Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5758596061626364656667Next
Current Page: 62 of 67
Re: Mick Jagger solo works
Posted by: 35love ()
Date: July 6, 2017 07:11

I say: Hallelujah it is all goin' down on tape. Or is it digital? Wifi on the cloud?
Regardless, the RS have put down finished tracs (tracks? Songs!) I might say that new studio album is finished, and they're hanging onto it.
Okay, and yahoo, a solo album from Mick Jagger new songs,
AND, a computation (? right word, lol) of live recordings (RARE ones?!) over last 5-6 years (since 2012) add a few of the good live duets like 'Beast' w/ Ed the red headed kid, whatever the duet was with Brad Paisley...
Oh yeah, FONDA too
And, we'd like some more 1972 please. Vault circa 1972.
THAT'S ALOTA NEW PRODUCT!
On topa all the new product we been gettin'!
smileys with beer

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-06 07:15 by 35love.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 6, 2017 07:34

35love
I say: Hallelujah it is all goin' down on tape. Or is it digital? Wifi on the cloud?
Regardless, the RS have put down finished tracs (tracks? Songs!) I might say that new studio album is finished, and they're hanging onto it.
AND, a computation (? right word, lol) of live recordings (RARE ones?!) over last 5-6 years (since 2012) add a few of the good live duets like 'Beast' w/ Ed the red headed kid, whatever the duet was with Brad Paisley...
Oh yeah, FONDA too
smileys with beer

PLEASE DO NOT FORGET THE GUEST APPEARANCE OF MICK TAYLOR FOR THE LIVE COMPILATION - MIDNIGHT RAMBLER OR CAN'T YOU HEAR ME KNOCKING PLEASE...OR MAYBE SWAY!!!
AND MAYBE THE BILL WYMAN GUEST APPEARANCE- I FORGET WHAT HE PLAYED ON, BUT HE DESERVES TO BE ON THE ALBUM!!!!

smileys with beer

Date: July 6, 2017 07:45

Hairball
35love
Oh yeah, FONDA too
smileys with beer

PLEASE DO NOT FORGET THE GUEST APPEARANCE OF MICK TAYLOR FOR THE LIVE COMPILATION - MIDNIGHT RAMBLER OR CAN'T YOU HEAR ME KNOCKING PLEASE...OR MAYBE SWAY!!!
AND MAYBE THE BILL WYMAN GUEST APPEARANCE- I FORGET WHAT HE PLAYED ON, BUT HE DESERVES TO BE ON THE ALBUM!!!!

smileys with beer

Yaaass!

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: July 6, 2017 08:11

LongBeachArena72
The new Micky joint oughta be 40 mins of him kinda drunk and strumming an old Ovation guitar while singin blues tunes like that one in the bathroom during PERFORMANCE. I'd buy that record.

You know what else I'd pay for? It's the 20th anniv of Bridges to Babylon, right? So why can't that live compilation album be the best 20 different live recordings of "Out of Control"? They must've played it at least 20 times, so I'm sure they could come up with 20 decent versions. Might not be a Live Licks, but hey they can't all be gems.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: July 6, 2017 11:37

Rocky Dijon
It's not actually "fake news" when the person posting it says they're just speculating aloud and not teasing any insider secrets.

Here's what Mick had to say in March 2015 courtesy of [timeisonourside.com]

Mick: I don't know. It would be very nice and I've got a lot of new songs and songs I've written over the last couple of years. I've done really good demos for all of them, which I would love to record. So, let's hope so... I haven't (thought about making a solo album). I'd love to record a Stones album. If that doesn't happen, then yes. That's a truthful answer. I've got songs that would be great for the Stones, and I've got songs that wouldn't be perfect for the Stones...I've been writing this week. I've written a lot of new songs lately, but we haven't recorded them yet. (They're about)just life in general, different subjects, personal things, social things.

