Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7
Re: Keith on BBC Radio 4 Desert Island Discs Oct 25
Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: October 26, 2015 02:53

I thought it was a bitchy thing to do to bring up the death of a child like that.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 26, 2015 06:33

Very unlikely that the question about Tara would have been sprung on him unexpectedly - the very fact that he handled it so well shows that it wasn't. The interview for DID is in depth and not live, so it was almost certainly edited down from a longer original - probably the journalistic powers-that-be realised that the Tara bit was "human-interest" gold and kept it in while trimming down bits of better-known stuff. The rationale would be that Keith had chosen to put Tara's death in the public domain by writing about it in Life, and it was therefore a legitimate subject to raise in a serious interview. Yes, it was unkind to go into such a painful subject - but when were journalists ever kind or unintrusive?

As for the drugs bit, he said that he knew what he ought to say - that there was no correlation between drugs and his creation of music - but that to say so would be a lie.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 26, 2015 10:08

OK so people who are familiar with the show weren't put off by that question,
while those of us who had never listened to DID were expecting the interviewer to keep things light.
I do think that exact question wasn't known to Keith beforehand, since his answer was unrelated to what she asked,
but yeah he certainly must have agreed to the general outline of the interview beforehand, so ... no foul.

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: October 26, 2015 11:27

The USB of DID is an apparantly light programme revealing a surprising amounts about an individual.
If you go through the interviews all sorts of difficult stuff comes out about childhood, death and trauma - some of the wartime memories are particularly tough.
This dichotomy is what has made this programme last for 40 years. It's also why very private people don't risk it - very hard to hide in this one - but it is prerecorded so in the end the subject does have a veto - it's not investigative journalism.
DID is one of the middle class aspirations ( like appearing on The Today programme on radio 4 or getting a gong )

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: October 26, 2015 13:11

I liked everything about the program, but the opening music. Middle class aspirations and then some. grinning smiley

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: October 26, 2015 13:23

I have posted on FB to my friends to listen but forgot myself eye rolling smiley
Nice set list anyway. And nice for RON.
The Gregory Isaac is a must on my spoti selection for a while

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: October 26, 2015 13:25

EJM
The USB of DID is an apparantly light programme revealing a surprising amounts about an individual.
If you go through the interviews all sorts of difficult stuff comes out about childhood, death and trauma - some of the wartime memories are particularly tough.
This dichotomy is what has made this programme last for 40 years...

I agree with your sentiment, although the programme is actually 73 years old and in that time, surprisingly, it has only had four different hosts.

Olly.

Re: Keith on Desert Island Discs
Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: October 26, 2015 13:43

Deltics
HonkyTonkJan
keefriffhards
Keith did this years ago, i tapped it off the radio in about 83'
It was great song choices from him, i listened to them for years.
It will be interesting to see if he picks different songs this time.

Last time he chose song's like Take Another Piece Of MY Heart , What becomes of the broken hearted , If I Don't Have you by Gregory Issacs. Stuff like that

PS It might not have been Dessert Island disks but he did pick 10 songs including chuck berry and Ronnie Wood, I can feel the fire, if i remember correctly

Oh and a song from little Walter, the rest will come to me as the day comes on

Yes - I remember this. In fact I taped it and played it regularly. The other songs he picked were : Are You Lonely For Me Baby by Freddy Jackson, War in a Babylon by Max Romeo & the Upsetters, Money for Nothing by Dire Straits, What's Love Got To Do With It by Tina Turner.

The latter two were fairly modern by Keith's standards, and I remember thinking he had probably been asked to include a couple of contemporary songs. I think the Ronnie Wood song may have been Crotch Music rather than I Can Feel the Fire.

Have racked my brains, and I don't think there was a Chuck Berry song, which surprised me at the time. There was possibly and old country song or possibly Buddy Holly or Elvis but I can't be certain.

Not "Desert Island Discs" but "My Top Ten" a one hour programme on Radio 1 with Andy Peebles. It was originally broadcast on May 25 1986.

