Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728...LastNext
Current Page: 23 of 53
Re: Universal Records are to give 19 Rolling Stones albums a makeover "deluxe versions"
Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 25, 2009 19:17

It's weird if only EOMS will be out with a bonus. I'd like all of them to have something like that. It ouldn't be a problem with any of them, except for those early seventies ones I guess. Or am I mistaking?

JumpingKentFlash

Re: Universal Records are to give 19 Rolling Stones albums a makeover "deluxe versions"
Posted by: bumbum ()
Date: March 25, 2009 19:35

JumpingKentFlash
It's weird if only EOMS will be out with a bonus. I'd like all of them to have something like that. It ouldn't be a problem with any of them, except for those early seventies ones I guess. Or am I mistaking?

U2 has rereleased 4 older CDs with lots of bonus material - that gives lots of bonus among their fans.
Stones problems today and tha last many years - they are lazy and very bad to promote new stuff to their fans.
The Rarities CD was a joke.

Posted by: Tornandfrayed ()
Date: March 25, 2009 20:02

alimente
there are still "contractual matters" to be sorted out

I don´t like the sound of that.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 25, 2009 20:07

Tornandfrayed
alimente
there are still "contractual matters" to be sorted out

I don´t like the sound of that.

i'm inkleined to agree with you

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 25, 2009 20:17

The thing with the U2 reissues is you can get the normal version or the extra one. It's not just one. That's cool. And from the looks of things they give you EVERYTHING that was done at that time - different mixes and edit versions for radio, etc...B-sides, demos. Exactly what a serious (for lack of a better term) fan would want I would think.

I don't see why the Stones can't do that.

Posted by: Yazid Manou ()
Date: March 25, 2009 20:18

barbabang
It's a bit strange that we have to hear any news on this from a second hand source (unofficial) in France rather, than an official source from Universal. Don't they have a pr and marketing department?

Cool, I'm "a second hand source (unofficial)" !!! No one pushed me to give you the information. That's just my way to work. Maybe you would prefer I only send the news to the french media : then, you'll have to wait to get the infos from them. I'm the (freelance) PR for Universal France working on these Stones reissues and I also do work with the marketing dept of course. I'm just giving you some news before the press. Maybe you get later an "official source from Universal" if someone agrees to post here from UK,Spain, Germany or other european countries.

YM

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 25, 2009 20:28

I'm not alone in appreciating what you shared, Yazid. Please let us know if you get wind of a new studio album and thanks again.

Date: March 25, 2009 20:33

Well tell ya what Yazid, this whole thread started without any official info to begin with as we know it. You're the first one to pony up any thing official. Nor are you promising anything either, which is good, I guess. Not that you have anything to do with that aspect.

We all have hopes for what they could put out as extras. There's a lot out there. It seems to me that this is the last blast for the Stones as far as their catalogue and anything else they'd (possibly) like to release. Since box sets seem to have been delegated to oddball artists then all we can for is the reissues with an extra disc pertaining to the album sessions. If all of them include extra material that in itself works out to be the equivalent of a box set. Maybe not financially but in terms of music product.

At least, that's one way to look at it. Maybe they'll do that at a later time. Like you pointed out, still no official word from Universal. So until then, we have you to let us know what's going on that we are aware of. Which is, ha ha, only up to you, like you said.

Date: March 25, 2009 20:36

Yazid Manou
Exile on Main Street will be delivered with a bonus.

I spoke too fast saying bonus as we really do not have information yet. But for sure "Exile on Main Street" will be a DELUXE REISSUE.

YM

Date: March 25, 2009 20:38

barbabang
Now I hear rumors that it is being quietly released with nothing extra, so the only difference between these new versions and the Virgin versions will be the name Universal??
And maybe (just maybe) it is being "remastered" (brickwalled?)

I really can't believe this will be it.

Who would buy the CD's if it's exactly like the original ones that have been rematered!!
If that's the case - then the whole thing is completely ridiculous - noone will buy it.

Date: March 25, 2009 20:41

If they're not remastered - somebody will buy them regardless. You can't just say no one will buy them. Somebody will always buy them. Maybe just no one here.

Date: March 25, 2009 20:45

skipstone
So until then, we have you to let us know what's going on that we are aware of. Which is, ha ha, only up to you, like you said.

Thanks for your messages Skipston and Rocky Dijon ! I really hope to give you more news when I'll be able to do it. Informations arrive slowly but I'll be back to you. I know fans are excited and always wait for more and more material. The Hendrix fans became mad with the last communiqué by Experience Hendrix LLC (still Universal Music !) annoucing some "new" stuff this year so I perfectly understand you.

