Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 12
Re: Rolling Stones LA Rehearsals - September 2016
Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: September 22, 2016 18:19

keefriff99
Kurt
I can't believe that I'm jumping into this thread to defend Paul McCartney...

BUT the guy puts on a THREE HOUR SHOW without a vocal break, ie no other band member sings a song or two or three in the middle of the set.

He plays an instrument on EVERY SINGLE SONG during those three hours - Bass, guitar, piano.

It's absurd for anyone to be critical of his performances.

A McCartney show is EVERYTHING that we all wish a Rolling Stones' show would be.
I'm certainly not criticizing McCartney. I'm simply saying that his songs are shorter, on average, than Stones songs. The math bears that out.

He clearly provides more bang for the buck, no two ways about it.

He also has this apparent thing about not drinking water on stage, which I think he should ss IT would surely help him. He doesn't lesve the stsge at any time and is always playing at least one musical instrument as well as singing during the nearly 3 hours his shows usually last. It's impossible to compare him with the Stones as it's 2 completely different types of show. The Stones seem to generate more crowd excitement and Mick is certainly a much more exciting front man. I hope they do some sort of collagoration at Desert Trip. They're definitely friends but have rarely appeared on stage together.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: September 22, 2016 18:27

Winning Ugly VXII
TheBlockbuster
Moonshine
Would love to hear them do One Hit, always loved that track

One Hit was a big mess when they tried to play it in 1989, now 27 years later everyone but Ronnie is very far away from their peak in terms of musical ability.

It will probably sound like an even bigger sloppy mess if they play it this year.

Same with many other lesser known songs in their catalogue.

Same with many other more well known songs in their catalogue.

Sympathy for the Devil , Honkey Tonk Women , Miss You , Tumbling Dice , even IORR many times since 2013.

Sadly, you are right. There are some examples of trainwreck warhorses the last few years. For instance Honky Tonk Women in Milwaukee 2015 became a disaster when Keith played the intro out of time with Chuck's cowbell. These kind of incidents will probably become more usual for every new tour.

The only way for them to prevent trainwrecks is to properly rehearse for a long time before hitting the stage. Which is what I hope they're doing right now.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: September 22, 2016 18:38

Winning Ugly VXII
TheBlockbuster
Moonshine

One Hit was a big mess when they tried to play it in 1989, now 27 years later everyone but Ronnie is very far away from their peak in terms of musical ability.

It will probably sound like an even bigger sloppy mess if they play it this year.

Sympathy for the Devil , Honkey Tonk Women , Miss You , Tumbling Dice , even IORR many times since 2013.

Yeah, it's sad to say that some of my favorite songs have been a bit ruined for me, partly because of overexposure, partly because of being played or sung poorly in recent years. When they first brought back SFTD in 1989 after not playing in 1978 or 1981, it was very cool...but they kept doing it (with less and less conviction) tour after tour. I generally like Hyde Park Live 2013 but I think Mick sings HTW terribly, very nasally and different than he used to. And yeah, Keith's solos can be cringe-worthy at times. I hate to see him embarrass himself. But, hey - they're 70-something now and it's cool that they're still doing it, and on it good night they still do it very well.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: September 22, 2016 18:52

Kurt

BUT the guy puts on a THREE HOUR SHOW without a vocal break, ie no other band member sings a song or two or three in the middle of the set.

He plays an instrument on EVERY SINGLE SONG during those three hours - Bass, guitar, piano.

A McCartney show is EVERYTHING that we all wish a Rolling Stones' show would be.

I agree totally

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 22, 2016 19:01

Kurt

So true and you get value and real bang for your buck/euro/yen/pound and so on.I f anyone has any doughts i am a Stones fan thru and thru !

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: September 22, 2016 19:12

The Greek, I don't doubt you. Because I feel the same way. Happy to be a fan of both.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: September 22, 2016 19:56

Moonshine

i saw the second or third show of steel wheels in toronto and they did it and harlem shuffle as well, i thought it sounded great.
they probably dropped it because not enough people knew the song.

it was early in the tour,if they would've worked it they could've made one hit into a monster.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 22, 2016 19:59

Kurt

Love Paul.
Very much looking forward to catching him live again.

But honestly, if I had to give up the Macca concert or the Stones concert on this trip, it wouldn't be something I'd have to even think about..

But I like It...

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: September 22, 2016 23:56

Stones need to take an idea from Springsteen's set lists.

Too predictable for years not catering to their die hard fan base.

