Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 25
Re: GHS Stones Most Biggest Letdown?
Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 7, 2017 19:50

Soup I like.

To say that Soup was a "let down" is more a statement of the greatness of Banquet, Bleed, Fingers and Exile, rather than the description of an allegedly weak album.

In retrospect (I was 5 when it was released), it is safe to say that Soup is not as strong as the 4 that came before it.

Yet, Soup is one hell of an album, with a very peculiar sound and direction.

Heartbreaker, 100years, angie, (and I would include Music too) are all truly great songs. The others are at least very good.

Keith's one I don't like, but the rest of the world does, so that must mean something!!!

C

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: February 7, 2017 19:55

Sometimes I hate the "political correctness battles." No matter what, at the end of the day you have to live and let live and respect other people's opinions even if you say openly that you strongly disagree with them. Who cares and how much energy can you put into disputing songs and albums? Most people think Dirty Work sucks, some don't, big deal.

I like "The Lantern," so shoot me. I "hate Brown Sugar," I must be insane, etc, etc.

It was really bad when dreaded American politics were discussed. The "everybody must of course think like me and agree with me" attitude was omnipresent. And look what happened to that one.

I like the Melissa Manchester song "Pretty Girls." How can I ever show my virtual face after saying that!

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: February 7, 2017 19:56

DandelionPowderman
boogaloojef
HMS
DandelionPowderman
in many ways, ER is superior to SG (my favourite album), because of better playing and more developed arranging.

Truer words have never been spoken. ER is indeed superior to SG, better songs, better playing, better singing... everything´s better on ER. The only good thing about overrated SG is that the Stones sounded fresh and re-energized again, but most songs on SG are mediocre. The way they executed the album is much more enjoyable than the album itself.

Emotional Rescue is terrible. A better album could have been compiled from the Some Girls bonus material and Tattoo You material. Aside from Let Me Go and She's So Cold it's horrible.

Ha! All About You, Dance and Down In The Hole are better than anything on SG.

Down In Hole is not even as good as blues tracks like the Storm, Black Limousine or Fancyman Blues.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: February 7, 2017 20:08

boogaloojef
Down In Hole is not even as good as blues tracks like the Storm, Black Limousine or Fancyman Blues.

As much as I love The Storm, Black Limousine & Fancy Man Blues, Down In The Hole is much better in every way. Down In The Hole is a masterpiece, a true masterpiece.
It gave me goosebumps when I listened to it for the first time and it still does.
10/10!

Date: February 7, 2017 20:09

boogaloojef
DandelionPowderman
boogaloojef
HMS
DandelionPowderman
in many ways, ER is superior to SG (my favourite album), because of better playing and more developed arranging.

Truer words have never been spoken. ER is indeed superior to SG, better songs, better playing, better singing... everything´s better on ER. The only good thing about overrated SG is that the Stones sounded fresh and re-energized again, but most songs on SG are mediocre. The way they executed the album is much more enjoyable than the album itself.

Emotional Rescue is terrible. A better album could have been compiled from the Some Girls bonus material and Tattoo You material. Aside from Let Me Go and She's So Cold it's horrible.

It's better, as it's even more than a blues. It's a blues noir, and perhaps the only one the Stones ever made.

By all means, enjoy The Storm. To each their own.

Date: February 7, 2017 20:13

DandelionPowderman
boogaloojef
HMS
DandelionPowderman

Dance is not as good as Fingerprint File as far as funkier tracks go, especially the speed correct version.

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: February 7, 2017 20:25

What about 'Chantilly Lace', Munich 1982?

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: February 7, 2017 20:26

Oh Jeeezus................I know, I know, if a thread gets on your nerves, don't read it......

ok but before I go,,,,,,,,,,, "My dad is bigger than yours..........."..........confused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-07 20:27 by EddieByword.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 7, 2017 21:19

HMS
boogaloojef

As much as I love The Storm, Black Limousine & Fancy Man Blues, Down In The Hole is much better in every way. Down In The Hole is a masterpiece, a true masterpiece.
It gave me goosebumps when I listened to it for the first time and it still does.
10/10!

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

10+/10

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 7, 2017 21:21

I Think Ultimate Classic Rock is the biggest most lamest excuse for journalism , more like kindling for the fireplace .

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: February 7, 2017 21:53

EddieByword
Oh Jeeezus................I know, I know, if a thread gets on your nerves, don't read it......

smiling smiley opening this thread is like opening a window to this...

[www.youtube.com]
Lots of noise, very little worthwhile being barrked

Date: February 7, 2017 21:54

TheGreek
I Think Ultimate Classic Rock is the biggest most lamest excuse for journalism , more like kindling for the fireplace .

Agreed...
basically a click bait web site.. and it seems to have worked again here

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: February 7, 2017 22:03

HankM
EddieByword

[www.youtube.com]

Too right, or like a couple of boxers fighting, both with cauliflower ears......smileys with beer

Date: February 7, 2017 22:06

EddieByword
HankM
EddieByword

[www.youtube.com]

Too right, or like a couple of boxers fighting, both with cauliflower ears......smileys with beer
grinning smiley in a fight with no limits on the number of rounds it can go...

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: February 7, 2017 22:08

love it! i think it's there 5th best album!

Posted by: three16 ()
Date: February 7, 2017 22:17

Great album. Captures the era and band transitioning well, they left France and headed to Jamaica. How do you follow Exile? Gonna need some goat soup to find out.

