Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...294295296297298299300301302303304...LastNext
Current Page: 299 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 18, 2019 16:50

Which is more difficult?

a) to start a human colony on Mars?
b) record a new Rolling Stones studio album?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-18 17:25 by Stoneage.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 18, 2019 17:23

Mars, i think. or maybe it was April???
jeroen

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 18, 2019 17:27

Thanks Rudolph. Apparently it's spelled in two ways in English. Strange. The origin is the same.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-18 17:30 by Stoneage.

Date: February 18, 2019 17:53

Just listened to the album Bridges to Babylon. really, really hope, the new album wont be like that. Some Mick songs, some Keef songs. although most songs on it are quite good. Hope the new album sounds more coherent and has a good sound mix.

Just excited we will get new stuff, although when ???

Jeroen

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: February 18, 2019 18:26

Doxa's comments re ABKCO rights are interesting though all parties will be aware that the clock is ticking re expiry and then public domain. (2033/40).
Also, hadnt appreciated this, but by re-signing with UMG the group have now been with them for a longer period than any other label.
They have some way to go to beat the music publishing deal they had with EMI however..that one lasted about 40 years.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: February 18, 2019 19:39

JordyLicks96
I've probably been following the new album page since it started up in 2016. I've enjoyed the discussion but I think its gone a bit overboard at this point. Yes, this is probably the longest its ever taken for them to record a new album. Do I expect the finished product to be among the best they've ever put out? Absolutely not. Do I expect it to be a quality album with classic Stones plus some new stuff we've never heard from them yet? Yes, absolutely. I'm extremely excited for this new album.

I want it to be eclectic, like BRIDGES TO BABYLON, but with more of a classic Stones sound. While I enjoyed parts of A BIGGER BANG, it was too "Stones by the numbers" and contained too much filler. I'd like this album to be 12 songs, with a few songs released on special editions. I've been alive for 3 studio album releases (I was only 1 when BRIDGES TO BABYLON came out). So I've gotten A BIGGER BANG and BLUE & LONESOME the day they came out. Knowing this will most likely be their last album, it's understandable they want to get it right and make it a great album. This album will be apart of their historic catalogue of albums, forever apart of their history. I'm still optimistic for a new song for the tour this Spring, if not, than I hope for the new album in late 2019 or Spring 2020.

This sounds right to me; I'm also banking on a good album with great songs.
the instagram clip of Mick sounded super imo. they are clever boys after all,
and gifted, and probably pretty focused at work, when they do get around to Stones LP work anyway.
I was 12 when England's Newest Hitmakers was released but that
doesn't make me any more of fan than a young person like you.
Or, of course and obviously, very many honestly deep and knowledgeable
fans here on IORR that are the many decades older than you,
but still decades younger than hops.
I admire the passion and perspective you offer.
Comparisons to previous works are, I guess, how we find our relative footing in the world,
but also, for me anyway, to some extent pave a road toward sure criticism
and analysis that more impedes enjoying what's freshly being offered soon,
(that would be 'soon' lurking friends of the band, uh, tell 'em we're ready to help promote it). smoking smiley
soon come mon

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 18, 2019 19:48

jlowe
Doxa's comments re ABKCO rights are interesting though all parties will be aware that the clock is ticking re expiry and then public domain. (2033/40).
Also, hadnt appreciated this, but by re-signing with UMG the group have now been with them for a longer period than any other label.
They have some way to go to beat the music publishing deal they had with EMI however..that one lasted about 40 years.

Apparently their publishing is still with EMI.

Date: February 18, 2019 19:53

LeonidP
GasLightStreet
matxil
I don't know but it seems to me that the battles between GasLightStreet and HMS (where is that guy?) were a lot funnier. But keep on trying guys.

HarlemShuffle is a trolling dolt and people keep responding to the idiocy. There are proper ways to respond to such infantile troglodyteism.

?? And that differs in what way to your constant responses to the trolling dolt, HMS?

Because of how insipidly hilarious he was about praising one of the worst pieces of recorded music in history.

You're right though - he should've been ignored as well. However, he wasn't rude like Harlem Shuffle is.

Date: February 18, 2019 19:55

bitusa2012
Rockman
What is LAB??

Lonesome And Blue ........... Blue And Lonesome arse about ….

We're downunder and upside down. Gaslight Street must be northern hemisphere and backwards...

I really put LAB?

I dunno why I did that. Of course I meant BAL...

Date: February 18, 2019 20:07

retired_dog
GasLightStreet
I'm going to just... Doxa - on a limb here - based on what I've read and how I understand record deals and what you said - the deal they have with UMG regarding the 15 million hence 3 new albums being that The Rolling Stones have to give them 3 new albums - per the deal - uh, well, the deal says this... 3 new albums. Period.

