Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526...LastNext
Current Page: 21 of 53
Re: Universal Records are to give 19 Rolling Stones albums a makeover "deluxe versions"
Posted by: melillo ()
Date: March 22, 2009 16:41

hope you are right, i would love to have it

Re: Universal Records are to give 19 Rolling Stones albums a makeover "deluxe versions"
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 22, 2009 16:47

drewmaster
melillo
cheers to neil young

I'm as frustrated with ol' Neil as I am with the Stones. Neil has blocked the remastering of most of his discs, and the Archives set has been delayed and delayed and delayed and delayed.

Drew

says here it'll be june 2:

[www.billboard.com]

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: March 22, 2009 16:59

T&A

[www.billboard.com]

Yeah, and I've got a bridge I can sell ya. At least the Stones don't string us along with endless promises that they keep breaking.

Drew

Date: March 22, 2009 17:02

is the bridge to babylon still available, i have some monopoly money i can spare

Date: March 22, 2009 18:08

drewmaster
T&A

[www.billboard.com]

Yeah, and I've got a bridge I can sell ya. At least the Stones don't string us along with endless promises that they keep breaking.

Drew

i'd bet on it this time. and, neil has at least had a decent run of excuses with new projects...gimme neil's generosity toward his fans anyday....

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 22, 2009 18:46

Gazza
JumpingKentFlash
Gazza
The entire point of Universal signing the Stones becomes more elusive by the day.

It'll probably seem elusive at this time, but when they go on tour and all the stuff starts happening, it'll probably make sense.

It still won't, but by all means keep up the cheerleading!

And from where do you know this? Fact is that neither you nor I knows anything about the deal. And it's not like Universal and The Stones can't think, so there must be something in it. I'm not cheerleading. You just need to loose the thought that the future is bleak, black and bad. Who says it will be? You might love it when it comes out.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: March 22, 2009 19:26

JumpingKentFlash
Gazza
JumpingKentFlash
Gazza
The entire point of Universal signing the Stones becomes more elusive by the day.

It'll probably seem elusive at this time, but when they go on tour and all the stuff starts happening, it'll probably make sense.

And from where do you know this? Fact is that neither you nor I knows anything about the deal. And it's not like Universal and The Stones can't think, so there must be something in it. I'm not cheerleading. You just need to loose the thought that the future is bleak, black and bad. Who says it will be? You might love it when it comes out.

in that case, keep up the jeerleading...

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: March 22, 2009 21:05

JumpingKentFlash
And it's not like Universal and The Stones can't think, so there must be something in it.

Must be something in it? And what if that whats in it is just taking over the distribution from EMI-Virgin?

I know some collectors think different, but just new catalog numbers dont make me piss in my pants for joy.

Date: March 22, 2009 22:08

relly man how many times do you want to listen to them tweek the EQ? AND PAY TOP DOLLAR FOR IT, POINTLESS

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-22 22:11 by melillo.

Date: March 22, 2009 22:09

alimente
JumpingKentFlash
And it's not like Universal and The Stones can't think, so there must be something in it.

Must be something in it? And what if that whats in it is just taking over the distribution from EMI-Virgin?

I know some collectors think different, but just new catalog numbers dont make me piss in my pants for joy.

It might be new catalogue numbers, and it might be a total revamping of the whole thing plus your beloved vault outtakes/alternates/live stuff. Who knows? Keep up yer spirits.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 22, 2009 22:16

JumpingKentFlash
Gazza
JumpingKentFlash
Gazza

My future happiness doesnt really depend on what the Rolling Stones do or don't do, but thanks for your concern!

Date: March 23, 2009 00:38

I'm not bashing you. I'm just wondering why you have that view of this whole thing?

