Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 25
Re: GHS Stones Most Biggest Letdown?
Posted by: Witness ()
Date: February 11, 2017 00:09

HMS
Buying an album on release day may be different from buying it years later and therefor seeing it "from a distance". Still I think most people who bought Exile in 72 and GHS in 73 would think of GHS as a different and not as good album as Exile was.

Btw, I bought GHS prior to Exile in the early 80s. I bought it together with IORR and Black And Blue. After listening to all three albums for several times I thought (and still do think) that Black And Blue was the best of those three albums, followed by IORR. GHS I´ve found always boring and lame, except three songs there´s nothing on the album that gets me excited.

Yes, GHS may present the Stones at that point of time and reflects the mood they were in back then. But I´m very lucky that they got out of that corner soon. I prefer my Stones rough, GHS is too mellow.

I (probably, not only) for one prefer my Stones as a multi-dimensional band. As much as possible. For instance, not quite randomly chosen, addressing your post: "Moonlight Mile", "Coming Down Again", "Far Away Eyes" AND "Shattered".

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: February 11, 2017 00:37

HMS
Buying an album on release day may be different from buying it years later and therefor seeing it "from a distance". Still I think most people who bought Exile in 72 and GHS in 73 would think of GHS as a different and not as good album as Exile was.

Btw, I bought GHS prior to Exile in the early 80s. I bought it together with IORR and Black And Blue. After listening to all three albums for several times I thought (and still do think) that Black And Blue was the best of those three albums, followed by IORR. GHS I´ve found always boring and lame, except three songs there´s nothing on the album that gets me excited.

Yes, GHS may present the Stones at that point of time and reflects the mood they were in back then. But I´m very lucky that they got out of that corner soon. I prefer my Stones rough, GHS is too mellow.

First off Exile wasn't well received initially...

Second, Black and Blue is such a disjointed mishmash of music (Disco/Funk, Reggae, Rock and Ballad). I have barely listened to it since 1976. When I got it.

To me GHS > IORR by a half step & GHS & IORR > Black abd Blue...but it all comes down to personal taste.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Date: February 11, 2017 00:53

<Second, Black and Blue is such a disjointed mishmash of music (Disco/Funk, Reggae, Rock and Ballad)>

How would you describe albums like Exile and Some Girls?

To me, they have the same eclecticism and variety musically. That's why I enjoy them. Black And Blue as well.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: February 11, 2017 01:00

DandelionPowderman

To me, they have the same eclecticism and variety musically. That's why I enjoy them. Black And Blue as well.

As I recall - Black and Blue got dissed quite a bit when it came out, but I think it's aged very well. You've got the funk groove of Hot Stuff, flat out rocking with Hand Of Fate, Crazy Mama and Hey Negrita, a great ballad with Memory Motel. I still spin it fairly often!

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 11, 2017 01:23

Out of all the official RS studio albums (not re-releases included) I would put GHS after the big four and TY and SG.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: February 11, 2017 01:59

DandelionPowderman

Exile and Some Girls have songs I like/love.

Black and Blue, for me is a touch better than Dirty Work...

Its just that out of all their studio releases it never appealed to me (like Dirty Work)...some I like immediately i.e. Steel Wheels & Undercover... but then they didn't age well....still like a few songs but I never listen to them all they way through.

Some I didn't like at first but after a while and a good listen they became favorites...they Exile, Emotional Rescue, in Exile's case my favorite album of all time.

Others started off good and remained so... That includes Voodoo, Bridges and Bang

Like I already stated, it all comes down to personal taste....art is for those who appreciate it, and how...what it means to each person...not neccessarily what the artist(s) intended, or what it means to him/her or them.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: February 11, 2017 02:31

Black and Blue has a couple of the best songs the Stones ever created...
but also conatins one of the worst songs ever recorded by anyone, ever.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: February 11, 2017 02:57

Can you Hear the music?

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: February 11, 2017 04:11

Moonshine
HMS

Those 3 are a trilogy of sorts, Imo Black and Blue has the best production, diversity and cover. I love the other 2 but that one was the best since Exile.

I never liked Black and Blue much. Too many styles and guitarists. It seemed rather scattershot to me, kind of the guitarist audition album. It didn't help much that I didn't care for either Fool To Cry or Hot Stuff which were that tracks played on the radio most often from the album. It has a few worthwhile tracks but the majority is weak in my opinion.

I actually like It's Only Rock 'N' Roll better than either Goats Head Soup or Black and Blue. I like Goats Head Soup but I like It's Only Rock 'N' Roll better.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-11 04:15 by boogaloojef.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: February 11, 2017 04:30

Like others have noted, I also see GHS, IORR and B&B as a trilogy of sorts. All albums recorded in various venues around the world as they moved around to stay one step ahead of the taxman and the lawman.
I read somewhere once that Keith wanted to keep playing American blues and Mick wanted to dance, so they compromised on their renditions of reggae, Motown, funk, etc., along with some MT-inspired pieces.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: February 11, 2017 09:35

oops pardon...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-11 09:40 by hopkins.