Sorry Rocky it was me who said i think its fake news, i didn't see your original post, in light of what Mick has said in 2015 its not fake news.
Its speculative as you said.
I'm sticking my neck out here, i don't think Mick has a solo album up his sleeve, i think he is struggling creatively, its been this way for ten years. 40 demo's sure, but do they cut the mustard, are they good enough.
I hope i'm wrong though, i will take a Mick solo album as a plus these days, time is running out for the Stones, i'll take what ever i can from any of them at this stage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-06 12:14 by stone4ever.

Date: July 6, 2017 12:33

LeonidP
stone4ever
I have studied this place over the years and its very telling, say for instance the album Dirty Work, apart from me and HMS everyone hates it even though there are tracks on it that they really like. Its so funny they don't want to be seen like the odd one out, its really not that bad an album, it stands up to all the crap that was released at the time it was released...

It's funny that you assume because someone dislikes Dirty Work, they are saying so as to not be the odd one out. I dislike it because it's easily their worst album. It has a couple okay tracks but nothing that is really great (I personally love Too Rude but even that one is disliked by the majority of members, from what I've read). Some like you or HMS might claim that One Hit or Had It With You are great, but they aren't. They are okay tracks, but nothing that makes me want to listen to them repeatedly.

And it has way too many poor tracks - Fight, Hold Back, Back To Zero, Dirty Work, off the top of my head. They are just bad songs. Really bad. I can't listen to them at all, and never will again. Also the well liked Sleep Tonight does nothing for me. It's my least favorite Keith song.

-- and who cares how it compares to what was released back then ... which by the way, it still compares poorly, there was more music released than just M Jackson or Huey Lewis, just not radio friendly.

Harlem Shuffle does have a great groove, not that great a song overall but it's at least better than the original -- but still, it doesn't come close to other covers, like Ain't Too Proud or Imagination.

Look i'm not saying all people who hate DW are Sheeple, but some are.
Ok you don't like sleep tonight , fine, brilliant, but most people do.
One Hit To The Body is a bloody good rocker with an even better video to accompany it.
Too Rude, Dirty Work (brilliant interlocking guitars ), Winning Ugly, Harlem Shuffle, all good tracks, better than Their Satanic Majesties Request bollocks ( apart from She's A Rainbow and 2000 Light-Years From Home) or Emotion Rescue (it doesn't Rock) imho.
Basically yeah, its not one of their best, but its far from pitiful, which is the general consensus around here. Nothing with Sleep Tonight and Too Rude on it is all bad.winking smiley
Had they toured behind it, those songs would have rocked and the album would have sold much better. Its better than A Bigger Bang is some ways, more memorable, more charm, hey even Mick sings like he means it on DW.
HMS help sad smiley
Gaslight stay out haha

Ok guys i'm going to give you all a rest from me now, see you all's when the album comes out. smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-06 12:59 by stone4ever.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: July 6, 2017 13:06

Things tend to get unnecessarily polarized on this forum, e.g. the whole "X vs Y camp thing" or Dirty Work. With DW, on the extremes we have HMS vs GLS.
However, as far as I can see, most people here like a few songs on DW, maybe even love one or two, but also recognize that there are a few terrible ones on it, so terrible in fact that they all but ruin the chance of listening to the thing.
Personally, I love One Hit. I listen to it regularly, but on YouTube (which is a pity, because the single-edited version has shorter breaks than the superior album version), but I'd be damned if I gonna listen to the album. I like Harlem Shuffle, I think Winning Ugly has potential but got ruined by 80's production and Sleep Tonight is nice, but it's a flower on a pigsty. I have seen a lot of people here who like Dirty Work (the song) or Had It With You, but I think they are lousy.
Most people will agree though that Hold Back and Back To Zero are complete duds. The best thing I can say about the album is 1) One Hit 2) at least they didn't comprise as they would do from then on.
Another infamously bad album is obviously Their Satanic Majesties, which has gems like Rainbow, 2000 lightyears and Citadel, but also cringeworthy embarrassments like On With The Show, Sing This Together (2x) and Gomper (which starts okayish but then descends in ridicule).

