Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...296297298299300301302303304305306...LastNext
Current Page: 301 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: February 19, 2019 18:06

Hairball
It’s such a joy to play with this band there’s no stopping us, we’re only just getting started really.” - Keith Richards

Hopefully he's not referring to the new album!!!!eye popping smileygrinning smiley

One assumes Keith doesnt write any of these tweets..its down to one of his minions to do a bit of PR every so often surely?

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: February 19, 2019 18:08

The tweet was not from Keith's account, and the comment is not new.

[twitter.com]

Date: February 19, 2019 18:11

GasLightStreet
jlowe
GasLightStreet
jlowe
Doxa's comments re ABKCO rights are interesting though all parties will be aware that the clock is ticking re expiry and then public domain. (2033/40).
Also, hadnt appreciated this, but by re-signing with UMG the group have now been with them for a longer period than any other label.
They have some way to go to beat the music publishing deal they had with EMI however..that one lasted about 40 years.

Apparently their publishing is still with EMI.

No, actually their catalogue has been with BMG since 2013.

I was going by the NYTimes article, which didn't include this:

Additionally, it (BMG) will be responsible for handling Jagger and Richards' shares of their pre-1983 copyrights, which are represented by ABKCO (1963-1971) and EMI Music Publishing (1971-1983).

[www.hollywoodreporter.com]

So... their other most important work is still with EMI.

Aah....quite right. It's a bit confusing though. ABKCO clearly own 100% of the pre 1971 material and I can only assume that from 1983 Mick and Keith, via Promopub became the Copyright holders but let EMI manage and administer the publishing.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 19, 2019 18:11

Seems to be a lot of "fake news" going around here...

Date: February 19, 2019 18:41

Stoneage
Seems to be a lot of "fake news" going around here...

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: February 19, 2019 18:50

GasLightStreet
IanBillen
Great that they are recording. Things must be going well .. they have been there for a couple weeks now.

The Stones paying back an advance to Universal (UMG) - ?? ... I really .. really doubt that people. The Stones were paid a sum of money for the licensing / catalog and a separate amount for the new album / albums. That was what they are paid for Universal having the rights to sell it under their label .. The Stones are gonna have to pay that back, yo. The Stones and their lawyers would say ..look folks .. this band isn't the band that sold 20,000 records .. it's the band that sold 200 MILLION .. you know.. of the greatest selling artists of all time no less. Ya kina / sorta gotta pay them something for the rights to sell their stuff and for F**S sake .. man .. it's not a loan or something they have to pay back ... Geeeesh.

Hold on.... as I explained earlier, the usual deal is that it's a loan. Since that is not the case, which was explained a page ago - it's no big deal. It doesn't change the hue of a sunset. It's just chatter. Something to talk about.

Relax, dude!!!

I am relaxed .. It would be a slap in the face if the label introduced the concept that The Stones had to pay for recording costs .. (The Stones would probably walk on that deal based on that alone). This isn't a new band who's wet behind the ears and who has never sold their music under a major label ya know .. (jus sayin). See 200 million physical albums and millions of downloads ..
That would be like going to buy a brand new 50,000 Cadillac and the dealer in the office telling ya gotta send your wife instead of any of their lot attendants to go retrieve the car and pull it up to the curb so you folks can drive away in it ..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-19 18:59 by IanBillen.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: February 19, 2019 22:29

Doxa
24FPS

Charlie and Shirley have a hard core, costly addiction, horses.

Of any Stones wives, Shirley's simply the best. Probably without her, Charlie would have retired eons ago. Mick and Keith might have something to do with it, but it is Shirley who gets Charlie out of the house to work...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Having been married for more years than I can count, I know what you mean.

By the way, there was an announcement that Mick is getting married? I don't think so.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: February 19, 2019 23:37

wish they were paying for studio time. we'd be talking about which one
of the last four since ABB was better. That lad wouldh have BOTH eyes on the clock.
'ok, great one; fick-it inaa mix
next one , two three four..."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-19 23:41 by hopkins.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: February 20, 2019 01:00

CJFP
Ya know, I an opinion on what the problem is. Don Was. He isn't a producer, he's a yes man. A yes man is useless if they're trying to make a genuinely good album.

