Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 25
Re: GHS Stones Most Biggest Letdown?
Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: February 6, 2017 22:51

Always suprised to learn how many non-fans are on a Stones fan site.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 6, 2017 23:07

^^^^^^^ yeah rattler ain't it funny ta read ... or is it sad ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: February 6, 2017 23:19

Angie & Winter are horrible schmaltzy songs, no matter how well crafted written or played, they remain horrible. Winter is the starting point for Mick´s more and more overacted ballad singing that culminated on songs like Streets Of Love, Already Over Me, New Faces, Always Suffering and on and on. Winter is the mother of them all... There are many Stones-ballads better than Winter. And Angie... they did it for the money I guess. Although it was a big hit and they play almost only big hits live since decades, Angie isn´t played live that often. Most people who are non-fans and go to concerts know Angie and still they do not play it regularly. So maybe they indeed don´t like Angie, who knows.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 7, 2017 00:28

NICOS
They are "right"..................for me back then it was the second biggest letdown.........at the age of 19 and fan since '67 it was a huge disappointment after Beggars, Bleed, GYYYO, Sticky and Exile..........but many letdowns followed…………..and now I consider GHS as a great record with some –‘s……

Dancing With Mr. D --- 7/10
100 Years Ago --- 7/10
Coming Down Again --- 8/10 pity the sax solo only last for only 20 seconds
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker) --- 8/10
Angie --- 10/10 Love it
Silver Train --- 9/10 why is Keith so low in the mix (bad production)
Hide Your Love --- 8.2/10 This is a hard one to judge...........
Winter --- 9.9/10 Moonlight Mile part two or Japanese Thing............love it when Micks sings from his toes Stones Christmas song ;o)
Can You Hear The Music --- -6/10 there are some nice parts in the song but overall ;o(
Star Star --- 9/10

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 7, 2017 00:28

HMS
Although it was a big hit and they play almost only big hits live since decades, Angie isn´t played live that often.

They recently played Angie at the second Desert Trip show, and it was stunningly beautiful.
The studio version is indeed a 10 of 10 and is better than any live versions imo, but that recent live version comes close.
Maybe it was just me, or maybe you had to be there in the desert, or maybe the stars were aligned, or maybe all of those combined, or maybe it was simply great period.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-07 00:29 by Hairball.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: February 7, 2017 00:38

I hope someone's not calling (me?) a non- Stones fan on a Stones fansite
because I don't like the album 'GHS' (exception 'Winter')
because I'd die on the cross for Exile.
To me they are very different and finally
YES, IT WAS A LETDOWN!

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: February 7, 2017 00:59

rattler2004
Always surprised to learn how many non-fans are on a Stones fan site.

I used to be surprised, but... I do wonder why some post here...

Goats head soup and all of their albums are where the band was at when the albums were created.
I love dropping the needle a Stones album and going back in time, feeling the music times and vibes.

I got no expectations that an album HAS TO start out a certain way... and I am never "LET DOWN"

I LOVE DANCING WITH MISTER D!
Dancing, dancing, dancing so free
Dancing, Dancing, dancing so free... Dancing with Mr. Daaaaaaae

I understand someone saying they dont like an album, and that is fine.... but to take it personally, to use terms like "LET DOWN", or say something like "they disappointed me so much after those other albums I liked so much.... I wanted it to be more like something else... I expected Exile part 2 3 and 4, "it must have been the drugs", (lol) "they were so lost", (roflmao)... "I feel so let down that the band didn't cater to my every wish".... Whiiiine didn't they make they album I had great expectations for?".... "they owed me a better album and now I feel sooooo let down". I find those type of comments to be pathetic.

The Stones have a couple of albums I am not a big fan of, but I have NEVER whined about those albums, let alone gone on and on and on and on and on and on blathering at every opportunity to whine to the world like some do here constantly blathering on and on and on how they feel certain albums are the worst. OK, we got when you said it the first 2000 times

I understand someone not liking an album or a even bunch of albums put out by a band, but if someone has not liked any album a band has put out since 1973, why are they still coming to a Stones fan site to constantly whine about how LET DOWN they feel?

As for me... feels like time to drop the needle on Voodoo Lounge... and dance... yeah... yer lurve is strong...

STONES!!!

Posted by: RaiseTheKnife ()
Date: February 7, 2017 01:00

Mr. D is such a lackluster opener and makes me wanna turn the thing off, but then 100 years comes on which is a fine song. The studio version of Angie is overbearing and tasteless but when you hear it live you know it's a good song.

Overall one of their best albums. However by know I'm sick and tired of this album just like many other Stones albums.