(Edit: changed "Had It With You" to "Hold Back")

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-06 16:44 by matxil.

Date: July 6, 2017 14:42

matxil
Things tend to get unnecessarily polarized on this forum, e.g. the whole "X vs Y camp thing" or Dirty Work. With DW, on the extremes we have HMS vs GLS.
However, as far as I can see, most people here like a few songs on DW, maybe even love one or two, but also recognize that there are a few terrible ones on it, so terrible in fact that they all but ruin the chance of listening to the thing.
Personally, I love One Hit. I listen to it regularly, but on YouTube (which is a pity, because the single-edited version has shorter breaks than the superior album version), but I'd be damned if I gonna listen to the album. I like Harlem Shuffle, I think Winning Ugly has potential but got ruined by 80's production and Sleep Tonight is nice, but it's a flower on a pigsty. I have seen a lot of people here who like Dirty Work (the song) or Had It With You, but I think they are lousy.
Most people will agree though that Had It With You and Back To Zero are complete duds. The best thing I can say about the album is 1) One Hit 2) at least they didn't comprise as they would do from then on.
Another infamously bad album is obviously Their Satanic Majesties, which has gems like Rainbow, 2000 lightyears and Citadel, but also cringeworthy embarrassments like On With The Show, Sing This Together (2x) and Gomper (which starts okayish but then descends in ridicule).

Ok my last word because its off topic and i keep doing it sorry.

Matxil that's complete reason, every word of your post is right, my point is that apart from the Stones and the odd exception, other artists have a few good singles released from their albums followed by a load of old codswallop.
With the Stones most tracks are great throughout their albums and that is rare. So Dirty Work can be forgiven for not having consistency, because it doesn't matter, i put all my favorite Stones tracks on my mp3 and three of those tracks are from Dirty Work.
I've never listened to an album all the way through unless every song is brilliant, life is too short to waste on mediocrity.

The Stones have always been one of those bands that don't release their best tracks like Gimme Shelter, probably because Keith wrote it, nearly all the singles are predominately Micks songs. There now i'm back on topic again.winking smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 6, 2017 15:14

stone4ever

The Stones have always been one of those bands that don't release their best tracks like Gimme Shelter, probably because Keith wrote it, nearly all the singles are predominately Micks songs. There now i'm back on topic again.winking smiley

Yeah, it is such a shame that they don't relaese as singles as songs like "wild Horses", "Tumbling Dice", "Angie", "Beast of Burden", "She's So Cold", "Start Me Up", "One Hit", "Almost hear You Sigh", "Love Is Strong", "Rough Justice"... some of them might have been even hits, who knows... The singer is just so small, jealous person and no wonder the band has been doing so awfully commercialwise for decades now..

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-06 15:32 by Doxa.

Date: July 6, 2017 15:48

Doxa
stone4ever

Yeah, it is such a shame that they don't relaese as singles as songs like "wild Horses", "Tumbling Dice", "Angie", "Beast of Burden", "She's So Cold", "Start Me Up", "One Hit", "Almost hear You Sigh", "Love Is Strong", "Rough Justice"... some of them might have been even hits, who knows... The singer is just so small, jealous person and no wonder the band has been doing so awfully commercialwise for decades now..

- Doxa

Exactly, those are not the best tracks on those albums, do you want me to be a child and list all the songs that are better on those albums. You just love listing things. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-07 00:24 by stone4ever.

Date: July 6, 2017 15:57

stone4ever
Doxa
stone4ever

- Doxa

Exactly, those are not the best tracks on those albums, do you want me to be a child and list all the songs that are better on those albums. It's for nerds and anoraks, you just love listing things. Doesn't prove anything, grow up.

I think the point Doxa was responding to was about you saying the Stones don't release Keith songs as singles, riffie, when of course they release a lot of Keith songs as singles.

Date: July 6, 2017 16:02

Gimme shelter, YGTS, Midnight Rambler, Black Limousine, Tops, If You Can't Rock Me, All Down The Line, Monkey Man, Stray Cat Blues, Crazy Mama, Hand Of Fate, Time Waits For No One, songs like that should have been released as singles.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-07 00:23 by stone4ever.

