Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7
Re: Keith on BBC Radio 4 Desert Island Discs Oct 25
Posted by: pike bishop ()
Date: October 25, 2015 17:23

Yes its certainly Keith"s month,with one hell of a great album and now DID.He"s always a joy to listen to.Slainte .

Posted by: herecomesrichard ()
Date: October 25, 2015 19:17

It was a good interview. I thought he handled the question about Tara with dignity and honesty.

Posted by: 06230 ()
Date: October 25, 2015 19:30

Scooby
The part when Keith was talking about the death of Tara was very moving. You could feel the emotion in his voice.

hey mate, i dont know ya are but i got it.

his voice said everyting.

we are lucky that he shares and he still can recall

i will admit, it kinda moved me

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: October 25, 2015 20:12

I always love to hear what he has been listening to...I already popped out to the library to get that book as well

I love Gregory Isaacs (sp??) but the synth drums wear on me.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 25, 2015 20:15

When he was talking about Tara he was saying things I've never heard him articulate before,
but his playing on that night told the same moving story. I almost cried listening to him today.

All kinds of love and joy and blessings on Keith, for good

Re: It's a lie that drugs help you to make great music, says Keith Richards: Wild man of rock's most shocking confession yet
Date: October 25, 2015 20:29

pepganzo
'There is really no correlation between drugs and music and how you perform it.'

thumbs up

But but but unless I totally misunderstood, what Keith said was that he knows he *should* say that,
but that if he said that it would be a lie. The newspaper got it backwards, unless I did. Please advise! :E

Re: It's a lie that drugs help you to make great music, says Keith Richards: Wild man of rock's most shocking confession yet
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 25, 2015 21:53

with sssoul
pepganzo
'There is really no correlation between drugs and music and how you perform it.'

thumbs up

But but but unless I totally misunderstood, what Keith said was that he knows he *should* say that,
but that if he said that it would be a lie. The newspaper got it backwards, unless I did. Please advise! :E

Says a man who still starts his days with a breakfast of weed from California and is rarely spotted in the evening without a stiff drink in his hand. It's hard to tell with Keith, I get the feeling he's never been completely sober for 50 years. There is no question there is a correlation between the drugs and the music Keith has played and created. He has spoken honestly about him retreating to the bathroom for a shot and an hour of working out the details and groove to songs. The drugs certainly effected the music (and the performances), imo. One only has to look at the 70's and early 80's performances to see the "correlation" in full effect. lol

I'm not advocating taking drugs to try to make music but the only lie here is that there is no correlation between the two. The substance of that correlation is certainly debatable..whether the music and/or writing is improved or diminished, etc.

Ronnie has said the drugs helped in the writing phase by freeing his mind up to otherwise unreachable possibilities and Mick has said it just took a lot longer to achieve the same results. In any case with the Stones, you can't separate the two. They were part of their whole experience.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-25 21:58 by Naturalust.

Date: October 25, 2015 21:57

But Keith didn't say there's no correlation!
He said he knows he's supposed to say there isn't, but that that would be a lie!

At least that's what I heard - please listen again before we accuse Keith of lying.
He's said himself often enough that there was a correlation and he didn't alter that in this interview.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 25, 2015 22:18

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 25, 2015 22:23

crawdaddy
I think this programme is always recorded and always very good.
A very short trailer here.

Keith

Fixed it for ya.

Date: October 25, 2015 22:31

Wee Wee Hours - 1955
You Win Again - Hank Williams - 1952
My True Story - Aaron Neville - 2013
Sugar on the Floor - Etta James - 1978
Are You Lonely For Me Baby? - Freddie Scott -1967
Extra Classic - Gregory Issacs -1977
The First Movement Spring, from Four Seasons - Vivaldi - 1720
Key to the Highway - Little Walter - 1958

Interesting to see the range of dates of Keith's selections, and although the Aaron Neville tune is recent it is still in the doo wop style of years ago. It's also interesting to me to see the relatively mellow nature of his selections, he is a softie at heart man.

With sssoul you are absolutely correct in your interpretation of what Keith said about drugs. He clearly said he "should" say there was no correlation but that "this was a lie", pretty obvious to me what he meant. I didn't mean to insinuate that Keith was lying, just that the Daily Mail article was a lie....wouldn't be the first time they got it wrong.

As far as "none of his kids have shown any interest in drugs"...that might be a bit of a stretch since he has admitted he sometimes gets weed from his girls, and of course it is public knowledge that one of his daughters was arrested with weed and prescription narcotics. I get the feeling Keith just doesn't view weed or alcohol as a drugs. No worries, what ever gets you through the night.

As much as I was also moved by Keith's answer to the question about Tara, I thought it was in pretty bad taste to bring it up. I mean wtf?!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-25 22:34 by Naturalust.