UMG is a bank. The $15 million is only a loan.

BLUE AND LONSESOME is one album.

But. As with what happened with, I may be wrong with this so anyone that wants to lay me out about it go ahead, but their deal with Sony? that started with... uhhhh, Sony for DIRTY WORK plus 2 new albums, I think, they managed to arrange for STEEL WHEELS and FLASHPOINT, because they were free to sign elsewhere after, hence Virgin.

That was when it still mattered.

The Stones, regarding their deal with UMG, owed UMG $15 million.

The 3 new albums plus backlog etc however you want to put it... there's no telling how what was said in 2008 and what happened later changed - we don't know.

If we, as fans, go by what was said, The Rolling Stones owe UMG two more studio albums.

The reported $15 million were an advance on licensing fees, not a loan. They were, as quite common with with major artists, non-recoupable.

Just two short examples to clarify this:

Scenario a: Good sales during the contracted licensing period earn the Stones, let's say $50 million in licensing fees. In this case UMG would have to pay them a further $35 million (grand total 50 minus advance payment 15 = 35).

Scenario b: Bad sales during the contracted licensing period earn the Stones only, let's say $10 million in licensing fees. One would think that in this case, the Stones would have to pay $5 million back to Universal because their advance was higher than what they actually earned. But, no. Because the advance was non-recoupable, in this case the Stones would not be contractually forced to pay back anything to UMG.

The way the article said it made it sound like the usual historical advance record labels give, which, of course, historically an advance is used to lure a band into loyalty - and a responsibility to come through on the agreement - and get paid back through sales.

$15 million is chump change for the Stones - but not really - it's $15 million.

Date: February 18, 2019 20:12

Doxa
GasLightStreet
Doxa
Hmm.. from the base of those articles, I don't see anything mentioned about UMG paying for recording sessions/production/distribution, just that the Stones should provide them three new albums (the deal of 2008). That deal of $15 millions in advance includes three new albums and the rights to release their past catalogue since 1971. The Stones succeeded providing Universal two new albums - GRRR! and BLUE & LONESOME (both great sellers). However, they've have provided also three extra bonus albums to company their catalogue releases (don't know how those actually count). There have been talks, here and elsewhere, them owing one new studio album to Universal - but I recall that talk starting already before them came up with BLUE & LONESOME.

But the deal was re-newed in 2018. There is no mention of any numbers in bucks, but neither was mentioned about any new albums any longer, but only of the rights to their past 1971 catalogue, which seem to include "new projects" and "reissues". But the new UMG deal considerably was extended to include Bravado to "handle global merchandising rights, retail licensing, brand management and e-commerce on behalf of the band, including their iconic tongue logo, one of the most universally recognized symbols in entertainment". Plus the usual expansion of Eagle Rock deal.

However, we do not know the exact details of these deals (at least those articles doesn't provide them), but I don't think the Stones 'owe' any money Universal due to their 2008 agreement. That deal is dead and gone, and Universal most likely was satisfied what they got with their $15 million investment (including two hit albums, three bonus-album deluxe editions of catalogue albums, one of which was a million seller, 'normal' re-issues, Eagle Rock's DVD releases, etc.). And if they were not, that was most likely sorted out in the new deal.

Now pure speculaton: my picture is that The Stones are free of the third new album demand set by the old deal by now (even though I am sure we will see a brand new greatest hits collection as they reach 60). If they get the thing done, it will be included to those "new projects" as the upcoming greatest hits-collection, but they are not obliged to do that. I don't think it is a co-incidence that after the deal was re-newed last year, the pressure from Universal's side has seem to have gone minimal in regard to a new studio album. There surely wasn't too strong deadlines earlier either, but at least the upcoming expiration date in July 2018 of the old deal should have made UMG a bit worried back then. My gut feeling is that the Bravado extension in the new deal was the extra cake to enrich the usual 'take care of our post-1971 catalogue' offer. It looks like the tongue logo was the product the Stones still were able to 'sell', not any new music...

Anyway, I recall someone here claiming that UMG has especially paid them some millions in advance for a new album. I'd like to know more about that.

- Doxa

I'm going to just... Doxa - on a limb here - based on what I've read and how I understand record deals and what you said - the deal they have with UMG regarding the 15 million hence 3 new albums being that The Rolling Stones have to give them 3 new albums - per the deal - uh, well, the deal says this... 3 new albums. Period.

UMG is a bank. The $15 million is only a loan.

BLUE AND LONSESOME is one album.

