Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 53
Re: Universal Records are to give 19 Rolling Stones albums a makeover "deluxe versions"
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 13, 2009 04:58

So...what? EMI has control over the masters? The Stones do, not EMI. That's how I've always understood it.

And EMI're just gonna throw away (or whatever however) all those CDs that didn't sell? That's just stupid.

Re: Universal Records are to give 19 Rolling Stones albums a makeover "deluxe versions"
Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: February 13, 2009 11:27

The only reason to by the cd's again, is if they come out in 2 cd-versions both remastered and remixed a la the Deep Purple remasters. Also unreleased tracks of course!

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: February 13, 2009 11:59

skipstone
I recall NO hype whatsoever of the Virgin reissues. They just showed up one day.

Yeah, I can't recall much hype of the reissues either. If I remember right, they were issued the same day as Voodoo Lounge (which was certainly hyped). [EDIT: Oops, I was wrong. VL came out July 12. The reissues came out two weeks later]. Plus there was all the tour hype.

It was quite a year for those who love the Stones, wasn't it? Come to think of it, it was the kind of year many of us were/are hoping '09 would be...

Drew

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-02-14 00:56 by drewmaster.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: February 13, 2009 14:42

skipstone
So...what? EMI has control over the masters? The Stones do, not EMI. That's how I've always understood it.

And EMI're just gonna throw away (or whatever however) all those CDs that didn't sell? That's just stupid.

Thats not what I was saying. Of course, the Stones control the masters. Theyve leased them to Virgin-EMI and theyre now leasing them to Universal EXCLUSIVELY. contracts do have expiry dates. that means that Universal had to wait until the old contract with EMI expired. then theres a certain stock clearance period after the contract expiry date when EMI is allowed to get rid of their remaining stocks of Stones titles. once the stock clearing period is over, remaining copies of EMI Stones albums must be destroyed. of course, Universal could also take over remaing stocks from EMI. but I doubt that Universal is interested to sell EMI manufactured CDs.

footnote: with digital downloads, there are no "stocks". consequently, there is no stock clearing period for digital downloads. and thats why Universal already took over the Itunes Stones business from EMI while at the same time we have to wait a little bit longer for physical product - CDs, Vinyl, whatever.

Date: February 13, 2009 17:09

OK. So what that means is Universal couldn't do anything at all until EMI's contract ran out as well as Virgin's (I forget which one expired first), which was what all that hype was about in May of last year?

I would think since they were remastered in 1993 that they'll get Ludwig to do it again (I would hope so anyway) and they already know where everything is. That would at least bring some familiarity to doing it so it might not take so long. How anything from Some Girls on needs to be remastered I couldn't tell because they all sound as they do where as the Sticky Fingers - Black And Blue albums did indeed sound better.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: February 13, 2009 17:28

According to Wikepedia (oh yeh)
Pre 1994 material- released by Universal Records
Post 1994 - Intersope
"New" material - Polydor.
As they are all part of the same group, the detail seems a bit irrelevant.
There will be some logic there, presumably.
Oh, and of course:
Pre 1971: ABKCO- distributed by Universal !

Date: February 13, 2009 17:38

Huh.

Well, Jump Back was released in November of 1993. I don't know when exactly the Virgin remasters came out other than sometime in 1994.

Date: February 13, 2009 17:40

Just curious - I've seen a different cover for the US release of Jump Back - but that was just the wrapper. Did anyone get this and was the actual cover of the album on the booklet the same as the UK release?

Date: February 13, 2009 17:47

skipstone
OK. So what that means is Universal couldn't do anything at all until EMI's contract ran out as well as Virgin's (I forget which one expired first), which was what all that hype was about in May of last year?

The Stones signed with Virgin in the early 90s, and Virgin was bought by EMI shortly afterwards, so there are not two contracts (one with Virgin, one with EMI) - it is just one contract between the Stones and Virgin which was taken over by EMI when they bought Virgin.

"That hype in May of last year" was just that the Stones decided not to make a new contract with EMI, but instead opted to sign a deal with Universal for the time after the EMI deal expired. as I have mentioned before, the Stones can sign a new deal anytime, but that does not mean that the new deal can come into effect immediately. so if the Universal deal runs until. lets say, December 31, 2012, they could theoretically sign a new deal with Sony for the years 2013 and onwards NOW, but that surely doesnt allow Sony to distribute Stones CDs now - they would have to wait at least until January 1st, 2013.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-02-13 17:48 by alimente.

Date: February 13, 2009 18:13

And the biggest irony of all is that they are now tied with ABKCO on the same label. Except according to wikistupia.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: February 14, 2009 00:45

skipstone
I don't know when exactly the Virgin remasters came out other than sometime in 1994.

It was on Mick's birthday ... Jul 26.

Maybe that's when the Universals will come out too? Let us hope.

Drew

Date: February 14, 2009 01:39

That's hilarious!