You do have a point here, but I tend to think that a non-yes man would be shown the door rather sooner than later.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: February 20, 2019 01:11

After july 1er, we should expect even more rolling stones' music appearing as a soundtrack in commercials. I am sure that german Cie BMG means business!

What songs do you think, post 1983 would make a good commercial track? I think Love is strong could work fine.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-20 01:36 by rollmops.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 20, 2019 01:50

GasLightStreet
LeonidP
GasLightStreet
matxil
I don't know but it seems to me that the battles between GasLightStreet and HMS (where is that guy?) were a lot funnier. But keep on trying guys.

HarlemShuffle is a trolling dolt and people keep responding to the idiocy. There are proper ways to respond to such infantile troglodyteism.

?? And that differs in what way to your constant responses to the trolling dolt, HMS?

Because of how insipidly hilarious he was about praising one of the worst pieces of recorded music in history.

You're right though - he should've been ignored as well. However, he wasn't rude like Harlem Shuffle is.

Yeah, I was guilty of it too for some time, until it became obvious that he was just out for attention, then I refused to take the bait -- but yes, it was funny in a way, I am convinced that he thought if he praised it enough, that he could get others to agree that perhaps it wasn't the biggest piece of shite ever released (which it is).

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: February 20, 2019 02:24

Rokyfan
Doxa
24FPS

Charlie and Shirley have a hard core, costly addiction, horses.

Of any Stones wives, Shirley's simply the best. Probably without her, Charlie would have retired eons ago. Mick and Keith might have something to do with it, but it is Shirley who gets Charlie out of the house to work...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Having been married for more years than I can count, I know what you mean.

By the way, there was an announcement that Mick is getting married? I don't think so.

No, there was no announcement. I’m sure enough paperwork and commitments have already been made to be the same thing, tho. All that legal binding contractual stuff. It’s so romantic.

((Sorry off topic))
And btw, you mean Shirley gets him out to work more because she spends more? How does that happen, clue me in. I think Charlie goes out because
HE’S THE DRUMMER OF THE ROLLING STONES

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-20 02:27 by 35love.

Date: February 20, 2019 02:43

It was just a joke, about Shirley being Charlie's motivation to get out and tour . . . like he has been married forever so that's his motivation to get out of the house . . . like "take my wife, please" back from the days when there was a thing called comedy. A joke.

Here's another: I don't think Mick is actually making contractual arrangements with Melanie, I think he just made some comments about how he is going to be working on the new relationship and people took it too seriously.

Date: February 20, 2019 02:46

Well, they way I get it it's rather (or mainly) Shirley who runs the horse business. I might imagine that she doesn't mind if Charlie is out for a while and doesn't interfere ... winking smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 20, 2019 02:58

Doubting that Mick would get married again at 75 yrs Old, but if so big congrats to him.
We're probably more likely to see a new Stones album before that ever happens, but then again we might see hell freezing over and pigs flying also before a new album.

Date: February 20, 2019 03:11

If he really does get married, most interesting thing to know would be the paperwork trying to prevent him from getting burnt...

But anyways, where does this rumour come from, actually? Maybe I missed something?

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: February 20, 2019 03:32

Rokyfan
It was just a joke, about Shirley being Charlie's motivation to get out and tour . . . like he has been married forever so that's his motivation to get out of the house . . . like "take my wife, please" back from the days when there was a thing called comedy. A joke.

Here's another: I don't think Mick is actually making contractual arrangements with Melanie, I think he just made some comments about how he is going to be working on the new relationship and people took it too seriously.

I was joking too, as in, please give me the magic formula I spend more, and hubby keeps $$. I’d look a lot better, and on a fine horse too, why not, if that were true.
Obviously we have no new music to pummel so I thought I’d smash around on relations.
And, I think when you’re a high roller, paperwork gets issued.

P.S.
I would like to hear the song
‘Really want to tell the truth’ or
‘Really want to talk to you’
In full please
Thank you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-20 03:44 by 35love.