Date: July 6, 2017 16:07

LongBeachArena72
stone4ever
Doxa
stone4ever

- Doxa

Exactly, those are not the best tracks on those albums, do you want me to be a child and list all the songs that are better on those albums. It's for nerds and anoraks, you just love listing things. Doesn't prove anything, grow up.

I think the point Doxa was responding to was about you saying the Stones don't release Keith songs as singles, riffie, when of course they release a lot of Keith songs as singles.

I was saying that the Stones don't release their best material as singles. I said Gimme Shelter didn't get released because Keith Wrote it. IT'S A DEMOCRATIC DECISION BUT IT'S CRAP. I was trying to say the Stones are unlike any other band, the songs they don't release are better than the released ones. It's a bonus.

Date: July 6, 2017 16:28

Doxa
stone4ever

- Doxa[/quote

stone4ever
I see what you mean Doxa I I just made a right dick of myself. Thanks for pointing that out to me LB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-06 16:33 by stone4ever.

Date: July 6, 2017 16:31

stone4ever
I see what you mean, I just made a right dick of myself. Thanks for pointing that out LB

You have that in common with all of the rest of us, riffie!

Date: July 6, 2017 17:00

Haha, don't worry Riffie.. one can prefer whatever songs in albums over their single choices, but your suggestion that Keith's songs are neglected has no evidential base. I even forgot one of the most obvious ones from my list, "Happy"... (the b-side was, by the way, "All Down The Line").

That said, the logic of picking up a certain song for a single release has a bit different one than suiting for an album. The most important being that of having a kind of commercial, radio-friendly appeal, having a 'hit potential' so to say. The 'England's Newest Hitmakers' have traditionally had a good ear for that, and their chart success all the way to the 80's speaks volumes of some competence in that field. I don't think one needs to be any kind of Einstein to understand why they, for example, chose "Start Me Up" and "Waiting On A Friend" over "Black Limousine" and "Tops" to promote TATTOO YOU... It could be that hadn't they made that choice 'right', I wouldn't be here writing anything today (which wouldn't be any loss, though...)

- Doxa, a proud member of "Start Me Up" generation

Date: July 6, 2017 17:14

By the way, I recall reading somewhere that they were actually thinking in some point about releasing "Neighbours" as a leading single of TATTOO YOU. As we know, they actually ended up doing a promo film for that, indicating they thought the song have some higher profile, but still me thinks that would have sounded an odd choice. Most likely I wouldn't be here now haha...

- Doxa

Date: July 6, 2017 17:36

Doxa
By the way, I recall reading somewhere that they were actually thinking in some point about releasing "Neighbours" as a leading single of TATTOO YOU. As we know, they actually ended up doing a promo film for that, indicating they thought the song have some higher profile, but still me thinks that would have sounded an odd choice. Most likely I wouldn't be here now haha...

- Doxa
y

Start Me Up Was obviously the right choice. But I think if you look back at their career they have gone for safe bets, possibly down to the record companies and the pressure to keep songs short to get more air play. But looking back bands like Queen with Bohemian Rhapsody pulled it off. Thanks for the lesson today Doxy, you know your Stones man.

Date: July 6, 2017 17:55

stone4ever
Doxa

- Doxa
y

Start Me Up Was obviously the right choice. But I think if you look back at their career they have gone for safe bets, possibly down to the record companies and the pressure to keep songs short to get more air play. But looking back bands like Queen with Bohemian Rhapsody pulled it off. Thanks for the lesson today Doxy, you know your Stones man.