Stay tuned
YM

Date: March 25, 2009 20:46

skipstone
If they're not remastered - somebody will buy them regardless. You can't just say no one will buy them. Somebody will always buy them. Maybe just no one here.

Yeah, maybe a few ones will buy it, but it will not stimulate more sales than it would have been without it.
So what is the point of reissuing it? Just waste of ressources.
Like said before - Stones are very bad promoting themself - the sales are bad, you barely see them in the shops anymore.
In a few years they will be forgotten (except for Satisfaction and Start me Up) - that's all to stupidity and lack of will to keep the name up to date.

Date: March 25, 2009 20:48

the virgin contract is up, right? so, it figured someone would pick up the reissue rights - these albums will continue to sell with or without extras. don't see what the fuss is about...

Date: March 25, 2009 20:51

StonesTod
the virgin contract is up, right? so, it figured someone would pick up the reissue rights - these albums will continue to sell with or without extras. don't see what the fuss is about...

The fuss is all about:
- if the reissues will be without any additional thing than the original one.
If that's the case, what is then the "deluxe version"?

Date: March 25, 2009 21:08

Well the part we're missing is the focus might not be repeat customers who already own everything, but rather people who walk into a store and only find the ABKCO CDs when they were looking for something from the last 38 years. The product will be available again (in stages, just as they did with the Virgin contract) and the aim is for someone buying STICKY FINGERS or TATTOO YOU for themselves or as a gift. They're not aiming at someone who owns the same albums in every format they've ever been issued. Universal paid money to license these titles just as Virgin, Sony, Atlantic, etc. did before them. Its their product on shelves or online until the contract ends and the titles move elsewhere. The reaction of diehard fans wanting 5.1 remasters or bonus tracks or bonus DVD's isn't the focus.

Date: March 25, 2009 21:11

Rocky Dijon
Well the part we're missing is the focus might not be repeat customers who already own everything, but rather people who walk into a store and only find the ABKCO CDs when they were looking for something from the last 38 years. The product will be available again (in stages, just as they did with the Virgin contract) and the aim is for someone buying STICKY FINGERS or TATTOO YOU for themselves or as a gift. They're not aiming at someone who owns the same albums in every format they've ever been issued. Universal paid money to license these titles just as Virgin, Sony, Atlantic, etc. did before them. Its their product on shelves or online until the contract ends and the titles move elsewhere. The reaction of diehard fans wanting 5.1 remasters or bonus tracks or bonus DVD's isn't the focus.

right. that's why i asked what all the fuss and uproar is about. sure, they could add some goodies to these to get folks like us to buy 'em for the umpteenth time, but they'll sell to general morass either way....

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: March 25, 2009 21:29

Sorry I didn't know you were the pr person for Universal in France Yazid. Of course I'm happy to get any news. It's just frustating that it comes in bits and pieces. It is just unclear what the big plan is with these reissues. Are they just plain reissues, deluxe versions, etc. I was expecting to read te big plan somewhere, and that hasn't happened until now.

The bottom line for me is, I want to see a serious reissue program for The Rolling Stones, it is long long overdue.
And I have high expectations when they sign with Universal.
Let's hope for more news in the very near future!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-25 21:30 by barbabang.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: March 25, 2009 21:29

alimente
tatters

Itty bitty replicas of the postcards?

Dont know about those postcards, but my source told me that it will be a DVD with live cuts from 1972 "and/or" the Montreux tour rehearsals. Concerning the live material, there is no information available YET if its a compilation of cuts from either L&G and CS Blues or both. At this moment, any guesses that its one of the movies in its entirety are just that - guesses.

That's actually what I "recommended" on another thread for a regular audience a few weeks ago. If they don't dig down deep in the vaults this seems likely to me:
Combine the studio lp with live material of the accompanying tour
(btw, the Who did that with a handfull of songs of each lp of their first re-releases! Actually, Pete T really ripped off me/his fans with bonus-bonus-re-re-releases way too much!).
We might get Brussels Affair/Hampton/AtlanticCity (contractual with Axl?!) and even the latest DVD-only concerts of the last tours.
Take it as good news: If us die-hard fans won't hear no "new" material, then it means that the Stones will go on for some more years to come... before giving us the whole treasure.

