Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 25
Re: Goat's Head Soup opinions
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 13, 2017 17:46

Here is my top ten list of official Stones studio albums (re-releases not included):

1-4 The Big Four - in whatever order!
5. Tattoo You
6. Some Girls
7. Goat's head Soup
8. It's Only Rock and Roll
9. Undercover
10. Black and Blue

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 13, 2017 20:03

Stoneage
Here is my top ten list of official Stones studio albums (re-releases not included):

1-4 The Big Four - in whatever order!
5. Tattoo You
6. Some Girls
7. Goat's head Soup
8. It's Only Rock and Roll
9. Undercover
10. Black and Blue

But those albums have been re-released. Several times!

Today it's this ranking:
1. Sticky Fingers
2. Tattoo You
3. Let It Bleed
4. Exile On Main Street
5. Beggars Banquet
6. Goat's Head Soup
7. Undercover
8. Black And Blue
9. It's Only Rock'N'Roll
10. Some Girls

Date: February 13, 2017 20:08

We're doing this again? OK smiling smiley

1. Beggars Banquet
2. Aftermath
3. Some Girls
4. Sticky Fingers
5. Exile On Main Street
6. Let It Bleed
7. Emotional Rescue
8. Tattoo You
9. Between The Buttons
10. The Rolling Stones

Date: February 13, 2017 20:10

DandelionPowderman
We're doing this again? OK smiling smiley

1. Beggars Banquet
2. Aftermath
3. Some Girls
4. Sticky Fingers
5. Exile On Main Street
6. Let It Bleed
7. Emotional Rescue
8. Tattoo You
9. Between The Buttons
10. The Rolling Stones

Eh, you know... why not. It's not like anyone's stays the same, is it? Although last I knew the album being talked about should be in the ranking ha ha.

Date: February 13, 2017 20:13

LOL, you noticed smiling smiley

Re: GHS Stones Most Biggest Letdown?
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 13, 2017 21:09

Goats Head Soup is a strange, funky, and fun album. Not as serious as Exile, yet eclectic and playful. With a wide-range of styles. I like it and always have. I too like Dancing with Mr. D. A great trance voodoo groove. And some great riffing. There isn't a bad song on the album. I have the Japanese vinyl import from the 80s and it sounds wonderful. Not murky at all. A lovely album made under very trying circumstances.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: February 13, 2017 21:47

whitem8
There isn't a bad song on the album.

Not necessarily bad songs but where the hell are the good songs? The album is loaded with boring ballads and second-rate rockers. Even the best songs on it (Star Star, Hide Your Love, Heartbreaker) are miles away from SF- or Exile-quality... and to be honest, there are some bad songs on GHS, not as awful as Streets Of Love, Moonlight Mile, Out Of Tears, Rock And A Hard Place, Indian Girl, New Faces, Thief In The Night, Out Of Control, Blinded By Love, Sweethearts Together, Saint Of Me, Always Suffering, Already Over Me but nevertheless sub-standard, namely Coming Down Again, Winter, Can You Hear The Music with Coming Down Again obviously being the most boring Stones-song ever.

Top-10-albums? Well let´s go:

01 Sticky Fingers
02 Let It Bleed
03 Beggars Banquet
04 Black And Blue
05 Exile On Main Street
06 Dirty Work
07 Emotional Rescue
08 Undercover
09 The Rolling Stones
10 Blue And Lonesome

No TY of course...
TY = no regular studio album.
TY = compilation.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 13, 2017 21:57

Well good songs for me are all of them! Especially, Winter, Star Star, 100 Years Ago, Heartbreaker, and Angie.

Posted by: nomis ()
Date: February 13, 2017 22:24

About the same for me. I've continued to love GHS over all the years and grown to like Black and Blue too. The deal with GHS is the decadence and laziness of it. That's what makes it so great. Coming Down Again, Winter and Can You Hear the Music.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: February 13, 2017 23:28

Good album. Would love to hear more of the Jimmy Miller mix productions. Ideally in a GHS deluxe version/vault release. There are at least some of these. I think they would be great in hindseight. More percussive. If the 2 outtakes I heard are any indication, which I think sound great.I suspect those were produced by Miller.
At least they sound very different and more percussive compared to the lp production.

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: February 14, 2017 00:45

Sometimes I'm up, sometimes I'm down Eh, as far as meh ya know hey
muuuyahaahh bllah blah Sometimes I'm falling on the ground
How do you hide, how do you hide your love?