Yeah, I think the reason why they didn't relaese such anthem-like numbers like "Sympathy FOr The Devil" and "Gimme Shelter" as singles was at least partly to do with their length and probably a bit too ambitious nature. But at the same time the probably wanted them to be more associated to those very albums in which they were released, both having a huge profile and role in opening the albums. The Stones were seriously transforming from a singles-band to an albums-band. Though generally the singles are made to promote albums but at that particular time the concept of album as an artistic whole of its own had just achieved its status, and probably they were thinking that nothing should stand on its way, like a 'cheap' radio-friendly single... That is to say, to get those great songs like "Gimme Shelter" and "Sympathy", which naturally would get air-play despite not being single sides, and they would promote them in tv shows, one needs to buy the whole album to get them... Anyway, LET IT BLEED, despite having any 'direct' single in it, sold much better than their earlier albums. I don't think the least to do with having "Gimme Shelter" in it...

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-06 17:58 by Doxa.

Date: July 6, 2017 18:37

Doxa
stone4ever
Doxa

- Doxa
y

Yeah, I think the reason why they didn't relaese such anthem-like numbers like "Sympathy FOr The Devil" and "Gimme Shelter" as singles was at least partly to do with their length and probably a bit too ambitious nature. But at the same time the probably wanted them to be more associated to those very albums in which they were released, both having a huge profile and role in opening the albums. The Stones were seriously transforming from a singles-band to an albums-band. Though generally the singles are made to promote albums but at that particular time the concept of album as an artistic whole of its own had just achieved its status, and probably they were thinking that nothing should stand on its way, like a 'cheap' radio-friendly single... That is to say, to get those great songs like "Gimme Shelter" and "Sympathy", which naturally would get air-play despite not being single sides, and they would promote them in tv shows, one needs to buy the whole album to get them... Anyway, LET IT BLEED, despite having any 'direct' single in it, sold much better than their earlier albums. I don't think the least to do with having "Gimme Shelter" in it...
Loop
- Doxa

Yes that's true,
Now getting back to the songs that they release as singles lol Generally over years, not any song in particular , I find myself disappointed. It's like Oh I wish they had released this one instead. As huge as their success has been, it could have been better had they taken more chances. Perhaps they could have had a better fan base. Then when they toured the audience would have been exited and prepared for anything they played, like the audiences Dylan receives. It would have prevented this situation of needing to play the same Warhorses again and again. This audience would still be hugely popular but more knowledgeable. Bowies audiences didn't leave him no matter how many times he changed his formula. In this sense the Stones show insecurity, they feared taking chances.
It's all water under the bridge now of course.
Shit man they needed me as their manager hehe.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-06 19:10 by stone4ever.

Date: July 6, 2017 18:59

I hadn't realized, or maybe must have forgotten, that Happy was released as a single?!

I do recall hearing it on the radio all the time, but can't be sure if that was right after or well after the release of Exile. It was a highlight on Made in the Shade when I bought that in '75, but really all tracks on that album are highlights. Studio version of Happy is a top 10 Stones tune in my book - maybe top 5 depending on the day.

From wiki:

"Happy" is the tenth track on The Rolling Stones' 1972 album Exile on Main St. and features Keith Richards on lead vocals.
Released as the second single from the album in July 1972, "Happy" entered the Billboard Hot 100 at No. 69 on 15 July 1972 and reached No. 22 on 19 August 1972.

And I see that All Down the Line was the B-side?!!!!

Hmmm...maybe that should have been an A side and released as a 3rd single!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-06 19:04 by Hairball.

Date: July 6, 2017 19:30

Hairball
I hadn't realized, or maybe must have forgotten, that Happy was released as a single?!

I do recall hearing it on the radio all the time, but can't be sure if that was right after or well after the release of Exile. It was a highlight on Made in the Shade when I bought that in '75, but really all tracks on that album are highlights. Studio version of Happy is a top 10 Stones tune in my book - maybe top 5 depending on the day.

From wiki:

"Happy" is the tenth track on The Rolling Stones' 1972 album Exile on Main St. and features Keith Richards on lead vocals.
Released as the second single from the album in July 1972, "Happy" entered the Billboard Hot 100 at No. 69 on 15 July 1972 and reached No. 22 on 19 August 1972.

