Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 17
Re: Mick guests with Taylor Swift - Nashville, September 26
Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 28, 2015 18:44

mitch
All I can see here is that Mick is much more open minded than a lot of his fans.

Or, he takes his music much less seriously than his fans do. I think both statements are probably true.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 28, 2015 18:48

Hairball
Turner68
Hairball
If and when the Stones come back to my neck of the woods, and I ask some of my younger friends (mid-'30's) if they want to go,
there reaction might be (in an angry snarling tone): "Aren't they the ones who sing with Taylor Swift"?

I'll then have to explain the situation while attempting to defend the Stones at the same time which won't be an easy task.
As much as some here think this actually helps the Stones, at the same time it can also be damaging.

I suppose there's more important things to ponder worry about - like the next Stones album and what direction it might take.

ah, but your point goes to the time-honored question of what sort of fans the stones are targeting.

your friends who react like that probably also wouldn't be happy just hearing the greatest hits, they'd probably want to hear some deep cuts, even if they aren't big stones fans.

mick, i believe, is targeting the tourists.
"step right up, slap 300-400 dollars down, and we'll serve you live versions of GRRR with a drink and fries on the side."

Well these particular friends I refer to could be labeled as 'very casual fans', and would probably be upset if it wasn't ALL warhorses.
They like the Stones, but being in their mid-30's it's not a band they grew up with. They don't have the same enthusiasm and fandom as most everyone on this site do,
so would probably be confused about any deep cuts interfering with the show. There limited knowledge (and what they like about the Stones)
goes as far as Hot Rocks - ie Gimme Shelter, Sympathy, Satisfaction, etc. The fact that they would ask "Aren't they the ones who sing with Taylor Swift"?
speaks volumes to the limitations of their Stones fandom, but of course I was exaggerating a little. smiling smiley

There's still the notion though of the Stones/Mick having any association with T. Swift that might have them confused and wondering about the integrity of the band....

Well, I can see that the Stones need these fans much more than they need the Taylor Swift crowd!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 28, 2015 18:51

KRiffhard
HMS
Taylor Swift traded bubblegum-country-pop for computer-generated plastic music on her album 1989. It´s a crying shame that such shit sells billions of copies.

And it´s a crying shame that Mick Jagger really thinks he could introduce himself to TS´s audiences by making a guest appearance that in fact is humilating for everyone who loves GOOD music. Heartfelt music. Handmade music. Music from crafted songwriters. Taylor Swift´s recent music is the total opposite of it. Shame on Mick, that at his age he feels the need to go on his knees and beg for the attention of youngsters younger than young... Could you imagine Van Morrison, Bob Dylan, Tom Petty, Pete Townshend, Robert Plant etc etc doing this. No of course, because these are mature artists doing THEIR thing to THEIR audience. They dont give a damn what 10-year-old girls listen to on their phones and mp3-players. They make adult music for adults and leave the Teenie-stars to the teeny-boppers. There is different music for different audiences, like different books for different readers. It´s completely okay for a 10-year old to love Taylor Swift´s music. But Mick begging for attention of 10-year-olds is humilating and frustrating, espescially for Stones-fans. What Mick does is in some way disgusting and slimy. And more than that - he is making a fool of himself, it is so disappointing, humilating & cheap. Why did he do this - not to make sure, youngsters get to know the music of the Stones, no, I guess it was all about his EGO. If I do get banned now for critizise Mick and speaking my mind out, be it. But I am not obliged to applaude to every childish bullshit Mick Jagger does to please his youth-fixed ego. This guy is really getting annoying sometimes.

thumbs up You're right

Despite the nastiness and repetitiveness, HMS makes some valid points.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: September 28, 2015 18:55

CloudCat
why so ....serious?

Maybe because not even in my wildest dreams I ever expected the Stones/MJ sharing the stage with the likes of Katy Perry, Lady Gaga and Taylor Swift. Some of you say, it´s just fun, doesnt matter a thing. But the Stones to me are - or more precise - were not only about the music but in some way also about a way of life... I dont know if I ever had become a fan, if they teamed up in the very early 80s with plastic-stars popular at that time, like they do now... A lot of youngsters may like Taylor Swift´s music but there are also a lot of youngsters out there, that dont. They like handmade rock music and there are lots of new bands doing this music. Of course they dont sell like TS. But if Mick would care for music and the Stones´s legacy he would rather support this new bands instead of fooling around with Teeny-stars. It´s like someone above said, many people will keep in mind that "these guys are the ones who sang with Taylor Swift - urgh."

