Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones & BBQ
Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: November 4, 2015 02:45

[www.thrillist.com]

Scroll down to #21

Kinda cool smiling smiley

Re: Stones & BBQ
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: November 4, 2015 02:55

Okay. I'm in. For some good ribs and q try Corky's in Memphis when you're travelin' west. And if I get real ambitious, I'll post a really good from scratch bbq sauce from the late Chef Austin Leslie. I'll leave it to y'all to check him out. His cookbook is well worth the search and the purchase. Got an autograhped picture of him hangin' in my kitchen to this day.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 4, 2015 08:16

I know I get sticky fingers eating ribs.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: November 4, 2015 08:26

Any "tape" from the 1999 show mentioned?

Posted by: chrisvw ()
Date: November 4, 2015 22:29

swiss

i had the amazing fortune to be at that show. actually, it wasn't a stones show; it was a thank you evening for the stones because they had made a contribution to a bluesmens' retirement fund. nice barbeque buffet and open bar. mick, keith and ronnie were there, with some of their family. a blues band played, and later in the evening keith and ronnie joined them for a song or two. what a wonderful memory!

Posted by: aliceinseattle ()
Date: November 5, 2015 00:55

That's funny.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-05 00:56 by aliceinseattle.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 5, 2015 01:48

aliceinseattle

That's funny.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I'm not sure it's funny...keeps me from ordering ribs if I go out for dinner...too messy!

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: November 5, 2015 16:20

chrisvw
swiss

i had the amazing fortune to be at that show. actually, it wasn't a stones show; it was a thank you evening for the stones because they had made a contribution to a bluesmens' retirement fund. nice barbeque buffet and open bar. mick, keith and ronnie were there, with some of their family. a blues band played, and later in the evening keith and ronnie joined them for a song or two. what a wonderful memory!

Wasn't that one of the annual Blues Hall of Fame get-togethers close to when they were in Memphis for their No Security show at the Pyramid?

Posted by: chrisvw ()
Date: November 5, 2015 21:45

kovach
chrisvw
swiss

Wasn't that one of the annual Blues Hall of Fame get-togethers close to when they were in Memphis for their No Security show at the Pyramid?

i don't know about that; i was just told that it was a "thank you" to the stones for the contribution they made.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: November 5, 2015 22:14

I went to Memphis to see the Stones in 2005, and being a big bbq fan I ended up at Charlie Vergos the night before the concert. I was surprised to read on the menu that they've "served princes, presidents, and the Rolling Stones . . ."
I laughed at what seemed to be a coincidence and then asked the bartender why they'd put the Stones' name on the menu with presidents and princes and I was told it was because the Stones always came to Charlie's when they were in town--since 1964.

Sure enough, the Stones and crew came in later that night and took over a section in the back. I didn't see them arrive, but it was closed off and as the night went on it got much louder (with some guitars being played).

The place is great and the food is fantastic bbq. I went back the next day for lunch and Chuck was there at the bar, nonchalantly eating brisket and ribs. I guess he couldn't get enough either.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: November 5, 2015 22:50

camper88
I went to Memphis to see the Stones in 2005, and being a big bbq fan I ended up at Charlie Vergos the night before the concert. I was surprised to read on the menu that they've "served princes, presidents, and the Rolling Stones . . ."
I laughed at what seemed to be a coincidence and then asked the bartender why they'd put the Stones' name on the menu with presidents and princes and I was told it was because the Stones always came to Charlie's when they were in town--since 1964.

Sure enough, the Stones and crew came in later that night and took over a section in the back. I didn't see them arrive, but it was closed off and as the night went on it got much louder (with some guitars being played).

The place is great and the food is fantastic bbq. I went back the next day for lunch and Chuck was there at the bar, nonchalantly eating brisket and ribs. I guess he couldn't get enough either.

Yeah, love that place. And Corky's, and Central BBQ, and Neely's Interstate...

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: November 6, 2015 00:44

chrisvw
swiss

Wow -- amazing story, chrisvm! As you say, that must be a wonderful memory! Thanks for sharing it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2054
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home