Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...156157158159160161162163164165166...LastNext
Current Page: 161 of 704
Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 9, 2018 20:00

Actually David Gilmour's solo (studio and live) albums have been pretty strong sellers. Last couple..number ones.
According to Mr Wiki, that is.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: April 9, 2018 20:03

You can probably get a number one in USA with sales under50,000 units for most of the year with the exception of Xmas shopping season

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: April 9, 2018 20:03

Roger Waters??? I take Gilmours work a thousand times over Rogets boring and repetitive output. IMHO just for snobs

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: April 9, 2018 20:07

Hehe! grinning smiley In my book, when comparing Dave's and Roger's latest efforts, Dave wins by a very long stretch!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 9, 2018 20:27

Considering Roger Waters wrote nearly 90% of the classic Floyd albums Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, Animals, and the Wall pretty much on his own, I tend to lean towards his solo material.
But of course there are those who prefer the "clever forgery" of David Gilmour's output where he barely has a hand in writing his own material - after all, he does have a great voice and he plays a mean guitar. winking smiley

Date: April 9, 2018 22:50

It is pretty obvious that Gilmour's part was rather on the musical side of things. Of course it is correct that Waters wrote all the lyrics of DSOTM, but I prefer not to imagine what DSOTM would have sounded like if they would have been the lyrics to a Waters solo album.

Musically I clearly prefer Dave's solo work but IMHO both of them were more interesting in a (somewhat balanced) Floyd context. As for the post-Waters Floyd, I clearly prefer both albums to anything Waters released solo, but still I think both albums lack the Waters component.

If memory serves, after the Live 8 reunion in 2005 Waters was quite positive in interviews of getting together again with Gilmour to work on a Floyd project but Gilmour had no inclination to go through that again. A pity insofar as it would have been interesting to see what they had come up with (although I'm sceptical they could have come up with something in the range of Wish You Were Here).

Whatever went (or goes) on between Mick and Keith, it doesn't seem to (have) be(en) as bad as what had gone on between Gilmour and Waters (and Wright, for that matter). At least, they can still share a stage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-09 22:52 by doitywoik.

Date: April 10, 2018 00:10

It should be noted that Waters also had a big part in writing the music as well as most, if not all, of the lyrics to those classic four albums. He's quite handy at writing things on piano and guitar, as well as bass. He wrote Money in it's entirety as just one example, and he and Rick Wright co-wrote Us and Them - Gilmour had nothing to do with it other than the vocals and the electric guitar just as he did with Money. The Wall is 99.999% musically and 100% lyrically written by Roger Waters - Gilmour only contributed part of Comfortably Numb and maybe Run Like Hell - that's it. But anyhow, all one has to do is look at the promo posters for their solo tours - Roger Waters has "the creative genius behind Pink Floyd" next to his name while David Gilmour has "the guitar and vocals of Pink Floyd".

As for the friction between Gilmour and Waters, they've somewhat mended ways in the last few years. They performed together as a duo in a small setting at the request of Gilmour for some benefit, but in exchange Roger made him promise to appear at one of his Wall shows. And Gilmour did - at one of Rogers Wall shows in London. Gilmour appeared on top of the Wall to play his epic solo and sing his vocal part on Comfortably Numb just as he did at the original Wall shows back in 1980. He also appeared at the very end for Outside the Wall playing a banjo I believe, while Mick Mason also appeared playing a tambourine.

And not to totally dismiss Gilmour solo, I really liked the On an Island album even though he had alot of help from outsiders musically as well as his wife lyrically in writing it, and the tour was really good which included Rick Wright for the whole tour, and even Nick Mason on drums at a show or two. His last album Rattle That Lock was only so-so, but the shows were pretty good - he's a great vocalist, and an amazing guitar player - one of my all time favorites. thumbs up

But what does all this have to do with a new Stones album? Not sure...winking smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-10 00:13 by Hairball.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: April 10, 2018 02:37

NEWS“It Was A Great Week”: Keith Richards Discusses New Work With Mick Jagger
April 8 2018

[www.udiscovermusic.com]

Date: April 10, 2018 02:52

OK, so according to them, the latest Ask Keith video refers to the/a NY session with Mick in February. Informed statement or the same guesswork as ours?

In case of doubt I'd stick to Fox Mulder('s poster), "I want to believe!" winking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-10 02:53 by doitywoik.

Date: April 10, 2018 04:20

Interesting how Keith's statement: "10, 12 different things that didn’t exist until that moment"
has evolved in to "a productive meeting in which a wide range of new ideas came into being" according to the writer.

"Published on April 8, 2018
By Paul Sexton"

IanBillen...is that you?!!!cool smiley

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: April 10, 2018 06:04

Hairball
Interesting how Keith's statement: "10, 12 different things that didn’t exist until that moment"
has evolved in to "a productive meeting in which a wide range of new ideas came into being" according to the writer.

"Published on April 8, 2018
By Paul Sexton"

IanBillen...is that you?!!!cool smiley

Ha. No .. but he did say in the vid they had a great week. They worked on 10-12 different 'things' and he spoke about the creative spark when they get together.