Someone else said, Howlin´ Wolf and Muddy Waters also shared the stage with young, white musicians just like the Stones once were decades ago. That´s okay, these legends and these white boys shared the love for the same music. But there is absolutely nothing in common in Stones-music and Taylor-Swift-music or Katy-Perry-music. The Stones do not really need Taylor Swift and Taylor Swift for sure doesn´t need the Stones or Mick Jagger. Musically they are worlds apart and pairing them turns out into nothing but some sort of freak show, imo.

It would be more appropriate for Mick to show up during a concert of a "new" blues- and rock based band, instead of inviting Teenie-Stars to participate in Stones-concerts. But all he looks for is ATTENTION, a cheap kick for his ego.

Regarding Keith´s appearences in pirate movies, that is completely different, because it had nothing to do with music. I dont care about Keith doing this cameos like I didn´t care Mick starring in "Free Jack". But imo the Stones and Mick are losing credibility when performing with corporate-generated plastic stars, it´s a freak show.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 28, 2015 18:59

Green Lady
Hairball
Turner68
Hairball
If and when the Stones come back to my neck of the woods, and I ask some of my younger friends (mid-'30's) if they want to go,
there reaction might be (in an angry snarling tone): "Aren't they the ones who sing with Taylor Swift"?

I'll then have to explain the situation while attempting to defend the Stones at the same time which won't be an easy task.
As much as some here think this actually helps the Stones, at the same time it can also be damaging.

I suppose there's more important things to ponder worry about - like the next Stones album and what direction it might take.

ah, but your point goes to the time-honored question of what sort of fans the stones are targeting.

your friends who react like that probably also wouldn't be happy just hearing the greatest hits, they'd probably want to hear some deep cuts, even if they aren't big stones fans.

mick, i believe, is targeting the tourists.
"step right up, slap 300-400 dollars down, and we'll serve you live versions of GRRR with a drink and fries on the side."

Well these particular friends I refer to could be labeled as 'very casual fans', and would probably be upset if it wasn't ALL warhorses.
They like the Stones, but being in their mid-30's it's not a band they grew up with. They don't have the same enthusiasm and fandom as most everyone on this site do,
so would probably be confused about any deep cuts interfering with the show. There limited knowledge (and what they like about the Stones)
goes as far as Hot Rocks - ie Gimme Shelter, Sympathy, Satisfaction, etc. The fact that they would ask "Aren't they the ones who sing with Taylor Swift"?
speaks volumes to the limitations of their Stones fandom, but of course I was exaggerating a little. smiling smiley

There's still the notion though of the Stones/Mick having any association with T. Swift that might have them confused and wondering about the integrity of the band....

Well, I can see that the Stones need these fans much more than they need the Taylor Swift crowd!

Hahaha.
Well that goes back to my original point which was that Mick and/or the Stones really don't need to bend over (or shall I say kow tow?) to anyone.
Their legacy is set, so why bother? Especially with strange oddball collaborations like this....

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 28, 2015 19:05

CloudCat
HMS
Mick´s silly behaviour is ruinous for the reputation of a whole generation of mature musicians of his generation. The older he gets, the sillier gets his behaviour. A 72-years-old rocker performing to an audience that has come to hear TS´s plastic stuff, is just humiliating for musicians who take their business serious. It´s like Miley Cyrus performing at the opera house between two acts of "Rheingold",it is just inappropriate. Mick is getting more and more ridiculous, he should stop this, it is getting pathetic indeed. And almost pathological. If he was out on his own as a solo-artist, I wouldnt care, but he is still frontman of the worlds greatest RnR-band and his ridiculous actions are SUBSTANTIAL DAMAGE to the Stones´s reputation. If Mick is getting ridiculous, in some way the Stones get ridiculous too, cause he is an essential and very important part of the Stones. This he should keep in mind, that isnt asked too much.

why so ....serious?

Indeed. Time to lighten up about this one. Performing a single rock song he wrote with a hot 25 yr. old chick dressed in leather? Sounds pretty rock and roll to me.

I admit it would be interesting to hear him sing some live rock and roll or blues with another rock band but of course that might make him actually be more concerned about the singing than the dancing and strutting around. Mick has become more of a stage spectacle than ever these days, actually a pretty good match for artists like Taylor Swift. And he probably likes her music too, owns most of her records. It's hard to imagine what music and artists truly move the man these days, love to see whats on his playlist.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 28, 2015 19:36

there is a thirty second clip of this in the Michael Cooper phot thread .it is ok , i like it !

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: September 28, 2015 19:40

The reason the stones have such a following is because of the respect and integrety they have earnt through their life time regarding their music. This just detracts from this.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 28, 2015 19:45

stone4ever
The reason the stones have such a following is because of the respect and integrety they have earnt through their life time regarding their music. This just detracts from this.

i honestly don't see mick showing up at a taylor swift concert to be a big deal at all

certainly not anywhere near as bad as having contemporary pop acts (like her) join the stones on stage.

the stones stage should be sacred - reserved for people like buddy guy.

mick showing up at taylor swift's concert - what's the big deal? perhaps one of his grandchildren is a big fan and he wanted to make his/her day. who cares if you're not a taylor swift fan. but if taylor swift comes out on the stones stage to perform with them, in front of fans who paid to see the stones, i think it's a different matter.

