Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7
Re: Keith on BBC Radio 4 Desert Island Discs Oct 25
Posted by: Olly ()
Date: October 29, 2015 23:28

Turner68
Olly
Turner68
have you considered ditching your TV again? I haven't had one for 4 years and love it. we stream netflix and HBO over the internet when we want to watch a drama or a comedy, and most live events are now available on the internet too. TV will be completely obsolete in 5 years.

So it's the medium rather than the content that you avoid.

Not at all. What are you talking about? There are very few dramas and comedies on TV.

Another cultural difference; British television is largely comprised of the above two genres.

Other than the films on Netflix, surely its content, and that of HBO, comprises programmes made for TV?

Olly.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 29, 2015 23:33

Olly
Turner68
Olly
Turner68
have you considered ditching your TV again? I haven't had one for 4 years and love it. we stream netflix and HBO over the internet when we want to watch a drama or a comedy, and most live events are now available on the internet too. TV will be completely obsolete in 5 years.

So it's the medium rather than the content that you avoid.

Not at all. What are you talking about? There are very few dramas and comedies on TV.

Another cultural difference; British television is largely comprised of the above two genres.

Other than the films on Netflix, surely its content, and that of HBO, comprises programmes made for TV?

no this is not at all a cultural difference. have you watched British TV?

the fact that some of the content i mentioned is also available on TV is my point. you can watch what is good on TV using other means, and skip all that is bad: reality shows, talk shows, contest and game shows, celebrity gossip shows, etc.

i've spent plenty of time in the UK i'm well familiar with the content of television there and it has ample doses of all of the above. none of this is available on netflix or hbo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-29 23:34 by Turner68.

Date: October 29, 2015 23:35

HBO is a television network.

Olly.

Date: October 29, 2015 23:37

Turner68
...have you watched British TV?...

Yes, but very rarely in recent years.

Olly.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 29, 2015 23:37

Olly
Attitudes will vary vastly across America as well, I imagine.

Whereabouts in America are you from, Naturalust?

I have homes in Northern California and Western Montana, so I am definitely aware of the different attitudes that can exist in different locations. The California coast is a bastion of liberal social values while some places in Montana are holding onto traditional conservative ones with an iron grip. But generally very good people in both locations. In my travels I still notice a definite difference in culture in places like the deep south, the midwest and the west coast although some would argue that we are becoming somewhat more homogenized by the shared media, internet and so forth. There certainly is an element of that homogenization in a more physical sense as mini strip malls, Wal Marts, hotels and motels and other infrastructure elements can tend to look the same across the country.

Turner, yes I have considered ditching the TV but for some reason haven't got around to it. Haven't turned it on in a few weeks but have a pretty good deal for bundled internet (over 100Mbps) plus hundreds of cable channels for about $80/month so the motivation to change anything is pretty small.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 29, 2015 23:51

Naturalust
Olly
Attitudes will vary vastly across America as well, I imagine.

Whereabouts in America are you from, Naturalust?

I have homes in Northern California and Western Montana, so I am definitely aware of the different attitudes that can exist in different locations. The California coast is a bastion of liberal social values while some places in Montana are holding onto traditional conservative ones with an iron grip. But generally very good people in both locations. In my travels I still notice a definite difference in culture in places like the deep south, the midwest and the west coast although some would argue that we are becoming somewhat more homogenized by the shared media, internet and so forth. There certainly is an element of that homogenization in a more physical sense as mini strip malls, Wal Marts, hotels and motels and other infrastructure elements can tend to look the same across the country.

Turner, yes I have considered ditching the TV but for some reason haven't got around to it. Haven't turned it on in a few weeks but have a pretty good deal for bundled internet (over 100Mbps) plus hundreds of cable channels for about $80/month so the motivation to change anything is pretty small.

My Grandparents on my fathers side were rooted in Missouri and Kansas, and were diehard conservatives with heavy Christian values. My Grandparents on my mothers side came directly from the the Netherlands to California and were very open minded - I suppose you could even say liberal, but in the broadest of terms. So I grew up with a dad who was somewhat conservative, and a mom who was somewhat liberal. '
I managed to find a balance between the two, as the extremes on either side are a bit extreme for my liking. As with all things in life, I find that it's all about keeping the balance.

And yes - ditching the tv is highly recommended.
As the funny lady in one of those recent viral videos would say: "ain't nobody got time fo dat"!

