Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5657585960616263646566...LastNext
Current Page: 61 of 67
Re: Mick Jagger solo works
Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 5, 2017 17:17

Hairball
GasLightStreet
LeonidP
Hairball
DandelionPowderman
liddas
So many interesting things here since the last time I checked the thread.

I'll try to catch up later, as soon as I recover from the shock for reading on a Stones allegedly "fan" site that Jigsaw Puzzle is one of the weakest tracks on Beggars and a clear example of, what?, Jagger still being a novice at songwriting ...

Puzzle is not Beggars' best track only because we have Devil and Street Fighting man on the same album. Yet it remains one of the most brilliant pieces of music ever put on tape by the stones.

And - since this is a Jagger thread - one of Mick's best vocal interpretations ever. You do not even need to understand what he is raving about with the lyrics, he gets across THAT FEEL just right and perfect!

C

I jumped in my chair when I read that, too, but I've learned through the years here that taste is hard to discuss.

I think many don't like or appreciate the surprising maturity of the track, though.

Lol it's a weak track imo, crucify me all you want!

Wow, haven't followed the thread much but this is certainly shocking, figured it would have been HMS to come up w/ this.

It's indeed some HMS kind of thinking, calling Jigsaw Puzzle a "weak track" when there's not one weak track on BEGGARS.

Evidently neither of you have followed the thread much, and to take a quote out of context is your loss!
I suggest rereading the last three or four pages, and report back when you have a proper clue before casting judgement. winking smiley

But to regurgitate it all and spoon feed for you:
Weak track - especially in the context of the album IMO.

ummm .... so what about that required that we go back 3 or 4 pages? You state it's a weak track, it's brilliant. HMS has accessed your account, perhaps?

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: July 5, 2017 17:37

retired_dog
stone4ever
GasLightStreet
stone4ever
Excuse me but how does Mick go from writing Memo From Turner to Lets Work

Because Sympathy For The Devil to Winning Ugly? Or Jumpin' Jack Flash to Might As Well Get Juiced? Street Fighting Man to Streets Of Love? Gimme Shelter to Sweet Neo Con? Brown Sugar to Keys To Your Love? Rocks Off to Stealing My Heart?

ETC!!!!!!!!!!

I see what you mean, i know i'm a bit slow but i was thinking that in comparison Keith's solo albums show a connection to Keith's Stones writing with songs like Take It So Hard, How I Wish, Locked Away, Wicked A It Seems, You Don't Move Me, Locked Away etc etc.
We can see a connection in ability, we can see that the same writer took part in these tracks as say Beast Of Burden or BTMMR or Happy.

I just don't see a connection from Mick's writing earlier in his career to Sh'es The Boss.
Sorry just saying sad smiley

A different view could be that while Keith was always trapped in a limited musical landscape, Mick at least tried to widen his.

But, whatever, and for what it's worth, while there's obviously little connection from Mick's earlier writing to She's The Boss, I can hear one to Wandering Spirit.

Yes definitely, I'm actually enjoying this album second time round smiling smiley
It's the best of Mick's imho

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 5, 2017 19:42

LeonidP

ummm .... so what about that required that we go back 3 or 4 pages? You state it's a weak track, it's brilliant. HMS has accessed your account, perhaps?

OK don't go back 3 or 4 pages...instead maybe you should understand that others have a different opinion from you. I say weak track. You say brilliant track. Whoopty doo.
I don't cave in to peer pressure, I have a mind of my own, and I usually don't take part in groupthink either which by definition is:

"...occurs when a group values harmony and coherance over accurate analysis and critical evaluation.
It causes individual members of the group to unquestioningly follow the word of the leader and it strongly discourages any disagreement with the concensus".

I've always had a rebellious streak, and have never been a sheep following the herd. That said, I understand others feel safer when they allow others to make their decisions and form their opinions.
Hopefully you truly think it's a great track rather than just following the herd.

By the way, HMS hasn't been as active lately...maybe he's caved in to the attacks on his opinions and retreated?

Date: July 5, 2017 20:00

Hairball
LeonidP

OK don't go back 3 or 4 pages...instead maybe you should understand that others have a different opinion from you. I say weak track. You say brilliant track. Whoopty doo.
I don't cave in to peer pressure, I have a mind of my own, and I usually don't take part in groupthink either which by definition is:

"...occurs when a group values harmony and coherance over accurate analysis and critical evaluation.
It causes individual members of the group to unquestioningly follow the word of the leader and it strongly discourages any disagreement with the concensus".

I've always had a rebellious streak, and have never been a sheep following the herd. That said, I understand others feel safer when they allow others to make their decisions and form their opinions.
Hopefully you truly think it's a great track rather than just following the herd.