Date: September 28, 2015 19:55

Turner68
stone4ever

i honestly don't see mick showing up at a taylor swift concert to be a big deal at all

certainly not anywhere near as bad as having contemporary pop acts (like her) join the stones on stage.

the stones stage should be sacred - reserved for people like buddy guy.

mick showing up at taylor swift's concert - what's the big deal? perhaps one of his grandchildren is a big fan and he wanted to make his/her day. who cares if you're not a taylor swift fan. but if taylor swift comes out on the stones stage to perform with them, in front of fans who paid to see the stones, i think it's a different matter.
. Very confusing. Are you saying two wrongs make a right. Why was K Perry and T Swift at a Stones show in the first place ? Answer MJ

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: September 28, 2015 20:11

You know it's just a matter of time until he teams up with Stones fan Miley Cyrus (which I would welcome). Just thought I should warn certain people now so that they can get their heart medication prescriptions refilled.

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: September 28, 2015 20:12

Every thing Mick Jagger do is for the Richards clan wrong.
These Keith,s asslickers storming forward to attack every little thing Jagger do.
I don,t now why,but they have to have some reason,or is it only hate?
Childish,stupid comments all the time

Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: September 28, 2015 20:18

Here's a review of Mick's performance :

[www.youtube.com]

Date: September 28, 2015 20:29

DeanGoodman
You know it's just a matter of time until he teams up with Stones fan Miley Cyrus (which I would welcome). Just thought I should warn certain people now so that they can get their heart medication prescriptions refilled.

grinning smiley

Date: September 28, 2015 20:30

I'm not ashamed saying that I liked Lady Gaga's stint with the Stones on GS. She had soul smiling smiley

Date: September 28, 2015 20:32

harlem shuffle
These Keith,s asslickers storming forward to attack every little thing Jagger do.
. What do mean. You sound like you hate KR fans. Or do you just hate KR

Date: September 28, 2015 20:36

harlem shuffle

There are a few kicking in the other direction as well?

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: September 28, 2015 20:45

The one question that I HAVEN'T seen asked is, why in September 2015 in Nashville, TN?

Since the Stones ended their tour in Quebec, TS has done 45 shows in North America. Why not one of those other shows?

When I hear that Steven Tyler sat in the night before in Nashville, TN it makes perfect sense as he's got a country album out and probably WANTED to showcase himself there (except for the fact that he did quite possibly the crappiest A-smith song in history with TS as opposed to one of his solo tunes).

Which then makes me wonder if Swift herself specifically wanted ST & MJ with her in Nashville to distance herself even farther from country music in country music's home.

Which then leads me back to why, if it was TS asking Mick instead of the other way around (which I'm sure it was), why was Mick available for a Nashville show in late September? Obviously we're talking about a man who has the means to fly himself anywhere in the world on a moments notice so it could have been anywhere. Why Nashville, TN? Mick and the Stones were just there three months ago so it's not like it's a market that hasn't seen Mick in a while.

C'mon people... Let's get creative people... Let's get the rumor mill going...

I'll throw in with:
Possibly Mick is in town doing pre-production work with Jack White for the next Stones album. How many people have been shouting out for the Stones to work with Jack White? He's in Nashville. Anybody know where he was Saturday night? Where he was last week? Where he is this week?

For all of the people who can't wait to blame MJ for embarrassing himself as a 72 year old onstage with a 26 yr old or for tarnishing the Stones legacy by the same means, how do you know he wasn't just up there "for the fun of it"? After all, this is the man that wrote "It's Only Rock & Roll, But I Like It". Yes it's art, yes it's a business, but it's also FUN.

At the end of the day, I hope Mick HAD FUN on Saturday night!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: September 28, 2015 21:03

Does Steven Tyler have a country album out??

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: September 28, 2015 21:07

mr_dja
Possibly Mick is in town doing pre-production work with Jack White for the next Stones album.

Arrgh,you are going to kill me. I would rather accept a Mick-Jagger-Taylor-Swift-duet on a Don-Was-produced Stones-album than a Jack-White-produced Stones-album.

May it never come to this.
What a horrible worst-case-scenario this is.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 28, 2015 21:09

DandelionPowderman

It will be released next year: [ultimateclassicrock.com]

Date: September 28, 2015 21:11

HMS
mr_dja
Possibly Mick is in town doing pre-production work with Jack White for the next Stones album.