I had 'Made In The Shade' LP and 'Sucking in the 70's' LP
Who knew vinyl would come back? And Exile LP my favorite of all time.
We are reminiscing on here now impatient restless fans 2017

Date: July 6, 2017 19:44

35love
Hairball

From wiki:

I had 'Made In The Shade' LP and 'Sucking in the 70's' LP
Who knew vinyl would come back? And Exile LP my favorite of all time.
We are reminiscing on here now impatient restless fans 2017

Honestly I never knew vinyl would come back, and am glad it did, but I never parted with any of it with the onslaught of cd's and the "death of vinyl records" as many headlines claimed at the time. In fact, it took me 10 years to buy my first cd after they were already a common product - it was an import reggae compilation of rarities which wasn't available on vinyl or cassette...ONLY cd!!! Well that opened a can of worms, but I also saw the light as far as convenience - playing in car on multi disc player, skipping tracks back and forth on a whim, smaller, etc. Anyways, still have my original vinyl copy of Made in the Shade - scratchy and tattered cover, and it's like a badge of honor of surviving technology and sticking to your guns.

Anyhow, did someone say new Stones album in 2017? winking smiley
And now I'm reading serious speculation about a new Mick solo record as well!
Maybe Ronnie will also release a new solo album!

Date: July 6, 2017 20:35

Hairball

From wiki:

The second single from Exile.

Date: July 6, 2017 20:44

DandelionPowderman
Hairball

From wiki:

The second single from Exile.

Yes, that is in my post above as highlighted in bold. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-06 20:44 by Hairball.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 6, 2017 22:16

stone4ever
Sorry Rocky it was me who said i think its fake news, i didn't see your original post, in light of what Mick has said in 2015 its not fake news.
I'm sticking my neck out here, i don't think Mick has a solo album up his sleeve, i think he is struggling creatively, its been this way for ten years. 40 demo's sure, but do they cut the mustard, are they good enough.
I hope i'm wrong though, i will take a Mick solo album as a plus these days, time is running out for the Stones, i'll take what ever i can from any of them at this stage.

I didn't take offense at your remark, stone4ever. It was the second time in a week I've heard the label applied to something I posted and I just wanted to reiterate that I'm speculating only. I don't even know if the live album this Christmas is legit. That's news unique to The Daily Mail as far as I know. Likewise, the Mick solo speculation is because of the music video mentioned on social media. For all we know it could be a new Stones video or something else altogether. Whatever it is, if it was shot this week, we'll know about the track within the next few weeks. They are certainly doing a good job keeping a lid on everything and making sure everyone (Universal, British Grove, the organization, family and friends) tells a variation on the same story. Best guy to trust is Soldatti and even he's only as good as what he's told and how he summarizes it.

The desire for concrete news has certainly made many of us harsh critics of what does get communicated. Really all we've got is a new studio album with the usual mix of familiar Stones with the latest musical fads. Some of it might be more experimental than just jumping on trends, but who knows? Some people think "Juiced" is experimental when I think it was a bad techno-style mix that largely spoiled what should have been a good track. I think "Moon is Up" is experimental, but others think it was a self-conscious attempt to appear avant-garde that failed.

In the end, I just want new songs even if I bitch about the fact that there's too much filler and only a handful of good tunes. If there's one thing IORR teaches us, it's that even when that's the consensus, few of us agree on which handful of tracks are the good ones.

And on the topic of weird opinions...I think EMOTIONAL RESCUE is an underrated album. I don't much care for DIRTY WORK but prefer it to A BIGGER BANG and first single aside, I thought PRIMITIVE COOL was a great album. There isn't an album these guys have put out (together or apart) that I think is completely worthless. I even enjoy Bill Wyman's third solo album.