Posted by: fyp933 ()
Date: February 7, 2017 22:29

coming after Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile On Main St, Goats Head Soup had a lot to live up to.
IMHO, there's more filler on this album than great/good songs. same could be said for It's Only Rock 'n' Roll and Black and Blue. it wasn't until Some Girls that they put out an album again that you could listen to straight through with out skipping over a couple of songs.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: February 8, 2017 10:53

DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
HankM
Emotional Rescue always seems to be the forgotten album in these chats

It's never forgotten here. Love it! One of their best smileys with beer

Minority opinion, at best. But as such, still valuable.

I just love that Pathe Marconi-sound! And in many ways, ER is superior to SG (my favourite album), because of better playing and more developed arranging.

In my humble, minority – but still valuable – opinion, of course..

If only "better playing and more developed arranging" would have met with "better (or at least equal) songwriting quality" - then, well, then... your minority - but still valuable, of course - opinion would represent a more or less general consensus! If only...

I'm absolutely in love with the Pathe Marconi sound too, btw!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-08 10:55 by retired_dog.

Date: February 8, 2017 10:58

retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
HankM
Emotional Rescue always seems to be the forgotten album in these chats

It's never forgotten here. Love it! One of their best smileys with beer

Minority opinion, at best. But as such, still valuable.

I just love that Pathe Marconi-sound! And in many ways, ER is superior to SG (my favourite album), because of better playing and more developed arranging.

In my humble, minority – but still valuable – opinion, of course..

If only "better playing and more developed arranging" would have met with "better (or at least equal) songwriting quality" - then, well, then... your minority - but still valuable, of course - opinion would represent a more or less general consensus! If only...

Consensus is not always the truth, though, as GHS generally indeed is seen as inferior to the golden four.

Some fans are stubbornly upholding that GHS is better than that (claiming it belongs to the «golden five», much due to Taylor's playing), and that's how it should be. To each their own.

PS: Generally, I think SG has more attitude than good songwriting. ER had both.

However, we have threads for those albums. For GHS as well, come to think of it...

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: February 8, 2017 11:35

MileHigh
Sometimes I hate the "political correctness battles." No matter what, at the end of the day you have to live and let live and respect other people's opinions even if you say openly that you strongly disagree with them. Who cares and how much energy can you put into disputing songs and albums? Most people think Dirty Work sucks, some don't, big deal.

I like "The Lantern," so shoot me. I "hate Brown Sugar," I must be insane, etc, etc.

It was really bad when dreaded American politics were discussed. The "everybody must of course think like me and agree with me" attitude was omnipresent. And look what happened to that one.

I like the Melissa Manchester song "Pretty Girls." How can I ever show my virtual face after saying that!

Don't worry, I like "Indian Girl", "Winning Ugly" and ABBA, and I am still alive on this forum.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: February 8, 2017 11:41

DandelionPowderman

You're right ER has a lot of good songs, whereas SG was more about the energy and the joy. "Whip", "Some Girls", "Lies" and "Respectable" are good fun but not particularly well written songs. But SG sounds wonderful (apart from "Faraway Eyes" which I always skip) whereas ER has too many songs that are just tiring and average sounding (especially the rockers).
Also, while I agree that "Down in the Hole" is an absolute highlight on ER, still, do you think it's even better than "Beast of Burden" or "Miss You"?

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: February 8, 2017 12:14

DandelionPowderman

Consensus is not always the truth, though, as GHS generally indeed is seen as inferior to the golden four.

There can't be a general "truth" in personal musical opinions, it's a contradiction in itself.

Date: February 8, 2017 12:17

retired_dog
DandelionPowderman

There can't be a general "truth" in personal musical opinions, it's a contradiction in itself.

Exactly! Hence the «minority» claim is a moot point.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 8, 2017 12:52

DandelionPowderman
boogaloojef
DandelionPowderman
boogaloojef
HMS
DandelionPowderman

It's better, as it's even more than a blues. It's a blues noir, and perhaps the only one the Stones ever made.

Not a fan of DITH but blues noir - yes. I wonder if they could have made ER stronger. Maybe Little T and A sounded like Shes so cold and thats why they waited. And Keith only had one solo spot.

Date: February 8, 2017 20:37

Redhotcarpet
DandelionPowderman
boogaloojef
DandelionPowderman
boogaloojef
HMS
DandelionPowderman

Not a fan of DITH but blues noir - yes. I wonder if they could have made ER stronger. Maybe Little T and A sounded like Shes so cold and thats why they waited. And Keith only had one solo spot.

Hang Fire, Claudine and So Young would have improved it in my opinion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-08 20:37 by boogaloojef.

Posted by: icke66 ()
Date: February 8, 2017 21:47

Well said and just my opinion too.
Sometimes its a bit strange to read all this "experts" here. Otherwise its funny too.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: February 8, 2017 22:03

EddieByword

ok but before I go,,,,,,,,,,, "My dad is bigger than yours..........."..........confused smiley

when my dad sits around the house he sits around the house!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-12 08:43 by hopkins.

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: February 8, 2017 23:14

Hairball
HMS
I´d like to know who was the very first to spread this inappropriate myth of DW being a "bad" album.

Lol...that is a funny sentence!

This is a very funny thread!smileys with beer

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 8, 2017 23:26

I think the first one was a director at the record company who thought the album was so bad they shouldn't release it. As I remember this was the last album to close a record deal. Those albums tends to made in a hurry. (About DW)

Posted by: IrisC ()
Date: February 8, 2017 23:35

Goats Head Soup is a very good record. What's wrong with Heartbreaker? Winter? Coming down again? Angie? Silver Train? I listen to this record often. Just my opinion.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 25

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1725
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home