By the way, HMS hasn't been as active lately...maybe he's caved in to the attacks on his opinions and retreated?

I wasn't stating my opinion. It's a brilliant track, that's a fact!

Date: July 5, 2017 20:04

LeonidP
Hairball
LeonidP

LOL...OK now that you put it like that....sometimes I get my facts wrong lol.

thumbs up

Date: July 5, 2017 20:07

Hairball
LeonidP
Hairball
LeonidP

LOL...OK now that you put it like that....sometimes I get my facts wrong lol.

thumbs up

smileys with beer ... just kidding of course!

Date: July 6, 2017 00:44

Hairball
LeonidP

My oh my these are my sentiments exactly.
They did a study of human beings and they found that people will do the crazyest evil things if they feel that if they don't they will be outside of the group. I will try to find it later.
I have studied this place over the years and its very telling, say for instance the album Dirty Work, apart from me and HMS everyone hates it even though there are tracks on it that they really like. Its so funny they don't want to be seen like the odd one out, its really not that bad an album, it stands up to all the crap that was released at the time it was released.
Dirty Work is just an example, Emotional Rescue is another, Its crap but because key members on here say its great everyone agrees.
The other thing i notice is how posters will completely turn 180 degrees on an opinion if a fellow poster they respect happens to disagree.
Even today i noticed myself not wanting to upset people who love Mick and his solo albums, so i find myself thinking Wandering Spirit is not so bad after all lol. It happens.
The thing i notice most of all is how someone you really like, and know to get along with will eventually dislike you if you disagree with their taste in music lol. People take it personal, we are still just primitive monkeys underneath the surface.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-06 00:51 by stone4ever.

Date: July 6, 2017 00:47

Some sparring and stinging comments doesn't mean that one dislikes you or your views, Riffie. You shouldn't take it so hard winking smiley

Date: July 6, 2017 00:53

DandelionPowderman
Some sparring and stinging comments doesn't mean that one dislikes you or your views, Riffie. You shouldn't take it so hard winking smiley

No i shouldn't lol.
I dish it out so i got to take it back, it goes with the territory , i think i ask for it if i'm honest winking smiley

Date: July 6, 2017 00:54

stone4ever
Even today i noticed myself not wanting to upset people who love Mick and his solo albums, so i find myself thinking Wandering Spirit is not so bad .

Stay strong stone4ever - it was just a passing sensation...you're not fully brainwashed yet!!! winking smiley
Resist the temptation of singing to the choir, and sing your own tune...even if it's completely out of key.

Date: July 6, 2017 01:03

Hairball
stone4ever
Even today i noticed myself not wanting to upset people who love Mick and his solo albums, so i find myself thinking Wandering Spirit is not so bad .

Stay strong stone4ever - it was just a passing sensation...you're not fully brainwashed yet!!! winking smiley
Resist the temptation of singing to the choir, and sing your own tune...even if it's completely out of key.

It's this thread, its hypnotizing me into submission, i find myself looking at Mick Jagger now and going aw he's so nice, that horrible Keith ruins everything for him hehe.
No that will never happen. Free Mick !!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 6, 2017 01:09

take break .... throw some daggers at the wall .... abuse ya grandmother then come back here fresh and freeeeeeeeeeee

ROCKMAN

Date: July 6, 2017 01:13

This thread is a combination of insults, unnecessary provocations and golden info.

In other words, a classic IORR thread smiling smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 6, 2017 01:14

Yeah Dandeeeee amongst the garbage there are some golden chunks of info ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: July 6, 2017 02:01

I was off drinking way too much patriotic beer the last cpl of days and so missed the 'news': is it actually possible that we'll have a new 'Mick Jagger solo work' to dissect before there is another Stones opus to eviscerate? Color my mind boggled ...

Date: July 6, 2017 02:19

LongBeachArena72
I was off drinking way too much patriotic beer the last cpl of days and so missed the 'news': is it actually possible that we'll have a new 'Mick Jagger solo work' to dissect before there is another Stones opus to eviscerate? Color my mind boggled ...

LB i think that was fake news, no Jagger album that i know of. The video the girl was involved with might have been a Stones one unless we are in for WWIV.
I don't understand the secrecy of it all, perhaps there's method in their madness.

Date: July 6, 2017 02:24

stone4ever
LongBeachArena72

LB i think that was fake news, no Jagger album that i know of. The video the girl was involved with might have been a Stones one unless we are in for WWIV.
I don't understand the secrecy of it all, perhaps there's method in their madness.