Date: October 25, 2015 22:49

Naturalust
With sssoul you are absolutely correct in your interpretation of what Keith said about drugs.
He clearly said he "should" say there was no correlation but that "this was a lie", pretty obvious to me what he meant.
I didn't mean to insinuate that Keith was lying, just that the Daily Mail article was a lie.
Wouldn't be the first time they got it wrong.

... As much as I was also moved by Keith's answer to the question about Tara,
I thought it was in pretty bad taste to bring it up. I mean wtf?!

Thanks for clarifying, Naturalust. The Daily Mail needs its ears cleaned.

I too was badly surprised that the interviewer asked about Tara,
but in the end, other than that part there was not much we haven't heard before.
I reckon the woman knows what suits her audience, who may not be familiar with Classic Keith :E

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-25 22:51 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: October 25, 2015 23:05

Naturalust
As much as I was also moved by Keith's answer to the question about Tara, I thought it was in pretty bad taste to bring it up. I mean wtf?!

Why?

Olly.

Date: October 25, 2015 23:16

Her actual question seemed to be something like: "You've written that your baby's death left a cold place inside you
that never goes away. Everyone who's ever lost a child understands that feeling. So Keith, do you still feel that way?"

That's not verbatim, but it was rather callous. Keith's response didn't address what she asked
but something I guess he wanted to say.

Date: October 25, 2015 23:22

Olly
Naturalust

Why?

If you seriously need an answer to this question Olly I'm a bit worried about you. But to be nice I'll spell it out for you.

This is a show and a celebration of the music that still moves Keith, to ask him about probably the most painful incident in his life, the loss of a child no less, not only has nothing to do with the spirit of the show but it obviously is in bad taste and a cheap shot to create an emotional moment. It obviously made Keith sad to relate and remember the story and I find it very distasteful to bring up such a very personal and tragic event in the course of a very public and completely unrelated interview. Common courtesy dictates a kinder and more thoughtful interaction to this distinguished guest. The lady had obviously read the story in Life, not sure what her intentions were but it was clearly disrespectful, imo. Keith handled it well but the risk of him breaking down was certainly inherent, how would you have felt then? I would have felt terrible. It was hard enough hearing the pain in his voice. Friggin' tabloid mentality from a arguably well respected institution like Desert Island Disks? That woman lost some respect from me and absolutely guaranteed she will never get a similar interview from Mick. It is analogous to asking Mick about L'Wren's tragic death.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-25 23:29 by Naturalust.

Posted by: GuessWho ()
Date: October 25, 2015 23:35

I would imagine that interviews for Desert Island Dics are not done cold.

There was probably a pre-interview with a researcher and the topics to be covered, as well as the music being chosen, would have been agreed in advance.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 25, 2015 23:38

Naturalust
Olly
Naturalust

Why?

If you seriously need an answer to this question Olly I'm a bit worried about you. But to be nice I'll spell it out for you.

This is a show and a celebration of the music that still moves Keith, to ask him about probably the most painful incident in his life, the loss of a child no less, not only has nothing to do with the spirit of the show but it obviously is in bad taste and a cheap shot to create an emotional moment. It obviously made Keith sad to relate and remember the story and I find it very distasteful to bring up such a very personal and tragic event in the course of a very public and completely unrelated interview. Common courtesy dictates a kinder and more thoughtful interaction to this distinguished guest. The lady had obviously read the story in Life, not sure what her intentions were but it was clearly disrespectful, imo. Keith handled it well but the risk of him breaking down was certainly inherent, how would you have felt then? I would have felt terrible. It was hard enough hearing the pain in his voice. Friggin' tabloid mentality from a arguably well respected institution like Desert Island Disks? That woman lost some respect from me and absolutely guaranteed she will never get a similar interview from Mick. It is analogous to asking Mick about L'Wren's tragic death.

I've just listened to the interview (yes, I'm arriving late to the discussion), but it seemed to me that the interviewer seemed to be very uncomfortable after asking Keith that question and hearing his answer with that pain in his voice. I think this was a completely unnecessary question to be asked.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 25, 2015 23:44

GuessWho
I would imagine that interviews for Desert Island Dics are not done cold.

There was probably a pre-interview with a researcher and the topics to be covered, as well as the music being chosen, would have been agreed in advance.

I would agree - that makes complete sense.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: October 25, 2015 23:48

Just started to listen, some good tracks.

Date: October 25, 2015 23:48

Naturalust
Olly
Naturalust

Why?

This is a show and a celebration of the music that still moves Keith, to ask him about probably the most painful incident in his life, the loss of a child no less, not only has nothing to do with the spirit of the show but it obviously is in bad taste and a cheap shot to create an emotional moment. It obviously made Keith sad to relate and remember the story and I find it very distasteful to bring up such a very personal and tragic event in the course of a very public and completely unrelated interview. Common courtesy dictates a kinder and more thoughtful interaction to this distinguished guest. The lady had obviously read the story in Life, not sure what her intentions were but it was clearly disrespectful, imo. Keith handled it well but the risk of him breaking down was certainly inherent, how would you have felt then? I would have felt terrible. It was hard enough hearing the pain in his voice.

