Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 17
Re: Mick guests with Taylor Swift - Nashville, September 26
Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: September 29, 2015 00:44

Turner68

i know more adults who went to see taylor swift on this tour than went to see the stones in 2013-2015.
her crowd is not just 12 year olds.

we should consider the possibility that mick knows what he is doing and understands taylor swift and her fans better than we do.

I don't think the criticism is really from a marketing standpoint, it's more having to do with taste. The Stones music means something to all of us here, obviously. Some of us see Mick as kind of cheapening it by appearing on stage with pop schlock (notwithstanding its current popularity). Nobody will remember who or what taylor Swift was, what her "art" was about, 50 years from now.

But i really doubt it is much about marketing; the Stones have their fans and will clean up on any tour they do, justifiably. I think it's more his ego, and it is sad and embarrassing.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 29, 2015 00:50

From guitarist Paul Sidoti:

So. Much. Fun. With Taylor & Mick Jagger.. #satisfaction

[instagram.com]

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 29, 2015 00:51

Rokyfan
Turner68

i know more adults who went to see taylor swift on this tour than went to see the stones in 2013-2015.

we should consider the possibility that mick knows what he is doing and understands taylor swift and her fans better than we do.

I don't think the criticism is really from a marketing standpoint, it's more having to do with taste. The Stones music means something to all of us here, obviously. Some of us see Mick as kind of cheapening it by appearing on stage with pop schlock (notwithstanding its current popularity). Nobody will remember who or what taylor Swift was, what her "art" was about, 50 years from now.

But i really doubt it is much about marketing; the Stones have their fans and will clean up on any tour they do, justifiably. I think it's more his ego, and it is sad and embarrassing.

i understand. i prefer to believe he did it for his grandkids, and not think about it anymore :-)

Posted by: Chester ()
Date: September 29, 2015 00:59

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but when was the last time anyone performed Satisfaction with Mick Jagger? Has anyone? Pretty iconic song to just let anyone sing.

Date: September 29, 2015 01:02

Chester
Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but when was the last time anyone performed Satisfaction with Mick Jagger? Has anyone? Pretty iconic song to just let anyone sing.

Stevie in 1972?

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 29, 2015 01:09

Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame Induction, 1988 - [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-29 01:11 by bye bye johnny.

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: September 29, 2015 01:18

keef94
NO KIDDING. The kvetching on here is just ridiculous. The world's greatest frontman of all time shows up as a special guest to the current standard-bearer, and people are complaining? Unbelievable.

Predictable too, after hearing for three years Keith can't play for shit, etc.

This fan forum can be interesting, particularly when bv posts, but the overall negativity is the main reason why I seldom visit.

Mick Jagger alive and well and rocking out in Nashville with a 21 year old star?

Go for it, Mick!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-29 01:19 by StonedInTokyo.

Date: September 29, 2015 01:36

DandelionPowderman
Chester

Stevie in 1972?

Maybe. What number did he do when he guested on the Donny and Marie tour in 73?

Date: September 29, 2015 01:37

Rokyfan
DandelionPowderman
Chester

Stevie in 1972?

Maybe. What number did he do when he guested on the Donny and Marie tour in 73?

I'm not sure. BBJ found a clip from 1988 above, though.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 29, 2015 01:42

Turner68
Rokyfan
Turner68

i understand. i prefer to believe he did it for his grandkids, and not think about it anymore :-)

He did it because he wanted to, Turner. Stop driving yourself crazy. All this speculation on why is just that...speculation. It happened and it's over. GET OVER IT, PEOPLE! grinning smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 29, 2015 01:55

with sssoul
Hairball
I wonder of Keith has seen this yet.

Do you think Keith would care enough to watch a fax of the performance?
I find it real hard to picture him giving a sh1t, you know?
I mean: Since I don't, why would Keith? :E

You must give some kind of shit, otherwise you wouldn't be writing that you don't.cool smiley
And no, I really don't think Keith cares enough to watch a fax of the performance,
but then again it is one of his signature songs so he may may be a bit curious as to how his singer performed it with another band.
I never insinuated he wouldn't like it, but I think that's what you may have been reading into it.
I wonder what he thinks of Taylor Swift's guitar player...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-29 01:58 by Hairball.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 29, 2015 02:13

I did not realize there were so many conservative people around here. Putting people and performers in categories. Making rules about who Mick and Keith are supposed to be seen on stage with.

