Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Could ABKCO remix their RS catalog?
Posted by: Massimo68 ()
Date: February 21, 2024 23:52

Sorry if it's already been mentioned, but I couldn't find anything with the search engine.

You've probably heard Giles Martin's new mixes of Beatles albums.
The technology even makes it possible to remix mono recordings in stereo, with separation of all instruments and vocals using powerful software. We can even separate all the elements of a drum.

(as far as the Beatles are concerned, this is truly impressive. I suppose Elvis will be next).

There would be a lot of money to be made doing this with RS albums.

ABKCO owns the rights, but could they do this without the band's consent?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-02-21 23:55 by Massimo68.

Re: Could ABKCO remix their RS catalog?
Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: February 22, 2024 00:03

I think the ABKCO releases sound great as is. I would like Giles Martin to remix IORR album. I think he did a great job with GHS.

Date: February 22, 2024 00:10

I was thinking of remixes of tracks like Satisfaction, As Tears Go By, etc...
In full glorious stereo.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 22, 2024 00:31

I think they'll get around to it. Maybe there's a lot of other more recent projects they're focusing on. Let's hope it happens before we get too old to enjoy it though.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: February 22, 2024 03:45

Interesting premise, but for my taste, I'll take mono. There's just something about the blend of mono that speaks the music to me. This holds for the Stones, The Beatles and other groups that did mono releases.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: February 22, 2024 10:05

Massimo68

I was thinking of remixes of tracks like Satisfaction ... In full glorious stereo.

ABKCO could do a test run with that .... 60th anniversary of Satisfaction in 2025.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 22, 2024 10:09

This stuff is so unpredictable.

Sometimes, with engineers in tune with the spirit of the music, the result can be a wonderful enhancement.

Other times... the spirit and energy of a performance can disappear down the plug hole like the proverbial baby with the bath water.

So should ABKCO do this ?

I'll let you know after they've done it .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-02-22 10:18 by Spud.

Date: February 22, 2024 10:15

Spud

So should ABKCO do this ?

If Bob Ludwig has excellent assistants .... why not? winking smiley

Date: February 22, 2024 11:42

Some people have already made DIY creations, but with much less powerful software than Peter Jackson's.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-02-22 11:45 by Massimo68.

Date: February 22, 2024 11:47

My question was : ABKCO owns the rights, but could they do this without the band's consent?
Legally?

Date: February 22, 2024 12:40

Massimo68

My question was : ABKCO owns the rights, but could they do this without the band's consent? Legally?

Depends probably on the contracts/agreements. The above question also raised recently - [iorr.org] .

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 22, 2024 13:21

I am quite sure that ABKCO only owns publishing rights, so the answers should be no, they can't touch the product without the authors' (JR or NP) consent,

C

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 22, 2024 13:42

I found this quote by Jagger that is quite self explanatory

“I didn’t particularly want it out,” Jagger said about Circus. “I don’t particularly like it. But see, he [Klein] and London and Decca have the rights to repackage all our old material between 1963 and 1969.”

C

Date: February 22, 2024 13:50

Repackaging is possible (done multiple times by ABKCO). Remastering is possible (done by Bob Ludwig). And remixing would 'only' change the stereo panorama (but not the song itself).

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: February 22, 2024 14:20

Yeah, let them use AI, remix and remaster all mono tracks to stereo! This will start another 100+ pages discussion how they failed again and missed an opportunity to do things right winking smiley.

Meanwhile, I shall stick to old-good London CDs with thacks in wide stereo, that allegedly originated from flat transfer of the original master tapes made by MFSL.

PS. The only tracks in mono here are As Tears Go By and 19th Nervous Breakdown.

Date: February 22, 2024 14:45

ironbelly

Yeah, let them use AI, remix and remaster all mono tracks to stereo! This will start another 100+ pages discussion how they failed again and missed an opportunity to do things right winking smiley.

Yep, see this review of the 2023 Beatles remix of the Red & Blue albums - [iorr.org] .

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: February 22, 2024 15:42

the only album that i really want to see remixed is dirty work

although it would be intersting to hear what could be done to satanic majesties

Date: February 22, 2024 16:25

ProfessorWolf

the only album that i really want to see remixed is dirty work

Of the non-ABKCO era, a remixing/remastering of 2005 ABB would really be interesting.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: February 22, 2024 17:09

Of course ABKCO could remix their Stones catalog, but why? Would they make it sound better - or merely different?