Only this band can get away playing pretty much the same set list
for plus 20 years.

Please do not play "Miss You" again. Try "Star Star", it may be
a nice alternative.

Posted by: rocknola ()
Date: September 23, 2016 00:38

isn"t this a thread about rehearsals????

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: September 23, 2016 00:43

rocknola
isn"t this a thread about rehearsals????

It is and there is clearly a link between rehearsals and what the band plays, so it's all topical.....

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: September 23, 2016 00:47

bv is there me thinks thumbs up
Memory Motel, Sway, Ruby Tuesday....

Rehearsals started sept. 20 it seems.

Good night. Sleep tight.smileys with beer

Date: September 23, 2016 03:19

Midnight Toker

for plus 20 years.

a nice alternative.

Nice idea but the thought of 70-something men singing about a "StarF%#&er" is just a little weird - as was Keith attempting to revive T&A in 2006.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 23, 2016 04:01

HonkeyTonkFlash
Midnight Toker

for plus 20 years.

a nice alternative.

Nice idea but the thought of 70-something men singing about a "StarF%#&er" is just a little weird - as was Keith attempting to revive T&A in 2006.

As is 73 yr. old Mick singing "Start Me Up" ...

"If you start me up I'll never stop
I've been running hot
You got me ticking gonna blow my top..."

Cringworthy...time to put that old warhorse out to pasture. winking smiley

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: September 23, 2016 05:14

RipThisBone

Really? did you hear ?

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 23, 2016 05:31

tumbled
RipThisBone

Really? did you hear ?

That has been confirmed by boots on the ground.. (Gaff on Shidoobee)
N. Hollywood- Same place and MO as last time.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: September 23, 2016 06:30

Same songs too

Date: September 23, 2016 10:48

Hairball
HonkeyTonkFlash
Midnight Toker

for plus 20 years.

a nice alternative.

As is 73 yr. old Mick singing "Start Me Up" ...

"If you start me up I'll never stop
I've been running hot
You got me ticking gonna blow my top..."

Cringworthy...time to put that old warhorse out to pasture. winking smiley

I'm also tired of SMU, but we all know it was a big hit and it's something they can still get away with. Kind of like how the old bluesmen could pull off songs loaded with sexual innuendo...Sort of like an old guy playfully croaking out, Good morning little schoolgirl." Alas, there's a big difference between innuendo and something as explicit as Star Star. The Stones got away with it when they were young and sexy themselves. Even when they did it on the Licks Tour, it felt awkward, a bit. I personally felt a bit embarrassed for Keith, croaking about "tits and ass" in 2006; especially with my 10 & 8 year old sons in attendance. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 23, 2016 10:57

HonkeyTonkFlash
I personally felt a bit embarrassed for Keith, croaking about "tits and ass" in 2006; especially with my 10 & 8 year old sons in attendance.

grinning smiley

Date: September 23, 2016 12:15

TheBlockbuster
Winning Ugly VXII
TheBlockbuster
Moonshine

Sadly, you are right. There are some examples of trainwreck warhorses the last few years. For instance Honky Tonk Women in Milwaukee 2015 became a disaster when Keith played the intro out of time with Chuck's cowbell. These kind of incidents will probably become more usual for every new tour.

The only way for them to prevent trainwrecks is to properly rehearse for a long time before hitting the stage. Which is what I hope they're doing right now.

Yeah, I love the Stones but it blows my mind that they can screw up songs they've done thousands of times since the late sixties - early seventies. But that's part of the magic of the Stones. They're really technically not brilliant players, but put them together on a good night, and when the chemistry works, it's magic.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 23, 2016 12:45

HonkeyTonkFlash
I personally felt a bit embarrassed for Keith, croaking about "tits and ass" in 2006; especially with my 10 & 8 year old sons in attendance.

Low labido? eye rolling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-23 12:57 by Maindefender.