Oh, ok. I guess a lot of 'casual' fans do refer to the band as 'Mick Jagger,' after all. I for one am rooting for WWIV. I need something to distract me from these North Korean ICBM's that keep buzzing our rooftops in LA.

Date: July 6, 2017 02:32

LongBeachArena72
stone4ever
LongBeachArena72

Oh, ok. I guess a lot of 'casual' fans do refer to the band as 'Mick Jagger,' after all. I for one am rooting for WWIV. I need something to distract me from these North Korean ICBM's that keep buzzing our rooftops in LA.

Jeez no wonder you're drinking Patriotic Beer, sounds scary sad smiley

Date: July 6, 2017 02:58

stone4ever
LongBeachArena72
stone4ever
LongBeachArena72

Jeez no wonder you're drinking Patriotic Beer, sounds scary sad smiley

I've discovered a new high: the hallucinations brought on by craft beer and no sleep due to baby feedings are better than peyote and shrooms, my young British amigo!

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: July 6, 2017 02:59

LongBeachArena72
stone4ever
LongBeachArena72

*if I were poetic, I'd try to explain the F. It attitude/ tomorrow's uncertain/ who cares feel to the place but for these tethers, I mean kids... or is that 50?

Date: July 6, 2017 03:15

35love
LongBeachArena72
stone4ever
LongBeachArena72

*if I were poetic, I'd try to explain the F. It attitude/ tomorrow's uncertain/ who cares feel to the place but for these tethers, I mean kids... or is that 50?

Not entirely sure what you are saying, you wish you was poetic so you could explain the fvck it attitude because tomorrows uncertain, but who cares anyway because you are tied to children and you are about 50. Is that right confused smiley
ABSOLUTELY smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-06 03:16 by stone4ever.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: July 6, 2017 03:22

stone4ever
35love
LongBeachArena72
stone4ever
LongBeachArena72

Not entirely sure what you are saying, you wish you was poetic so you could explain the fvck it attitude because tomorrows uncertain, but who cares anyway because you are tied to children and you are about 50. Is that right confused smiley

*Oh dear, this thread makes me woozy and too talkative. No, my life is good, I'm grateful, but there is a wandering spirit within. How's that?

Topic: IORR clues look today like new Jagger solo, doesn't it?
Truthfully, I want some new music and I'll buy and want what Mick gives, if it goes that way, and I can't control my music repeat selection based on who it comes from--

Date: July 6, 2017 03:26

35love
stone4ever
35love
LongBeachArena72
stone4ever
LongBeachArena72

*Oh dear, this thread makes me woozy and too talkative. No, my life is good, I'm grateful, but there is a wandering spirit within. How's that?

Truthfully, I want some new music and I'll buy and want what Mick gives, if it goes that way, and I can't control my music repeat selection based on who it comes from--

Yep that will do nicely, very poetic .
I'd settle for a Mick solo album as it happens, anything, its been ten years.
I wonder what happened to these 40 demo's, perhaps Mick's got a double album coming.

Date: July 6, 2017 04:02

stone4ever
35love
stone4ever
35love
LongBeachArena72
stone4ever
LongBeachArena72

Yep that will do nicely, very poetic .
I'd settle for a Mick solo album as it happens, anything, its been ten years.
I wonder what happened to these 40 demo's, perhaps Mick's got a double album coming.

Or regarding the 40 demos........no facts.......just speculating.......

Maybe half (or more) of Mick's 40 demos went to his new solo album - he has said sometimes he writes songs that are "un-Stonesy", and with oddball beats and curveballs, that's probably where they should be. (And maybe these were the ones that Universal execs call "uneven" and "lack focus")?

And the other half are in the Stones camp being re-worked - letting the rest of the band stamp the Stonesy sound on to them.

But..will Keith have at least one of his songs where he sings on the new Stones album?
Hopefully at least some of his "dynamite riffs" will make it. Or will Keith saving them for another solo album of his own?

No answers, yet lots to ponder.

Hoping for the best as always. thumbs up

Date: July 6, 2017 05:33

stone4ever
I have studied this place over the years and its very telling, say for instance the album Dirty Work, apart from me and HMS everyone hates it even though there are tracks on it that they really like. Its so funny they don't want to be seen like the odd one out, its really not that bad an album, it stands up to all the crap that was released at the time it was released...

It's funny that you assume because someone dislikes Dirty Work, they are saying so as to not be the odd one out. I dislike it because it's easily their worst album. It has a couple okay tracks but nothing that is really great (I personally love Too Rude but even that one is disliked by the majority of members, from what I've read). Some like you or HMS might claim that One Hit or Had It With You are great, but they aren't. They are okay tracks, but nothing that makes me want to listen to them repeatedly.