Date: July 6, 2017 23:41

Rocky Dijon
stone4ever

I didn't take offense at your remark, stone4ever. It was the second time in a week I've heard the label applied to something I posted and I just wanted to reiterate that I'm speculating only. I don't even know if the live album this Christmas is legit. That's news unique to The Daily Mail as far as I know. Likewise, the Mick solo speculation is because of the music video mentioned on social media. For all we know it could be a new Stones video or something else altogether. Whatever it is, if it was shot this week, we'll know about the track within the next few weeks. They are certainly doing a good job keeping a lid on everything and making sure everyone (Universal, British Grove, the organization, family and friends) tells a variation on the same story. Best guy to trust is Soldatti and even he's only as good as what he's told and how he summarizes it.

The desire for concrete news has certainly made many of us harsh critics of what does get communicated. Really all we've got is a new studio album with the usual mix of familiar Stones with the latest musical fads. Some of it might be more experimental than just jumping on trends, but who knows? Some people think "Juiced" is experimental when I think it was a bad techno-style mix that largely spoiled what should have been a good track. I think "Moon is Up" is experimental, but others think it was a self-conscious attempt to appear avant-garde that failed.

In the end, I just want new songs even if I bitch about the fact that there's too much filler and only a handful of good tunes. If there's one thing IORR teaches us, it's that even when that's the consensus, few of us agree on which handful of tracks are the good ones.

And on the topic of weird opinions...I think EMOTIONAL RESCUE is an underrated album. I don't much care for DIRTY WORK but prefer it to A BIGGER BANG and first single aside, I thought PRIMITIVE COOL was a great album. There isn't an album these guys have put out (together or apart) that I think is completely worthless. I even enjoy Bill Wyman's third solo album.

That's cool Rocky, i didn't want to offend you of all people.
I like the way you come to your conclusions about things, you are very intuitive and you read between the lines, something i do too but i don't have any contacts unfortunately, i just look at what happened in the past with this band and history usually repeats itself. The Stones while secretive are very predictable lol.
I'm actually exited by the prospect of a solo album from Mick, plus this could trigger another album from Woody and Keith in the not too distant future.
The fake news thing is tongue in cheek actually, i keep saying it at home , its my Trump impression. I must stop using that one eye rolling smiley

I agree that no Stone has ever made anything not worth the purchase and that goes for all the live stuff too.

On Primitive Cool there's three tracks i forgot about until recently that are great. Party Doll, Throwaway and say You Will.

Its been a blast hanging out on the Mick solo thread, i learned a lot about Mick from the guys and girls here, like Mick isn't jealous of Keith to the extent i thought he was, especially when it comes to the music, he certainly wasn't in the first decade.
Mick is a hard one to work out , full of contradictions, i just hope he and Keith pull a magical surprise out of the bag with this new album, we can almost feel it in the air, people are getting a buzz from the build up to it, its as though we are channeling their thoughts, its going to be amazing and different at the same time.smiling smiley

Date: July 7, 2017 01:21

Somewhere back this thread I read the RS magazine review of 'Primitive Cool'
(I'll paste it below) and the review was inticing, I considered having a full listen to the album again, but, I don't know... seems dated, lol.
I want present day Mick. I see the video shoot involved a Bollywood actress,
I will confess right here (on this goofy thread)
'Bend It Like Beckham' movie soundtrack is one of my all time so go on then.

(((review RS magazine below)))

By Mikal Gilmore
September 14, 1987
With his venturesome second solo LP, Primitive Cool, Mick Jagger has finally reasserted his voice of rage and disdain — or at least he has managed to reinvoke it as much as may be possible for an artist so worldly and unsentimental.

For more than a generation, Jagger has peacocked his way across rock & roll bandstands, singing songs of violence, carnality, contempt and hubris with such a convincing leer that for many of us the singer seemed indivisible from the sentiments of his songs. But for roughly fifteen years now, Jagger has seemed increasingly to be trading hard-bitten intelligence and passion for something uncomfortably akin to bluster and bravado, making for a series of hackneyed albums and overly preening stage performances that reeked of self-parody. There was little amid the hyperbole and posturing that followed Exile on Main Street as affecting or memorable as Jagger's singing on "Fool to Cry" and "Memory Motel" — two mid-Seventies songs sung in the voice of a man losing the very dreams he could never afford to lose. It was a yearning and vulnerable style that we had never before heard from Jagger — the first voice that proved as persuasive as the sneering, fearful one that fueled his best 1960s work. And for a long time, it seemed to be a voice that we might never hear again.