Arrgh,you are going to kill me. I would rather accept a Mick-Jagger-Taylor-Swift-duet on a Don-Was-produced Stones-album than a Jack-White-produced Stones-album.

May it never come to this.
What a horrible worst-case-scenario this is.

They can always bring back Lillywhite; )

He's doing norwegian talent reality shows as a judge now, btw...

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 28, 2015 21:33

HMS
Regarding Keith´s appearences in pirate movies, that is completely different

It wasn't completely different for the outraged guardians of the legacy who were screeching about it at the time.
It was exactly the same. Inappropate. A pardoy. A disgrace. Substantial damage to the Stones' cred. The works.
And look what happened.

Date: September 28, 2015 21:38

DandelionPowderman
DeanGoodman

grinning smiley

So you would welcome Miley Cyrus because you would like people on IORR to have a heart attack. Wicked funny. Or do you just like to see girls with hardly any clothes on while you watch your favourite band winking smiley If MJ is going to make a fool of himself he might as well go the whole Hog and duet with Cyrus, let him get it out of his system winking smiley There is a word for people like MJ but i cant use it on here

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: September 28, 2015 21:41

Cristiano Radtke
DandelionPowderman

I didn't realize the album wasn't out yet. I thought it came out at the same time as the single. Here's hoping it's never released if the single is any indication of what to expect.

DP if you haven't heard the single he released last spring DO NOT go looking for it! Unless you just want to have a laugh. I'm a long time A-smith fan and also at least at moderate fan of country music and the tune was one of the worst I've ever heard. As comedy it was another matter all together. If one were to play a drinking game where you drank every time Steven used a vocalism that he had previously used in A-smith, you might never put the bottle down!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: September 28, 2015 21:47

mr_dja
Cristiano Radtke
DandelionPowderman

I didn't realize the album wasn't out yet. I thought it came out at the same time as the single. Here's hoping it's never released if the single is any indication of what to expect.

DP if you haven't heard the single he released last spring DO NOT go looking for it! Unless you just want to have a laugh. I'm a long time A-smith fan and also at least at moderate fan of country music and the tune was one of the worst I've ever heard. As comedy it was another matter all together. If one were to play a drinking game where you drank every time Steven used a vocalism that he had previously used in A-smith, you might never put the bottle down!

Peace,
Mr DJA

LOL! Now I HAVE to check it out grinning smiley

Date: September 28, 2015 21:48

with sssoul
HMS
Regarding Keith´s appearences in pirate movies, that is completely different

It wasn't completely different for the outraged guardians of the legacy who were screeching about it at the time.
It was exactly the same. Inappropate. A pardoy. A disgrace. Substantial damage to the Stones' cred. The works.
And look what happened.

No, it was completely different. Are you saying this is the same. You can't differentiate between singing with a talentless bimbo to acting in a Disney film. Reading some of your posts do you go out of your way to be awkward and obnoxious or does it just come naturally.

Posted by: keef94 ()
Date: September 28, 2015 21:49

mitch
All I can see here is that Mick is much more open minded than a lot of his fans.

NO KIDDING. The kvetching on here is just ridiculous. The world's greatest frontman of all time shows up as a special guest to the current standard-bearer, and people are complaining? Unbelievable.

I had the good fortune to be there, and FWIW, I think that Taylor Swift puts on an absolutely great, completely crowd-pleasing show. Feel free to use that to dismiss my comments altogether, or maybe consider that the times, they have-a-changed, and the Stones aren't some nostalgia act playing the county fair circuit. Mick Jagger is hands-down the biggest guest on this, the biggest tour of the year, and the crowd appropriately lost their ever-lovin' minds. It was outstanding.

Off my soapbox. I will now let the thread resume, so that we can hear how irrelevant Taylor Swift is, how embarrassing this was for the Stones' legacy, and how the world just spun off its axis.

Date: September 28, 2015 21:56

keef94
mitch

NO KIDDING. The kvetching on here is just ridiculous. The world's greatest frontman of all time shows up as a special guest to the current standard-bearer, and people are complaining? Unbelievable.

I had the good fortune to be there, and FWIW, I think that Taylor Swift puts on an absolutely great, completely crowd-pleasing show. Feel free to use that to dismiss my comments altogether, or maybe consider that the times, they have-a-changed, and the Stones aren't some nostalgia act playing the county fair circuit. Mick Jagger is hands-down the biggest guest on this, the biggest tour of the year, and the crowd appropriately lost their ever-lovin' minds. It was outstanding.

Off my soapbox. I will now let the thread resume, so that we can hear how irrelevant Taylor Swift is, how embarrassing this was for the Stones' legacy, and how the world just spun off its axis.

It would be less confusing if you just changed your name to Mick94

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 28, 2015 22:07

How long will it take for this thread be used again?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2019
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home