And it has way too many poor tracks - Fight, Hold Back, Back To Zero, Dirty Work, off the top of my head. They are just bad songs. Really bad. I can't listen to them at all, and never will again. Also the well liked Sleep Tonight does nothing for me. It's my least favorite Keith song.

-- and who cares how it compares to what was released back then ... which by the way, it still compares poorly, there was more music released than just M Jackson or Huey Lewis, just not radio friendly.

Harlem Shuffle does have a great groove, not that great a song overall but it's at least better than the original -- but still, it doesn't come close to other covers, like Ain't Too Proud or Imagination.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-06 05:37 by LeonidP.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 6, 2017 05:33

It's not actually "fake news" when the person posting it says they're just speculating aloud and not teasing any insider secrets.

Here's what Mick had to say in March 2015 courtesy of [timeisonourside.com]

Mick: I don't know. It would be very nice and I've got a lot of new songs and songs I've written over the last couple of years. I've done really good demos for all of them, which I would love to record. So, let's hope so... I haven't (thought about making a solo album). I'd love to record a Stones album. If that doesn't happen, then yes. That's a truthful answer. I've got songs that would be great for the Stones, and I've got songs that wouldn't be perfect for the Stones...I've been writing this week. I've written a lot of new songs lately, but we haven't recorded them yet. (They're about)just life in general, different subjects, personal things, social things.

Date: July 6, 2017 05:46

As for Dirty Work:

I liked their cover of Harlem Shuffle and the cool cartoon video they had - but still prefer the Bob and Earl original version.
I also kind of liked One Hit at the time, but mainly because of the Jimmy Page solo - he really let one rip lol.
As for Too Rude, not a bad cover and give credit to Keith for trying, but the original from Jamaican singer Half Pint is far better imo (the original title is Winsome).

I tried desperately to like the album at the time of release, but sadly it was the first time I felt almost totally underwhelmed - a sign of things to come.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-06 05:47 by Hairball.

Date: July 6, 2017 06:02

Rocky Dijon
It's not actually "fake news" when the person posting it says they're just speculating aloud and not teasing any insider secrets.

Here's what Mick had to say in March 2015 courtesy of [timeisonourside.com]

Mick: I don't know. It would be very nice and I've got a lot of new songs and songs I've written over the last couple of years. I've done really good demos for all of them, which I would love to record. So, let's hope so... I haven't (thought about making a solo album). I'd love to record a Stones album. If that doesn't happen, then yes. That's a truthful answer. I've got songs that would be great for the Stones, and I've got songs that wouldn't be perfect for the Stones...I've been writing this week. I've written a lot of new songs lately, but we haven't recorded them yet. (They're about)just life in general, different subjects, personal things, social things.

I must have missed it when someone called your speculative post "fake news", but whoever said it can take a hike!

As for what Mick had to say in 2015...sounds like he always has the solo album option open, and he's definitely quite prolific! But sometimes less is more...quantity over quality, etc. And if I recall, that's when Keith chimed in with his "who gives a shit, I've got three dynamite riffs" remark about Micks mass amount of demos.Wondering how "dynamite" they really are, and maybe the proof will be in the pudding if the albums ever released.
Would be nice if Keith could incorporate his "dynamite" riffs into some of Micks songs in a true collaboration, but something tells me Mick won't go for that. They don't write 'em like that any more...

Date: July 6, 2017 06:16

The new Micky joint oughta be 40 mins of him kinda drunk and strumming an old Ovation guitar while singin blues tunes like that one in the bathroom during PERFORMANCE. I'd buy that record.

Date: July 6, 2017 06:43

stone4ever
I have studied this place over the years and its very telling, say for instance the album Dirty Work, apart from me and HMS everyone hates it even though there are tracks on it that they really like. Its so funny they don't want to be seen like the odd one out, its really not that bad an album, it stands up to all the crap that was released at the time it was released.
Dirty Work is just an example, Emotional Rescue is another, Its crap but because key members on here say its great everyone agrees.
The other thing i notice is how posters will completely turn 180 degrees on an opinion if a fellow poster they respect happens to disagree.
Even today i noticed myself not wanting to upset people who love Mick and his solo albums, so i find myself thinking Wandering Spirit is not so bad after all lol. It happens.
The thing i notice most of all is how someone you really like, and know to get along with will eventually dislike you if you disagree with their taste in music lol. People take it personal, we are still just primitive monkeys underneath the surface.

I don't know, riffie. I think some of us just don't like Dirty Work, independent of any consensus on this website. Some of us was hatin on that record before IORR even existed!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5657585960616263646566...LastNext
Current Page: 61 of 67

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1910
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home