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: February 20, 2019 04:43

Hairball
Doubting that Mick would get married again at 75 yrs Old, but if so big congrats to him.
We're probably more likely to see a new Stones album before that ever happens, but then again we might see hell freezing over and pigs flying also before a new album.
smileys with beer

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: February 20, 2019 06:19

New album cover leaked..

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: February 20, 2019 06:27

MisterDDDD
New album cover leaked..

I love it! Better than A Bigger Bang!

Date: February 20, 2019 06:37

Looks like Ronnie got to do the cover design after all...

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: February 20, 2019 06:48

Almost wrote the Ronnie joke in the text cool smiley.. easy, but quick though!!

Date: February 20, 2019 06:51

Maybe it will be a quadrilateral work: songs distributed evenly between Mick and Keith, and the cover between Ronnie and Charlie ...

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: February 20, 2019 10:44

LeonidP
GasLightStreet
LeonidP
GasLightStreet
matxil
I don't know but it seems to me that the battles between GasLightStreet and HMS (where is that guy?) were a lot funnier. But keep on trying guys.

HarlemShuffle is a trolling dolt and people keep responding to the idiocy. There are proper ways to respond to such infantile troglodyteism.

?? And that differs in what way to your constant responses to the trolling dolt, HMS?

Because of how insipidly hilarious he was about praising one of the worst pieces of recorded music in history.

You're right though - he should've been ignored as well. However, he wasn't rude like Harlem Shuffle is.

Yeah, I was guilty of it too for some time, until it became obvious that he was just out for attention, then I refused to take the bait -- but yes, it was funny in a way, I am convinced that he thought if he praised it enough, that he could get others to agree that perhaps it wasn't the biggest piece of shite ever released (which it is).

Well, I wouldn't call HMS a troll, for the same reason GasLightStreet already mentioned: he was never rude, even though pretty much the entire forum did not agree with him.
And I miss the guy. It's good to have someone around to defend unpopular ideas. DW is not a very good album, but it doesn't do harm to hear someone say differently, see it from another side. Maybe some of the songs *could* have worked, maybe there are parts of it which are not so bad, or maybe not, but it's always worth seeing it from a different perspective. Same goes for TSMR or Gomper or whatever. He was a bit repetitive sometimes, but aren't we all? This entire thread is going through the same pointless loop for 301 pages already.
HMS sure was a lot more interesting than "you said Mick is stupid", "Yes but you said Keith is stupid" "But you said Mick is stupider" "It's all Ronnie's fault!"

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: February 20, 2019 11:19

doitywoik
CJFP
Ya know, I an opinion on what the problem is. Don Was. He isn't a producer, he's a yes man. A yes man is useless if they're trying to make a genuinely good album.

You do have a point here, but I tend to think that a non-yes man would be shown the door rather sooner than later.

...and Mick with Rick Rubin is the perfect example!

Date: February 20, 2019 13:01

doitywoik
GasLightStreet
technically they've released 2 albums..., the silly simian one and the blues album, so this new one, if it ever happens, will be the third.

There was also Hyde Park Live, which makes it three.

I'm not sure when these three album deals started, feels like a long while back, but I always had the impression they turned out as one live, one best of, one studio (in whatever order).

In case they were in need of a contract filler, they could put out another album of rarities/alternative versions (and possibly one or two unissued studio tracks) anytime. Yet another Greatest Hits seems a bit out of place to me, and the Best Of The 2010s would be a rather slim affair. (Thank god they spared us a live album from 2017s No Filter).

One might assume that touring is more interesting to Charlie and Ronnie than to Mick and Keith because they don’t earn from song writing royalties, maybe especially Ronnie needs the extra buck because of his more-or-less recent divorce. It doesn’t seem to me that Charlie depends much on income from touring, though, he seems to be financially stable and doing fine also without touring. But what do I know.

Not sure how Solo albums/singles fit into their recording contracts, but over the years they have all individually released new material.
Keith's CH album had very respectable sales.
SuperHeavy not so...aah may not have been a UMG release now I think about it (seems strange?).
Ronnie's last release was via Eagle Rock/UMG
Charlie seems to freelance!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 20, 2019 13:17

Rokyfan

A joke indeed, but I recall Charlie himself saying something to the effect that when he is at home he doesn't really do anything - sitting in a vintage car probably doesn't count - and when it starts to get too long, his wife starts to get frustrated, 'don't you have anything to do'...