The are actually working on an album .. Sure.. not nearly as much as we want .. but they have written together on three separate occasions that we know of.

The band has been in session at least three or four times. Lets not down play it. An album is def in progress .. Just very SLOW and fairly far between recording segments! Yowl .. hehe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-10 06:05 by IanBillen.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 10, 2018 12:17

keithsman
The making of this album has spanned many years now, surely its there or its not.

Either they basically have the songs and they will get round to finishing them when they are good and ready, or they just can't get it together for some reason hence the delay.

Its probably a matter of the material is there and they are not ready to put the final product out yet.

If we don't see this album by Christmas its possible we might never see it, these guys aren't getting any younger.
I've kind of hedged my bets there winking smiley

Well, lets face they have had plenty of time to complete the album in the period since the last tour finished till now.
I don't really buy into all this 'family priority time' stuff either. Keith in interviews says he sees more of his wife when he's on tour...so that says a lot. Mick has always been a globe trotter.
Working in a London studio would be no big deal for Charlie or Ronnie who both have homes in the city. Arguably, touring is more disruptive to their home lives.

Date: April 10, 2018 15:20

bye bye johnny
IanBillen
In seven weeks ...SOMEONE would of taken an image of Keith and Mick in the same room ...even sitting on couches or chit-chatting in some studio (they are not allowed).

The someone that would have is Jane Rose, who is doubtless respecting Stones omerta.

Wait a minute - is there really some clause somewhere, that forbids pics of Jagger and Keith shown in studio together?
I remember when the thing started with Mick leaving the stage for Keith's little set; which is bad enough.

Date: April 10, 2018 15:44

Palace Revolution 2000
I remember when the thing started with Mick leaving the stage for Keith's little set; which is bad enough.

Wasn't that rather for pragmatic reasons? Like, cooling down a bit, drying up the sweat, changing clothes, giving the voice a break, perhaps taking a leak or having a dose of oxygen, etc.?

Date: April 10, 2018 15:56

doitywoik
Palace Revolution 2000

Wasn't that rather for pragmatic reasons? Like, cooling down a bit, drying up the sweat, changing clothes, giving the voice a break, perhaps taking a leak or having a dose of oxygen, etc.?

Which would make total sense. It was on that tour that the show became longer, many were outside, daytime in the heat. And in 89 I think he also had to take an elevator haha! But I also recall that I read it was stipulated somewhere that he had to be off stage when Keith sang. I honestly never knew if it came from Keith's side, that he wanted Jagger off, or from Jagger's side. Or if it is all bullsh*t.

Date: April 10, 2018 18:28

jlowe
keithsman
The making of this album has spanned many years now, surely its there or its not.

Either they basically have the songs and they will get round to finishing them when they are good and ready, or they just can't get it together for some reason hence the delay.

Its probably a matter of the material is there and they are not ready to put the final product out yet.

If we don't see this album by Christmas its possible we might never see it, these guys aren't getting any younger.
I've kind of hedged my bets there winking smiley

Well, lets face they have had plenty of time to complete the album in the period since the last tour finished till now.
I don't really buy into all this 'family priority time' stuff either. Keith in interviews says he sees more of his wife when he's on tour...so that says a lot. Mick has always been a globe trotter.
Working in a London studio would be no big deal for Charlie or Ronnie who both have homes in the city. Arguably, touring is more disruptive to their home lives.

>>THAAAAAAANK YOU<<< finally someone had the Stones ('no pun' hehe) to come out and say it.

They have pleeeeeeeenty of family time folks. As said here .. Charlie and Ronnie both live in London .. As well Touring would take more ...depending / arguably.

You have people who want us to feel sorry for those 'poor old Rolling Stones' ... uh... who are forced by us, their fans to go on tour ...forced to go all over the world on vacations ... and forced to take on all kinds of projects ...and continue as a band.

Working a whole three months out of the year to earn some more millions. Those poor guys .. We all know they never have the time or means to see their families. They have to keep working to support their families ...

Oh and btw .. >> Their families dont have to work either. You aren't going to see Jade Jagger applying at Home Depot any time soon.

Point is this.. they have 10 times the means and time to see their families than probably most of us. I'm not going to have any empathy for something thats a ruse.

They have pleeeenty of family time. THEY are the ones who choose to continue as a band .. and I am thankful for that. Nobody holds a gun to The Rolling Stones heads to do this.

*The Rolling Stones are <NOT> touring and continuing as a band because of their fans. They do it bc they 'want' to, the money (several more million to add to their riches) ...and then maybe you could count the / us fans in.

If they consider themselves a fully functional act .. I want a bloody album already. I dont need one every year ..but it has been 13 lol. Thats not only understandable .. some may consider that 'expected' ! winking smiley

This whole 'please understand .. they want their family time .. maybe that is why there has been no album. Understand their position .. they wouldnt have any family time if they chose to record an album' .. is actually laughable and a naive thought.

- Out.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-10 21:33 by IanBillen.