I would not call it a letdown at all, it was the opposite, the Stones proved that they could still make a well-rounded concise album after Exile.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: February 7, 2017 01:08

It's just an opinion. I don't get my bee in a bonnet if
Exile didn't save your life like it saved mine.
I only call out DP once in a great while because 9 X out of 10
I admire what he's saying.
After 50 bloody years of music and life, the beauty is how vast the art and history is- and we can gravitate and speculate on different parts.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 7, 2017 04:44

35love
It's just an opinion. I don't get my bee in a bonnet if
Exile didn't save your life like it saved mine.
I only call out DP once in a great while because 9 X out of 10
I admire what he's saying.
After 50 bloody years of music and life, the beauty is how vast the art and history is- and we can gravitate and speculate on different parts.

Don't fret 35love, there's some tender souls here who sometimes get worked up if 'their band' is criticized, with some being very defensive.
The majority here can handle discussing the reality of the band warts and all, i.e. the good, the bad, and the ugly.
Do not be bullied and/or shamed! Do not be afraid to speak your mind! Your voice matters!

ps - With that said, even in a thread such as this - which feeds off of varying opinions - one has to tread softly amidst the fanaticism. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-07 04:46 by Hairball.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: February 7, 2017 05:16

35love
I hope someone's not calling (me?) a non- Stones fan on a Stones fansite
because I don't like the album 'GHS' (exception 'Winter')
because I'd die on the cross for Exile...

Hi 35; have you heard this version? I think it was youtubed by an iorr fan, not sure...
...it adds in Taylor's solos from different takes and goes on and on so beautifully; I know you like this one in the wintertime.
I usually dip in around 5:10 and just groove on Mr. T for seven minutes straight ;-)

"Rolling Stones song Winter from 1973 combined with the first of the two Mick Taylor's Winter solos...
...This video has been posted by The Rolling Stones on their official Rolling Stones Facebook page, on 2014, December 20...
...Mick Taylor is a former member of The Rolling Stones (June 1969 - December 1974)."
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 7, 2017 05:53

Monsoon Ragoon
GasLightStreet
Monsoon Ragoon
The 5 worst albums for me: GHS, ER, VL, BTB (both). But remember they're all still better than the best albums of most bands!

Yet, aside from the usual fan boy 'but their worst is better than' blah blah blah you FAIL to list their actual worst album, DIRTY WORK, and their second worst album, TSMR.

Stones fan fail.

Dirty Work is a great album IMHO, by far not their worst. TSMR is a joke album, but very interesting; it doesn't count as normal album anyway. I forgot IORR above, but then we have already six.

DW is by far - vagillions of miles - their worst album. TSMR is easily their second worst.

GHS is a fantastic come down from what they had just done for 5 years.

Date: February 7, 2017 05:55

Witness
Recently about BTB (US)

HMS
Most unsatisfying Stones-album ever. Never liked the style and attitude of the album. US-version is slightly better thanks to LSTNT.

Let's Spend the Night Together 9/10
Yesterday's Papers 2/10
Ruby Tuesday 5/10
Connection 3/10
She Smiled Sweetly 2/10
Cool, Calm & Collected 0/10
All Sold Out 1/10
My Obsession 0/10
Who's Been Sleeping Here? 0/10
Complicated 0/10
Miss Amanda Jones 0/10
Something Happened to Me Yesterday 0/10

Followed by

HMS
DandelionPowderman
Something Happened To Me Yesterday and All Sold Out are GREAT songwriting.
There are harmonies, cool bridges and unexpected stuff popping up. Why isn't that great?

It´s a pale carbon copy of the Kinks.
(Like almost everything on BTcool smiley

I even like GHS better than BTB, although GHS is a hard taks to listen to without falling asleep.

Now, however:

HMS
No doubt about it, GHS is and will remain their weakest album. It´s just boring and toothless. Some of the songs are pure "MUZAK". Horrible compared to everything that came before and almost everything that came after. It would be easy to put the blame on Taylor, but it wasn´t Taylor alone who messed it up. All of them did. First of all, mediocre songwriting. Then sometimes ridiculous vocal delivery. Uh, so much went wrong, I could go on for an hour or two... Even the sequence of the songs is bad. They opened with the wrong track and closed with the wrong track.

Dancing With Mr. D --- 0/10
100 Years Ago --- 3/10
Coming Down Again --- 0/10
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker) --- 10/10
Angie --- 1/10
Silver Train --- 3/10
Hide Your Love --- 10/10
Winter --- 1/10
Can You Hear The Music --- 2/10
Star Star --- 10/10

HA HA HA HA HA!

Nice work, Witness!

HMS is a kook, of course, but he's also just a tiny bit schizo - and knows zero about song, music and album quality.

