Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 53
Re: Universal Records are to give 19 Rolling Stones albums a makeover "deluxe versions"
Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: August 22, 2008 18:36

I´ll believe it when I see it.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Re: Universal Records are to give 19 Rolling Stones albums a makeover "deluxe versions"
Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: August 22, 2008 18:37

this is great news, altough I have to ask : what is the source?

If true then finally something to look forward to. Right now I'm just glad that something is going to happen. I will bitch about it later! (promise)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-22 18:39 by barbabang.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 22, 2008 18:42

Perhaps they'll give the albums the 5.1 treatment. The Who's Tommy and Dark Side Of The Moon sound amazing in their 5.1 format.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 22, 2008 18:49

>Thinking about what could be on these releases........

You're a "glass half full" kinda guy Kent. Unfortunately theres a few of us who are more likely to think of it as "what WONT be on these releases...." !

>How to expand on a "best of" CD (Like Jump Back)??? A DVD with videos of the songs????

An idea which is long overdue.

>How about Live Licks? What would be a special disc for that one?

one that doesnt play at all? smiling smiley

> It's 2 discs already. Will it include those versions of Hand Of Fate and that stuff that was on singles???

Possible. The original track listing had 33 songs listed (which presumably had substantial edits to enable it to fit onto two discs). the released version (presumably) kept the same edits, but chopped off ten songs and had a running time of 109 minutes - with the edits kept in, even though there was still 50 minutes of space on the discs..

>Stripped - A DeLuxe version including the live b-side tracks (Awesome idea).

Yes..plus (even better) the unreleased studio material.

>What with Bridges? Ain't there only one b-side (Anyway You Look At It)?

yes..and it was a turd. Theres a few outtakes though. Most of them with Keith on vocals.

>Using these releases to gather all the single b-sides and that kind of stuff is a great idea.

No..its dreadful. Most of them are (or should have been) on Rarities. Buying 17 discs to get a series of released songs which could fit on one disc is a horrendous rip off if thats what theyre intending to do. Seriously - whats so 'great' about it? Put the f*cking things onto a release of their own instead of holding fans to ransom expecting them to buy the whole lot for the 4th or 5th time just get a few demos.

>I also hope for unreleased material though (I have no problem with it since it will most likely be on another disc}

Dont know about that. Most of these albums are "LP length" (40-45 minutes). Plenty of room on them for four or five unreleased songs. I cant imagine bonus discs being the norm.

>grinning smiley<Re: Universal Records are to give 19 Rolling Stones albums a makeover "deluxe versions"
Date: August 22, 2008 18:59

Worst case scenario : as bonus : 5 tracks max. and all from cd singles etc. Nothing 'new'.
After milking the cow for 3 years we can expect the first 'boxed' set with archive material.

I think this will hit the 10 pages in no time

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: August 22, 2008 19:05

How to beef up Jump Back. Well, for one, make it better than the Virgin side of Licks (which is practically is anyway). Maybe this, a double album - all of the single edited versions where possible, so it is a little different than the LP versions:

Start Me Up
Brown Sugar
One Hit
Shattered
Happy
Harlem Shuffle
IORR
Mixed Emotions - it says on Amazon that this is on it - my copy doesn't have it!
She's So Cold
Angie
Highwire
Tumbling Dice
Crazy Mama
Fool To Cry
Miss You
All Down The Line - that was going to be a single right? Well, why not?
She Was Hot
Hang Fire
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo
Rip This Joint
Hot Stuff
Emotional Rescue
Respectable
Ain't Too Proud To Beg
Beast of Burden
Almost Hear You Sigh
Waiting On A Friend
Wild Horses
Time Waits For No One
Bitch
Undercover Of The Night
Sex Drive

Posted by: toomuchforme ()

Can you feel it ? excitation. Already 2 comments pages in 2 hours...