The songs he chose were:
1. Otis Redding - Try A Little Tenderness
2. Freddie Scott - Are You Lonely For Me Baby
3. Little Walter - Key To The Highway
4. Erma Franklin - Piece Of My Heart
5. Jimmy Ruffin - What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted
6. Max Romeo - War Ina Babylon
7. Dire Straits - Money For Nothing
8. Gregory Isaacs - If I Don't Have You
9. Tina Turner - What's Love Got To Do With It
10. Ron Wood - Crotch Music

You can download it here:
[we.tl]
Link is good until October 31.

you forgot AARON NEVILLE

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: October 26, 2015 14:19

EJM
This dichotomy is what has made this programme last for 40 years. It's also why very private people don't risk it - very hard to hide in this one - but it is prerecorded so in the end the subject does have a veto - it's not investigative journalism.
DID is one of the middle class aspirations ( like appearing on The Today programme on radio 4 or getting a gong )

I don't listen to Desert Island Discs very often but EJM is right: that sort of questioning is pretty much par for the course, and doesn't really say much about the interviewer's personal style. If memory serves, Clapton appeared on the show back when Sue Lawley was presenting it and was likewise asked about his son. For NL and the other non-Brits in this thread, I think it's worth noting that although large parts of the British media are utterly appalling in many ways (and indeed there is an ongoing debate about ethics in the press), most people wouldn't consider Radio 4 to be part of the problem.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 26, 2015 14:22

Olly
EJM

I agree with your sentiment, although the programme is actually 73 years old and in that time, surprisingly, it has only had four different hosts.

- and has used the same opening music all that time - which accounts for its old-time nature.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: October 26, 2015 14:37

Green Lady
Olly
EJM

- and has used the same opening music all that time - which accounts for its old-time nature.

Yes, that was the dead giveaway.

Re: Keith on Desert Island Discs
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: October 26, 2015 18:33

toomuchforme
Deltics
HonkyTonkJan
keefriffhards
Keith did this years ago, i tapped it off the radio in about 83'
It was great song choices from him, i listened to them for years.
It will be interesting to see if he picks different songs this time.

Last time he chose song's like Take Another Piece Of MY Heart , What becomes of the broken hearted , If I Don't Have you by Gregory Issacs. Stuff like that

PS It might not have been Dessert Island disks but he did pick 10 songs including chuck berry and Ronnie Wood, I can feel the fire, if i remember correctly

Oh and a song from little Walter, the rest will come to me as the day comes on

Yes - I remember this. In fact I taped it and played it regularly. The other songs he picked were : Are You Lonely For Me Baby by Freddy Jackson, War in a Babylon by Max Romeo & the Upsetters, Money for Nothing by Dire Straits, What's Love Got To Do With It by Tina Turner.

The latter two were fairly modern by Keith's standards, and I remember thinking he had probably been asked to include a couple of contemporary songs. I think the Ronnie Wood song may have been Crotch Music rather than I Can Feel the Fire.

Have racked my brains, and I don't think there was a Chuck Berry song, which surprised me at the time. There was possibly and old country song or possibly Buddy Holly or Elvis but I can't be certain.

Not "Desert Island Discs" but "My Top Ten" a one hour programme on Radio 1 with Andy Peebles. It was originally broadcast on May 25 1986.

The songs he chose were:
1. Otis Redding - Try A Little Tenderness
2. Freddie Scott - Are You Lonely For Me Baby
3. Little Walter - Key To The Highway
4. Erma Franklin - Piece Of My Heart
5. Jimmy Ruffin - What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted
6. Max Romeo - War Ina Babylon
7. Dire Straits - Money For Nothing
8. Gregory Isaacs - If I Don't Have You
9. Tina Turner - What's Love Got To Do With It
10. Ron Wood - Crotch Music

You can download it here:
[we.tl]
Link is good until October 31.

you forgot AARON NEVILLE

No I didn't. Read it again, I was referring to "My Top Ten" from 1986.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: October 26, 2015 23:50

Naturalust
crawdaddy
'As much as I was also moved by Keith's answer to the question about Tara, I thought it was in pretty bad taste to bring it up. I mean wtf?! '

Keith would know exactly what questions would be asked by Kirsty, and nothing would be unexpected about it before.

Everything went to plan I'm sure.

Perhaps you're right but it's hard for me to imagine Keith would be pleased about bringing up such events. Just because he chose to answer and possibly accept such a question doesn't make me any more comfortable about it. In any case it seemed that last question about narrowing it down to one disc caught him off guard so perhaps it wasn't as tightly choreographed as some believe. Perhaps she just outlined the format, said she would ask him some questions about his life and career mixed with the stock questions about the discs. Who knows?

In any case Keith handled himself wonderfully and it was nice to hear him talk. Thanks for posting the link crawdaddy.