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: March 23, 2009 10:36

Further 'update' on MusicTap

"I've received some emails concerning the upcoming Rolling Stones reissues on UMe. There were concerns expressed. Well, I'm here to reassure you that not only are the titles I mentioned earlier (Sticky Fingers; Black and Blue; It's Only Rock 'n' Roll; Goat's Head Soup) will indeed be available to you on May 5 (On April 28 if you want DD). In fact, there are now new additions to those titles. On June 9, you'll be able to reacquire reissues for Emotional Rescue; Undercover; and Tattoo You (those three will be available as DD (Digital Download) on June 2). Let's hope these are title upgrades. More info to follow..."

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 23, 2009 11:14

JumpingKentFlash
I'm not bashing you. I'm just wondering why you have that view of this whole thing?

Perhaps following the band for some decades gives one sort of realistic perspective of what to expect.

The more I personally think the matter - and compare them to some other artists - I think the problem seems to be that they don't really appreciate the value of their work, as a "pure piece of art". I think their attitude is very pragmatic and instrumental as far as their catalog is concerned. The albums were done in a given framework, and serving certain function, they were "hot" and significant when they were on charts and selling millions, and when they toured behind them. But after that hectic time, they were left behind (only perhaps to seen as a song material to pick up certain obscurities to a recent set list). "Who wants yesterday's records, who want's yesterday's girl..." In a way I dig their attitude "it is just a goddamn record we once did no matter if it is called a masterpiece by the critics or fans or whatever." Even though the old albums are steady sellers [and for that reason they got good deals with record companies, plus selling their 'prestige'], there is no huge difference if it is a deluxe or not, added with extras or not. The possible NEW ALBUM OR BEST OF COMPILATION is the source for bigger money. I think this explains to a degree their attitude of "don't care". No SUCH a big money in history.

Okay, I think what I described here is a general problem with the Stones as far as their own legacy is concerned. For us fans who see those albums as masterpieces and musical values of their own, and to be treated solely in terms of their own, The Stones have a "serious attitude problem". Or at least their boss does.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-23 11:26 by Doxa.

Date: March 23, 2009 11:56

Braincapers

"I've received some emails concerning the upcoming Rolling Stones reissues on UMe. There were concerns expressed. Well, I'm here to reassure you that not only are the titles I mentioned earlier (Sticky Fingers; Black and Blue; It's Only Rock 'n' Roll; Goat's Head Soup) will indeed be available to you on May 5 (On April 28 if you want DD). In fact, there are now new additions to those titles. On June 9, you'll be able to reacquire reissues for Emotional Rescue; Undercover; and Tattoo You (those three will be available as DD (Digital Download) on June 2). Let's hope these are title upgrades. More info to follow..."

Cool. But where is Some Girls?

Drew

Date: March 23, 2009 13:52

why is that cool, they are just reissues

Date: March 23, 2009 13:58

melillo
why is that cool, they are just reissues

As I noted above, these are going to be remasters, not just reissues, if history serves as any guide.

Drew

Date: March 23, 2009 14:27

drewmaster
Braincapers

Cool. But where is Some Girls?

Drew

And Exile?

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: March 23, 2009 15:06

Universal,

don´t forget to reissue AND remaster this compilation !
(including the competent liner notes ,remember virgin´s advertisements ?)

DO IT AGAIN !

Date: March 23, 2009 15:43

JumpingKentFlash

I know you're not and I wouldnt ever take it as that.

If I'm becoming increasing cynical in the last decade, its based on having plenty of experience of being shortchanged. The Stones don't give a shit about their legacy or how they'll be remembered, unfortunately. Its all about how much money they can make in a short time for the least effort and its becoming more obvious with each passing year. Believe me, it gives me absolutely no pleasure in saying it.

Minor sonic tweaks of the same stuff over & over every few years just doesnt excite me. If I'm going to buy these albums for the fifth time, then they'll need to do better than that. To me, the Virgin releases sounded fine. The hearing ability of these 45 year old ears isn't going to improve in years to come and I would suspect that most Stones fans' are older than I am.

