Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...160161162163164165166167168169170...LastNext
Current Page: 165 of 704
Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: April 17, 2018 20:56

Doxa
I need to add that what is positive in that quote is that Keith is taking a rather relaxed attitude towards Jagger's solo excursion. In more darker times Keith could have described the whole thing with some sort of 'dogshit' remarks, (...)

I guess Keith was pretty sure that these two MJ solo songs would sink without much of a trace, and it was obvious they couldn't be Stones material to him. Fortunately he seems to have taken it in a rather relaxed way. Much of CH wasn't Stones material either, and Mick could as well have seen CH as interfering with Stones affairs.

In a way, the two songs were even quite Keith-ish, kind of, 'I've got one chord, why take the pains to find a second one?'. To me, also Mick's two songs would have profitted from some more work put into them.

The idea of Mick's single testing the waters for alternative ways of distributing new Stones-related products makes sense. BTW, how did "Super Heavy" fare commercially? I checked it out and it wasn't for me so I didn't really care a lot.

JumpingKentFlash
A bet a guy like Jack White would be VERY good for them as he’s not the kind to be either impressed by working with them, or be intimidated by it. Rick Rubin too, though that’ll never happen after the Wandering Spirit album..... but then again: Drag yourself through the gutter and let someone tell you “no”.... MULTIPLE TIMES.

The trick would be to find a way to say "no" to Mick or Keith perhaps multiple times without having them being pissed off... I know too little about Jack White but musically Rick Rubin would be a good choice ("Wandering Spirit" aside).

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 17, 2018 21:03

jlowe
Well, nobody seems able to answer the issue of Universal's control.
Yes, they are 'only' the distributors, but without their agreement, no release.

Actually Universal jerks should be happy with signing their catalog artists. If I have understood the 'deal' was that of producing one new studio album. BLUE & LONESOME was a sort of extra bonus deriving from the session for this new album. But it sold so well that whatever expectations in sales they had had for the new studio album were most likely surpassed by now (and for Universal it doesn't matter if the album consists of covers or originals). And the real deal - the new studio album of originals - hasn't even released yet. If the new studio album turns up selling something similar to the blues album, the Universal jerks can give high fives to each other... instead of one hit album, they got two...

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-17 21:05 by Doxa.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: April 18, 2018 05:23

I have worked on and off for a long time with a couple of giant television writer/producers, who often worked together. Some years back, one wrote a screenplay and gave it to the other to read. The nervous report came back “this would make a great book,” aka not a good movie. They didn’t think it was going to be a good book either. The one who wrote it turned it into a book, and dedicate it to the one who read it, saying they insisted he put it out as a book. This reminds me of the Gotta Get A Grip/England Lost Story.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-18 10:18 by TeddyB1018.

Date: April 18, 2018 06:34

grinning smiley

"Mick, these new songs of yours would do nicely in a poetry volume!"

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 18, 2018 07:58

TeddyB1018
I have worked on and off for a long time with a couple of giant television writer/producers, who often worked together. Some years back, one wrote a screenplay and gave it to the other to read. The nervous report came back “this would make a great book,” aka not a good movie. The one who wrote it turned it into a book, and dedicate it to the one who read it, saying they insisted he put it out as a book. This reminds me of the Gotta Get A Grip/England Lost Story.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: August 1, 2017 21:32

I can tell from my source that both songs were from the Stones' sessions for the new album, both Ronnie and Charlie are on it but Keith refused to play, just like he did not play on Saint Of Me.
Both songs were re-worked as Mick Jagger solo songs, Universal wanted something out to test the market and keep the hype about the new album and Mick was happy to put something out.

There are more songs like these from the 15 or so new songs recorded so far, but it looks like Keith wants a classic Rolling Stones sounding album, no dance or experimental stuff on it so there's the fight for the final cut of the new album.
A Bridges To Babylon situation again, but 20 years later.