Date: February 7, 2017 05:58

HMS
Well, both albums are incredibly weak. BTB is their weakest 60s-album, while GHS is their weakest 70s-album. By the time of BTB the Stones had released great singles, but their albums of originals weren´t as great as the albums that were to follow. By the time GHS was released they already had created true masterpieces like SF and LIB. BB and Exile were close to masterpieces, Exile could have been a true masterpiece if they had shortened it to fit on a single LP. So GHS is indeed a big let-down and back then their most disappointing album so far.

If I had to keep one album and throw the other in a pond, I´d keep GHS, although it´s very disappointing. I´d keep it for Star Star, Hide Your Love and Heartbreaker, songs I really like. Those three songs are better than the best songs on BTB, imo.

Of all Stones-albums GHS has the smallest amount of really outstanding and really enjoyable songs, even on very weak Steel Wheels and Bridges To Babylon I can find more outstanding and enjoyable songs than on GHS/BTB.

So BTB AND GHS both are "their most unsatisfying/weakest album ever", but I like GHS a tad better than BTB, thanks to Star Star, Hide Your Love & Heartbreaker. But neverthelesss it´s a pity that a band in their prime came up with an album like GHS. BTB is very weak but the Stones had not reached their peak by the time of it´s release. GHS on the other hand was relased at their peak and that makes GHS in some sense even weaker than BTB, but like I said, it has Star Star, Hide Your Love & Heartbreaker.

Well, really, if 1+2=4 then I'd have to say that 2+3=6 and that orange and blue are great colors for an NFL team but horse rides are a mile depth of canon slither, because if 1+2=4 then I'd have to say that 2+3=6 and that orange and blue are great colors for an NFL team but horse rides are a mile depth of canon slither, because if 1+2=4 then I'd have to say that 2+3=6 and that orange and blue are great colors for an NFL team but horse rides are a mile depth of canon slither, because if 1+2=4 then I'd have to say that 2+3=6 and that orange and blue are great colors for an NFL team but horse rides are a mile depth of canon slither, because if 1+2=4 then I'd have to say that 2+3=6 and that orange and blue are great colors for an NFL team but horse rides are a mile depth of canon slither.

Date: February 7, 2017 06:04

HMS
Angie & Winter are horrible schmaltzy songs, no matter how well crafted written or played, they remain horrible. Winter is the starting point for Mick´s more and more overacted ballad singing that culminated on songs like Streets Of Love, Already Over Me, New Faces, Always Suffering and on and on. Winter is the mother of them all...

Criminal. Not that you're clearly deaf but that you'd slander such a good song with those horrible songs (one of the rare times I agree with you somehow). No surprise, really, but posing as a Stones fan has not helped with your undermined status as a kook.

HMS
There are many Stones-ballads better than Winter.

Define many. Because there are many Stones ballads that are not as good as Winter.

HMS
And Angie... they did it for the money I guess. Although it was a big hit and they play almost only big hits live since decades, Angie isn´t played live that often. Most people who are non-fans and go to concerts know Angie and still they do not play it regularly. So maybe they indeed don´t like Angie, who knows.

Everyone but you knows they did Angie for their health.

Date: February 7, 2017 06:08

Consider, if it could've worked, that they'd've finished Waiting On A Friend and Tops and put those on GHS along with Through The Lonely Nights and Criss Cross Mind in place of (enter whatever songs here)... holy crap: it would've made a really good album great and GHS might've made it The Big 5.

Fortunately two of those wound up on the awesome TATTOO YOU album.

Date: February 7, 2017 06:57

Biggest Stones letdown: STEEL WHEELS

It had some promise to it. Mixed Emotions, Almost Hear You Sigh, Sad Sad Sad, Hearts For Sale, Break The Spell and Slipping Away.

Blinded By Love is nice, sometimes, but that's it. The rest is garbage.

Only Stones embarrassment: DIRTY WORK

With exception to Harlem Shuffle, Too Rude, Sleep Tonight and Had It With You, why did they bother?

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: February 7, 2017 08:20

baby

baby

let me down

real

slow

[www.youtube.com]

Date: February 7, 2017 09:01

hopkins
baby

baby

let me down

real

slow

[www.youtube.com]
thumbs up
Man I LOVE the Charlie drums on that song

I never understood the hate for Bigger Bang... but haters gonna hate, it is what they do

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: February 7, 2017 09:37

GasLightStreet
Monsoon Ragoon
GasLightStreet
Monsoon Ragoon
The 5 worst albums for me: GHS, ER, VL, BTB (both). But remember they're all still better than the best albums of most bands!

