Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2223242526272829303132Next
Current Page: 29 of 32
Re: Havana Cuba 25-Mar-2016 Rolling Stones live updates
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 28, 2016 22:55

Kerry
Does anyone know more details about the green telecaster Keith is playing for JJF now? I've searched around but can't find any info on it.

Where did you search?

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: March 28, 2016 23:34

Let me echo latvianinexile great photos!! Glad you had such a wonderful time smiling smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 29, 2016 00:26

Don't think this has been posted yet ... [www.cubaheadlines.com]

ROCKMAN

Posted by: latvianinexile ()
Date: March 29, 2016 02:33

One has to know when to press the shutter button. These two shots were done in absolutely the same fraction of a second but from different angles.

Picture by Markus Zepf:

My shot:

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: March 29, 2016 03:46

Laughing about all the cash their making

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 29, 2016 05:12

I did an interview in Havana Cuba with Eduardo del Llano a few days before the show:

Solo es rock’n roll, pero me gusta
[oncubamagazine.com]

Also that publication have many other Stones-related articles including this one:

Good bye Obama… ¡Hello Rolling Stones!
[oncubamagazine.com]

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-29 05:15 by bv.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: March 29, 2016 05:33

Wow, good for you Bjornulf! Wish I could read Spanish...but I can certainly understand that picture. grinning smiley

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: March 29, 2016 06:16

What song or event occurred when Mick and Keith embraced one another? Always nice to see them "get along" on stage. A real change from past tours.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 29, 2016 06:19

Rockman
Great shot Bjornulf .....
But what are those two ladies doin' in the middle of the intersection...Dancing or fainting?????

I zoomed in on the background and this is how it looks, Havana street life outside the Capitolio:

I stayed the last night in Cuba at the Saratoga, as the Sevilla was full then, and I took these photos outside the Saratoga:

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-29 06:20 by bv.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: March 29, 2016 06:25

Like these photos of Cuba very much, BV!

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: March 29, 2016 10:57

A few more but no new songs.

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: March 29, 2016 11:06

Linda and The Captain of The Good Ship Rock N'Roll.
Glad they made it over there. smileys with beer

Date: March 29, 2016 11:20

crawdaddy
Thanks for all the great pics and articles everyone. smileys with beer

Found a few more videos taken by fans , as opposed to news stuff which has also been very good from all over the world.

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

That Paint It, Black was excellent! Sad to hear that the «synth harp» is back on Miss You, though..

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: March 29, 2016 11:31

DandelionPowderman
crawdaddy

Found a few more videos taken by fans , as opposed to news stuff which has also been very good from all over the world.

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

That Paint It, Black was excellent! Sad to hear that the «synth harp» is back on Miss You, though..

The Harp destroyed every version of miss you from the steel wheels tour for me. Sad that it's back because I really liked the versions since 2012

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: March 29, 2016 12:17

Ouch! I was sure they've been done with the synth harp afer urban Jungle tour. Maybe this time it was the saxophone playing that part? Still not cleart to me. Whatever it is, IMHO Sounds awful, though.

Posted by: lox ()
Date: March 29, 2016 16:00

Since I have been in Havana many times before on work duties, as soon as I heard about the rumours of a concert in Cuba I knew I had to go to this show. And I did! Over all it was a great experience, however the crashing of the gates around 2 pm was real mayhem and the waiting in the sun for hours was brutal... Furthermore it was so tight in the crowd that I didn't manage to sit down even once! But as álways the ordeal was worth it as soon as the concert started. It was a great show to a virgin (more or less) audience (one guy cried out for them to play "Satisfaction" during the first 30 minutes, he really wanted to hear that song!).
I have never seen so many people in one spot. After the concert, thousands of us went home on blocked streets, and where the streets were not blocked the traffic stalled because of the people on the roads everywhere! It was a really historic event and I am glad I was part of it.

Some pictures I took:

The Rolling Stones as their own Support act!

Posted by: Promoman2 ()
Date: March 29, 2016 17:18

lox
Since I have been in Havana many times before on work duties, as soon as I heard about the rumours of a concert in Cuba I knew I had to go to this show. And I did! Over all it was a great experience, however the crashing of the gates around 2 pm was real mayhem and the waiting in the sun for hours was brutal... Furthermore it was so tight in the crowd that I didn't manage to sit down even once! But as álways the ordeal was worth it as soon as the concert started. It was a great show to a virgin (more or less) audience (one guy cried out for them to play "Satisfaction" during the first 30 minutes, he really wanted to hear that song!).
I have never seen so many people in one spot. After the concert, thousands of us went home on blocked streets, and where the streets were not blocked the traffic stalled because of the people on the roads everywhere! It was a really historic event and I am glad I was part of it.

Some pictures I took:

Wow what a great pics.

The crashing of the gates was done in real 60's style. It was funny to watch the police and security people being taken by surprise when the gates at the FOS section were run over. Some guards tried to grab the first girls and others yelled: "go back!", but there was no stopping this stampede. I felt 16 again there for a second (but I'm not I turned 54 on the day of the concert).
Everything about the day was great. There so many friendly people from all corners of the world sharing water, rum and stories. The concert was amazing. The pain of being on my feet for over 16 hours felt like a sweet souvenir when I strolled the streets of Havana the next day. Cuba and Cubans are fantastic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-29 17:20 by Promoman2.

Date: March 29, 2016 17:43

hockenheim95
DandelionPowderman
crawdaddy

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

The Harp destroyed every version of miss you from the steel wheels tour for me. Sad that it's back because I really liked the versions since 2012

Out of Control:

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: March 29, 2016 17:55

So, any estimates in regards to how much this "free" concert cost the Stones?