This is the band who recorded STREET FIGHTING MAN. Get rid of the rules. Why suddenly so many rules to follow? Is there good and bad music? Are some people better than others?

Bjornulf

Posted by: keef94 ()
Date: September 29, 2015 02:19

bv
I did not realize there were so many conservative people around here. Putting people and performers in categories. Making rules about who Mick and Keith are supposed to be seen on stage with.

This is the band who recorded STREET FIGHTING MAN. Get rid of the rules. Why suddenly so many rules to follow? Is there good and bad music? Are some people better than others?

It's only rock and roll! (But I like it.)

Posted by: CloudCat ()
Date: September 29, 2015 02:21

Hairball
with sssoul
Hairball

You must ..., otherwise you wouldn't be writing that you don't.cool smiley
And no, I really don't think Keith cares enough to watch a fax of the performance,
but then again it is one of his signature songs so he may may be a bit curious as to how his singer performed it with another band.
I never insinuated he wouldn't like it, but I think that's what you may have been reading into it.

it seems to me, that with sssoul has been writing in reflection of all the sturm and more sturm some around here seem to have gotten themselves wrapped up in regarding mick jagger sharing the stage with taylor swift as if the event betrayed them personally and they must somehow restore credibility of the band by posting outrage and lashing ferociously out at anyone who has drunk the kool aid that would allow such a teaming to be ok

this thread has gotten pretty bellicose for not much of a nevermind.

go to your happy place and turn up the stones!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-29 02:22 by CloudCat.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: September 29, 2015 02:22

It's been interesting, see you all for another round of heated discussion the next time a Stone does something drastic born out of 'ego' gone mad syndrome ( caused by Crosseyed Heart ) or who knows, next time we may discuss a Stone's event that's mind- blowingly good. Surprised no one had the intuition to see what sprung MJ into drastic action. Crosseyed Heart will have a devastating effect on MJ, this is just the tip of the iceberg. Was it Cloudcat who said change your name to Stone up to a point. It is stone4ever as long as the line of reason is not crossed. MJ is beginning to Cross that line of reason in my opinion. Ignorance is bliss, if you think its cool for MJ to Sing a pointless rendition of satisfaction with a young girl in front teeny teens, then good for you, i think you have more of this stuff to come. With Florence Welch it had a different vibe, she gave MJ a run for his money and Miss Welch was a worthy opponent without the cringe factor. Lets see more of that, lets have Steve Tyler give MJ a run for his money, lets keep it to the over 25's

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 29, 2015 02:32

CloudCat
Hairball
with sssoul
Hairball

You must ..., otherwise you wouldn't be writing that you don't.cool smiley

it seems to me, that with sssoul has been writing in reflection of all the sturm and more sturm some around here seem to have gotten themselves wrapped up in regarding mick jagger sharing the stage with taylor swift as if the event betrayed them personally and they must somehow restore credibility of the band by posting outrage and lashing ferociously out at anyone who has drunk the kool aid that would allow such a teaming to be ok

this thread has gotten pretty bellicose for not much of a nevermind.

go to your happy place and turn up the stones!

Yes it seems that way, and I like with sssoul...hence the smiley face. cool smiley
Time to relax and listen to Crosseyed Heart again, and I recommend the same for everyone.
That album does wonders for the sssoul.... smoking smiley

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: September 29, 2015 02:36

bye bye johnny
From guitarist Paul Sidoti:

So. Much. Fun. With Taylor & Mick Jagger.. #satisfaction

Fun? What is that?

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 29, 2015 02:47

bv

BV, just curious because you rarely chime in which is understandable. Do you have Crosseyed Heart?

Peace and a South America

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 29, 2015 02:52

latebloomer
Turner68
Rokyfan
Turner68

He did it because he wanted to, Turner. Stop driving yourself crazy. All this speculation on why is just that...speculation. It happened and it's over. GET OVER IT, PEOPLE! grinning smiley

That's exactly what I said pages ago latebloomer... Looks like everyone needs to get over it and relax. smileys with beer

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: September 29, 2015 02:57

@tswiftfanatics OMG!!! There really IS a JAGGER and he really MOVES!!! He can be my sugar daddy any ol' time!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-29 02:58 by bleedingman.