Date: September 23, 2016 12:53

Maindefender
dcba
HonkeyTonkFlash

Low labido? eye rolling smiley

My point - and I know it's just my personal opinion - is that it seemed perfectly natural for the Stones to do very sexual songs as young men in their prime. Doing those same songs in their old age just seems forced and awkward, not to mention that musically, Little T&A was pathetic in 2006....Keith hardly playing his guitar, the horns....Just my opinion...kind if like how the inflatable phallus was funny in 1975 but it would seem out of place with a bunch of 70 year olds on stage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-23 12:57 by HonkeyTonkFlash.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: September 23, 2016 15:50

HonkeyTonkFlash
that it seemed perfectly natural for the Stones to do very sexual songs as young men in their prime. Doing those same songs in their old age just seems forced and awkward

Hmm... dont know. After all Ronnie became Dad of twins not so long ago and Mick is going to be a Dad again... so they aren´t like usual 70+ year old. It seems that their candles are still burning... Okay, Ron isn´t 70 yet. smoking smiley

But I know what you mean. It´s only that Mick never stopped behaving like a 25-years old womanizer. So why shouldn´t he sing those songs anymore.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: September 23, 2016 15:57

HMS
HonkeyTonkFlash
that it seemed perfectly natural for the Stones to do very sexual songs as young men in their prime. Doing those same songs in their old age just seems forced and awkward

Hmm... dont know. After all Ronnie became Dad of twins not so long ago and Mick is going to be a Dad again... so they aren´t like usual 70+ year old. It seems that their candles are still burning... Okay, Ron isn´t 70 yet. smoking smiley

But I know what you mean. It´s only that Mick never stopped behaving like a 25-years old womanizer. So why shouldn´t he sing those songs anymore.

Hey man, Mick can sing ANYTHING and make a grown man/ woman cry,
and as for old man Keith,
that recent gray haired pic of him lounging on the purple couch smokin a cig
NOT AFRAID
well I thought...I'm not afraid.... tussle on the couch. Glint in the eye got me
BV hope you're out CA sunshine winking smiley

Date: September 23, 2016 16:12

HMS
HonkeyTonkFlash

Ya got a good point...and the Stones should be able to do whatever they want, but I'm just saying that songs that come across as sexual bragging seem more appropriate to younger guys. Chuck Berry singing about his Ding-A-Ling would be embarrassing at age 87...Then again that song was always cringe-worthy. Maybe the Stones SHOULD do Star Star again; I just find that sort of song no longer befitting to them...maybe it's me that is getting too old.....spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: September 23, 2016 16:22

I never liked 'Star Star' in the first place.

Anyway, Bjornulf are you doing a travel log blog? I enjoy thank you.

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: September 23, 2016 16:31

lol, that HTW at Summerfest was hilarious. They should have just done a full stop and started it over.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 23, 2016 17:55

Winning Ugly VXII
GasLightStreet
HonkeyTonkFlash
Moonshine
HonkeyTonkFlash
Moonshine

I was thrilled to hear them do that at Shea Stadium in 1989. I doubt they'll ever do it again as "One Hit" was not a "Big Hit."

Lucky you, one it's very few live outings?

I'd have to check my stats but I think they pretty much alternated between doing One Hit or Harlem Shuffle at various shows. Not sure how many times they did either one. One token nod to Dirty Work on the Steel Wheels Tour. Can't remember if they played anything else from that album; don't think so.

They played One Hit the first 13 shows of the STEEL WHEELS tour and then started to drop it. It took them 12 shows to understand just how bad it was. But then they did it again around show 25 or so in Los Angeles for some reason and then the second and fourth shows at Shea Stadium. Then one more time in Oakland. They kept Harlem Shuffle in for every show of the 1989-90 shows since they were actually able to play that one and it's a good song.

They did not do anything else from their worst LP.

The last "One Hit" was performed at the Orange Bowl in Miami.

"Harlem Shuffle" was not played at every '89/'90 concert.

They started the tour performing both songs. When "One Hit" returned for a stretch after first being dropped,it was alternated with "Harlem Shuffle". (Shea Stadium shows, Oakland , Miami shows etc.)

I finally saw it, where they didn't do Harlem Shuffle. Must've gotten glazed over...

Well at least they smartened up and dropped the awful One Hit.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 23, 2016 17:56

keefriff99
whitem8
Most of Mccartney's songs are not 2 1/2 minutes long. A few are. However, many are much longer. Hey Jude is around 8. Helter Skelter, Let Me Roll It. Lots of longer songs. He just plays a much longer. Most Stones songs are not 6 to 7 minutes long as well. A few, but not most.
Take the Cuba gig...

134 minutes. 18 songs. That averages out to 7.44 minutes per song...of course, you've got band intros, the encore dead time, in between song banter...so reduce it to 6 minutes per song.

I know McCartney plays longer than the Stones, but his songs are shorter. If each of McCartney's songs were as long as the Stones average, he'd need to play for 7.44*38 = 4.712 hours.

McCartney sings more than Mick.

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: September 23, 2016 17:59

This tread is about the Stones rehearsal. Forget about Paul here.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1251
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home