Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 11 of 12
Re: Rolling Stones LA Rehearsals - September 2016
Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: October 4, 2016 16:54

TeddyB1018

He'd left the management thing by the mid fifties (he'd also worked with Dexter Gordon and Charlie Parker in that area), and teamed up with Arne as a writer. When they split up in 1963, Arne got rich in TV and my dad began his career producing movies. He did produce both the play and film about Lenny and to this day Marvin Worth Productions controls all dramatic rights to Lenny's material on behalf of his estate (which is basically now Kitty, as her mom and Lenny's mom are both gone). Arne and my dad did reteam later on the movie See No Evil, Hear No Evil with my dad's pal Richard Pryor, and Gene Wilder, but Arne passed away before it was released. Maybe it was the manager character in the Lenny film that suggested to you that he and Lenny were still working together, but that was a composite.

I know they worked with Blatty on something in the sixties but I can't remember what it was. So many crazy projects people who later did such credible work were involved in then. Bill Friedkin doing the Sonny and Cher movie. The Judy Garland show. Of course, Rafelson and Schneider and Steve Blauner doing the Monkees. We sat with those guys when I was a kid at the famous late night Stones show at the Forum in '69.

My dad produced two movies about people who were his friends when he was young. One was Lenny and the other was Malcolm X. In both cases, he was assigned the rights by the families who trusted him.

And yes, Keith Richards really is a Lenny fanatic.

What was the consensus in the Lenny fraternity about the Bob Dylan song?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 4, 2016 17:11

TeddyB1018
Rocky Dijon
Now that's a shocker to me, Teddy. I thought your Dad was Lenny's manager to the end because he produced the play and movie of his life. I knew of him because of his association with Arne Sultan and (by extension only) William Peter Blatty. He wrote a lot of funny material and had good taste as a producer. However, since this kinda blows your cover, I'm fine with deleting this post if you want to remain anonymous.

He'd left the management thing by the mid fifties (he'd also worked with Dexter Gordon and Charlie Parker in that area), and teamed up with Arne as a writer. When they split up in 1963, Arne got rich in TV and my dad began his career producing movies. He did produce both the play and film about Lenny and to this day Marvin Worth Productions controls all dramatic rights to Lenny's material on behalf of his estate (which is basically now Kitty, as her mom and Lenny's mom are both gone). Arne and my dad did reteam later on the movie See No Evil, Hear No Evil with my dad's pal Richard Pryor, and Gene Wilder, but Arne passed away before it was released. Maybe it was the manager character in the Lenny film that suggested to you that he and Lenny were still working together, but that was a composite.

I know they worked with Blatty on something in the sixties but I can't remember what it was. So many crazy projects people who later did such credible work were involved in then. Bill Friedkin doing the Sonny and Cher movie. The Judy Garland show. Of course, Rafelson and Schneider and Steve Blauner doing the Monkees. We sat with those guys when I was a kid at the famous late night Stones show at the Forum in '69.

My dad produced two movies about people who were his friends when he was young. One was Lenny and the other was Malcolm X. In both cases, he was assigned the rights by the families who trusted him.

The project with Blatty was PROMISE HER ANYTHING with Warren Beatty and Leslie Caron. I think he and Arne were working together through the mid-sixties since they were writing GET SMART together as well as scripts like PROMISE HER ANYTHING. I had thought the latter was a rewrite job for Blatty. I didn't realize he worked directly with your Dad and Arne. That's interesting. There's a million questions I would have loved to have asked your Dad. Glad you have the great memories you do.

As for Keith, I knew that once the line in "Little T & A" was identified.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 5, 2016 18:02

So the "something new" Mick posted was about Mixed Emotions.

Date: October 5, 2016 18:11

GasLightStreet

Or something that didn't work...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 5, 2016 18:11

GasLightStreet

The song vote is up for Desert Trip.
Choices:

1.Mixed Emotions
2.Mixed Emotions
3.Mixed Emotions

winking smiley

Date: October 5, 2016 18:44

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

Or something that didn't work...

Eh... ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Yeah, that could be as well!

Date: October 5, 2016 18:48

Hairball
GasLightStreet

The song vote is up for Desert Trip.
Choices:

1.Mixed Emotions
2.Mixed Emotions
3.Mixed Emotions

winking smiley

Imagine if they did one like this:

1. Hold Back
2. Hold On To Your Hat
3. Turd On The Run

No one would pick 1 or 2, it would be 3 because no one knows what 1 and 2 are.

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: October 5, 2016 18:48

Great!!!!!!

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: October 5, 2016 18:55

GasLightStreet

1. Hold Back
2. Hold On To Your Hat
3. Turd On The Run

Even if I wouldnt know 1 or two I wouldn´t pick 3, because I know 3smoking smiley

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: October 5, 2016 19:36

More likely, but won't happen as well:

Jig Saw Puzzle
One Hit
Coming Down Again

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-05 19:37 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: October 6, 2016 00:07

HMS
GasLightStreet

1. Hold Back
2. Hold On To Your Hat
3. Turd On The Run

Even if I wouldnt know 1 or two I wouldn´t pick 3, because I know 3smoking smiley

You simply don't like great music, don't you?

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: October 6, 2016 04:14

DeanGoodman
TeddyB1018

What was the consensus in the Lenny fraternity about the Bob Dylan song?

Well intended and appreciated. Possibly not the greatest song Bob ever wrote but heartfelt. Bob and Lenny were a mutual admiration society.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-06 04:34 by TeddyB1018.