Posted by: Librarian ()
Date: September 29, 2015 03:28

bleedingman
@tswiftfanatics OMG!!! There really IS a JAGGER and he really MOVES!!! He can be my sugar daddy any ol' time!!

Yes Virginia, there is.....

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 29, 2015 03:29

Bein' a Yummy Daddy is the greatest .... hhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: September 29, 2015 04:40

Get your ass in the studio guys. Really Mick.

Date: September 29, 2015 04:41

bv

Time to chime in with the bottom line, assuredly. Whatever any of the Stones does is beyond criticism. That is really the only rule. And your question -- is there good music and bad music? -- you are serious?

It's not a matter of anyone not being allowed to do whatever they want, or rules. All those are your words and concepts. It's about people being allowed to think, on the one hand, that was great, or, on the other, that sucked. You want to have a rule that if you are a Stones fan you have a certain opinion on anything they do. At least you are consistent. I agree that the whole thing is way overblown and it is not really all that surprising. One quick cringe and move on.

Posted by: rcfoxy ()
Date: September 29, 2015 08:35

Having not read all of this thread, my question may have been covered....but I will ask it anyway.

Was Mick already in Nashville (or nearby), or did he travel specifically to a relatively off the beaten track location just to perform with her?

He normally only seems to visit NY or LA (when not on tour). It just strikes me as very unusual that he travelled out of his way to perform one song at a random show. When he normally makes a guest appearance, its in a major city that he may already be visiting I would have thought.

Cheers
Richard - In Another Land

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 29, 2015 09:43

"I had opinions that didn't matter." — The White Stripes' THE HARDEST BUTTON TO BUTTON

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: September 29, 2015 12:02

What´s so humiliating about it?
Well, hairball gave the answer already, it´s indeed the circumstances. A youth-fixed aging rocker shows off in front of a very young audience. Ridiculous. I´ve seen footage of TS-concerts and there are mostly children in the audience, at their very young age they dont understand what the Stones are about and the dont understand the meaning of the lyrics and so on. Stones-music wasn´t made for 10-year-olds, so why performing it in front of mostly ten-year-olds? It´s dull. Mick should very well know that this is not going to pass on Stones-music to a younger generation, that this is not going to increase ticket-sales. He does it only for his overblown ego. He knows this will get his name and picture in the papers and media. His vanity is what this is all about. Maybe he likes to be in company of TS, too.

Btw, if you occasionally spot adult people in a TS-audience you can bet they are the mommas and poppas of the mostly 10-12-years-old.

Plus maybe a few grown-ups with very misguided musical taste.smiling smiley

Taylor Swift and the likes of her dont make music, the produce sounds to fill silence. You cant really listen to it, because it is too simple, too stupid, too meaningless, too dull. It´s not art, it´s not seriously music, it´s musical fastfood, in a word: junk.

Date: September 29, 2015 12:20

jlowe
Why the fuss?
Crooner Tony Bennett (80 years+) recorded a duet with the late Amy WINEHOUSE (20+) some years ago. And why not.
It will all be forgotten about within a month.

Amy Winehous of course was no plastic teen idol making records for 10-year-olds. So it would have been more than okay if Mick joined her onstage during one of her concerts. But Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, I mean, really folks, come on...

Date: September 29, 2015 12:32

bv

Like Duke Ellington said, there IS good music and bad music. Taylor Swift´s crap isnt music at all to my ears and I am not the only one on this planet who feels so. And if Mick teams up with the likes of Taylor Swift, than it makes me sad. Sad to see what has become of the singer of my favorite band.

It´s not about Taylor being so young and Mick being so old, it doesnt matter. It´s the music they are known for, it couldnt be more different and inappropriate. Mick dueting with a talented 18-years female blues singer? Totally okay. Mick performing with a plastic-pop-star? Totally sucks.
Its not about being conservative, it is about the credibility of the Stones in general.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: September 29, 2015 12:34

HMS

Taylor Swift and the likes of her dont make music, the produce sounds to fill silence. You cant really listen to it, because it is too simple, too stupid, too meaningless, too dull. It´s not art, it´s not seriously music, it´s musical fastfood, in a word: junk.

Well, you got a point here.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2220
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home