Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2627282930313233343536...LastNext
Current Page: 31 of 50
Re: HONK - Limited Edition compilation out April 19
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 27, 2019 06:53

In honor of Honk I'm listening to Forty Licks in the car today, a much better compilation, and no crap live cuts.

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: April 27, 2019 10:23

24FPS
In honor of Honk I'm listening to Forty Licks in the car today, a much better compilation, and no crap live cuts.

Isn’t there more compilation and live albums now than actual studio albums.
My thoughts on this retread is WHOOPIE SHIT !!! I have everyone of these songs in one form or another except for the Crap live cuts.

I’m sitting this one out.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 27, 2019 11:10

virgil

Isn’t there more compilation and live albums now than actual studio albums.

No, still more Studio-Albums (30) than (not added up) Compilations (25) and Live-Albums (26): [iorr.org] .

Posted by: Hendrik ()
Date: April 27, 2019 12:33

A little help through the Honk vinyl maze:

Hendrik

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-27 12:42 by Hendrik.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: April 27, 2019 12:51

schillid

T H A N K S

That's a nice way of putting it. Very nice, indeed!

"Jump Back" was cool when it came out. "40 Licks" is still their best hits compilation, even though I would have preferred a new full-length album by the Rolling Stones at the time it came out. "GRRR" wasn't for me but it does have the benefit of 2 new songs and the album title is kind of humorous.
Neither applies for "Honk".

If it helps the band with their setlists in the eyes of the ever so fickle casual fans to get away with playing more latter day material in concert, that's fine by me. But then why have they omitted "She Was Hot"?

I can only hope they know that the sales of "Honk" won't say anything about the demand for an album of new songs because these 2 releases are aimed at different kinds of audiences.

Maybe they just needed a product and Mick couldn't make it because he had that health issue and now, on comes the contractual obligation album? Here's wishing him the best and a full recovery.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-27 12:55 by billwebster.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: April 27, 2019 13:00

SomeGuy
ironbelly
kowalski
ironbelly
frankotero
I don't notice anything unusual with Harlem Shuffle. Maybe you got a bad disc?
There is very unpleasant sound in the very beginning. Some effect is compressed beyond reasonable. That effect is hidden deep on CBS, Virgin and recent Japanese SHM editions but pops brightly on 2009 remaster. I just checked all those versions. It sounds like a glitch at the end of the very 1st second (0.01) of the track.

Ironbelly, you're absolutely right. There's a annoying glitch at the beginning of Harlem Shuffle. I can't hear it on previous editions. It sounds like a tape glitch to me so maybe it was there from the start. But now it's clearly (and annoyingly) audible.
Yeap. It is there. But it was buried for all but 2009 remaster. Actually, it is present on Grrr! and for 25th single from 45x45 box. Somebody just brings it upfront during mastering.

Is this about the tiny, little, 0.001 seconds of f*rt that is barely audible (took me headphones to even discover it) in the right channel?
You do not need headphones to hear it
Look, this is Harlem Shuffle from CBS CD Dirty Work, Japan for Europe

And this is Harlem Shuffle from recent EU Honk CD

Red ovals mark problematic zone. In the case of CBS it looks like a sound effect or glitch that does not reach track peak. For Honk everything is compressed and maximized (probably, mechanically, without any care). As a result that effect pops almost to the maximal level. As a matter of fact the whole track sounds like a s^&t. Dynamic range for CBS is 14. For Honk it is 7.

35love
No compression? No lacking depth? Clear sound? Really? How about numbers
Bitch from old Sticky Fingers CBS CD has DR 15 with peak at -2 dB
Bitch from old Sticky Fingers Virgin CD has DR10 with peak at -0.02 dB
Bitch from new Honk CD has DR6 with peak at -0.01 dB
All Honk if flat, lifeless and directly to your face. Earbleeding.
‘Hate To See You Go’ is exactly the same bad overloaded and over compressed recording from Blue and Lonesome. I mean, bad from technological point of view.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-27 13:29 by ironbelly.

Date: April 27, 2019 13:35

Cover-Art for those interested only in the Live-Tracks:

[Tobias-Hall.co.uk]

Posted by: Matt1984 ()
Date: April 27, 2019 14:27

My response from customer service regarding the 4 LP LIVE cover and sleeve:

Hi Matthew,

Thank you for your message.

We have not been informed of any reprinting of the sleeves, so are unable to resend out to you.

Sorry for any disappointment caused.

If you are unhappy with the product you do have the option to return this back to us for a full refund.