Date: December 2, 2017 00:27
Mick and Keith both work separately on this new album, when they agree on certain songs the whole band is involved.
Mick works with Charlie and Matt Clifford, Keith with Steve Jordan and Don Was.
Gotta Get A Grip and England Lost were songs that Keith rejected
and Mick wanted to release on its own.
I've been told that Mick has already written enough songs to fill 3 or 4 new albums.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-18 07:59 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 18, 2018 08:16

KRiffhard
TeddyB1018
I have worked on and off for a long time with a couple of giant television writer/producers, who often worked together. Some years back, one wrote a screenplay and gave it to the other to read. The nervous report came back “this would make a great book,” aka not a good movie. The one who wrote it turned it into a book, and dedicate it to the one who read it, saying they insisted he put it out as a book. This reminds me of the Gotta Get A Grip/England Lost Story.

I can tell from my source that both songs were from the Stones' sessions for the new album, both Ronnie and Charlie are on it but Keith refused to play, just like he did not play on Saint Of Me.
Both songs were re-worked as Mick Jagger solo songs, Universal wanted something out to test the market and keep the hype about the new album and Mick was happy to put something out.

There are more songs like these from the 15 or so new songs recorded so far, but it looks like Keith wants a classic Rolling Stones sounding album, no dance or experimental stuff on it so there's the fight for the final cut of the new album.

Mick and Keith both work separately on this new album, when they agree on certain songs the whole band is involved.
I've been told that Mick has already written enough songs to fill 3 or 4 new albums.

A reality check and grim reminder about how complicated and difficult this supposed new album has become.

"I've been told that Mick has already written enough songs to fill 3 or 4 new albums".

I can hear Keith now after hearing snippets of all of them: "Nope, nope, nope, nope,nope, nope, nope,nope, nope, nope,nope, nope, nope,nope, nope, nope,nope, nope, nope,nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope,nope, nope, nope,nope, nope, nope,nope, nope, nope,nope, nope, nope,nope, nope, nope,nope, nope, nope, and, nope, nope, nope,nope, nope, nope,nope, nope, nope,nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope,nope, nope, and...nope"

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: April 18, 2018 08:38

I can tell from my source Universal wanted something out to test the market

it's very sad if, at 75, being the rolling stones, you are not or feel not free from whatever a record company thinks of your material and want to test the market response about it. slave to the market. i think they deserve and need not to be. i understand creative divergencies between mick and keith about songs but not this dependence from commercial success in 2018.

Date: April 18, 2018 08:52

Hairball
KRiffhard
TeddyB1018

A reality check and grim reminder about how complicated and difficult this supposed new album has become.

"I've been told that Mick has already written enough songs to fill 3 or 4 new albums".

I can hear Keith now after hearing snippets of all of them: "Nope, nope, nope, nope,nope, nope, nope,nope, nope, nope,nope, nope, nope,nope, nope, nope,nope, nope, nope,nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope,nope, nope, nope,nope, nope, nope,nope, nope, nope,nope, nope, nope,nope, nope, nope,nope, nope, nope, and, nope, nope, nope,nope, nope, nope,nope, nope, nope,nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope,nope, nope, and...nope"

...and "being prolific don't mean s** t"
grinning smiley

[www.femalefirst.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-18 08:54 by KRiffhard.

Date: April 18, 2018 09:01

Hairball
KRiffhard
Universal wanted something out to test the market and keep the hype about the new album and Mick was happy to put something out.

So this must rather have been testing the market w.r.t. how a "modern" (dance, etc.) Stones album would be accepted. GGAG and EL are not exactly "classic" Stones. I don't know any sales figures but GGAG doesn't appear to have been a major (or even minor) hit. So Universal would perhaps prefer a "classic" Stones album too?

Hairball
KRiffhard
There are more songs like these from the 15 or so new songs recorded so far,

So if nothing moves in the album affair, there'll be perhaps a couple more Mick singles?

Hairball
KRiffhard

Again, the salomonic solution would be two albums: a Mick Stones album and a Keith stones album, and to release them as a double CD so there's no sales competition between the two. What's so difficult in that?