Couldn't find that one - it was footage - but here is another one by Charlie (2003; credits go to timeisonourside.com):

I am what you would call a loner; I can get along just fine without people around me. We live on a farm, you know. Even worse, we have two - one in England and one in France. My wife runs the farms and I live there, so to speak. The only people about the house are men and women who are in agriculture...

Occasionally we go out and dine with friends, but not too often. I'm not like Ronnie Wood who needs to have people around him all day. If I'm honest, I enjoy the conmpany of dogs more than that of humans. Not that I loathe my species, but I'm of no good to them. They would find me a miserable little man after a while. Keith doesn't go out at all either. He lives with his wife in Connecticut and his life isn't all that different from mine. Mick is the only one who, through the years, has succeeded in dragging me out of the house, time and again... (I)f it was up to Keith and me, we would never set foot outside our homes, so to speak.

"My wife runs the farms and I live there, so to speak."....grinning smiley

So when Mick calls up, I can easily imagine Shirley responding.. 'yes, Charlie will come'... >grinning smiley<

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-20 13:29 by Doxa.

Date: February 20, 2019 14:06

"I enjoy the conmpany of dogs more than that of humans"

One more thing I like about Charlie

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: February 20, 2019 17:47

matxil
LeonidP
GasLightStreet
LeonidP
GasLightStreet
matxil

Well, I wouldn't call HMS a troll, for the same reason Gasstreetlight already mentioned: he was never rude, even though pretty much the entire forum did not agree with him.
And I miss the guy. It's good to have someone around to defend unpopular ideas. DW is not a very good album, but it doesn't do harm to hear someone say differently, see it from another side. Maybe some of the songs *could* have worked, maybe there are parts of it which are not so bad, or maybe not, but it's always worth seeing it from a different perspective. Same goes for TSMR or Gomper or whatever. He was a bit repetitive sometimes, but aren't we all? This entire thread is going through the same pointless loop for 301 pages already.
HMS sure was a lot more interesting than "you said Mick is stupid", "Yes but you said Keith is stupid" "But you said Mick is stupider" "It's all Ronnie's fault!"

I liked Dirty Work, this is the Hive mind mentality that goes on in social media, not so much on iorr but definitely on Twitter and Facebook etc. Posters are intimidated into backing down over their opinions because they don't want to be bullied, a bit of that goes on here, ( not naming names ) definitely i have experienced it over the years, but i don't let it bother me now.
What's not to like about One Hit ( to the body ) Sleep Tonight, Too Rude, Harlem Shuffle, Winning Ugly and Dirty Work, they are very good tracks that stand up to the competition at the time they were released, OK some of them haven't worn well but i was very excited when i first played that album, Sleep Tonight is one of the finest songs Keith has ever sang.
I would not go so far as to say there are any Trolls on iorr, one or two people gang up though and that's even worse in my book.
HMS was lovely, a real character, he and Gaslights exchanges were charming and no harm was ever intended, so i hope HMS comes back some day.
Having said that i understand why people leave this site, we have 5 or 6 people that dominate the conversations, funny enough they are not the true insiders like Gazza, Teddy, Ian, George etc, these guys have excellent information and are real gent's, they don't bully or manipulate the conversations, they just try to inform us as best they can. So when we get someone like Harlemshuffle starts giving them a hard time i hope it doesn't put them off contributing.
This place is at an all time low, i certainly will not be bullied but it's tough here and there is lots going on that's not on the surface, certainly the Hive mind is in play here.

Date: February 20, 2019 18:05

Looks like this thread has taken another strange detour by dissecting the intricacies of social media and IORR.
That's what happens I guess with no new original album in 14 years and counting - the natives start growing restless.
Perhaps we all need a WALL to stop us in our tracks and bang our head against for a bit of self reflection and introspection.

Lol...............spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...296297298299300301302303304305306...LastNext
Current Page: 301 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1376
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home