Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 12
Re: Rolling Stones LA Rehearsals - September 2016
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 23, 2016 18:00

TheBlockbuster
Winning Ugly VXII
TheBlockbuster
Moonshine
Would love to hear them do One Hit, always loved that track

One Hit was a big mess when they tried to play it in 1989, now 27 years later everyone but Ronnie is very far away from their peak in terms of musical ability.

It will probably sound like an even bigger sloppy mess if they play it this year.

Same with many other lesser known songs in their catalogue.

Same with many other more well known songs in their catalogue.

Sympathy for the Devil , Honkey Tonk Women , Miss You , Tumbling Dice , even IORR many times since 2013.

Sadly, you are right. There are some examples of trainwreck warhorses the last few years. For instance Honky Tonk Women in Milwaukee 2015 became a disaster when Keith played the intro out of time with Chuck's cowbell. These kind of incidents will probably become more usual for every new tour.

The only way for them to prevent trainwrecks is to properly rehearse for a long time before hitting the stage. Which is what I hope they're doing right now.

Holy CRAP! That's just fantastically bad!

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: September 23, 2016 18:01

HonkeyTonkFlash
TheBlockbuster
Winning Ugly VXII
TheBlockbuster
Moonshine

One Hit was a big mess when they tried to play it in 1989, now 27 years later everyone but Ronnie is very far away from their peak in terms of musical ability.

It will probably sound like an even bigger sloppy mess if they play it this year.

Sympathy for the Devil , Honkey Tonk Women , Miss You , Tumbling Dice , even IORR many times since 2013.

Sadly, you are right. There are some examples of trainwreck warhorses the last few years. For instance Honky Tonk Women in Milwaukee 2015 became a disaster when Keith played the intro out of time with Chuck's cowbell. These kind of incidents will probably become more usual for every new tour.

The only way for them to prevent trainwrecks is to properly rehearse for a long time before hitting the stage. Which is what I hope they're doing right now.

Yeah, I love the Stones but it blows my mind that they can screw up songs they've done thousands of times since the late sixties - early seventies. But that's part of the magic of the Stones. They're really technically not brilliant players, but put them together on a good night, and when the chemistry works, it's magic.

Agreed, even fantastic shows in the past had trainwrecks, for instance they messed up both Stray Cat Blues and Brown Sugar at Cirkus in Stockholm 2003, but it didn't take away from it being a stellar show.

However, considering their current age, they need to practice and rehearse a lot to make sure the shows won't fall apart. Keith should practice guitar 1-2 hours a day or more. That's not much to ask from a band playing in front of thousands of people.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 23, 2016 18:10

GasLightStreet
TheBlockbuster
Winning Ugly VXII
TheBlockbuster
Moonshine

[www.youtube.com]
To me easy solution , give the cowbell to the drummer where it belongs period

Date: September 23, 2016 18:13

What, you don't like the plink-plink of that cowbell?

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: September 23, 2016 18:19

GasLightStreet
[www.youtube.com]

Bad? - I wouldn´t have noticed anything wrong.
It might sound a bit weird at the start but then their performance of HTW is as good as always. Maybe even a tad better than usual.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 23, 2016 18:25

GasLightStreet

[www.youtube.com]

Hey where's the guy who was disagreeing with me when I said Keith was prone to derailing the band onstage when he was in command of the music (intros solos)? grinning smiley

Date: September 23, 2016 18:25

HMS
GasLightStreet
[www.youtube.com]

Bad? - I wouldn´t have noticed anything wrong.

Somehow you continue to just... improve your stance as someone that not only can't but even refuses to notice sounds, details, good or bad notes, good or bad playing, good or bad albums.

It may be a good thing that there are people in the world that appreciate and like bad music and never hear anything wrong.

That's essentially the term for fanboy though so...

Date: September 23, 2016 18:27

dcba
GasLightStreet

[www.youtube.com]

Hey where's the guy who was disagreeing with me when I said Keith was prone to derailing the band onstage when he was in command of the music (intros solos)? grinning smiley

I think my favorite derailment is... it's a tie between that 1982 She's So Cold and the Giants Stadium VOODOO show of Street Fighting Man where Keith just, what, falls out of orbit.

Although I don't think anything will top the key slippage of SFTD in Miami from 1994.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 23, 2016 18:39

GasLightStreet
dcba
GasLightStreet

[www.youtube.com]

I think my favorite derailment is... it's a tie between that 1982 She's So Cold and the Giants Stadium VOODOO show of Street Fighting Man where Keith just, what, falls out of orbit.

Although I don't think anything will top the key slippage of SFTD in Miami from 1994.
It's not funny, but there was a video of Keith not being able to start Honkey Tonk Women properly...this was after his head accident.

Darryl was standing next to him trying to get him to remember to start the song, gesturing towards his guitar. It was sad to watch but I don't know if it's still on YouTube.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: September 23, 2016 19:49

keefriff99
GasLightStreet
dcba
GasLightStreet

[www.youtube.com]

It's not funny, but there was a video of Keith not being able to start Honkey Tonk Women properly...this was after his head accident.

Darryl was standing next to him trying to get him to remember to start the song, gesturing towards his guitar. It was sad to watch but I don't know if it's still on YouTube.

I've seen the Stones but six times and witnessed two trainwreck intros, one being the start of Let It Bleed in Philly 1981 - but not sure if it was Keith or Woody playing in the wrong key, and Giants Stadium 2005 where Keith ripped into Brown Sugar and the second chord was just glaringly wrong, think he just hit the wrong fret...