Hairball
KRiffhard

... and Ronnie paints a few more setlists in the meanwhile ...

Hairball

That's only 3 albums. So you think the 4th album will pass? winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-18 09:02 by doitywoik.

Date: April 18, 2018 09:56

KRiffhard
[www.femalefirst.co.uk]

<He said: "I was writing last night at the end of the baseball match.">

It is tempting to think of 'England Lost' here, just baseball doesn't fit the picture.

<But I think it would be nice to do new songs and go in a new direction with them.">

Such statements are funny in so far as it must be clear to Mick in which directions Keith certainly won't go. If "new direction" would translate to anything but the proven formula there might even be room for a compromise because that doesn't necessarily mean "dance", "tekkno" or "drum'n'bass" only.

Artistically I could well understand Mick if he's tired of recording yet another typical Stones album but if the urge to do something new is so bad he could put out two solo albums each year. He doesn't have to care about sales figures to have some ham on the rye roll.

This whole struggle between Mick and Keith appears to be a macho thing as much as an artistic disagreement.

Date: April 18, 2018 10:07

doitywoik

Hairball

That's only 3 albums. So you think the 4th album will pass? winking smiley

That's 60+ "nopes" which is equal to at least four albums worth of songs!

But if Mick has more that were secretly stashed away, Keith will go into a balistic autopilot mode, chanting menacingly... "NOPE, NOPE, NOPE, NOPE...NOPE, NOPE, NOPE, NOPE...NOPE, NOPE, NOPE, NOPE"!

winking smiley

Date: April 18, 2018 10:35

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 18, 2018 11:23

Doxa
jlowe
Well, nobody seems able to answer the issue of Universal's control.
Yes, they are 'only' the distributors, but without their agreement, no release.

Actually Universal jerks should be happy with signing their catalog artists. If I have understood the 'deal' was that of producing one new studio album. BLUE & LONESOME was a sort of extra bonus deriving from the session for this new album. But it sold so well that whatever expectations in sales they had had for the new studio album were most likely surpassed by now (and for Universal it doesn't matter if the album consists of covers or originals). And the real deal - the new studio album of originals - hasn't even released yet. If the new studio album turns up selling something similar to the blues album, the Universal jerks can give high fives to each other... instead of one hit album, they got two...

- Doxa

Yup. I’d love to hear something new from the Stones but why not go outside the box from the start. Why do fans love PMS? Because it really sounds (almost) like the outtake it almost is. Why not just record something and release it without the big bang. And give Mick a downer or something to break the ”be-bee” curse.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: April 18, 2018 12:36

I would have loved an album with Gotta Get a Grip included - I have heard the different versions quite a lot lately. It would have widened the stones-territory a bit, just like Shattered, Fingerprint file or in quite another way by using a choir on the album-version of YCAGWYW.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: April 18, 2018 18:23

I continue to dig England Lost a lot, expecially the Skepta rmx, I dont care about digital sales or youtube visualizations, I dont think that should be the milestone on which to value the material.

The only thing that would make a difference is a more collaborative creative process between mick and keith

keith is right if (IF) he pushes for more time together in the studio
mick is right if (IF) he pushes for release new music
keith is wrong in his radical conservatorism
mick is wrong in his radical juvenilism and care about commercial response

Posted by: diverseharmonics ()
Date: April 19, 2018 03:42

I don't buy it for 2 seconds that some record label..or ANYONE..is gonna tell THE ROLLING STONES anything at all about their new tracks being inferior, second rate, or bad. M+K would laugh then spit in their faces! You really think the band needs Universal!? Label execs whispering the trax suck--hilarious!..Jagger cares about what they think? Keef?? PLease!!! what a load of bollocks.

Date: April 19, 2018 03:50

If the test scenario is true, all the Universal execs have to do is leak some of the new tracks here and many of would be happy to chime in with an opinion.
To make it easy, a simple thumbs up or a thumbs down would be enough to send the message...let it live, or kill it. smiling smiley

Date: April 19, 2018 04:50

Great idea, I like it, my thumbs are good and ready! winking smiley

Who's gonna suggest it to Universal?