Now look here, baby, it sure looks sweet, out in the street or in the house... heat

Keyboards please... need some keyboards.... come on Billy... or Nicky.. or someone

yyyeeeaaaahhhhhhhh..... tink a tink...

Why do you hide, why do you hide your love?
Why do you hide, baby, why do you hide your love?

[Verse 2]
Oh, been a sick man, I want to cry
Lord, I'm a drunk man, but now I'm dry
Why do you hide, why do you hide your love?
Now look here, baby, you sure look cheap
I make money seven days a week

Now some geeetar.... yeaaaah... thanks Mick

Come on, come on, come on
Oh, babe, I'm reaching, reaching high
Oh, yeah, I'm falling out of the sky

I cant hide it, I cant hide my love of this album.... gonna get high on it

Now... DO SOME MOAR OF THEM GEEETAR RIFFS!!!
aaaahh yeah...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-14 00:48 by HankM.

Date: February 14, 2017 01:17

HMS
whitem8
There isn't a bad song on the album.

Not necessarily bad songs but where the hell are the good songs? The album is loaded with boring ballads and second-rate rockers. Even the best songs on it (Star Star, Hide Your Love, Heartbreaker) are miles away from SF- or Exile-quality... and to be honest, there are some bad songs on GHS, not as awful as Streets Of Love, Moonlight Mile, Out Of Tears, Rock And A Hard Place, Indian Girl, New Faces, Thief In The Night, Out Of Control, Blinded By Love, Sweethearts Together, Saint Of Me, Always Suffering, Already Over Me but nevertheless sub-standard, namely Coming Down Again, Winter, Can You Hear The Music with Coming Down Again obviously being the most boring Stones-song ever.

Top-10-albums? Well let´s go:

01 Sticky Fingers
02 Let It Bleed
03 Beggars Banquet
04 Black And Blue
05 Exile On Main Street
06 Dirty Work
07 Emotional Rescue
08 Undercover
09 The Rolling Stones
10 Blue And Lonesome

No TY of course...
TY = no regular studio album.
TY = compilation.

TY - all studio recordings never before released. Therefor a studio album. You continue to fail at that yet list several albums that are similar to TY.

Hypocrite.

Date: February 14, 2017 01:44

TY: No songs were especially written for that album. It´s all old material. For all other studio albums they went into the studio recording at least mostly brandnew songs. TY = compiled by the producer, finished by Mick without any or only minor new contributions by other band members. Half of it is from 1973-75 - That´s simply not the way new studio albums are created, therefor TY = no regular studio album. Anyone can see that.

A good one, but not a new one. They were cheating on us and gave us a fake album, back then I indeed thought they had invited MT to guest on brandnew songs. TY is just the same as most of the bonus material on Exile deluxe and nobody would say Exile deluxe is a regular new studio album. A Bigger Bang is a regular studio album, Blue And Lonesome is a regular studio album, even Black And Blue is a regular studio album although it took them rather long time to finish it. TY isn´t a regular studio album.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: February 14, 2017 03:03

HMS
TY: No songs were especially written for that album. It´s all old material. For all other studio albums they went into the studio recording at least mostly brandnew songs. TY = compiled by the producer, finished by Mick without any or only minor new contributions by other band members. Half of it is from 1973-75 - That´s simply not the way new studio albums are created, therefor TY = no regular studio album. Anyone can see that.

A good one, but not a new one. They were cheating on us and gave us a fake album, back then I indeed thought they had invited MT to guest on brandnew songs. TY is just the same as most of the bonus material on Exile deluxe and nobody would say Exile deluxe is a regular new studio album. A Bigger Bang is a regular studio album, Blue And Lonesome is a regular studio album, even Black And Blue is a regular studio album although it took them rather long time to finish it. TY isn´t a regular studio album.

There's a big difference between releasing 40 year old stuff from Exile (which the band acknowledged were bonus outtakes and nothing more and finishing off* 9 songs, the oldest of which, at the time, was only 7 years old anyway and the youngest only 2 years old.....
* Mick said most of them were just bits without melodies or lyrics until 1981........(which is why they weren't released immediately upon conception.....

Plus, Neighbours & Heaven were brand new songs especially written to go on TY.

Plus, there was no cheating going on, these TY songs were declared as being off the cutting room floor and made good right from the outset.......Who's cheating? not the Stones........

Plus - re. your comment: "That´s simply not the way new studio albums are created" - You're ruler of the muses are you?

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: February 14, 2017 03:24

lol...
kind of like reading the notes for a possible upcoming episode of Seinfeld...

