Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 25
Re: GHS Stones Most Biggest Letdown?
Date: February 5, 2017 01:54

Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Not sure what Can You Hear the Music has to do with this...

?

CYHMK = Can't You Hear Me Knocking

thumbs up

Too many smileys with beer

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: February 5, 2017 05:57

The biggest letdowns for me were Black & Blue, Emotional Rescue and Bridges To Babylon

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: February 5, 2017 11:55

boogaloojef
The biggest letdowns for me were Black & Blue, Emotional Rescue and Bridges To Babylon

Maybe you haven't heard ABB!

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: February 5, 2017 12:16

Dancing With Mr. D 1/10
100 Years Ago 8/10
Coming Down Again 3/10
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker) 7/10
Angie 9/10
Silver Train 1/10
Hide Your Love 5/10
Winter 8/10
Can You Hear The Music 3/10
Star Star 6/10

Date: February 5, 2017 12:41

Dancing With Mr. D 3/10
100 Years Ago 7/10
Coming Down Again 10/10
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker) 6/10
Angie 9/10
Silver Train 2/10
Hide Your Love 6/10
Winter 3/10
Can You Hear The Music 10/10
Star Star 6/10

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: February 5, 2017 13:34

it is a bit of a let down..

highlights for me are 100 Years Ago and Winter.
Still a good album...and probably great for any other artist.

Posted by: MrMibbs ()
Date: February 5, 2017 14:20

HonkeyTonkFlash
So Ultimate Classic Rock calls Goat's Head Soup the Stones biggest letdown....I don't think so....I would nominate Satanic Majesties.
[ultimateclassicrock.com]
What about A Bigger Bore

Date: February 5, 2017 14:50

HMS

Dancing With Mr. D --- 0/10

Coming Down Again --- 0/10

grinning smiley

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: February 5, 2017 15:02

TheflyingDutchman
HMS

grinning smiley

Dancing with Mr. D 0/10?!!!
What about Sweet Neo Con, Streets of Love,
Driving too Fast,Infamy or Look what the cat dragged in?!! -10/10?!

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: February 5, 2017 15:11

"Letdown"? An album that includes "Winter", "Heartbreaker", "Coming Down Again", "Silver Train", "Angie", "Star Star" and "100 years ago"? Gimme a break...

Date: February 5, 2017 16:01

laertisflash
"Letdown"? An album that includes "Winter", "Heartbreaker", "Coming Down Again", "Silver Train", "Angie", "Star Star" and "100 years ago"? Gimme a break...

Are you saying that those songs are on par with Shine A Light, Let It Loose, Rocks Off, All Down The Line, Rip This Joint and Loving Cup?

Date: February 5, 2017 16:25

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
UrbanSteel
Someone who calls Goats Head Soup, Stones Most Biggest let down album, must be an idiot.

Seemingly Keith Richards called it a junky album.

I don't like @#$%& on the album, a bit "empty". The other songs sound quite ok to me, and the '73 live versions are realy great , imo.

I believe it was "junkie" and not "junky". A huge difference smiling smiley

According to the Oxford Dictionary both are possible as a noun: Junkie / Junky. I meant it as a noun.

Apart from that I don't always agree with Mr Richard's (verbal) musical opinions.smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-05 16:33 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: February 5, 2017 17:04

The 5 worst albums for me: GHS, ER, VL, BTB (both). But remember they're all still better than the best albums of most bands!

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: February 5, 2017 17:26

KRiffhard
TheflyingDutchman
HMS

grinning smiley

Sweet Neo Con --- 6/10
Streets Of Love --- 0/10
Driving Too Fast --- 8/10
Infamy --- 0/10
Look What The Cat Dragged In --- 9/10

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: February 5, 2017 17:35

HMS
KRiffhard
TheflyingDutchman
HMS

grinning smiley

Sweet Neo Con --- 6/10
Streets Of Love --- 0/10
Driving Too Fast --- 8/10
Infamy --- 0/10
Look What The Cat Dragged In --- 9/10

I'd say

SNC 8/10
SOL 4/10, but the RW solo 10/10
DTF 5/10
I 10/10
LWTCDI 7/10

Date: February 5, 2017 17:48

TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
UrbanSteel
Someone who calls Goats Head Soup, Stones Most Biggest let down album, must be an idiot.

I don't like @#$%& on the album, a bit "empty". The other songs sound quite ok to me, and the '73 live versions are realy great , imo.

According to the Oxford Dictionary both are possible as a noun: Junkie / Junky. I meant it as a noun.

Apart from that I don't always agree with Mr Richard's (verbal) musical opinions.smiling smiley

Drug-addict music vs trash...

Date: February 5, 2017 18:57

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
UrbanSteel

Slang. Fits Keith perfectly.grinning smiley

[en.oxforddictionaries.com]

Date: February 5, 2017 19:03

TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
UrbanSteel

Nice, but he did say "junkie music" smiling smiley

Date: February 5, 2017 19:06

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
UrbanSteel

Did he also spell it ? He's an American by now. And..he was the only junky at the time, so he was speaking for the entire band. A bit arrogant, imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-05 19:08 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: February 5, 2017 20:40

The way I remember it back in the mid and late 70s was that it was a big let down trilogy; that is, "Goat's Head Soup", "It's Only Rock N' Roll", and "Black and Blue". At the time I was ready to forget the Stones, but then "Some Girls" came out, followed by "Emotional Rescue" and "Tatoo You", which made me a big fan once again.

Not to mention the other big let down trilogy: "Voodoo Lounge", "Bridges To Babylon", and "A Bigger Bang".

And also the solo let down: "Dirty Work".