Date: April 19, 2018 08:41

Hairball
If the test scenario is true, all the Universal execs have to do is leak some of the new tracks here and many of would be happy to chime in with an opinion.
To make it easy, a simple thumbs up or a thumbs down would be enough to send the message...let it live, or kill it. smiling smiley

thumbs up

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 19, 2018 17:00

Nothing new here, just a quote from Keith's interview on the latest Uncut magazine (June 2018):

Date: April 19, 2018 17:03

«Blow the cobwebs aside...» grinning smiley

Date: April 19, 2018 18:41

"And obviously we're not looking to set the world on fire with some great big new pop hit."

There go the dance tracks ...

Date: April 19, 2018 20:32

Seems Keith have have won the battle of the wits between "classic Stones" sound vs. "experimental contemporary" - at least at the time of that interview
And while I don't mind the random Stonesy style danceable tune ala Miss You or Hot Stuff, looks like we'll be gifted with soome classic Stones tunes stemming from the blues covers album.
No bells and whistles, or samples, drum machines, and rappers needed...leave that crap to Madonna (or Jagger solo).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-19 20:35 by Hairball.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: April 20, 2018 04:43

Hairball

^^^^^^ Precisely what Hairball said ...

The execs don't sit around are give a 'good .. bad .. poor'.. rating .. At least not to The Stones.

I am sure they were sent a copy of some material and either give the go-ahead or not. That sends all the message needed for folks in the circle to understand.

I'm sure they have not heard everything ... just some select stuff.

The Stones don't finish a load of demos and send them to Universal to wait for the execs OK to continue on the same track or change it. It isn't like that ..

Date: April 20, 2018 05:09

IanBillen

You think what they heard was (what the STones thought was) the best stuff, or that the STones held the best stuff back?

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 20, 2018 05:22

doitywoik
"And obviously we're not looking to set the world on fire with some great big new pop hit."

There go the dance tracks ...

Dance tracks ala Madonna......bye bye..>grinning smiley<

Date: April 20, 2018 05:25

Did Madonna ever guest at a Stones show? - The other Italian girl did, no?

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: April 20, 2018 06:10

doitywoik
IanBillen

You think what they heard was (what the STones thought was) the best stuff, or that the STones held the best stuff back?

Well ... If they heard anything .. I'm fairly sure it would be 'of the best stuff' .. and possibly anything tricky they might have their hand on just as well.

Nobody passes along music to their record company to hear samples .. that isn't the best or some songs of the premium material / top shelf stuff they got going .. Not even the Stones (anything otherwise wouldn't make any sense).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-20 06:12 by IanBillen.

Date: April 20, 2018 06:20

IanBillen
doitywoik
IanBillen

Well ... If they heard anything .. I'm fairly sure it would be 'of the best stuff' .. and possibly anything tricky they might have their hand on just as well.

Nobody passes along music to their record company to hear samples .. that isn't the best or some songs of the premium material / top shelf stuff they got going .. Not even the Stones (anything otherwise wouldn't make any sense).

Which begs the question then...
If the execs have mixed feelings about the "best stuff" (mediocre, weak, etc), wonder what they would think about the weaker stuff that the band witheld? confused smiley

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 20, 2018 07:08

IanBillen
The execs don't sit around are give a 'good .. bad .. poor'.. rating .. At least not to The Stones. I am sure they were sent a copy of some material and either give the go-ahead or not. That sends all the message needed for folks in the circle to understand. I'm sure they have not heard everything ... just some select stuff. The Stones don't finish a load of demos and send them to Universal to wait for the execs OK to continue on the same track or change it. It isn't like that ..

So you weren't, strictly speaking, being completely honest the other day when you posted that "no one knows the real story..."

There's a reason you speak for us all. You shouldn't be afraid to admit it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-20 07:09 by Rocky Dijon.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...160161162163164165166167168169170...LastNext
Current Page: 165 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1793
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home