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 23, 2016 19:54

HonkeyTonkFlash
keefriff99
GasLightStreet
dcba
GasLightStreet

[www.youtube.com]

I've seen the Stones but six times and witnessed two trainwreck intros, one being the start of Let It Bleed in Philly 1981 - but not sure if it was Keith or Woody playing in the wrong key, and Giants Stadium 2005 where Keith ripped into Brown Sugar and the second chord was just glaringly wrong, think he just hit the wrong fret...
Well this one was quite different...Keith had just rushed back from his injury and was clearly out of it. He looked very feeble, and Darryl was trying to coach him, almost showing him what notes to play.

Eventually Keith took some tentative strums on the guitar and the song started. Like I said, it wasn't one of those amusing Keith f-ups, but very sad.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: September 23, 2016 20:14

keefriff99
HonkeyTonkFlash
keefriff99
GasLightStreet
dcba
GasLightStreet

[www.youtube.com]

Well this one was quite different...Keith had just rushed back from his injury and was clearly out of it. He looked very feeble, and Darryl was trying to coach him, almost showing him what notes to play.

Eventually Keith took some tentative strums on the guitar and the song started. Like I said, it wasn't one of those amusing Keith f-ups, but very sad.

Yeah, I've heard reports from around that time that made me fear that Keith was finished once and for all, things like Chuck having to play the opening riff to Satisfaction for him and I saw a video of them doing She's So Cold where Keith was visibly lost and was Ron Wood was standing right in front of him, and you could tell that Woody was having to show Keith what the chords were. So glad he recovered but he sure ain't what he used to be.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: September 23, 2016 20:50

HonkeyTonkFlash
keefriff99
HonkeyTonkFlash
keefriff99
GasLightStreet
dcba
GasLightStreet

[www.youtube.com]

Yeah, I've heard reports from around that time that made me fear that Keith was finished once and for all, things like Chuck having to play the opening riff to Satisfaction for him and I saw a video of them doing She's So Cold where Keith was visibly lost and was Ron Wood was standing right in front of him, and you could tell that Woody was having to show Keith what the chords were. So glad he recovered but he sure ain't what he used to be.

No one is what he/she used to be.
jeroen

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 23, 2016 21:04

"No one is what he/she used to be."

I still learning everyday.....................

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: September 24, 2016 02:55

Anyone wanna go in on renting the adjacent studio? We need at least 10 people to go in, it's $500 per day. For that, you can listen in and do all the set list whining you want.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: September 24, 2016 03:42

roller99
Anyone wanna go in on renting the adjacent studio? We need at least 10 people to go in, it's $500 per day. For that, you can listen in and do all the set list whining you want.

You gonna have a keg? Even without the keg, God that would be fun.
I can't make it.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 24, 2016 05:06

NICOS
"No one is what he/she used to be."

I still learning everyday.....................

Me too, NICOS....and sometimes it's better to not be what you used to be, eh? smiling smiley

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: September 24, 2016 08:47

I though the thread was about the 16 rehearsals II...

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: September 24, 2016 09:16

Me too

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: September 24, 2016 11:31

corriecas
HonkeyTonkFlash
keefriff99
HonkeyTonkFlash
keefriff99
GasLightStreet
dcba
GasLightStreet

[www.youtube.com]

No one is what he/she used to be.
jeroen

Personal favourite is the start of SMU at Hyde Park 1...should have left it in the film Sweet Summer Sun.So bad it was good

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: September 24, 2016 11:57

Any songs rehearsed yet?......confused smiley

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: September 24, 2016 12:06

waiting on some reports from Bjornulf.
jeroen

Date: September 24, 2016 12:38

corriecas
waiting on some reports from Bjornulf.
jeroen
Ahh, ok, cheers Jeroen..........smileys with beer

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 24, 2016 12:55

exhpart

Personal favourite is the start of SMU at Hyde Park 1...should have left it in the film Sweet Summer Sun.So bad it was good

And Keith can still play the SMU-Intro flawless: [www.youtube.com] -- Audience shot from Havana, 25-Mar-2016, 17min55s.

Date: September 24, 2016 14:33

Here's a decent album for those that like this sort of things - of course there are many more not on here..........

Posted by: Voodookitten76 ()
Date: September 24, 2016 14:46

EddieByword

Think this means yes! Go, Charlie, go!

@BernardFowlerSings on instagram

Date: September 24, 2016 14:57

Voodookitten76
EddieByword

Think this means yes! Go, Charlie, go!

@BernardFowlerSings on instagram

Excellent...............smileys with beer

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 24, 2016 16:47

Some recent tweets from Sasha Allen:

9/20 - Rehearsal!!!! #RollingStones

[twitter.com]

9/22 - Just a little rehearsal with the coolest on the planet! #RollingStones #LA

[twitter.com]

Date: September 24, 2016 17:11

EddieByword
Here's a decent album for those that like this sort of things - of course there are many more not on here..........

I used to have a VHS tape of Stones screwups I was able to record myself from various things, with one of the funnier ones being not a screw up but Ronnie playing a toot of harmonics during Miss You from Atlantic City 1989 with Keith and Mick in the background wondering what the F he's doing, but that is awesome. Might need to get that one!

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 26, 2016 15:58

Mick and Matt Clifford with Taylor Swift and Haim, Saturday night in LA.

[www.instagram.com]

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2102
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home