Sorry but there is no way this could have caught Keith off guard. This question is asked of every single Desert Islander along with the book and luxury item, both of which he was clearly prepared for. I appreciate you're not familiar with the programme but that's the formula and guests are well prepped beforehand.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 27, 2015 00:14

rebelrebel
Naturalust
crawdaddy
'As much as I was also moved by Keith's answer to the question about Tara, I thought it was in pretty bad taste to bring it up. I mean wtf?! '

Keith would know exactly what questions would be asked by Kirsty, and nothing would be unexpected about it before.

Everything went to plan I'm sure.

Perhaps you're right but it's hard for me to imagine Keith would be pleased about bringing up such events. Just because he chose to answer and possibly accept such a question doesn't make me any more comfortable about it. In any case it seemed that last question about narrowing it down to one disc caught him off guard so perhaps it wasn't as tightly choreographed as some believe. Perhaps she just outlined the format, said she would ask him some questions about his life and career mixed with the stock questions about the discs. Who knows?

In any case Keith handled himself wonderfully and it was nice to hear him talk. Thanks for posting the link crawdaddy.

Sorry but there is no way this could have caught Keith off guard. This question is asked of every single Desert Islander along with the book and luxury item, both of which he was clearly prepared for. I appreciate you're not familiar with the programme but that's the formula and guests are well prepped beforehand.

Well in that case it was a very disingenuous response from Keith..."you're killing me man" etc. I'm guessing Keith indeed had his disc list prepared ahead of time but was more shooting from the hip about most of the other stuff. But you are right about my unfamiliarity with the show. In any case you can only prep a guy like Keith as much as he wants to be prepped, and it's unlikely Keith actually listens to the program himself, you get the feeling he is opinionated and set in his ways to the point of not giving a toss what other people listen to. lol

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 27, 2015 00:19

Just found out that The Grand Ole Opry beats DID into second place.
At the end of this month, it celebrates 90 years of broadcasts.
They should ask Keith to perform a Hank Williams number?

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: October 27, 2015 01:39

There was lots of stuff he didn't talk about such as his wife's cancer and his separation from Angela and the loss of marlon's childhood to being his roadie so I'm sure he only spoke about what he felt able to speak about

Posted by: Librarian ()
Date: October 27, 2015 05:47

I truly appreciate and like Keith, but I think it would be great to hear him stone cold sober. But maybe it's his medicine, his crutch, how he gets by and I get that. I guess, I wish he didn't have reason to use.

ps
I don't think he mention CH on this show or the recent guitar one either. Weird.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-27 05:48 by Librarian.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: October 27, 2015 09:37

The fact is that Desert Island Discs does go into the castaway's personal life, but in a good way. It isn't overly intrusive, with the exception of Sue Lawley asking Gordon Brown if he were gay.

Radio 4, in the main, is a UK national treasure, i.e. with the Today Programme, In Our Time, The Shipping Forecast etc. Keith, nowadays, also happens to be a national treasure. It is also quite a quirky radio station with shows like You & Yours, Midweek, Start The Week, Down The Line etc. Comedy like Little Britain got its first airing on Radio 4, and Radio 4 continues to actively promote comedy.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: October 28, 2015 02:33

Personally, though risky to ask, I thought the interviewer posed the question with the utmost taste. Keith's answer was more forthcoming and detailed, and from his depths compared to almost anything he had ever said or written on it. It gave me the chills. Like withsssoul, I almost cried, and the interviewer changed the subject after Keith expressed a couple of his feelings on the matter. It reminded me of the similarities between Mick and Keith, wanting to perform after a family member's death, although Keith's case was far more poignant, a tragedy.

The interviewer had gained his trust and produced very interesting answers, with her low-key, yet warm style of questioning. He sincerely thanked her for talking with him at the end. To me, he is giving ever more revealing interviews these days, perhaps becoming more comfortable in the role and with himself. I have seen him cut short a line of questioning or refuse to answer, so he is not shy about that.

In any case, thanks to everyone involved in making the interview happen, and to Dannyboy for the link.

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: October 28, 2015 03:15

angee, I am cringing thinking of such questions like that one and the one to Clapton about the death of his son Conner asked with the "utmost taste". The very nature of the questions are distasteful, imo, no matter how you ask them. Reminds me of Lucy asking Charlie Brown if he remembers the very moment his heart broke, with a bit of "could you remember the moment for us so we can all hear your heart break again?" Very tabloid-esque imo. I guess this is par for the course for British journalism and even some outlets here in the States but I will never approve, no matter how polite and kind the questions are phrased.