Primitive Cool marks a rather surprising transfiguration — perhaps the most sweeping work of artistic self-redefinition by a major pop figure since Bob Dylan turned homey on Nashville Skyline or at least since Lou Reed revealed his lovey-dovey side on The Blue Mask. Whether one should view this turn as a sign of genuine personal change is another matter, because, truth be told, there has always been a good deal less of the real Mick Jagger in his music than many of us might care to realize. At the same time, Primitive Cool probably makes more biographical and emotional sense than anything Jagger has worked on since Some Girls — which, in retrospect, was a fairly mean-humored, self-serving effort that aimed to hit hard at all those things (mainly women and punks) that had temporarily made Jagger's world a little less manageable.

In word and spirit, Primitive Cool is about as contrary to Some Girls as you can imagine. Indeed, like Dylan's and Reed's change-of-heart milestones, Primitive Cool would appear to be the work of a man who has taken a long, tough look at the life that he has been leading and the world that he is living in and has decided to reexamine some of his values. It is tempting to believe that Jagger intends this as a heartfelt personal statement. Certainly it fits in with what we presume to know about the singer at this point: namely, that he is now something of a family man and that he no longer seems fully enamored of the Rolling Stones' raw-toned approach to life and music. But perhaps it's simply more accurate to say that in contrast to his perfunctory solo debut, She's the Boss, Primitive Cool sounds like a record Jagger had to leave the Stones to make. The melodies that he's produced by himself have more power and motion than most of what he has fashioned with Richards in over a decade, while his singing exhibits the sort of diversity and commitment that appeared to elude him shortly after Sticky Fingers.

Date: July 7, 2017 02:50

stone4ever
Rocky Dijon
stone4ever

That's cool Rocky, i didn't want to offend you of all people.
I like the way you come to your conclusions about things, you are very intuitive and you read between the lines, something i do too but i don't have any contacts unfortunately, i just look at what happened in the past with this band and history usually repeats itself. The Stones while secretive are very predictable lol.
I'm actually exited by the prospect of a solo album from Mick, plus this could trigger another album from Woody and Keith in the not too distant future.
The fake news thing is tongue in cheek actually, i keep saying it at home , its my Trump impression. I must stop using that one eye rolling smiley

I agree that no Stone has ever made anything not worth the purchase and that goes for all the live stuff too.

On Primitive Cool there's three tracks i forgot about until recently that are great. Party Doll, Throwaway and say You Will.

Its been a blast hanging out on the Mick solo thread, i learned a lot about Mick from the guys and girls here, like Mick isn't jealous of Keith to the extent i thought he was, especially when it comes to the music, he certainly wasn't in the first decade.
Mick is a hard one to work out , full of contradictions, i just hope he and Keith pull a magical surprise out of the bag with this new album, we can almost feel it in the air, people are getting a buzz from the build up to it, its as though we are channeling their thoughts, its going to be amazing and different at the same time.smiling smiley

I think 'Primitive Cool' is better than the sum of its parts. the individual songs often surprise me.
Used to like "say you will" alright, but I learned from an interview that it is mainly a D Stewart song.
Re Rocky's post - I like the first 3 B Wyman albums okay, because he was still a Stone, and I can feel it. But the real terrible album by him is 'Stuff'. I have tried a couple of times to go back and re=appraise it - and it's "nope, still sucks".

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 7, 2017 04:10

I love the song "Primitive Cool." That's interesting to learn about "Say You Will." I hadn't come across that before as far as I can recall. There's a couple okay Wyman tracks on his two seventies albums (and likewise on STUFF), but I thought his 1981-1982 tracks were his best work by far. Didn't much care for the last album. Best part was the title.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5758596061626364656667Next
Current Page: 62 of 67

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1925
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home