Any idea what it would have cost to put it on?

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: March 29, 2016 18:10

1cdog

The Stones got paid. Not sure if they "profited" from the show but pretty safe to assume that they did not lose any money.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: March 29, 2016 18:12

mr_dja
1cdog

The Stones got paid. Not sure if they "profited" from the show but pretty safe to assume that they did not lose any money.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Oh OK. Thanks for the info.

I thought they financed the whole thing themselves and it was a free show.

My bad.

Date: March 29, 2016 18:22

1cdog
mr_dja
1cdog

Peace,
Mr DJA

My bad.

Free show for the attendees, yes.
Free show by the Stones, not so much.

There are more specific details in the Cuba Show "Rumor" thread about the who, how & why behind the sponsor (not sure what pages) but it wasn't the Stones who financed the show. They were "hired" so to speak.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: March 29, 2016 18:26

I did an interview in Havana Cuba with Eduardo del Llano a few days before the show:

Solo es rock’n roll, pero me gusta
[oncubamagazine.com]

Great article and nice to see that BV thought the best show of the tour was the one in Mexico City on my birthday when I was 7 rows from the front on the catwalk rail on Ronnie's side!!!

Date: March 29, 2016 18:34

mr_dja
1cdog
mr_dja
1cdog

Peace,
Mr DJA

My bad.

There are more specific details in the Cuba Show "Rumor" thread about the who, how & why behind the sponsor (not sure what pages) but it wasn't the Stones who financed the show. They were "hired" so to speak.

Peace,
Mr DJA

[www.nrc.nl]
[www.bloomberg.com]

Gregory Elias is the man that funded the event. In this interview he states clearly that the Stones themselves agreed to play for free. The production costs will have been between 4 and 8 million. Elias is a frequent visitor of Cuba and a businessman. I would not be surprised if after this event his business in and with Cuba will increase.

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: March 29, 2016 18:39

Here is a good video that shows the crowd entering.
Does not seem too bad.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: March 29, 2016 18:39

1cdog
mr_dja
1cdog

Peace,
Mr DJA

My bad.

A guy from Curacao is supposedly the one who got it all done. Gregory Elias.

My (random) neighbors at the show are friends of his. When he walked by to go to the VIP section he stopped to chat to them, so they for sure knew him.

They said he is a music nut, who even wrote some music in the past -- [rateyourmusic.com] -- But now a successful businessman. He runs the big music festival in Curacao. Apparently he "almost" landed McCartney a few years ago and has been trying to get the Stones.

My new friends reckon he paid for the Stones in Cuba in an effort to finally get the Stones to Curacao.

No idea how much of all this is true, but I believed it.

Date: March 29, 2016 19:35

Promoman2
mr_dja
1cdog
mr_dja
1cdog

Peace,
Mr DJA

My bad.

Peace,
Mr DJA

[www.nrc.nl]
[www.bloomberg.com]

Gregory Elias is the man that funded the event. In this interview he states clearly that the Stones themselves agreed to play for free. The production costs will have been between 4 and 8 million. Elias is a frequent visitor of Cuba and a businessman. I would not be surprised if after this event his business in and with Cuba will increase.

1st time I had heard that the Stones had waived their fee. Nice to "know" that all they charged for were the production costs. At least as much as we can know. Thanks for sharing the article (and thanks to whomever it was that invented the "translate" feature for internet browsers! - comes in REAL handy around here sometimes!)

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: March 29, 2016 22:51

with sssoul
Claire_M
P.S. What kind of guitar is Keith playing in the photos above - is that a Les Paul Jr. in tv yellow?! Nice!

He's using that one a lot lately, which is more than fine with me!
The Ratbag Boogie index has a thread about Keith's juniors where you can read all about it.

Thank you kindly, with sssoul. That was a lovely thread you pulled together with all those photos; you must be very well organized in your photo storage system.

I'm concerned to read about the "ass-paining bridge" on these guitars; that has cooled my ardor somewhat. Good to know beforehand though, no doubt.

Posted by: LovingCupola ()
Date: March 29, 2016 23:31

chriseganstar
What a great night... I must have been just behind you bv, on Keith's side. I just arrived back home in Cornwall and can't sleep yet, so many memories. Cuba and it's people got what they wanted, what they need, from the Stones. The owner of my Casa was in tears from start to finish, and I've never felt goose-bumps like it in my life at the start of Satisfaction, every hair standing on end. The crowd just went mental. The guys looked nervous at the start, hardly surprising. It just got better and better. Estimates of the crowd ? Who cares, every Cuban with a rock n roll heart was there, that's what matters. So glad to see Wendy, Gilles, Matt, everyone else at the Inglaterre, hope to see you all again very soon. God bless us all, we're so fortunate and I appreciate how lucky we are. Cuba is waking up, their time will come.
Cheers,
Chriseganstar

It was so great to meet you in person Chris if only briefly and to see you at the site the next day as well!

Usually I say I am never happier than when I am in the same building as the stones, but now I can say ...never happier than when I was in Havana at the same time & place as the Stones.

Take care, until next time
Wendy

Posted by: latvianinexile ()
Date: March 29, 2016 23:41

Brstonesfan
What song or event occurred when Mick and Keith embraced one another? Always nice to see them "get along" on stage. A real change from past tours.

After finishing Midnight Rambler and then again after Satisfaction.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2223242526272829303132Next
Current Page: 29 of 32

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1196
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home