Whats the deal with Ovaltine Tattoo You? Its not... yadda yadda yadda

grinning smiley

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: February 14, 2017 12:06

A top 10 list. No better way to start a new working day.

1. Exile On Main Street
2. Let It Bleed
3. Beggar's Banquet
4. Tattoo You
5. Sticky Fingers
6. Some Girls
7. Aftermath
8. The Rolling Stones
9. Out Of Our Heads
10. Emotional Rescue

Date: February 14, 2017 12:10

A strong list, matxil! What a band! thumbs up

Date: February 14, 2017 16:29

HMS

The only aspect that you're right about is that nothing was specifically recorded for TATTOO YOU - except the lyrics, vocals, saxophone. Aside from that, for the millionth time, it is a way new studio albums are created. Led Zeppelin did it. The Beatles did it. The Stones did it. Loads of others did it.

You just need to get over your ignorance.

HMS
A good one, but not a new one. They were cheating on us and gave us a fake album

Wrong. Again. For the vagillionth time.

HMS
back then I indeed thought they had invited MT to guest on brandnew songs.

Good for you.

HMS
TY is just the same as most of the bonus material on Exile deluxe and nobody would say Exile deluxe is a regular new studio album.

It's long enough to be an album. But it wasn't intended to be an album in terms of a new album ie finished songs. However it is technically an album, which, for the millionth time, is a collection. But then therefor TY is not the same as the EOMS bonus album - TY has finished songs and is therefor a studio album in terms of the rest of their studio albums - new album with new songs ie never before released.

You want to continue to live in ignorance go ahead - you're doing a great job of it.

Date: February 14, 2017 16:30

EddieByword
Neighbours & Heaven were brand new songs especially written to go on TY.

They were recorded for EMOTIONAL RESCUE.

Date: February 14, 2017 16:34

Tops is one of the best songs on TATTOO YOU.

There may be more GHS sessions leftovers lurking that they could release - finished or not - someday.

Date: February 14, 2017 17:16

An album of never before released/heard songs of course is a "new album" in some sense. But it´s very different from a "real new album" containing newly written/recorded music.

If the Stones go into the studio for some days every now and then during 2015-17 to record new songs then it´s a real new studio album. If they go into the studio only to work on leftofvers it´s not a real new studio album. Creating an album the way TY was, should be the exception of the rule, not the routine.

A "real new studio album" should be created within two or three years prior to release date, all of the instrumental tracks as well as the vocal tracks recorded especially for that "new album". Preferably containing songs written during the aforemontioned period of two or three years. But for God´s sake they may use a song that´s been lying around for ten years if they record it all anew.

They can use songs from 1962-2017, as long as they don´t use existing instrumental/vocal tracks. The result would still be a "new and regular" album, although the ideal of a a "new album" should be a collection of songs not older than 2 or three years.

Date: February 14, 2017 17:17

That means that Sticky Fingers and Exile aren't real albums...

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: February 14, 2017 17:24

To me one vital question is: What did the band in each case intend their release to be?

Date: February 14, 2017 17:32

DandelionPowderman

If some of it´s instrumental and/or vocal tracks are older than three years I´m afraid SF and EXILE indeed aren´t real albums, at least not what the ideal of a new album should be.

Date: February 14, 2017 17:32

Witness
To me one vital question is: What did the band in each case intend their release to be?

As there are several 1968/1969-songs on SF and Exile, those songs probably were intended for release on earlier albums.

Date: February 14, 2017 17:36

DandelionPowderman

And LET IT BLEED and EMOTIONAL RESCUE and IT'S ONLY ROCK'N'ROLL and UNDERCOVER.

You know, U is not a real album because it has a song from 1975 on it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-14 17:38 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 14, 2017 17:39

....which leaves us with.......Dirty Work! Maybe the only real Stones album with fresh material ever done?

Date: February 14, 2017 17:39

Just made a playlist of a longer GHS with...

Criss Cross Mind
Tops
Through The Lonely Nights
Waiting On A Friend

... and it's even more killer.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: February 14, 2017 17:41

DandelionPowderman
Witness

As there are several 1968/1969-songs on SF and Exile, those songs probably were intended for release on earlier albums.

I did not say recording, but release. That is, it was more or less a rhetorical question: What did the band mean, for instance, TATTOO YOU as?

Date: February 14, 2017 17:42

Witness
DandelionPowderman
Witness

I did not say recording, but release. That is, it was more or less a rhetorical question: What did the band mean, for instance, TATTOO YOU as?

A new LP, of course, which is was.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 25

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1442
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home