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: February 22, 2024 17:15

If I remember well, I’ve read somewhere that KR wants ‘integrity’
In other words, ABKCO can add something on a separated record (as per BB 50th anniversary, GYYYO 40th anniversary)but it’s not allowed to modify the original release and I believe this applies to the original mix, too.
Terry Landi used the earliest masters available, but did not remix them.
Still, I’d love to have a JR & Oldham re-work of some selected tracks.
In my opinion, it’s the original team that should handle such a tusk… pity Jimmy Miller is away

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-02-22 17:16 by 1963luca0.

Date: February 22, 2024 17:51

rbk
Of course ABKCO could remix their Stones catalog, but why? Would they make it sound better - or merely different?

For the same reason as the Beatles' blue and red albums: $$$$$$$ (we're talking about ABKCO winking smiley )

Announcing a new Satisfaction's stereo mix would be a magnet for press agencies.
And publicity for the launch of a new compilation.
And possibly for the entire catalog.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-02-22 17:54 by Massimo68.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 22, 2024 17:56

1963luca0
If I remember well, I’ve read somewhere that KR wants ‘integrity’
In other words, ABKCO can add something on a separated record (as per BB 50th anniversary, GYYYO 40th anniversary)but it’s not allowed to modify the original release and I believe this applies to the original mix, too.
Terry Landi used the earliest masters available, but did not remix them.
Still, I’d love to have a JR & Oldham re-work of some selected tracks.
In my opinion, it’s the original team that should handle such a tusk… pity Jimmy Miller is away

Apparently Keith was ok with GHS being remixed in regard to integrity. The reality of it is it's not permanent, it's an option. The integrity of the original is not changed - other than lousy mastering, which, bafflingly so, is ok.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 22, 2024 17:59

rbk

I'm not sure I even agree that it could be remixed. It seems to me that remixing entails some level of creative changing the sound of the recordings. In that case I would argue that this may not be available to ABKCO. They own the existing recording...would an 8 minute discofied remix of Satisfaction be permitted?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 22, 2024 18:09

treaclefingers
rbk

I'm not sure I even agree that it could be remixed. It seems to me that remixing entails some level of creative changing the sound of the recordings. In that case I would argue that this may not be available to ABKCO. They own the existing recording...would an 8 minute discofied remix of Satisfaction be permitted?

Probably.

Date: February 22, 2024 18:25

rbk

Of course ABKCO could remix their Stones catalog, but why?

To eliminate the 1960s ping-pong stereo and to make it sound better. Like Giles Martin does with the Beatles catalogue.

But no remixes in the sense of changing the song's structure (e.g. like a DJ mix or extended versions).

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: February 22, 2024 21:23

Bashlets
I think the ABKCO releases sound great as is. I would like Giles Martin to remix IORR album. I think he did a great job with GHS.

Yes, he mixed GHS well, the lady's scream disappeared on Dancing With Mr. D. nice job killing that number.

Posted by: ds1984 ()
Date: February 22, 2024 22:17

I would tend to say that ABKCO seems not to be totaly at liberty to remix their Rolling Stones catalogue.

I mean if they were, they would have already done it.

Date: February 22, 2024 22:45

ABKCO already did a slight stereo-remix of Satisfaction for the 2002 remaster series.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 22, 2024 23:28

UrbanSteel
Bashlets

Yes, he mixed GHS well, the lady's scream disappeared on Dancing With Mr. D. nice job killing that number.

Other than that tiny bit, the rest was great. I got it on the Japanese SHM CD and it was like a whole new album. I would agree that IORR could benefit from that treatment.

Remastering, whatever you want to call it, is tricky. I have heard some awe inspiring stuff. Just this week I heard Dark Side of the Moon Dolby Atmos mix. My god, the space and separation is incredible. And I have heard the same with Abbey Road. Unfortunately the most recent, the new Revolver mix is certainly not as good as the 2009 Beatles upgrade of Revolver. I don't think most of the Stones 60s catalogue would benefit that much more remastering, especially after the excellent 2002 upgrades. Mono seems to give the earlier work more punch, just like the earlier Beatles material sounds better in mono.

Date: February 23, 2024 00:50

ABKCO also did a Dolby Atmos mix of 'Rock and Roll Circus' in 2019 - [www.ABKCO.com] .

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2066
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home