It’s a big enough error for a reprinting so I’m hoping they receive more complaints.

Date: April 27, 2019 16:43

GasLightStreet
JumpinJimF
keefriffhard4life
i thought it was always "gimme shelter"

See label above from Let It Bleed 1969 (and on the LP cover too)

The original UK (Decca) and US (London) release as well as the 2002 reissue has it spelled Gimmie. Everywhere else it was spelled Gimme and since then it's been spelled Gimme.

wow. good info

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: April 27, 2019 19:04

ironbelly
SomeGuy
ironbelly
kowalski
ironbelly
frankotero
I don't notice anything unusual with Harlem Shuffle. Maybe you got a bad disc?
There is very unpleasant sound in the very beginning. Some effect is compressed beyond reasonable. That effect is hidden deep on CBS, Virgin and recent Japanese SHM editions but pops brightly on 2009 remaster. I just checked all those versions. It sounds like a glitch at the end of the very 1st second (0.01) of the track.

Ironbelly, you're absolutely right. There's a annoying glitch at the beginning of Harlem Shuffle. I can't hear it on previous editions. It sounds like a tape glitch to me so maybe it was there from the start. But now it's clearly (and annoyingly) audible.
Yeap. It is there. But it was buried for all but 2009 remaster. Actually, it is present on Grrr! and for 25th single from 45x45 box. Somebody just brings it upfront during mastering.

Is this about the tiny, little, 0.001 seconds of f*rt that is barely audible (took me headphones to even discover it) in the right channel?
You do not need headphones to hear it
Look, this is Harlem Shuffle from CBS CD Dirty Work, Japan for Europe

And this is Harlem Shuffle from recent EU Honk CD

Red ovals mark problematic zone. In the case of CBS it looks like a sound effect or glitch that does not reach track peak. For Honk everything is compressed and maximized (probably, mechanically, without any care). As a result that effect pops almost to the maximal level. As a matter of fact the whole track sounds like a s^&t. Dynamic range for CBS is 14. For Honk it is 7.

35love
No compression? No lacking depth? Clear sound? Really? How about numbers
Bitch from old Sticky Fingers CBS CD has DR 15 with peak at -2 dB
Bitch from old Sticky Fingers Virgin CD has DR10 with peak at -0.02 dB
Bitch from new Honk CD has DR6 with peak at -0.01 dB
All Honk if flat, lifeless and directly to your face. Earbleeding.
‘Hate To See You Go’ is exactly the same bad overloaded and over compressed recording from Blue and Lonesome. I mean, bad from technological point of view.
I checked both the Honk version and the Dutch CBS cd from 1986 today. The only thing that strikes me is the fact that the first chords, are more upfront on Honk, whereas they sound more like a softer background tapestry if you will on the CBS disc. But I can't hear an off note or glitch really (but I will keep trying).
Speaking about remasters, I stick to the Virgin cd's of 1994. In fact the only cd's that are still CBS in my collection are Some Girls, Dirty Work and Undercover (and Steel Wheels and Flashpoint of course), as I was rather content with the quality and didn't feel the need to replace them. The first batch of Stones cds on CBS, especially the ones pre '76, but also Tattoo You, sounded so very lame in comparison to the original vinyl, that I rather happily replaced them when Virgin issued them in '94 (plus the sleeve replicas helped, compared to the shoddy low budget CBS cd's winking smiley.
One thing that I do, sooo, regret, after all these years, is that I did away with my vinyls...

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: April 27, 2019 19:37

Irix
Cover-Art for those interested only in the Live-Tracks:

[Tobias-Hall.co.uk]

Alternatively...

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: April 27, 2019 19:55

Deltics

Alternatively...

winking smiley

Date: April 27, 2019 20:25

Another idea:

By Irix - Pictures taken from [Tobias-Hall.co.uk] .

Date: April 27, 2019 20:41

Why do most people regard 40 Licks as a great compilation and Grrr! as a bad one?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-27 20:41 by EdubertoPalitroke.

Date: April 27, 2019 21:30

Irix
Another idea:

By Irix - Pictures taken from [Tobias-Hall.co.uk] .
Give him a chance winking smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 27, 2019 22:38

EdubertoPalitroke
Why do most people regard 40 Licks as a great compilation and Grrr! as a bad one?

where did you get that statistic? GRRR! is more complete without the 4 'extra' cuts that were unnecessarily on 40 Licks.