Date: March 25, 2009 21:46

While promoting SHINE A LIGHT, both Mick and Keith made remarks about wanting to see CS Blues released. They also allowed Robert Frank to include some Stones footage (from the EXILE postcards photo sessions) in a DVD release of his own last year. Let's not forget the remastered audio and video from LADIES AND GENTLEMEN seen in 25 x 5 all those years ago. Its not impossible to think edited highlights of both films will be released with EXILE this Fall.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 25, 2009 22:06

Yazid:
Please tell them to make all albums remastered and with a bonus CD or a DVD.
I know you're not the one to say that to anybody you work for, but many people in the stones community wishes that.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: March 25, 2009 22:09

Rocky Dijon
Its not impossible to think edited highlights of both films will be released with EXILE this Fall.

I would actually be very pissed off if they made me wait for for almost 40 years, only to get higligts of those two movies.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: March 25, 2009 22:23

>I would actually be very pissed off if they made me wait for for almost 40 years, only to get higligts of those two movies.

I certainly don't want to see the montreux rehearsels as the only bonus (we have that already, and is easaly available on youtube) tagged on the dvd. I want to see and hear things we don't have already. Don't know how realistic that is, but that's what I would like to see.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-25 22:25 by barbabang.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: March 26, 2009 00:40

I'm both amused and saddened by a lot of the posts here. I'm amused because while some people here are complaining about the fact that these are just "reissues" without bonus stuff, others are asking why Universal has not officially announced these releases. Well, there's your answer!! There is no publicity from Universal about these releases because they are really not that big a deal: these are essentially the same discs that Virgin put out ... only (hopefully) remastered with 21st-century technology.

I'm saddened because of all the speculation and hopes in this thread about "deluxe editions" with bonuses, rarities, outtakes etc etc ... all of it fueled by a simple, innocent mistake about what "DD" stands for!! Universal never made any suggestions they would do anything along those lines, and yet now everybody seems to feel a crushing sense of disappointment. Who knows what the future holds in store ... maybe Universal will release a box set of Stones similar to Neil Young's Archive at Christmas? Maybe 2010 will see all kinds of Rolling Stones basement material released? You never know! Meanwhile, if you don't want to buy these Universal reissues, then don't.

Cheers!

Drew

Date: March 26, 2009 00:54

Drewmaster, I think it's the thread title that got people excited - and then disappointed, which is perfectly normal I think. Some of us have said all along, yeah that would be great but there has been no official word. Maybe that press release is misleading or being read into more than what is (was) said. There's also the assumption based on Universal's history with deluxe reissues having bonus material, better packaging and whatever else. DVDs I guess.

And it seems that there is a majority consensus that there isn't going to be anything extra or deluxe or whatever you want to call it. That's all it's about.

At least, from my point of view.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: March 26, 2009 00:58

skipstone,you were faster...

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 26, 2009 01:58

Yazid Manou
Yazid Manou

I spoke too fast saying bonus as we really do not have information yet. But for sure "Exile on Main Street" will be a DELUXE REISSUE.

YM

If there isn't any bonus material, then it's not a deluxe reissue. Deluxe, in this context, means you get something extra. The unreleased '72 live album on a bonus CD, and/or Ladies and Gentlemen on a bonus DVD. Something like that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-26 02:27 by tatters.

Date: March 26, 2009 03:00

tatters
If there isn't any bonus material, then it's not a deluxe reissue.

For me bonus meant : something more (more than the normal CD) : but the marketing dept insisted to name this one DELUXE REISSUE.

At this time I'm sorry, I do not know if there will be extras material on "Exile". We do not know yet the details of this album (to be released in october).

Information for the parisian fans :

Philippe Paringaux (ex-chief redactor of Rock & Folk magazine back in 1978) will sign the 2 Robert Greenfield books he translated :
"S.T.P. - A Journey Through America With the Rolling Stones"
"Exile on Main St.: A Season in Hell with the Rolling Stones".

March 26th Librairie Parallèles 47 rue Saint Honoré 75001 Paris, from 5 pm to 8 pm (Tél : 01 42 33 62 70)

YM

Date: March 26, 2009 03:39

Shortfatfanny, sometimes that's the way the dice tumble heh heh.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 26, 2009 10:48

skipstone

I think this is the "problem" as far as the masters themselves (The Stones and Universal) are concerned. They will sell in any case. The difference between the sells of plain re-issues and serious deluxes with bonuses is relatively small. So it is up to them and mostly to the will if they WANT to take care of their legacy with a care or not. The possible money to be achieved CANNOT be the motivation to drive them to do this- and unfortunately, the lack of this motive factor usually does not make Jagger very active...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-26 10:48 by Doxa.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728...LastNext
Current Page: 23 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2810
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home