But. As with what happened with, I may be wrong with this so anyone that wants to lay me out about it go ahead, but their deal with Sony? that started with... uhhhh, Sony for DIRTY WORK plus 2 new albums, I think, they managed to arrange for STEEL WHEELS and FLASHPOINT, because they were free to sign elsewhere after, hence Virgin.

That was when it still mattered.

The Stones, regarding their deal with UMG, owed UMG $15 million.

The 3 new albums plus backlog etc however you want to put it... there's no telling how what was said in 2008 and what happened later changed - we don't know.

If we, as fans, go by what was said, The Rolling Stones owe UMG two more studio albums.

I think the problem is that when it is announced 'three new albums', one (you and me) is tempted to interpret that as three new studio albums. Probably that is what a fan likes to think. But from the point of view of record label it makes no difference what type of album the new release is. Of course, a new studio album is most preferable, since those most likely are good sellers. The great sale history of brandnew Stones albums verifies that. But the same goes for their greatest hits collections (which, technically, are as new albums as a new studio album, no reissues). I am sure every major record label in the world would every ten years to have their own new Rolling Stones greatest hits collection to distribute, and pick up the money from their safe and sure million sales.

When in 2008 The Stones made the deal with UMG I am sure the upcoming GRRR.. was part of the 'three album deal'. Knowing that both ABKCO and Promotone material would be under the same umbrella distributor (a great advantage of UMG in negotations) and that their 50th Anniversary was coming, it is very likely that a major high profile whole career-covering collection was a big part of the deal (like 40 LICKS never happened).

By contrast, to think the Stones to promise in 2008 three brand new studio albums to be released in ten years would have sounded science-fiction for anyone involved. At that time they had relesed just one album during the last decade. Like they would now having a sudden burst of creativity. Having just ended a three year tour, everyone seemingly not interested doing anything for some years, if ever (only 50th Anniversary there somewhere in horizon, not sure yet how to handle it). Their other main song-writer still healing from a brain accident, stopping guitar playing, considering retirement and the biggest creativity having at the time was that of considering writing a memo book. What they were looking after at the time (2008) was to find a new home for their post 1971 material. That was the biggest concern for the band. Of course, one could suggest that Mick & co were so clever that they were were fooling UMG at those negotations and making false promises there about three new studio albums, but, honestly, I don't think the folks at UMG were that stupid.

What actually happened after signing the deal was the high-profile reissues of their most celebrated Promotone era albums. I am sure that that was somehow part of the original deal, since that was something especially Mick Jagger committed himself to in 2009, him almost like working for a new album (technically being not much different to him as it was once for TATTOO YOU). I don't Mick just do it for the fun of it or having a sudden nostalgic feel, but he was somehow obliged to do it. UMG wanted to make big fuss about the re-issue of EXILE. They promoted like a new album, three of them, sometimes Keith - almost totally retired - alone even made TV shows to promote it, UMG-owned company Eagle Rock released a documentary of EXILE-story, produced by the Stones themselves, etc. And it paid back: the album re-entered the top of the charts. With SOME GIRLS that was re-done the following year, this time with a bit lesser effort by anyone, and with lesser success in charts and sales.

I don't know how these re-issues with bonus albums are connected to the 'three album deal' but I am sure it needs to be somehow, taken the amount of energy and effort they put to them. Was is compansating of not delivering any new material, or was it initially a substantial part of the original deal? My quess is the latter.

The fact is that it took over four years since signing the deal for the band to come up anything new and original. Two songs to help the sales of GRRRR.... Then about over seven years from singing the deal to start making a proper brandnew studio album, just two and a half years until the deal was about expire. They managed to come up with BLUE AND LONESOME, which probably wasn't something UMG was looking and hoping after, but it sales surely made everyone happy (and for UMG as a distributor, it doesn't matter if the song credits say "Jagger/Richards" or "Willie Dixon" if the bloody item just sells).

Summa summarum. Nothing factual (the context, the condition and the future of the Stones in 2008 and what they actually have accomplished since then) really supports the idea that the Stones back in 2008 were signing a deal to provide three brandnew studio albums in the upcoming ten years. That's just wish-talk in trying to interpret the claimed 'three new albums' deal in terms of the past.