Posted by: Moonshine ()
Date: February 11, 2017 10:42

HankM

I'm intriged, are your 2 Hand of fate and Memory Motel and the 1 Cherry Oh Baby?

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: February 11, 2017 11:27

That's a general problem: You can call an album with a vast variety of style either a master piece or a mishmash...
I'm sure that in most people's mind, especially the usual Stones typical rockers are dismissed as rather weak on all of GHS (IMO, even Star Star), IORR (IMO only excluding the song), Black And Blue (IMO even Hand of Fate). That's why these records are considered to be minor in the Stones catalogue and only few tend to praise their variety.

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: February 11, 2017 13:48

The only thing I can say is:
I bought every LP when it came out from 1965 till now.
What I'll say is: The Lp's where all good when they came out.
You have to see it at those years they made them.
I can't say this LP is better than that.
How can you compare an LP from 1968 with an LP 1989? No, you can't.
And than; if I read that some people bought 3 or 4 lp's becouse they where to young?
Than I've my doubts.
I only speak for myself when I bought them at release date.
tioms, age 67,

Posted by: Moonshine ()
Date: February 11, 2017 14:06

tioms
And than; if I read that some people bought 3 or 4 lp's becouse they where to young?
Than I've my doubts.
tioms, age 67,

Totally get that and envy you the excitement of buying a new release in the 60s and 70s.

Date: February 11, 2017 14:47

Moonshine
tioms
Than I've my doubts.
tioms, age 67,

Totally get that and envy you the excitement of buying a new release in the 60s and 70s.

Buying GHS was especially a thrill for me when it came out as I was 13 in 1973 and it was the first album I ever purchased! It has a special place in my heart regardless of where it stands amongst the Stones other body of work. smiling smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 11, 2017 16:12

EddieByword
Rokyfan
Eddie is right. After the 72 tour they reconvened in JA. Whether or not any of them had even been there before has nothing to do with the word reconvened.

You could say they "reconvened in JA once again" . . . that would mean that they had convened in JA before.

By the way, great thread. I remember waiting for the SmithHaven Mall on LI to open so we could run to Sam Goody's or whatever it was and buy the new LP GHS. It was not really viewed as a letdown by fans then, although Dandy is obviously correct that Exile is a masterpiece so, in that sense, it is, even though I still think there is a lot of great music on it.

Cheers Roky..........there's one thing about having an OCD disorder >grinning smiley< about the correct usage of words & acronyms....ur bound to come unstuck at some point.......grinning smiley ....no hard feelings GLS

HA HA! I'm sorry. It bugged me for some reason. I live in a land where people say hot water heater...

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: February 11, 2017 17:26

Moonshine
the excitement of buying a new release in the 60s and 70s.

I bought most of their albums in the early 80s when I was 14/15/16 years of age. Each time I carried a "new one" home, I was very excited, no matter when the albums were released for the first time... At that time, starting to collect their albums, it was not always easy to tell the compilations from the original albums, especially for their 60s-output. And you did not have much information about their discography at all. Sometimes you thought "I got them all finally" and then you stumbled across an original album you haven´t heard of before...Nowaday you go to wiki and there´s all information you need.

My very first "release-day-buy" was Undercover, but I was not less excited when I bought GHS/IORR/BAB a year before that. It was always very special and exciting to buy a Stones-album. I felt the same way when I started collecting Bowie. Some of his recordings were even out of print back then... some where very hard to find... no record shop had DavidLive for example, took me two or three years to finally get it... back then there was no online-shop to click and buy... back then you were a hunter. It was fun.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: February 11, 2017 17:27

GasLightStreet
EddieByword
Rokyfan
Eddie is right. After the 72 tour they reconvened in JA. Whether or not any of them had even been there before has nothing to do with the word reconvened.

You could say they "reconvened in JA once again" . . . that would mean that they had convened in JA before.

By the way, great thread. I remember waiting for the SmithHaven Mall on LI to open so we could run to Sam Goody's or whatever it was and buy the new LP GHS. It was not really viewed as a letdown by fans then, although Dandy is obviously correct that Exile is a masterpiece so, in that sense, it is, even though I still think there is a lot of great music on it.

Cheers Roky..........there's one thing about having an OCD disorder >grinning smiley< about the correct usage of words & acronyms....ur bound to come unstuck at some point.......grinning smiley ....no hard feelings GLS

HA HA! I'm sorry. It bugged me for some reason. I live in a land where people say hot water heater...