Well the "deluxe" would be SACD releases in cardboard sleeves with the regular record and a second one with real alternate mixes, B-sides, 12" etc...
or at least a JVC 24 bits remaster like for the Mororhead Japanese editions made this year.
The sound my friends, the sound... we are talking about music.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()

Hip-O Records is releasing these. From what I've heard, these are vanilla releases. The Virgin masters with new logos slapped on 'em just like the Atlantic reissues of Mick's first two solo discs in 1993. They are expected to hit shelves quite soon.

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: August 22, 2008 19:07

Milking the cow both hands at a time...

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: August 22, 2008 19:08

I'll put my celebration on hold until I know actually what these "deluxe" versions entail. However, as pointed out, if they are anything like the the deluxe editons that have been already put out (Who's Next, Live at the Fillmore East, etc.) then for the moment I will say I'm...intrigued.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: August 22, 2008 19:12

>Thinking about what could be on these releases........

You're a "glass half full" kinda guy Kent. Unfortunately theres a few of us who are more likely to think of it as "what WONT be on these releases...." !

>>> I know. I'm staying positive though. smiling smiley
If these releases only gathers up the single b-sides and stuff like that, I won't be disappointed. In this way, fans can choose to buy them or not. They'll most likely have these tracks anyway (Which is not the way I buy Stones. I'm going after the releases, not the songs. I recently acquired Rewind by the way).

>How to expand on a "best of" CD (Like Jump Back)??? A DVD with videos of the songs????

An idea which is long overdue.

>>> Indeed. It's a good idea, but what about all the other videos? We need those released too. Heck, they could even include the video for Let's Work. grinning smiley

>How about Live Licks? What would be a special disc for that one?

one that doesnt play at all? smiling smiley

>>> It's weird to think about this particular one. What on earth could they expand this with? A full blown soundtrack to Four Flicks? winking smiley

> It's 2 discs already. Will it include those versions of Hand Of Fate and that stuff that was on singles???

Possible. The original track listing had 33 songs listed (which presumably had substantial edits to enable it to fit onto two discs). the released version (presumably) kept the same edits, but chopped off ten songs and had a running time of 109 minutes - with the edits kept in, even though there was still 50 minutes of space on the discs..

>>> So an expansion is indeed possible...... Nice. But will it happen?

>Stripped - A DeLuxe version including the live b-side tracks (Awesome idea).

Yes..plus (even better) the unreleased studio material.

>>> Also that. The version of Honest I Do is better than their original studio version, and just about as awesome as anything gets.

>What with Bridges? Ain't there only one b-side (Anyway You Look At It)?

yes..and it was a turd. Theres a few outtakes though. Most of them with Keith on vocals.

>>> I know you don't like it. I do though. What are those outtakes? I didn't know about any other stuff from Bridges apart from the album itself, and AYLAI.

>Using these releases to gather all the single b-sides and that kind of stuff is a great idea.

No..its dreadful. Most of them are (or should have been) on Rarities. Buying 17 discs to get a series of released songs which could fit on one disc is a horrendous rip off if thats what theyre intending to do. Seriously - whats so 'great' about it? Put the f*cking things onto a release of their own instead of holding fans to ransom expecting them to buy the whole lot for the 4th or 5th time just get a few demos.

>>> Yes, but if you own the b-sides already, what's the problem?
Regarding the demos: I'll burn you a copy of the extra tracks, if any.

>I also hope for unreleased material though (I have no problem with it since it will most likely be on another disc}

Dont know about that. Most of these albums are "LP length" (40-45 minutes). Plenty of room on them for four or five unreleased songs. I cant imagine bonus discs being the norm.[/quote]

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: August 22, 2008 19:16

Yer a tough man, Gazza--and rightly so, given how shoddy most of the product has been for lo these many years. If it were up to me, I'd designate you Sergeant-at-Arms for Quality Control at Stones, Inc. You and Rick Rubin together could take on Mick and Keith.