You amaze me Naturalust; I'll spell a few things out for you too:

The question was entirely in keeping with 'the spirit of the show': Desert Island Discs offers a serious, in-depth interview, interspersed with songs chosen by the guest.

You claim the question was 'obviously... in bad taste': Why on earth have you reached this irrational conclusion?

You talk of 'common courtesy': the question was asked with respect; why would Richards, or anyone else, have taken offence?

Your assertion that it was included in a 'completely unrelated interview' is erroneous: the subject of the interview was Richards' life.

I would have been very surprised had Young not asked about the death of Richards' child. Good journalism doesn't shy away from 'very personal and tragic event(s)', it embraces them.

Your misinterpretation may have arisen from a cultural misunderstanding. How familiar are you with the programme? It seems you may have interpreted the title and premise of the show too literally; were you expecting Young to ask Richards how he would go about trying to survive alone on a desert island?

Olly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-25 23:50 by Olly.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: October 25, 2015 23:51

Lovely interview, loads of sweet moments. Always makes me smile to hear Keith tell those old stories like he's told them for the first time. He clearly adores Patti - they are lucky to have found each other.

I get where you're coming from NL, but I don't think the question was asked in a disrespectful manner. I am also betting that the questions were vetted with Keith's management before the interview. If he were truly uncomfortable with talking about it, I think we wouldn't have heard it.

Anyhow, it was a nice treat, I thank you all kindly for the links. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-26 00:03 by latebloomer.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 26, 2015 00:01

Great listen ... Thanks Keith and nice work Kirsty thank you so much too

ROCKMAN

Date: October 26, 2015 00:03

Whatever Olly, there are plenty of more appropriate things to ask someone about than the loss of a child, not matter how "respectful" you feel the the question was presented, imo.

If you feel this kind of thing is what good journalism requires then we will just have to agree to disagree. Nothing irrational about my feeling here, perhaps it's just how I was raised and what my personal values dictate as respectful and in good taste.

As far as a cultural misunderstanding goes I couldn't tell you, perhaps your British institutions are fine with such stuff and this is par for the course for Desert Island Discs and I'm totally ignorant....I haven't heard many of the shows.

But as a human being, not a British journalist, it was indeed in bad taste, imo, obviously I'm not the only one who thinks so.

thumbs downthumbs downthumbs downRe: Keith on BBC Radio 4 Desert Island Discs Oct 25
Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: October 26, 2015 00:07

odean73
Just started to listen, some good tracks.

Just heard nigel kennedy.thumbs down

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-26 08:57 by odean73.

Date: October 26, 2015 00:09

Seems like another unsubstantiated moral judgement to me, Naturalust, although I can appreciate that you are used to a very different style of journalism.

Olly.

Date: October 26, 2015 00:30

Olly
Seems like another unsubstantiated moral judgement to me, Naturalust, although I can appreciate that you are used to a very different style of journalism.

Moral perhaps, but I thought I substantiated myself pretty well. winking smiley

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 26, 2015 00:31

If Keith didn't want to answer he wouldn't have. It's very easy to not answer questions and he is a master at doing interviews.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: October 26, 2015 00:54

'As much as I was also moved by Keith's answer to the question about Tara, I thought it was in pretty bad taste to bring it up. I mean wtf?! '

Keith would know exactly what questions would be asked by Kirsty, and nothing would be unexpected about it before.

Everything went to plan I'm sure.

Date: October 26, 2015 01:17

crawdaddy
'As much as I was also moved by Keith's answer to the question about Tara, I thought it was in pretty bad taste to bring it up. I mean wtf?! '

Keith would know exactly what questions would be asked by Kirsty, and nothing would be unexpected about it before.

Perhaps you're right but it's hard for me to imagine Keith would be pleased about bringing up such events. Just because he chose to answer and possibly accept such a question doesn't make me any more comfortable about it. In any case it seemed that last question about narrowing it down to one disc caught him off guard so perhaps it wasn't as tightly choreographed as some believe. Perhaps she just outlined the format, said she would ask him some questions about his life and career mixed with the stock questions about the discs. Who knows?

In any case Keith handled himself wonderfully and it was nice to hear him talk. Thanks for posting the link crawdaddy.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 26, 2015 01:19

Naturalust
crawdaddy

Perhaps you're right but it's hard for me to imagine Keith would be pleased about bringing up such events. Just because he chose to answer and possibly accept such a question doesn't make me any more comfortable about it. In any case it seemed that last question about narrowing it down to one disc caught him off guard so perhaps it wasn't as tightly choreographed as some believe. Perhaps she just outlined the format, said she would ask him some questions about his life and career mixed with the stock questions about the discs. Who knows?

In any case Keith handled himself wonderfully and it was nice to hear him talk. Thanks for posting the link crawdaddy.

thumbs up

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1954
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home