Biggest complaint I heard about GRRR! was Gregory on the cover.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 27, 2019 23:30

treaclefingers
EdubertoPalitroke

where did you get that statistic? GRRR! is more complete without the 4 'extra' cuts that were unnecessarily on 40 Licks.

Biggest complaint I heard about GRRR! was Gregory on the cover.

40 Licks was the first joint ABKCO / Promotone joint venture.
Nice cover and booklet.
In contrast GRRR! seemed sprawling and for completists only. The BBC stuff was welcome of course. Terrible cover.An album of new material to commemorate their 50 years would have been preferable. Some hope!

Date: April 27, 2019 23:41

EdubertoPalitroke
40 Licks was criticized at the time of edition because of edits/shortening of some tracks. But in general it was more welcome, I guess. And it came with better mastering i.e. 1971-2002 tracks were still mastered by Bob Ludwig.

Contrary, Grrr!, apart off Gregory, came with brickwalled 2009 mastering for 1971-2012 tracks. Other than that it was considered as unnecessary edition by completists.

Posted by: masseywinos ()
Date: April 28, 2019 00:11

I personally really like the live tracks with the exception of Under My Thumb. I love Dead Flowers the Paisley guitar is awesome.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: April 28, 2019 18:43

Hendrik
A little help through the Honk vinyl maze:

Hendrik

Thanks, Hendrik. Nice work.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: April 28, 2019 19:01

NEW ALBUM I WIN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-29 00:36 by hopkins.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 28, 2019 19:43

Any sales figures?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 28, 2019 20:21

Already received my two HONK! bumperstickers I ordered from merchbar just a few days ago - very nice quality.
I plan on putting one on the toilet down at my studio which seems an appropriate place. HONK! thumbs up

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: April 28, 2019 21:10

‘Rain Fall Down’ without distracting video audio only thru HONK!
Pretty good. Pretty good.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: April 29, 2019 22:08

masseywinos
I personally really like the live tracks with the exception of Under My Thumb.
I love Dead Flowers the Paisley guitar is awesome.

I actually like UMT a lot better than I thought I would as I LOVE the ferocious 1981 versions, but it came out pretty good, rocks more than I thought it would. If I had my way the professional backup vocals on LSTNT and SAR would be turned down a bit; a little too sugary for my taste but still the live cuts are better than I anticipated.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: April 29, 2019 22:30

For long time followers this compilation is nothing but GRRR reheated. I wonder why crap like Out Of Tears or Streets Of Love made it onto a Best-Of-Collection and in the same time only one Dirty-Work-song was chosen. After all Honk is a pretty good way to start for people who do not know much of the Stones but absolutely of zero interest for die-hard-fans. The live-CD is a quite nice bonus, but I think I´ve heard better live-versions of most of these songs before.

After all the talk about being in the studio from time to time for years and years it is extremely disappointing that they haven´t got one damn single new song to offer. It seems in fact they got nothing new and a new album is far from reality, only wishful thinking.

Posted by: rebelhipi ()
Date: April 30, 2019 00:40

Still waiting for the postman to bring me some Honk

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 30, 2019 00:43

Still waiting for the postman to bring me some Honk

Deals on wheels …….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: iraq0708 ()
Date: April 30, 2019 01:35

HMS
For long time followers this compilation is nothing but GRRR reheated. I wonder why crap like Out Of Tears or Streets Of Love made it onto a Best-Of-Collection and in the same time only one Dirty-Work-song was chosen. After all Honk is a pretty good way to start for people who do not know much of the Stones but absolutely of zero interest for die-hard-fans. The live-CD is a quite nice bonus, but I think I´ve heard better live-versions of most of these songs before.

After all the talk about being in the studio from time to time for years and years it is extremely disappointing that they haven´t got one damn single new song to offer. It seems in fact they got nothing new and a new album is far from reality, only wishful thinking.
One Hit To The Body would have been good. But since I'm not buying this money-grab it makes no difference to me. As for the live cuts....well,..the bootlegs are a-plenty..

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: April 30, 2019 02:13

mtaylor
Any sales figures?

Known sales so far:

#23 in the US (15,000 sales + 6,000 streaming points - 21k combined)
#8 in the UK (5,000 sales + 1,500 streaming points - 6.5k combined)
#15 in Australia (3,400 sales + 1,500 streaming points - 5k combined)
#26 in France (2,200 sales + 900 streaming points - 3,2k combined)

Other debuts:

#6 Germany
#6 Belgium
#12 Netherands
#30 Ireland
#38 Canada
#47 Italy

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2627282930313233343536...LastNext
Current Page: 31 of 50

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1608
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home