Still, I have to admit that I'm pretty intrigued by the idea of the Universal Deluxe Editions. The Marley/Wailers series--which most closely approximates the Stones catalogue for scope and historical importance--is sensational. The original album is usually filled out with rarities, outtakes and b-sides on the first disc, while the second CD often includes material from a contemporaneous live performance. I'm imagining say, "Bridges," with "Anyway You Look At It," Keith's version of "Juiced" and maybe an alternate "Gunface." Then, for the second disc, maybe "Live At The 10 Spot" and some of the MSG '98 live rarities.

It's a lovely daydream for sure, but check out the Deluxe Sonic Youth "Daydream Nation"--no more elaborate than that.

Finally, we should all take heart in that such a series--or at least the first part of it--will surely be pegged to the opening of the 2009 tour in exactly the way the ABKCO remasters were in '02.

All of which means that the money I'll be funneling to the Glimmers, Charlie and Mr. (late) Midlife Crisis will be extraordinary...

Date: August 22, 2008 19:24

I'm excited...and very pessimistic. I'm guessing that this is the end of the road for them as far as labels go - they will not go any further once they are done, hence UNIV going ahead and giving us 'deluxe editions'. Maybe a box set to follow. Who knows. I, for one, will be extremely pleased to have all of the B-sides and hopefully some of the 'remixes' like One Hit and whatever else that was cool on CD. And if they do include some unreleased finished tracks, like Criss Cross Man and whatever else - that's great.

If they are just the same ol' records with just a new label print on them, I will not bother.

So we need to stick together here and help our own fellow IORRians SAVE MONEY on buying THE SAME RECORDS AGAIN if they are not worth it!

Until we know...let the excitement reign!

That is odd they left Some Girls out. What else? ABB has, as far as we know, 2 extra tracks from the sessions...what, they don't want to revamp Flashpoint!? And why not reissue Rewind if they're going to revamp Jump Back? Rewind had LYRICS! And yeah - where the hell is Sucking In The Seventies? Well, maybe that one doesn't need revamping - I do like it just the way it is.

Yeah, Live Licks - it had BETTER be the proper (read: NO) edits and why not include more songs? Hell yeah! There must have been more they could have added to No Security. Ha ha...I love bitching like this!

Date: August 22, 2008 19:49

I'm not too pessimistic Skipstone. I think they WILL release a new studio album (in one form or another)

If the artist is willing the deluxe versions can be very good (Paul Weller's Wild Wood for example, also from Universal by the way)

Date: August 22, 2008 19:53

They must have at least an extra disc full of bonus material for me to justify buying these releases a second (and some a third) time!

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: August 22, 2008 19:53

And to think I was chastised(?) awhile back for saying that Universal was as interested in the old album rights as a "new" album! Hmmmm!

Posted by: wee bobby lennox ()
Date: August 22, 2008 19:57

talking about milking the cow,

how many compilation albums from the 60,s do you have to buy to get all the previously unreleased songs.

i tried to work out once which ones to buy, i learned that i would need to get another 50 odd songs but would have to buy another 13 or so albums.

Date: August 22, 2008 19:59

Hey - I'm all for a new album as well! The handling of the back catalogue is just as important, I think, as moving forward as well. It's probably quite clear that some people could care less if they make another record but then they don't have to buy it now do they? Maybe they can come up with one last fantastic album. I, for one, love A Bigger Bang just because it sort of comes off as a proper follow up to Some Girls - strictly in terms of energy and the snarliness of some of the tunes...and gets back to that aggressive rock'n'roll sound they captures spottily on the previous 2 albums as well as...um...well, maybe Undercover in some places. Let's just say aggressive mixing as far as guitars are concerned.

