal's remastered Sticky Fingers is going to blow the roof off the Virgin edition.

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-22 12:50 by drewmaster.

Date: March 21, 2009 20:22

It's obvious that their back catalogue is the main focus since they have basically left the wheels off the bus now as far as doing new records and nothing past Tattoo You really truly holds up regardless of what we actually like. At least, it sure seems that way.

Their back catalog is so celebrated. I really do hope a bunch of extra stuff does come out. At this point that is all I can hope for. I just can not see buying their catalog again. I've yet to get any of the ABKCO remasters with exception to Metamorphosis and Forty Licks. I can't see spending $20 a record for the ABKCO remasters. I don't even have a stereo to listen to anything on, it's all a laptop/headphones. Someday I'll have a proper stereo.

Date: March 21, 2009 20:40

skipstone
I don't even have a stereo to listen to anything on, it's all a laptop/headphones. Someday I'll have a proper stereo.

Ahh, skipstone, now I understand why you are so lukewarm to the idea of "yet-another-remaster" ...

It all depends what sound system you're using. Mine is in my car, and wow do the Virgins sound pale (no pun intended) compared to stuff that's coming out these days (such as the recently remastered version of ZZ Top's Eliminator).

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-21 20:40 by drewmaster.

Date: March 21, 2009 21:09

I have my truck. But my woofers have ALL blown out! I think it's the stonewall mastering from A Bigger Bang, The Cult's Born Into This and AC/DC's Black Ice from being played so loud, yet alone other Stones/Cult/AC-DC albums ha ha...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 21, 2009 23:41

JumpingKentFlash
Gazza
The entire point of Universal signing the Stones becomes more elusive by the day.

It'll probably seem elusive at this time, but when they go on tour and all the stuff starts happening, it'll probably make sense.

It still won't, but by all means keep up the cheerleading!

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 22, 2009 00:02

Gazza
JumpingKentFlash
Gazza

It still won't, but by all means keep up the cheerleading!

it won't be a point that universally makes sense

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: March 22, 2009 01:44

yeah lets just keep buying the catalog over and over again thats what we want boys!!!!!!! cheers to neil young and all the other classic artists that care about putting out something for the fans, sometimes i wish i liked another band at least i would get some vault action, the stones have always been a disgrace at this stuff

duck geese!!!!!!!!! duck geese??????????

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: March 22, 2009 03:15

to my limited knowledge i think it's a matter of technical fact that the newlabel would
absolutely have to make a fresh master for their label's actual 'new' releases...
that is not to say a re-mix...of every track and mike as was done by glims and producers...
it will be tweaking compression and eq on any remaster...which could be significant, one way or the other according to opinion and expectations of sonic realism and helping rather than 're-creating' relaltionships of instruments and such too much...

what it will sound like or accentuate...dunno...
interesting discussion and thread...hopeful
have not heard of a remix per se...would be apprehensive and intrigued by such a thing i suppose...and they are not saying 'remix'...
so it will have to be remastered as a matter of technical fact i think.,..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-22 03:30 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: March 22, 2009 12:24

melillo
yeah lets just keep buying the catalog over and over again thats what we want boys!!!!!!! cheers to neil young and all the other classic artists that care about putting out something for the fans, sometimes i wish i liked another band at least i would get some vault action, the stones have always been a disgrace at this stuff

Exactly. Sometimes I get really jealous at other artists fans. Thinking about it, only Beatles fans got a mixed bag so far - Anthology archive series, BBC recordings release, yes - but still waiting for remasters of the official stuff. Then again, they have all these great sounding bootleg releases of studio stuff and a load more good live recordings from the 60s.

For the Stones fans, the end of our long wait for archive action is not in sight. Deluxe expanded versions of Stones albums may appear - Universal is the right company for stuff like this, they proved it so any times with other artists - but its obviously not a matter of months as some posters led us believe here, its more probably a matter of years to come.

If ever. And thats a big IF, because it all depends on the willingness of the band itself to go through all the old tape reels, or at least their willingness to let someone do the research job for them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-22 13:33 by alimente.

Date: March 22, 2009 14:03

melillo
cheers to neil young

I'm as frustrated with ol' Neil as I am with the Stones. Neil has blocked the remastering of most of his discs, and the Archives set has been delayed and delayed and delayed and delayed.

Drew

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 22, 2009 15:27

drewmaster
What I'm most excited about at the moment is the prospect of the remastered Sticky Fingers, especially CYHMK. Yes, the Virgin edition sounds good, but I just have the feeling that Universal's remastered Sticky Fingers is going to blow the roof off the Virgin edition.

I hope you're right, but I've bought lots of CDs that had a sticker on them saying they were "NEWLY REMASTERED!" and they sounded, to me, at least, exactly the same as they always had. We'll see. Maybe there WILL be some noticeable improvement, but so far, has anyone who has actually heard them said anything about them? Something like "Oh, my God! This is unbelievable! Wait until you hear this!" I think SOMEONE would have said something like that by now if it were true.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: March 22, 2009 16:34

drewmaster
melillo
cheers to neil young

I'm as frustrated with ol' Neil as I am with the Stones. Neil has blocked the remastering of most of his discs, and the Archives set has been delayed and delayed and delayed and delayed.

Drew

yeah but at least neils archive set is in the works and will be done, nothing of the kind will ever happen with the stones, you know it and i know it

Date: March 22, 2009 16:36

melillo
drewmaster
melillo
cheers to neil young

Drew

yeah but at least neils archive set is in the works and will be done, nothing of the kind will ever happen with the stones, you know it and i know it

Never say never ... winking smiley

Drew

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2078
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home