As far as I am concerned, "Goat's Head Soup" was the very best of the let downs.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 5, 2017 21:04

I was a bit young to be an album buyer in the day, but with the ability of hindsight, GHS is a clear drop in quality from the previous 4 albums, notwithstanding there are some good songs, and it certainly isn't the bands worst album.

But Dancing with Mr. D, Can You Hear The Music, Star Star, Silver Train (didn't we just get ALL DOWN THE LINE, the SUPERIOR version of the same song?)...come on this is a band without direction.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: February 5, 2017 21:08

laertisflash

thumbs up

Date: February 5, 2017 21:24

DandelionPowderman
laertisflash

Are you saying that those songs are on par with Shine A Light, Let It Loose, Rocks Off, All Down The Line, Rip This Joint and Loving Cup?

But what really is "on par" with something else? Are those Exile-tracks you mention "on par" with Satisfaction, Paint It Black, JJF, BS, HTW, Gimme Shelter, Sympathy For The Devil, You Can't Always Get What You Want (just to mention a few)??? Would it mean that Exile was a letdown compared to previous efforts?

GHS is different, not what people were expecting from the Stones at the time - and I love it all the more for that. As a musician, you can't follow the same route endlessly without becoming all too repetetive at some point. For the Stones, this point obviously came after Exile. Consequently, they tried new angles, new sounds. It's just a natural development and no "letdown" at all.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: February 5, 2017 21:26

I came in to GHS from an odd perspective. The album that made me a fan was Ya Ya's and I was familiar with the hits but I hadn't even heard Exile all the way through when I bought GHS, the first album I ever purchased at age 13. I was just thrilled to have something new from the Stones. I would catch up on all the history in due time...

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Date: February 5, 2017 22:01

TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
UrbanSteel

Did he also spell it ? He's an American by now. And..he was the only junky at the time, so he was speaking for the entire band. A bit arrogant, imo.

He was the only JUNKIE at the time (or was he?) smiling smiley

Date: February 5, 2017 22:04

retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
laertisflash

But what really is "on par" with something else? Are those Exile-tracks you mention "on par" with Satisfaction, Paint It Black, JJF, BS, HTW, Gimme Shelter, Sympathy For The Devil, You Can't Always Get What You Want (just to mention a few)??? Would it mean that Exile was a letdown compared to previous efforts?

GHS is different, not what people were expecting from the Stones at the time - and I love it all the more for that. As a musician, you can't follow the same route endlessly without becoming all too repetetive at some point. For the Stones, this point obviously came after Exile. Consequently, they tried new angles, new sounds. It's just a natural development and no "letdown" at all.

Good question, but right now we're discussing whether GHS was a let down after Exile.

It was different all right, but wasn't that one of the reasons why it was considered a let down?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-05 22:05 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: February 5, 2017 22:41

retired_dog

That's how I remember it when it got released. It was different, it works when you're in a certain mood, just like Exile.

Date: February 5, 2017 23:00

DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
laertisflash

Good question, but right now we're discussing whether GHS was a let down after Exile.

It was different all right, but wasn't that one of the reasons why it was considered a let down?

I don't need lessons in what we're discussing right now, Mr. Teacher.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: February 5, 2017 23:14

well we as consensus differ on let down but a lot think a drop off;
i don't know if they were exhausted fomr a multi year world wide tours that many think are the premiere live work ever; at least moderately interested fans, not casual ones...they did a week in jamaica end of that year then about a month in june back in UK; i think that's the time frame; i think they worked hard on the songs there are some good ones; but i dont really know about the inside scoop. 3 of them were having heroin issues, not sure when charlie got it but 2 of them for sure; it got really serious on both of them; one left altogether not so long after. The producer's last LP w them as they say he was tanking from H those days as well; not to slag his production or hard work just sniffing around as long as the thead is here...i mean maybe they did twice as much of that during the golden 4; i dn'[t know. maybe it all caught up with them after making rock solid forever history never said by some, to be equalled. were they exhausted; did it start to reflect more of a seperate thing between them that later would have them making demos and writing with out each other...it didn't let me down; nothing could; there was so much great stuff; the golden four became ever contempoary as needed; this one wasn't like that at all; maybe they burnt out a little. or a lot. how much did Jimmy patch together from all those many tracks everyone was using now...wasn't a lot of eoms on 16 track in the truck i'm not sure at the time...maybe they made those greatest albums same kind thing; maybe not; they are really all over the world away from each other with a six month gap between one week in december and a month in june...wtf i dunno; next to the uber great ones it's not much to me; when i hear angie on the radio out of the blue at the beach or something i am the complete pop sap; i think it's the greatest; that's not on my nerves w this thing; i love a lot of those songs; just i don't think they were searching and creating so much as throwing someting together; but i wasn't there;

angie is easy to slag as pop fluff but those lyrics burnt right thru me; it was a world weary admission and acceptance of something really painful passing but done with a kind of reverence; if it was k dealing with saying goodbye to you know who or micks take on that whatever; "with no loving in our souls.." where the hell you gonna get a pop lyric like that; i could fight for songs good fans hate; but all im all this album could ge looked at as someones sweet special favorite or also the beginning of what would be different expectations from them ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-05 23:25 by hopkins.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 5, 2017 23:48

angie is easy to slag as pop fluff but those lyrics burnt right thru me; it was a world weary admission and acceptance of something really painful passing but done with a kind of reverence; if it was k dealing with saying goodbye to you know who or micks take on that whatever; "with no loving in our souls.." where the hell you gonna get a pop lyric like that; i could fight for songs good fans hate;

Great words Hopkins....same feelings....

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 25

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2031
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home