Posted by: angee ()
Date: October 30, 2015 02:45

Hairball

What seems like "just plain common sense and good manners" to you, might seem a bit "goody two shoes" to others - and that's not meant as an insult.
The shocked and mortified reaction towards the situation just might be seen as overblown about something that doesn't quite justify that reaction. And I wouldn't say it's all about being desensitized or having a level of complacency from watching or listening to all the dreck on tv as you insinuate (does anyone pay attention to that crap), although perhaps for some it is - especially for the younger generation. It's probably more about one's upbringing, personal experiences, and a whole lot of other reasons that could affect and define one's values regarding certain situations.
After all, the U.S. is a gigantic country, from east to west and north to south, with 50 states (kind of like micro-climates) where there are differences in attitudes and values around every corner. Even in California alone there's the big cities, the country towns, the north, and the south, and everything in between - not everyone has the same cultural or personal values and thinks alike. Some happen to be harder and tougher than others - and alot of that has to do with the 'climate' in which they live.

Anyways, don't mean to veer too far off-topic...where was I? winking smiley

The fact is the BBC show with Keith is a British institution, and as has been mentioned several times here there's a slim chance he went in their without knowing firsthand what was about to be served to him. From the records played, to the questions asked - he was prepared and responded accordingly. As for me, I thought it was a great show through and through and wouldn't have changed a thing, except for extending it to about 5 hours to hear more about his desert island picks, and the ups and downs of his life - the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Thanks, HB, I was saying nearly exactly that before I edited it out above, see my bolding of yur words. I really don't think regional or national differences account for most of the diverse responses in this case. It really is so interesting how we frame our reactions.

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: October 30, 2015 02:49

angee
Thanks, HB, I was saying nearly exactly that before I edited it out above, see my bolding of yur words. I really don't think regional or national differences account for most of the diverse responses in this case. It really is so interesting how we frame our reactions.

Oh I'm a goody two shoes now huh? winking smiley If you only knew......lol

Date: October 30, 2015 03:15

Naturalust
angee

Oh I'm a goody two shoes now huh? winking smiley If you only knew......lol

Lol apologies Naturalust - that was not the term I should have written...was still waking up with coffee this morning!
In hindsight, perhaps 'thin skinned' might have been better a term...or maybe not? smiling smiley
As I said, it wasn't meant as an insult!

Date: October 30, 2015 03:27

No worries Hairball, I know myself well enough to understand that neither of those two terms could possibly be describing me.

Let me help you. Kind, courteous, respectful, well mannered, empathetic, honest......grinning smiley

Date: October 30, 2015 03:42

Sounds like the making of a Boy Scout - aren't those the traits they must abide by? smiling smiley

Again, wasn't saying those terms I used describe you, rather that some people with a tougher perspective and mindset might see it that way.

But anyways, I wonder what the Stones are up to....plotting another tour and possibly recording a new album?

drinking smiley

Date: October 30, 2015 04:04

Hairball
Sounds like the making of a Boy Scout - aren't those the traits they must abide by? smiling smiley

Again, wasn't saying those terms I used describe you, rather that some people with a tougher perspective and mindset might see it that way.

But anyways, I wonder what the Stones are up to....plotting another tour and possibly recording a new album?

drinking smiley

Yeah I was a boy scout but usually joined right before the camp outs and disappeared right after them. Never could abide by those boring meetings and the pomp and circumstance involved....combined with a healthy distrust of authority I didn't stand a chance. My small group of campers actually saved our food money and brought cigars....ate garbanzo beans while the others were enjoying their steaks and burgers. I assure you we were most popular after the lights went out though.

The Stones? Probably having fun watching their grandkids get ready for Halloween, enjoying down time with their families, planning tropical vacations to escape the cold weather and stocking up early on Christmas presets. I doubt anybody but Mick is doing any thinking about the Stones yet and he is having some fun finalizing lucrative contracts for the SA tour. My guess is that they won't begin planning more studio time till mid to late 2016.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: October 30, 2015 21:33

I listened to the repeat this am.Thought Keef was great!He is one happy guy.Now Mick.....where are you at?

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: November 5, 2015 21:27

Yes I listened to this today so coming to it a bit late.

Very enjoyable indeed and I found the questions and answers very warm and revealing. Really enjoyed Easy Classic by Gregory Isaacs and Little Walter's Key to the Highway (is that the original?)

And I found Keith's comments on the cot death of his son very touching. Not intrusive to ask about what must have been a significant moment in his life and handled tenderly.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 5, 2015 23:15

Little Walter's Key to the Highway (is that the original?)

No Lil' Walter's version is from 1958 ... First recorded by
Charlie Segar in 1940 then followed by Big Bill Broonzy in 1941

ROCKMAN

Posted by: angee ()
Date: November 6, 2015 04:26

Rockman
Little Walter's Key to the Highway (is that the original?)

No Lil' Walter's version is from 1958 ... First recorded by
Charlie Segar in 1940 then followed by Big Bill Broonzy in 1941

Ah, good to know! Okay, who did the most noted versions between Lil Walter and Eric Clapton? cool smiley
Gracias!

~"Love is Strong"~

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1917
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home