Date: March 4, 2009 05:29

OK. Sorry to dredge this back up but it's March 3rd now! No news about anything yet! In fact, if you do a search the only info that comes up is from HERE! Well, and that one article.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: March 18, 2009 14:43

from [www.musictap.net] but nothing exciting

Here they come. We knew it was coming and now they’re here. UMe, who assumed the Rolling Stones contract along with their non-Abkco titles, will reissue some Rolling Stones titles on the UMe label. I’m guessing that there is no re-mastering or expansions but, rather, just getting these physical discs into stores with the “proper” labeling. The affected titles, planned for May 5 are: Black and Blue; Goat’s Head Soup; It’s Only Rock ‘n’ Roll; and Sticky Fingers.

Date: March 18, 2009 15:59

And my guess is nobody will notice.

Posted by: LastStopThisTown ()
Date: March 18, 2009 18:18

Braincapers
from [www.musictap.net] but nothing exciting

Here they come. We knew it was coming and now they’re here. UMe, who assumed the Rolling Stones contract along with their non-Abkco titles, will reissue some Rolling Stones titles on the UMe label. I’m guessing that there is no re-mastering or expansions but, rather, just getting these physical discs into stores with the “proper” labeling. The affected titles, planned for May 5 are: Black and Blue; Goat’s Head Soup; It’s Only Rock ‘n’ Roll; and Sticky Fingers.

Apparently these are 2009 Remasters, though there are no additional tracks yawning smiley( Maybe they'll go 'Deluxe' later on (following a tour??), no need to release them when stones action is quiet.

Date: March 18, 2009 19:24

Thats what I have guessed, no, actually FEARED some pages ago in this thread.

"Apparently these are 2009 Remasters" ? Apparently not. Apparently they are just 2009 Universal releases. Universal did not use new remasters for their download re-release a couple of weeks ago, why should these new CDs be remasters? Well, probably the old Virgin remasters!

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: March 18, 2009 19:32

That´s funny,if that´s true there will be some real limited editions of
Universal´s repackaging department,maybe you can get them with a Kellogs or
Cola package specially priced...and therefore all the excitement ?

If it´s true...

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: March 18, 2009 23:29

what a joke, makes no sence what so ever

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: March 19, 2009 02:26

skipstone
And my guess is nobody will notice.
notice what?...

Date: March 19, 2009 06:02

Huh?

Posted by: Yazid Manou ()
Date: March 20, 2009 13:36

Braincapers

I've been hired by Universal Music France to promote the Stones reissues. In 2002, I worked on the 22 SACD releases.

For now, we're still waiting the final list of 14 (fourteen) remastered albums.

YM

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 20, 2009 13:43

I've been hired by Universal Music France to promote the Stones reissues

Wow!! .... That's a good-one....please ...Anything you can tell us???

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Yazid Manou ()
Date: March 20, 2009 14:37

Rockman

Anything you can tell us???

I'm waiting more details as I will have to send a communiqué to the french media soon. Most of the releases should be out on may, june and july. No additionnal material on these remastered albums.

YM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-20 14:38 by Yazid Manou.

Posted by: LastStopThisTown ()
Date: March 20, 2009 14:58

I know i was knocked back before, but my close source (yeah yeah yeah) ensures me these are 2009 remasters (but with no additional tracks)... we shall see.

Date: March 20, 2009 15:31

Looks like I had better find that Virgin reissue of Goats Head Soup somewhere since I still can't find the one I lost. I'm sure it will be cheaper than a Universal reissue. And it will sound just the same.

So nothing extra on the Universal reissues.

So then...what's the point? I just don't get it.

I'm gonna start collecting the U2 reissues of their albums. Those make sense - the original album and the second disc is of everything done for it - remixes, edits, different mixes, demos, finished but unreleased, etc... I guess those are deluxe.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 20, 2009 16:32

If there are fourteen titles in the May-June-July schedule, then they are doing the same thing they did with Virgin and releasing the studio albums first (STICKY FINGERS through A BIGGER BANG is fourteen albums) with live albums and compilations to follow at a later date.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 20, 2009 17:46

The entire point of Universal signing the Stones becomes more elusive by the day.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: March 20, 2009 17:48

Gazza
The entire point of Universal signing the Stones becomes more elusive by the day.

Yeah. It's one of those things that just make you shake your head and I can't feeling really annoyed about all those opportunities that they lose out on. Instead we will probably have some stupid Easter Holiday Sale from RS.com coming up, giving us tongue-branded eggs and bunny ears...

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: March 20, 2009 18:33

Lorenz
Gazza

Yeah. It's one of those things that just make you shake your head and I can't feeling really annoyed about all those opportunities that they lose out on. Instead we will probably have some stupid Easter Holiday Sale from RS.com coming up, giving us tongue-branded eggs and bunny ears...

Easter Bobble-eggs ,probably...IF that´s all about this new contract :
Sir Mick did a great job !
Even Pearl Jam´s Ten got a deluxe release today,wow !

Maybe all our speculations went in the wrong (or right ) direction :
(...depends on one´s point of view ...)
The (still not confirmed) FACT that universal is going to release 14 remastered (?) Stones albums itself has to be called DELUXE.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2488
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home