When you think about it, "hot water heater" is correct. Once the water is heated it becomes "hot water". The heater then keeps the "hot water" hot, thus heating "hot water". Therefore, it is truly a "hot water heater". Sorry, I digress!

Re: GHS Stones Most Biggest Letdown?smiling bouncing smiley
Date: February 11, 2017 17:37

I always put hot water in my heater. So it is indeed a "hot water heater".smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: slew ()
Date: February 11, 2017 18:21

I have not commented on much lately but I happen to LOVE GHS. It is a little murky and full of decadence and great grooves. I for one like Dancing With Mr. D which is much maligned on the board. It is not as good as the four albums made prior to it. At some point there had to be a drop off in quality with the drugs and crazy lives the band was leading. Also for the first time the two main people in the group had real families that take up your energy. Mick and Keith would never spend time together again as they did up to Exile. Mick was off to being a jet setter and Keith immersed himself in a drug induced haze. It's amazing that they came up with anything. To always compare everything to what came out from 1968-1972 is unfair. If you don't find things in the albums that came out after EOMS you are cheating yourself out of some great music. IORR side one is outstanding, Black and Blue is highly underated and Hand of Fate is one of my favorites. Latter day Stones also have some merit as well and Blue and Lonesome is awesome. GHS to me is a great album not as great as the ones that preceded it but its grat in its own right. Coming Down Again is my favorite Keith tune along with Happy. Stop slagging this one and open your ears.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: February 11, 2017 19:14

GasLightStreet
EddieByword
Rokyfan

No problem....yes, water heater would do - after all, it's not going to heat it to cold.....you'd have a nervous breakdown here (Wales) where they say things like "I'll do it now in a minute"........&.... OCD disorder . winking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-11 19:26 by EddieByword.

Re: Goat's Head Soup opinions
Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: February 11, 2017 19:45

Give it the 2 missing songs (not so hard with all the outtakes) to be a 10 songs lp and you'll look at it differently. smoking smiley

Re: Goat's Head Soup opinions
Date: February 11, 2017 20:11

GHS is a ten-song LPconfused smiley
So which of the 10 songs on GHS you don´t consider as "songs"smoking smiley

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: February 11, 2017 21:18

Stoneage
Out of all the official RS studio albums (not re-releases included) I would put GHS after the big four and TY and SG.

Agree! I like it a lot and play it often!

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: February 11, 2017 22:20

Moonshine
HankM

I'm intriged, are your 2 Hand of fate and Memory Motel and the 1 Cherry Oh Baby?

You have the 2 great songs correct but not the other... and I shouldn't reveal that one. It would be foolish to say which one I would cry over. I always try to avoid wasting my time droning on about things/songs/albums/bands which I dont like when there are so many things I do like and are more fun to type about.smoking smiley

Date: February 12, 2017 09:22

rattler2004
DandelionPowderman

Exile and Some Girls have songs I like/love.

Black and Blue, for me is a touch better than Dirty Work...

Its just that out of all their studio releases it never appealed to me (like Dirty Work)...some I like immediately i.e. Steel Wheels & Undercover... but then they didn't age well....still like a few songs but I never listen to them all they way through.

Some I didn't like at first but after a while and a good listen they became favorites...they Exile, Emotional Rescue, in Exile's case my favorite album of all time.

Others started off good and remained so... That includes Voodoo, Bridges and Bang

Like I already stated, it all comes down to personal taste....art is for those who appreciate it, and how...what it means to each person...not neccessarily what the artist(s) intended, or what it means to him/her or them.

I definitely know what you mean smiling smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 13, 2017 15:29

Ross
GasLightStreet
EddieByword
Rokyfan

When you think about it, "hot water heater" is correct. Once the water is heated it becomes "hot water". The heater then keeps the "hot water" hot, thus heating "hot water". Therefore, it is truly a "hot water heater". Sorry, I digress!

But it's a cold water heater! Cold water goes in... it gets heated up!

Date: February 13, 2017 15:46

GasLightStreet
Ross
GasLightStreet
EddieByword
Rokyfan

But it's a cold water heater! Cold water goes in... it gets heated up!

A hot water boiler? winking smiley

Date: February 13, 2017 17:21

Back on topic! I find it interesting looking back how I was so early in my Stones fandom at the time that I thought Keith was the "lead guitarist!" Being 13 at the time GHS came out I thought at first that all those Taylor licks were Keith! Was I ever in for a sudden education. I'll never forget a friend of mine saying, "Dan - I've figured out how to tell the difference between Mick Taylor and Keith. Taylor sounds like he knows EXACTLY what he's doing, and Keith sounds like he just lets it rip from the gut. A pretty accurate assessment from a fellow 13 year old!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 25

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1894
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home