But I would like very much to know what the new deal done last year says about the new album they are making at the moment (or have done since 2015). Nothing is mentioned about that (or any new albums) in UMG's official announcements. Does that still belong to the old deal (and the Stones still somehow owe it to UMG), or is it just some extra 'new project' to beef up the new deal. But like I mentioned in my post above the tongue trade-mark, the brand, the merchandise and whatever non-musical crap is an important addition to the re-newed deal with UMG. Seemingly that was much more important for UMG to announce than any option of possible new music. And probably offering the rights for those was the strongest (last?) selling point from the behalf of the Stones (to add to the usual 'take care of post 1971 catalogue' deal, which value probably isn't increasing as the years go by; rather the opposite, as its target audiences aren't getting any younger, and its biggest fishs are already utilized by major deluxe editions).

- Doxa

That is how it sounds, the 3 being new original studio albums. I agree that somewhere or somehow that is not the case (even with the 2 new records with the EOMS and SG reissues). Obviously - they've only done one studio album, by accident.

Since SoundScan doesn't count a double album as 2 albums anymore, technically they've released 2 albums..., the silly simian one and the blues album, so this new one, if it ever happens, will be the third.

Arguably, anyway.

Really can't see another greatest hits album in a few years... but then I never expected whatever that was in 2012 either.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: February 18, 2019 20:14

Sorry to go off topic but it's coming up to a milestone here and a certain poster left last week and it's a pity because this guy talks about the Stones on many levels and how there are parallels with Mick, Keith & the Stones that run through all our lives.
I was fascinated by Rockys last post on page 292, in it he went on to talk about the twins, the tribes and the Wall. It had many meanings on many levels, and the thing that occurred to me,( and has always accrued to me since i started reading iorr (TELL ME), many years before i began posting,) was that although we all love the same band, we love this band for completely different reasons.
I just assumed everyone loved Keith as the lovable death cheating hero and genius writer, and Mick as an ageless timeless Peter Pan performer and top dog Rock idol, when in fact many love and see Mick and Keith in similar and even reversed roles, it's not unheard of on iorr to talk about Keith as being the calculating misleading evil twin and Mick as somehow the hurt victim within he and Keith's relationship.
Of course some posters claim not to have any agenda when it comes to Mick vs Keith and protest to love both twins equally, although the cynic in me see's little evidence of that impartiality within the pages of iorr, it's noticeable that certain posters mask their favoritism better than others up to a point winking smiley
When it gets to the nitty gritty most posters seem to have ( or had ) a favorite glimmer twin in much the same way as you can watch a sporting event with impartiality, but by the end of the game people develop a preference towards one player or team over the other, even if its just that one player plays the game with more charm and in a fairer sporting manor . I think a lot of the arguments on iorr are understandable, in a way both twins sold out and did a money grab, to be honest i didn't even expect Keith to be around for long when i got into this band, so always had a sympathetic view of the man, lets face it if Keith lived a fraction of the life his image and myth portray he would have been gone decades ago.
Although many of us will never see eye to eye on all things here, we all share the love of this music and it's band members, we do at least have that in common.
We are close coming up to 300 pages on this new album thread, i think the fact that we are 300 pages in and have nothing from the Stones to show for it shows how devoted we are, hey i don't know about the rest of you but i think it's time we all gave ourselves a pat on the back and accepted each other with a little more empathy, after all we are all in this together.
When i think about this band still touring i get this overwhelming feeling that they feed off of us, the Stones are drawing energy, like when we go to see them live it's as though they are harvesting, we are keeping them young and alive, i don't know but this is a two way street, we as fans feed from them and they feed from us in return, so i really wouldn't worry about our fallout's on iorr, because it's all good at the end of the day. smoking smiley
Here's to another 300 pages smileys with beer

Date: February 18, 2019 20:21

In regard to praise and slagging whoever in the band, I do my best to be equal. I love them all, not sure there's any kind of favoritism, because they've been great at what they've done for quite some time, but having something to say about someone being whatever isn't any negative interpretation to being a fan, it's just like an album - not every song is great on every album.

I enjoy talking - really reading, I guess - about the Stones.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: February 18, 2019 20:36

GasLightStreet
In regard to praise and slagging whoever in the band, I do my best to be equal. I love them all, not sure there's any kind of favoritism, because they've been great at what they've done for quite some time, but having something to say about someone being whatever isn't any negative interpretation to being a fan, it's just like an album - not every song is great on every album.

I enjoy talking - really reading, I guess - about the Stones.

Sorry Gaslight i was just putting down my thoughts, it was a general observation of posters, not anyone in particular, i'm just saying it's ok to get angry and fall out and be passionate about the Stones, just as it is to be that way about all aspects of life, it's called caring, we all look down the same telescope and see completely different things, no one is right and no one is wrong, we just see different sides of the same coin.
Still think Dirty Work has some great tracks on it though winking smiley

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: February 18, 2019 20:41

GasLightStreet
jlowe

Apparently their publishing is still with EMI.