The Stones have done their best to ensure that younger audiences have been excluded from their shows in recent years, so that's a lost generation of potential fans if you like. I dont think theyre going to be rushing out to buy this stuff and I seriously doubt there are too many fans left out there who are going to either upgrade without the caveat of bonus material or buy this stuff for the first time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-23 19:11 by Gazza.

Date: March 23, 2009 15:49

drewmaster
T&A

[www.billboard.com]

Drew

Yes they do. Frequently.

It must be comforting however to have no sense of excitment from your favourite band and zero optimism or expectations.

Anyway, maybe this pic will convince you

[www.thrasherswheat.org]

Now, imagine a Stones release of 9 audio discs of material from 1963-72 plus a restored DVD of 'Ladies & Gentlemen'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-24 15:23 by Gazza.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 23, 2009 16:11

Keeping spirits up about something one would like when there is no information that points towards any facts is like a few other things in this world that people do that results in a waste of time, effort and place of mind.

Hell, I've been hoping that 'one day' all B-sides and cool remixes (One Hit, Undercover) would come out on CD. With exception to Miss You and one version of Harlem Shuffle and the more recent B-sides - OK, Rarities helped out with two that I thought I'd never get to hear on CD - it's obviously never going to happen.

So I don't have any hope anymore. For all we know UM took the EMI issues and got some white out and put their logo over that.

Posted by: Yazid Manou ()
Date: March 24, 2009 18:21

Yazid Manou
Most of the releases should be out on may, june and july.

You did not need me to get the list but here it is anyway :

MAY
Sticky Fingers
Goats Head Soup
It's Only Rock 'N' Roll
Black And Blue

JUNE
Some Girls
Emotional Rescue
Tattoo You
Undercover

JULY
Dirty Work
Steel Wheels
Voodoo Lounge
Bridges To Babylon
A Bigger Bang

OCTOBER
Exile On Main Street

YM

Date: March 24, 2009 19:19

Yazid Manou
Yazid Manou
Most of the releases should be out on may, june and july.

You did not need me to get the list but here it is anyway :

MAY
Sticky Fingers
Goats Head Soup
It's Only Rock 'N' Roll
Black And Blue

JUNE
Some Girls
Emotional Rescue
Tattoo You
Undercover

JULY
Dirty Work
Steel Wheels
Voodoo Lounge
Bridges To Babylon
A Bigger Bang

OCTOBER
Exile On Main Street

YM

Many thanks. Sounds nice.
3 questions:

1.- Are they remastered?
2.- Do they have extra stuff on them?
3.- Will they be released as digipacks or will it be standard jewel cases?

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 24, 2009 19:54

Gazza

The Stones don't give a shit about their legacy or how they'll be remembered, unfortunately. Its all about how much money they can make in a short time for the least effort and its becoming more obvious with each passing year.

The Stones have done their best to ensure that younger audiences have been excluded from their shows in recent years, so that's a lost generation of potential fans if you like. I dont think theyre going to be rushing out to buy this stuff and I seriously doubt there are too many fans left out there who are going to either upgrade without the caveat of bonus material or buy this stuff for the first time.

As I see it:

1) "money is all that counts" is a description that does not suit the case. There is no doubt that if all the new releases had only one or two outtakes added to the list, most of us would buy the whole catalog once again,even if these are all well known. Might be only me, but I always respected them for keeping the bootleg market substantially unrestricted. If a fan wants something, it can have it without big problems. Yes quality is an issue. But the latest releases of Wood recrords are there to prove that in most cases there is nothing much you can do to improve old material.

2) As for young audiences, probably you are not too familiar with the ticket prices of "hot" young acts. Every now and then, as a matter of curiosity, I check out new bands, and I can assure you that MOST ticket prices are awfully high. Probably the stones were the trend setters, but for sure they are not the only ones! Then again, if I compare what the average youngster pays in a season for football games and merchandise (also in the UK) how can the occasional 90/100 euros for a stones concert be a problem? And don't forget that if a concert is expensive, nowdays all studio releases are downloaded for free ...