Date: August 22, 2008 20:04

skipstone
Hey - I'm all for a new album as well! The handling of the back catalogue is just as important, I think, as moving forward as well. It's probably quite clear that some people could care less if they make another record but then they don't have to buy it now do they? Maybe they can come up with one last fantastic album. I, for one, love A Bigger Bang just because it sort of comes off as a proper follow up to Some Girls - strictly in terms of energy and the snarliness of some of the tunes...and gets back to that aggressive rock'n'roll sound they captures spottily on the previous 2 albums as well as...um...well, maybe Undercover in some places. Let's just say aggressive mixing as far as guitars are concerned.

Indeed Bigger Bang was a breath of fresh air, I just wish it could've translated to the stage better (yes, I was there and have heard numerous boots of the shows)!

Posted by: mckalk ()
Date: August 22, 2008 20:15

Why have the Stones been so "precious" with their back catalog? Seems like most of icons have been willing to start the archive process (Dylan, Young, even the Beatles to some degree).

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: August 22, 2008 20:53

If they wan us to buy these albums again, all be it with bonus tracks they could at east issue them at a budget price there by effectively only paying for the bonus stuff.
I don't think they would issue a box set of rarities and alternatives as sales would not be very high , whereas if the rare track were attached to well know products they would be more cost affective to Universal
I have an alternative Voodoo Lounge (boot cd/DVD )with the Live Voodoo gig from New Jersey Aug 14 1995 on DVD that they sold at the early gigs on VHS, a bit of imagination from the alternative market that they could use as an example of what kind of thing to do

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: August 22, 2008 20:54

In the grand tradition of Rolling Stones marketing:

Deluxe Dirty Work = Back to Zero removed
Deluxe GHs = Can You Hear the Music removed
Deluxe Live Licks: Rocks Off removed

smiling smiley

Seriously though, Universal has to realize that they must offer some value propostition if they want to sell any of these. I don't think a sonic upgrade by itself is enough to move many units.

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: August 22, 2008 21:21

KSIE
Universal has to realize that they must offer some value propostition if they want to sell any of these. I don't think a sonic upgrade by itself is enough to move many units.

Especially at the $31.00 price for which the Deluxe Editions are listed!

I remain optimistic about this--I think we'll wind up with a lot more and a lot "deeper" material than any single boxed set would have provided. Also, I like the aesthetics of tying outtakes, jams, and live material from a certain period to the specific album that emerged.

If this work is done properly, it stands a chance of bolstering the profile and reputations of many oft-ignored "latter-day" ('71-present) records.

As one of those people (many on this board, of course) who thinks the Stones' albums get incredibly short shrift because of the sheer size of the catalogue, I think there is some real promise here. Both of the below are just excellent in every possible way:

[www.amazon.com]

[www.amazon.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-22 21:23 by Rev. Robert W..

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: August 22, 2008 21:29

Rev. Robert W.
Both of the below are just excellent in every possible way:

[www.amazon.com]

[www.amazon.com]

The nice thing about those Deluxe Discs you link is that Amazon offers the option of downloading 256kbps MP3s of individual songs at 99 cents per.

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: August 23, 2008 00:08

Barn Owl
...and will they be released on memory sticks?

Great marketing idea: The Memory Motel Stick, or The Sticky Finger.

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: August 23, 2008 00:12

Deluxe version of Made In The Shade. Mmmmmh...

And oddly enough, Some Girls, the album which sessions probably generated the most leftovers is not considered for a deluxe version?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-23 00:14 by Britney.

Posted by: textmonkey ()
Date: August 23, 2008 00:33

This is a real hard one to call. I guess the options are something along the lines of

a) re-release the albums vanilla, with a bit of sonic tweaking. Digitally remastered (again). Single CD
b) re-release album with a second disc which is, perhaps a 5.1 version - a la LOVE by the Beatles. Or offcuts/live-tracks from the era/b-sides
c) re-release albums with sonic tweaking but with a few odds'n'sods thrown onto the end of the disc.
d) option A and a separate boxset or collection of off-cuts.