No, actually their catalogue has been with BMG since 2013.

Date: February 18, 2019 21:35

About the newest songs:

The Rolling Stones recorded this sing-along rocker (One More Shot) in Paris along with "Doom and Gloom" for their hits collection GRRR!. Keith Richards recorded the original demo of this song in New York in 2011. "I had a feeling about it," the guitarist told Q magazine. "I thought, if we get the Stones back in the studio, this is made for Mick. He and I have a very tight partnership. One that's had to survive several knocks, but that strengthens the bond, in a way."

Richards said in November 2012: "It was probably the quickest Rolling Stones recording session I can remember, ever. We cut two tracks in three days. It was incredibly professional. I had 'One More Shot' ready, Mick had 'Doom and Gloom' ready to go, so, boom, let's cut 'em."
The session also made an impression on Don Was. He praised the song in a 2012 interview: "It's got all this f---ing power. Everyone was smiling. You can recognize it's the Rolling Stones from a mile away."

Speaking with Esquire magazine, Keith Richards said this was laid down very quickly. "I don't think the Stones have ever cut a track so fast," he said. "It was like three takes and - boom! We were like looking at each other and going, 'Got anything else?' It was amazingly quick. The Stones are amazing that way, their chemistry and their energy when they get together. The hard bit with the Stones is getting them together."

[www.songfacts.com]

[www.songfacts.com]

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: February 18, 2019 21:37

Date: February 18, 2019 21:37

Date: February 18, 2019 21:38

nearly 300 pages of nothing but nothing?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-18 21:38 by slewan.

Posted by: 5strings ()
Date: February 18, 2019 21:47

slewan

Nothing from Nothing.hot smiley

Date: February 18, 2019 22:22

Status about the New Album:
(Currently In Los Angeles, California) 2019.

- January 19, 2019: Ronnie appears on UK TV with Jimmy White and Ronnie O'Sullivan to discuss the snooker masters semi-final in London, England. During the Interview, Ronnie commented that the Stones will be recording In the next week In Los Angeles, California.

- January 30, 2019: Mick Jagger posts a video online of himself recording.

- February 3, 2019: Ronnie Wood arrives in Los Angeles.

- February 4, 2019: The Rolling Stones start recording sessions in Los Angeles.

- February 5, 2019: Charlie Watts attends drummer Hal Blaine's 90th birthday party in Los Angeles.

- February 9, 2019: Keith Richards goes to actress Jennifer Aniston's birthday party at the Sunset Tower Hotel in Los Angeles.

- February 10, 2019: Mick Jagger attends Universal Music's Grammy Awards after-party in Los Angeles.

- Newest Update - February 16, 2019:
Stones Recording In Los Angeles, California.

;-)

Special thanks to:

[www.timeisonourside.com]

[www.timeisonourside.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-18 22:47 by DiegoGlimmerStones.

Date: February 18, 2019 22:26

I doubt if the Stones are still in LA.(feb 18)
jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-18 22:26 by runrudolph.

Date: February 18, 2019 22:39

runrudolph
jeroen
Me too. However, this Is what do we know so far. I'm looking forward to hear more news and I'm glad about all of us reading all the Info because I think that finally the new album Is coming my friends! smileys with beer ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-18 22:47 by DiegoGlimmerStones.

Date: February 18, 2019 22:49

DiegoGlimmerStones
runrudolph
jeroen
Me too. However, this Is what do we know so far. I'm looking forward to hear more news and I'm glad about all of us reading all the Info because I think that finally the new album Is coming my friends! smileys with beer ;-)

Yes, would be great if we get some new stuff. Better be good stuff hot smileysmoking smiley
Jeroen

Posted by: snarf2014 ()
Date: February 18, 2019 22:51

They are in LA
[mol.im]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 18, 2019 22:52

DiegoGlimmerStones
runrudolph
jeroen

At least Ronnie was seen with Sally last night in LA.

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Date: February 18, 2019 22:54

Thanks Cristiano !!
Jeroen

Date: February 18, 2019 22:56

snarf2014
They are in LA
[mol.im]

and..thanks snarf
jeroen

Date: February 18, 2019 22:59

Cristiano Radtke
DiegoGlimmerStones
runrudolph
jeroen

At least Ronnie was seen with Sally last night in LA.

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Excellent! Thank you for sharing my friends Christiano and Snarf2014!

Date: February 18, 2019 23:04

I love the fact that The Stones are In L.A! I really think that finally the new album Is coming my friends! smileys with beer ;-)

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...294295296297298299300301302303304...LastNext
Current Page: 299 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2043
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home