C

Date: March 24, 2009 19:57

JumpingKentFlash
[3 questions:

1.- Are they remastered?

Kent,

I guess you did not read Yazids post from 4 days ago - this probably explains why you are still so optimistic. He already answered two of your three questions:

"I'm waiting more details as I will have to send a communiqué to the french media soon. Most of the releases should be out on may, june and july. No additionnal material on these remastered albums.

YM"

1 - they are, according to Yazid, remastered

2 - there is NO additionnal material on these remastered albums

Date: March 24, 2009 19:58

liddas: i don't understand your point about the bootleg market. can you expand on that?

Date: March 24, 2009 20:08

alimente
JumpingKentFlash
[3 questions:

1.- Are they remastered?

Kent,

I guess you did not read Yazids post from 4 days ago - this probably explains why you are still so optimistic. He already answered two of your three questions:

"I'm waiting more details as I will have to send a communiqué to the french media soon. Most of the releases should be out on may, june and july. No additionnal material on these remastered albums.

YM"

1 - they are, according to Yazid, remastered

2 - there is NO additionnal material on these remastered albums

Hey thanks. Didn't see that, or then I forgot. smiling smiley
Who is this Yazid dude? Anybody know? He's awfully quiet, and only posts a few times.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: March 24, 2009 20:12

liddas
Gazza

The Stones don't give a shit about their legacy or how they'll be remembered, unfortunately. Its all about how much money they can make in a short time for the least effort and its becoming more obvious with each passing year.

As I see it:

1) "money is all that counts" is a description that does not suit the case. There is no doubt that if all the new releases had only one or two outtakes added to the list, most of us would buy the whole catalog once again,even if these are all well known. Might be only me, but I always respected them for keeping the bootleg market substantially unrestricted. If a fan wants something, it can have it without big problems. Yes quality is an issue. But the latest releases of Wood recrords are there to prove that in most cases there is nothing much you can do to improve old material.

2) As for young audiences, probably you are not too familiar with the ticket prices of "hot" young acts. Every now and then, as a matter of curiosity, I check out new bands, and I can assure you that MOST ticket prices are awfully high. Probably the stones were the trend setters, but for sure they are not the only ones! Then again, if I compare what the average youngster pays in a season for football games and merchandise (also in the UK) how can the occasional 90/100 euros for a stones concert be a problem? And don't forget that if a concert is expensive, nowdays all studio releases are downloaded for free ...

C

1) Not all unreleased material circulates on bootlegs. Only a fraction of it does. In the era of downloading, they could easily make the individual bonus tracks available on i-tunes anyway.

2) 90 or 100 Euros is not the average for a Stones concert in the UK. Its considerably more. (its also considerably more in the UK than elsewhere in Europe because they insist we buy seated tickets, but thats another discussion)

Its also considerably more than the average for a concert ticket by almost anyone in the UK, regardless of whether theyre a new act or an established one. Believe me, I've looked at them and I've bought plenty as well.

You cant compare merchandise for football, because its a different market and different audience. The barometer is concert tickets with other acts. And football is only really extremely pricey if you're following the Premiership. Maybe theres a comparison after all - I'd imagine that, like the Stones, Chelsea's demographic has changed significantly in the last few years.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 24, 2009 20:12

T&A
liddas: i don't understand your point about the bootleg market. can you expand on that?

Not much to add!

As far as a recording (live / outtake) remains non published, it is basically up to the Stones to decide if react or not against unauthorized circulation of boots. As a matter of fact the stones have always tolerated bootlegs. And I am thankful for this. Just consider the huge amount of stuff that's now available. For free. Now just think if this stuff was published. Always available, but you would have to pay! And I am quite sure that Univresal's lawyers don't share the same attitude that the stones have towards bootlegs ...

C

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526...LastNext
Current Page: 21 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2502
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home