Date: October 6, 2016 04:25

Rocky Dijon
TeddyB1018
Rocky Dijon
Now that's a shocker to me, Teddy. I thought your Dad was Lenny's manager to the end because he produced the play and movie of his life. I knew of him because of his association with Arne Sultan and (by extension only) William Peter Blatty. He wrote a lot of funny material and had good taste as a producer. However, since this kinda blows your cover, I'm fine with deleting this post if you want to remain anonymous.

The project with Blatty was PROMISE HER ANYTHING with Warren Beatty and Leslie Caron. I think he and Arne were working together through the mid-sixties since they were writing GET SMART together as well as scripts like PROMISE HER ANYTHING. I had thought the latter was a rewrite job for Blatty. I didn't realize he worked directly with your Dad and Arne. That's interesting. There's a million questions I would have loved to have asked your Dad. Glad you have the great memories you do.

As for Keith, I knew that once the line in "Little T & A" was identified.

By '64 my dad was writing a movie based on Roger Miller's King of the Road by himself. Arne took a staff job on Get Smart, and they did work together on that (Hymie the Robot!). Promise Her Anything was one of the last things they did together, and yes, Blatty did rewrite them. They didn't work together directly, but had contact. Most of their movie scripts got rewritten. Some stayed decent (Boys Night Out), some less so (Three on a Couch).

My old boss David Milch tried hard to get my dad to write a memoir but he never warmed to the idea. He used to keep people spellbound at lunches with his stories, as his acquaintances spanned so many different areas and styles of the entertainment business. He and Don Was got on like a house on fire. My dad first knew the Stones though through Sandy Lieberson, who was a great friend of his. When I was a kid visiting my dad at Warner Brothers, I first got to meet Mick Jagger, who we ran into with Sandy on the lot when they were working on Performance.

Keith got a tape copy off my dad of the Lenny box set he and Hal Willner put together almost a decade before the thing actually got released.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-06 04:30 by TeddyB1018.

Date: October 6, 2016 04:31

Edit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-06 04:33 by TeddyB1018.

Date: October 6, 2016 05:06

All of this has been very enjoyable, Teddy. And thanks for confirming a few things that I did ask about. It's nice to fit the puzzle pieces together.

Date: October 6, 2016 06:23

Thanks Rocky. I've enjoyed it too. Now let's not get started on my late manager Gerry Harrington, who was pals with both Jagger and Richards, as impossible as that seems.

Date: October 6, 2016 07:38

Well while we're not getting started, what happened to Harrington's rock memorabilia?

Date: October 6, 2016 08:17

Rocky Dijon
Well while we're not getting started, what happened to Harrington's rock memorabilia?

It was removed from sale when he passed away and given to his daughters.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 6, 2016 08:55

When is the last time we heard "If You Can't Rock Me?"

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: October 6, 2016 09:14

Chris Fountain
When is the last time we heard "If You Can't Rock Me?"

2003 I think.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: October 6, 2016 20:14

Forgive me if I am wrong or if I have missed anything, but other than the Truckers' Gig, has anyone heard of what songs the Stones have rehearsed for these shows? I have tried to follow this thread, but I have seen nothing that has said "They rehearsed Song A, B, and C today"

Thanks in advance!

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: October 7, 2016 21:27

Not sure if this has been posted here before.
Street Fighting Man rehearsal.
Looks like its from 3 years ago?

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: VOODOOSEBI ()
Date: October 7, 2016 22:14

spikenyc
Not sure if this has been posted here before.
Street Fighting Man rehearsal.
Looks like its from 3 years ago?

[www.youtube.com]

These are the 2002 Licks Tour Rehearsels

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 8, 2016 00:48

Fascinating stories TeddyB, thanks for sharing! You've mentioned hearing the 2002 tracks but did you get to hear the B2B unreleased tracks too? I think you mentioned stopping by Ocean Way, must have been quite something!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 8, 2016 00:55

gotdablouse
Fascinating stories TeddyB, thanks for sharing! You've mentioned hearing the 2002 tracks but did you get to hear the B2B unreleased tracks too? I think you mentioned stopping by Ocean Way, must have been quite something!

The mistery of 'High or Low'!

Date: October 8, 2016 09:55

gotdablouse

Thanks. No, I haven't heard any of the unreleased BTB tracks. The night we spent at Ocean Way, they were working all night on Flip the Switch. It was amazing to watch. Whenever they were together playing, they sounded just like The Rolling Stones, playing off each other in their particular way. I am reminded though on hearing Still Your Fool, that it sounded more like that in the room back in '97 than it wound up sounding on BTB. I'm looking forward to hearing the crude album.

waiting for reports on the rehearsals for the us mini tour
Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 12, 2016 21:12

Just wondering how it went, what songs they played, etc. Just to get a feel.
jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-12 21:18 by corriecas.

Re: waiting for reports on the rehearsals for the us mini tour
Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: October 12, 2016 22:17

Here is a list of some songs they rehearsed for the US mini-Tour

Ride 'em On Down
Mixed Emotions
Come Together
Slipping Away
Little T&A

...maybe... Just Your Fool

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 12, 2016 22:27

The odd songs man, the odd songs...
jeroen

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: October 12, 2016 22:51

My sources tell me they rehearsed Brown Sugar, Satisfaction, Street Fighting Man, and Jumpin' Jack Flash. How exciting! smiling smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 11 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1943
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home