The only tasteful way to talk about what is possibly someones most painful and tragic event is something like "I heard about xxx, I'm truly sorry that happened to you, I know how you feel, is there anything I can do to help?", and even then only when the situation is right and not too terribly long after the even. It's not like this is news or anything.

Perhaps I am old fashioned or something, pretty surprised at the acceptance of that sort of thing. Blame the friggin' tabloids for making it acceptable...or something.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: October 28, 2015 03:40

NL, your mileage may vary, as we used to say online.
You wouldn't ask about L'Wren either, a person's partner for fourteen years. I think there's a way to do it. Perhaps tasteful is the wrong word, I will acknowledge.

I think we're talking past each other at this point. However, thank you for your consideration of other perspectives to date.

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-28 03:43 by angee.

Posted by: Josh2131 ()
Date: October 28, 2015 06:13

I downloaded all the songs and made them an album on my iTunes...it makes for a very nice half hour playlist. The songs flow well and the groove is very relaxing.

josh.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 28, 2015 07:03

Naturalust
Perhaps I am old fashioned or something, pretty surprised at the acceptance of that sort of thing.

As someone who has lived in England and whose also married to a lovely English woman, I think the British can be a harder and tougher bunch who along with their great successes and achievements have also endured alot of trouble and strife for hundreds and hundreds of years...much longer than America has even existed. They've learned to take it on the chin, to keep calm and carry on, and to not shy away from the sometimes grim realities that we as humans have to endure in general. It's not as if they downplay or belittle bad situations, it's more like they face it and deal with it. It's all part of life. Just my opinion based on my own experiences, and don't want to wrongly define what it is to be British, and/or what is the proper etiquette in dealing with certain issues. But I've witnessed the toughness firsthand, and am proud to know that I have British blood flowing through my veins. Along with having English ancestry from Durham, I also have some Scottish heritage and the motto of my ancestor's clan (Duncan) is 'disce pati' which can either be interpeted as 'learn to endure' or 'learn to suffer' - a motto that has helped build my character ever since I was very young.

Back to the Desert Island music picks, I believe Keith made some absolutely great choices! thumbs up

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: October 28, 2015 21:14

Hairball
Naturalust
Perhaps I am old fashioned or something, pretty surprised at the acceptance of that sort of thing.

As someone who has lived in England and whose also married to a lovely English woman, I think the British can be a harder and tougher bunch who along with their great successes and achievements have also endured alot of trouble and strife for hundreds and hundreds of years...much longer than America has even existed. They've learned to take it on the chin, to keep calm and carry on, and to not shy away from the sometimes grim realities that we as humans have to endure in general. It's not as if they downplay or belittle bad situations, it's more like they face it and deal with it. It's all part of life. Just my opinion based on my own experiences, and don't want to wrongly define what it is to be British, and/or what is the proper etiquette in dealing with certain issues. But I've witnessed the toughness firsthand, and am proud to know that I have British blood flowing through my veins. Along with having English ancestry from Durham, I also have some Scottish heritage and the motto of my ancestor's clan (Duncan) is 'disce pati' which can either be interpeted as 'learn to endure' or 'learn to suffer' - a motto that has helped build my character ever since I was very young.

Perfectly explained and wholly true, well from another Englishman. The whole point in Kirsty's question was to bring to light how someone like Keith Richard's coped with something as horrific as Tara's death. Most of us knew the answer to that as it is Stones folk law (I was at that Les Abbatoir gig but of course knew nothing of what Keith was going through) but to some it would be quite something to get a glimpse into how a super star rock guitaist also a heroin addict dealt with it - ie to play the gig, and to play it well, to channel the grief into a perfomance.

I do think that generally us Brits have a very tough inner core and stoical approach to life...it should be noted that a lot of our acceptance of the bad things in life is often done with a weirdly twisted sense of humour..gallows humour as it is often referred to..not saying it's a good or bad thing, it's just the way different cultures and societies evolve and adapt.

I thought it was one of the best Keith interviews, and touched on many aspects that are often overlooked in favour of more sensationalist rehashed revelations. Yes, if you are a hard core stones fan and read the books and other interviews, there was little, if anything new, but it will have been quite surprising tomany of the general radio 4 listeners who only know Keith as the sex, drugs and rock n roll anti establishment pirate!

Back to the Desert Island music picks, I believe Keith made some absolutely great choices! thumbs up

Date: October 28, 2015 21:35

Thanks for all the insights into British mentality, I've always been a bit fascinated with the Brits, musically, historically and sociologically they provide a deep well of interesting fodder, to say nothing their amazingly cool accents.