Date: April 11, 2018 01:58

IanBillen

This whole 'please understand .. they want their family time .. maybe that is why there has been no album. Understand their position .. they wouldnt have any family time if they chose to record an album' .. is actually laughable and a naive thought.

There's people who actually said all of that in this thread?
I think you're exaggerating just a bit Ian!

Date: April 11, 2018 04:37

Hairball
IanBillen

There's people who actually said all of that in this thread?
I think you're exaggerating just a bit Ian!

Yes .. People basically did. I saw .. 'Family time is much more important at their age. We need to respect that blah blah blah'. ... I saw ' Wait until your Old .. I hope you aren't alone' ... Lol and it was a serious statement smh....? (I mean I hope so too ...but believe me if there anyone who is alone or just clinging to the few folks they have left in their life .. It's NONE OF THE ROLLING STONES! ...? )

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: April 11, 2018 05:40

Meanwhile, we can all hear the 2002 sessions outtakes just leaked, we've just got the lost studio album from 2002, but on 2018.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 11, 2018 05:41

georgelicks
Meanwhile, we can all hear the 2002 sessions outtakes just leaked, we've just got the lost studio album from 2002, but on 2018.

Leaked?? where???? please.....?!?!?!?!

Rod

Posted by: nick ()
Date: April 11, 2018 05:49

I agree with Ian, the one I love is "we should be grateful for what we have gotten and if there is no more then we should respect that".

No no no no no, get going on that on that new studio album. While you're at it, get into your archives and get out those Voodoo sessions, get those Licks sessions out and get us that Tattoo Too album that's been long overdue.

No bootlegs, no leaked stuff. Do the "dirty work" then if you want to pack it in after that, I'll respect that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-11 05:50 by nick.

Date: April 11, 2018 07:10

bitusa2012
georgelicks

Yes.. where ....?? We have been hearing about those for a long time .. Don't tell me something is out there all the sudden from em??

If so ... 'Where................??'.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 11, 2018 08:11

IanBillen
bitusa2012
georgelicks

[iorr.org]

Yes.. where ....?? We have been hearing about those for a long time .. Don't tell me something is out there all the sudden from em??

If so ... 'Where................??'.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 11, 2018 08:21

They have pleeeeeeeenty of family time folks.....
.................................................. ................. IanBillen

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 12, 2018 00:17

georgelicks

The "new" tracks are absolutely great! hot smiley

Date: April 12, 2018 00:26

Cristiano Radtke
georgelicks

They're excellent thumbs up

Posted by: GAFF ()
Date: April 12, 2018 00:40

Palace Revolution 2000
doitywoik
Palace Revolution 2000

Which would make total sense. It was on that tour that the show became longer, many were outside, daytime in the heat. And in 89 I think he also had to take an elevator haha! But I also recall that I read it was stipulated somewhere that he had to be off stage when Keith sang. I honestly never knew if it came from Keith's side, that he wanted Jagger off, or from Jagger's side. Or if it is all bullsh*t.

Supposedly there was a clause written into the 1981 tour contract that stated Mick needed to vacate the stage during Keith's set.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: April 12, 2018 00:52

doitywoik
Palace Revolution 2000

Funny you say that, i was having a beer after the second Paris gig last year with these two guys, they told me that they could see Ronnie taking oxygen just behind Charlies drums on two occasions during the show.

I thought they were having me on at the time but come to think of it.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 12, 2018 02:32

GAFF
Supposedly there was a clause written into the 1981 tour contract that stated Mick needed to vacate the stage during Keith's set.

I think we've all heard that. On the pro side, 1981 is the beginning of Keith being critical of Mick on stage. Something I don't recall happening before apart from one complaint about kabuki makeup being a bit much during the 1970s. In 1981, we have complaints about "lemon yellow tights and U.S. football jerseys" and, most offensive of all apparently, the cherry picker crane.

Why do I question the reality of the clause now? So far as I know in my limited knowledge, the only clause would be aimed at the promoter or venue not for bandmates. Are we to think Mick signed a contract with Keith/Jane Rose agreeing not to take over "Little T & A" as he used to do with "Happy?" Doesn't seem likely, does it? I'm not saying it wasn't discussed and agreed upon that Keith would have his own space, but I can't imagine it was contractual and the tour wouldn't have happened had Mick not complied. That's really what a clause would or could mean. The band does the contract with a promoter and venue, not with one another.

If someone knows otherwise, I certainly appreciate correction.

Date: April 12, 2018 04:27

Cristiano Radtke
georgelicks

Who could have guessed...a "new" album made back in 2002 and delivered to 2018?
Seems all my "hard work" speculating in this thread has paid off in a weird way...winking smiley...I've been gifted with this...lots to absorb.
I don't even give a shit about a supposed new album any more - for now anyways - this fills the void...

THANKS to whoever made this happen, and thanks to IORR! smileys with beer

PS/EDIT - briefly listened to quick snippets...like a fly on the wall...still absorbing...some familiarity...Don't Stop still sucks...listening more closely now start to finish...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-12 04:36 by Hairball.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...156157158159160161162163164165166...LastNext
Current Page: 161 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1766
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home