Yet, aside from the usual fan boy 'but their worst is better than' blah blah blah you FAIL to list their actual worst album, DIRTY WORK, and their second worst album, TSMR.

Stones fan fail.

Dirty Work is a great album IMHO, by far not their worst. TSMR is a joke album, but very interesting; it doesn't count as normal album anyway. I forgot IORR above, but then we have already six.

DW is by far - vagillions of miles - their worst album. TSMR is easily their second worst.

GHS is a fantastic come down from what they had just done for 5 years.

Die Geschmäcker sind verschieden. Sorry, I don't know what's the translation. I love the harder albums more than the mellow ones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-07 09:39 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Date: February 7, 2017 09:55

Die Geschmäcker sind verschieden smoking smiley Different strokes for different pokes

Date: February 7, 2017 10:01

Emotional Rescue always seems to be the forgotten album in these chats

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: February 7, 2017 10:07

I always found GHS a very good album although some songs, especially Dancing with Mr D, only came to life on stage. However, I never liked the aimless jam Hide your love. But the 1973 live version of Angie is completely different from the string-driven studio track, and it is great! You can choose if you prefer the schmaltzy studio song or the rougher live Version.

Thank God they did not try to make another Exile Album. They would have failed.

And GHS is the perfect expression of androgynous appearance which was very much in fashion from 1973 through 1976.

The classic Tour of Europe would not have been so brillant without the GHS songs. It is a pity they did not play Silver Train more frequently on this tour instead of All down the line.

BTW I think that it is inappropriate to state that someone is not a fan because he or she does not like certain Songs. I never liked Bitch, Monkey man or Hide your love - so what? Like HankM said: Different strokes for different pokes.

Date: February 7, 2017 10:16

HankM

It's never forgotten here. Love it! One of their best smileys with beer

Date: February 7, 2017 10:18

saltoftheearth
I always found GHS a very good album although some songs, especially Dancing with Mr D, only came to life on stage. However, I never liked the aimless jam Hide your love. But the 1973 live version of Angie is completely different from the string-driven studio track, and it is great! You can choose if you prefer the schmaltzy beautifully crafted studio song or the rougher live Version.

Thank God they did not try to make another Exile Album. They would have failed.

And GHS is the perfect expression of androgynous appearance which was very much in fashion from 1973 through 1976.

The classic Tour of Europe would not have been so brillant without the GHS songs. It is a pity they did not play Silver Train more frequently on this tour instead of All down the line.

BTW I think that it is inappropriate to state that someone is not a fan because he or she does not like certain Songs. I never liked Bitch, Monkey man or Hide your love - so what? Like HankM said: Different strokes for different pokes.

Or you can enjoy both versions, like I do. smoking smiley

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: February 7, 2017 10:27

DandelionPowderman
HankM

Minority opinion, at best. But as such, still valuable.

Date: February 7, 2017 10:43

retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
HankM

Good ole ER, from the era when they were still in LETS PUT OUT SOME NEW MUSIC** at least every 2 years... and I like it... it has some good songs on it smoking smiley
**or at least release a new album every 2 years grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-07 10:45 by HankM.

Date: February 7, 2017 10:47

retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
HankM

I just love that Pathe Marconi-sound! And in many ways, ER is superior to SG (my favourite album), because of better playing and more developed arranging.

In my humble, minority – but still valuable – opinion, of course..

Posted by: shattered1978 ()
Date: February 7, 2017 11:08

Because of this thread I put the album on repeat again. A great high in their musical carreer. The let down might be sales-wise, that is not of my concern. Love the music l, which by now is etched in my DNA.

That they had the guts to tune it down a bit might that even be their last show of non-conformism?

Besides all, it is just great music.

Although the "slip my tongue in someone else's pie" line each time again makes me wonder about Keith's taste and intentions...

Date: February 7, 2017 11:57

GasLightStreet
Biggest Stones letdown: STEEL WHEELS

It had some promise to it. Mixed Emotions, Almost Hear You Sigh, Sad Sad Sad, Hearts For Sale, Break The Spell and Slipping Away.

Blinded By Love is nice, sometimes, but that's it. The rest is garbage.

Only Stones embarrassment: DIRTY WORK

With exception to Harlem Shuffle, Too Rude, Sleep Tonight and Had It With You, why did they bother?

Yeah GasLight, Im right there with you. Somewhere in this thread I think I wrote something similar, but then scratched that out, and handed the letdown award to 'Voodoo Lounge' which IMO qualified more.
The recipe for SW for me is just to disregard the official version and do only the boot version, with "Precious Love".
But there is hardly any way to spruce up "Blinded by Love" and "Rock in a hard place".

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 25

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 822
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home