As far as Keith's coping mechanisms back in 1976, I think it's pretty safe to say his feelings were thoroughly padded in a haze of heroin and that tragic event probably contributed to his commitment to stay in the bubble. It's nice to think the channeling of his grief was so well accomplished by simply playing a show after he received the news but to be frank I think the drugs were his true coping mechanism at that time. I mean how much true feeling is even possible when you are a junkie with unlimited resources to maintain your habit? Just sayin....

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 28, 2015 22:55

And, sometimes not grieving at the time of the grievous event (due to whatever circumstances) means the grief may come up later in your life. A later event (having grandchildren, healing other areas of your life, etc.) may bring it on if it needs to be 'dealt' with-
Enough arm chair psychology outta me!
This is the 1 interview I haven't listened to (devour everything else) as I seem to have a mental block about listening to an audio only interview. I prefer to read, or video/ audio together.
And if all subjects are to be lined up contractually beforehand for an interview, it is curious the selection process of interviewee what's on/ off limits. It's probably a fine line to walk: staying the cool outlaw survior image verses beng honest about the very dark, desolate, destructive side of herion addiction.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 28, 2015 23:11

The thing is that the show would have been roughly pre-planned
questions included ... Doubt there's any way that the Tara
topic was just sprung on Keith.... Same as the music selection...

OH!!! so you like Extra Classic by Gregory Issacs? .... we just happen
ta happen to have a copy here by the desk ..... And must add that Extra
Classic is a truly wonderful lift up out of the sadness of the conversation

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 28, 2015 23:23

crumbling_mice
Hairball
Naturalust

Perfectly explained and wholly true, well from another Englishman. The whole point in Kirsty's question was to bring to light how someone like Keith Richard's coped with something as horrific as Tara's death. Most of us knew the answer to that as it is Stones folk law (I was at that Les Abbatoir gig but of course knew nothing of what Keith was going through) but to some it would be quite something to get a glimpse into how a super star rock guitaist also a heroin addict dealt with it - ie to play the gig, and to play it well, to channel the grief into a perfomance.

I do think that generally us Brits have a very tough inner core and stoical approach to life...it should be noted that a lot of our acceptance of the bad things in life is often done with a weirdly twisted sense of humour..gallows humour as it is often referred to..not saying it's a good or bad thing, it's just the way different cultures and societies evolve and adapt.

I thought it was one of the best Keith interviews, and touched on many aspects that are often overlooked in favour of more sensationalist rehashed revelations. Yes, if you are a hard core stones fan and read the books and other interviews, there was little, if anything new, but it will have been quite surprising tomany of the general radio 4 listeners who only know Keith as the sex, drugs and rock n roll anti establishment pirate!

Cheers crumbling_mice. thumbs up
(Just had to fix that quote to avoid any confusion as to who said what, when, and where).

Now if I could only get my wife to stop offering me a cup of tea ten times a day...maybe narrow it down to just 5 times a day.
It's been going on for over 10 years, and even when we're in the middle of a major disagreement, she'll pause to ask if I'd like a cup of tea!!!!! grinning smiley

Gotta love it!

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: October 28, 2015 23:46

Naturalust
...The very nature of the questions are distasteful, imo, no matter how you ask them...

There is nothing inherently distasteful about the question. Any distaste you have comes, as you acknowledge ('imo'), from an unfathomable belief that a question relating to death is somehow out of place in an interview.

How an adult, born and raised amidst modern Western culture (correct me if I'm wrong) can deem this sort of question 'distasteful' in the context of a formal, journalistic interview, is beyond me.

I appreciate the cultural differences between Britain and America, but, based on your reaction, I've massively underestimated just how large the gulf of understanding; of journalistic approach; of sensibility; of cultural and private sensitivity, is.

Such is my incredulity that I feel obliged to ask, in all seriousness...

...You trollin'?

Olly.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 28, 2015 23:49

Ha Ha, my husband's a Brit (transplanted to CA) I am Midwestern American also went to CA, I do not mess with that man's black tea! For a macho dude they're awfully fussy on that bloody tea (white cup, perfect boil, etc.!)
I'd comment further about the relief of a keep calm and carry on attitude compared to (emotional?) Americans, but I'd ruffle someone, I'm sure, and off topic (get merged maybe somewhere too)
Inspired now to have a listen to this despite my audio only quirk, thanks--

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1522
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home