The one that requires least effort by the Band is of course (a). However, judging by what folks here are saying and certainly i'd think it myself, the recent Virgin CDs sound fine. Also, the notion, as mooted, that these will be deluxe, implies we'll get something new. Paul McCartney re-released all his albums around 15 years ago and went with option (c) but had the good grace to sell them as mid-price, and they were quite tastefully presented, if that's what you're into.

Option (d) i don't think is a runner. Look at how poorly Rarities performed. I mean - leave aside that it was a steaming turd of a collection in the first instance, there just isn't the market for a collection of Rolling Stones material that wasn't good enough to release at the time of recording. Oh I don't doubt that people here would buy it - but Joe Public won't go for it, and Universal aren't in the business of selling niche product to a small market. They've ponied up good money for this back catalogue and they want a good return on it.

I think it'll have to be an option (b); when the Virgin Deal went ahead (and that's, 17(?) years ago, the band knew they'd future product in them to sell and that this would bolster back catalogue sales.

The number of new material albums and tours will be fairly limited and so The Rolling Stones Coming To Your Town might not be enough to give sales of, say, a vanilla version of Exile the shot in the arm it'll need. For *this* deal to come off for Universal, I suspect Mick'n'Keef will have so sit down and listen to some old tapes...Some of Bowies re-releases have been beautifully done - Ziggy, Aladdin Sane, Diamond Dogs etc

Bear in mind, that no more than with the Beatles or any other band with a huge following, that people don't like the brand of their band being tarnished with endless re-releases. Factor in the fact that torrenting will allow fans easy access to material they don't feel they *ought* to buy and the fact is that the material released, both in terms of tactile packaged product and the contents thereof will have to be special, i think, to make this Universals' while.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-23 00:35 by textmonkey.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 23, 2008 00:34

....from the NY Times re: Stones going to Universal..........the catalogue and its value is where its at...so I doubt they are going to milk it just to milk it...or do a shoddy job.....the re issues should be worth it....it means a lot of money for both...The Stones were only advanced $15M apparently for this deal according to the Times......

"As the band has aged, though, sales of its newer material have been dwarfed by the popularity of the older hits. Of the group’s 24 million albums sold in the United States since 1991, only about 3.5 million have been for new studio recordings, according to Nielsen SoundScan. The rest has been for catalog, live albums and other miscellany.

In its announcement about the new deal, Universal said that it was planning “an unprecedented, long-term campaign to reposition the Rolling Stones’ entire catalog for the digital age.”

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: August 23, 2008 01:10

toomuchforme
Can you feel it ? excitation. Already 2 comments pages in 2 hours...

Well the "deluxe" would be SACD releases in cardboard sleeves with the regular record and a second one with real alternate mixes, B-sides, 12" etc...
or at least a JVC 24 bits remaster like for the Mororhead Japanese editions made this year.
The sound my friends, the sound... we are talking about music.

toomuch, you nailed it!!! This is the best news I've heard all year!!! (If it's true!) WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

It IS the SOUND, baby!!!! It looks like Universal will finally bring the greatest music ever recorded ... the Rolling Stones ... to glorious new heights with 21st century technology. And please, add some extra yummy goodies, like toomuch lists.

And one more thing ... please give Keith's 2 solo discs, and Wandering Spirit, the same treatment...

Drew

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: August 23, 2008 01:20

The U2 "deluxe" editions released could be a hint,what has to be understood
with this "deluxe" and it´s by (island) universal.

It surely will depends on the outtakes and the huge amount of live material,the U2 concept is to leave the original record "as is" and expand the rest on a second
disc with additional booklet,pictures and so on.

The Under A Blood Red Sky will be released in september with second disc : dvd
with this redrocks show.

I´m curious as all here about those expands concerning the Stones,but I think it
will take years to follow a similar U2 concept.

If only the sound is refreshed : Thank you,I will buy not a single one !

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2778
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home