Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 17
Re: Mick guests with Taylor Swift - Nashville, September 26
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 27, 2015 19:13

Naturalust
As far as the performance goes, am I the only one who hears that they are both singing out of tune at times?

Nope, you aren't!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 27, 2015 19:17

jlowe
It's show biz after all. No big deal.
Some of us will remember the whoha from die hard blues fans when their old heroes were on stage with white middle class British kids.
Didnt do the likes of Muddy, John Lee and the others careers any harm at all.
Yeah no big deal, in the big picture it will be forgotten.

But when you mention the 'whoha' above, it's not really the same...those white middle class British kids were playing the blues.
It would more be like Muddy singing one his of his classics along with Olivia Newton John, or Cher, or Donny Osmond, or Bobby Sherman....never happened because just doesn't make sense.

Here we have Mick singing with a pop idol while seemingly acknowledging her 'importance', 'relevance', and her 'skills', etc. just by being there.
Obviously she's famous and successful, but for what reasons? She can't sing very well imo, but millions of 12 year olds would beg to differ.
Does Mick really need to be associated with Taylor Swift fans? I don't think so, but evidently he thinks it's a good idea.

Glad the teenyboppers were exposed to Mick (and Stones), but it wasn't really a great introduction imo.

Posted by: CloudCat ()
Date: September 27, 2015 19:17

keefriff99
[
I don't think the shoes are to give him a couple of inches of height...he seems to perform and dance primarily on the balls of his feet, so the lifts in the back serve an athletic purpose.

His act doesn't bother me...I mean, people gave him shit about performing like that when he in his THIRTIES...then 40s...50s...at this point...ride it to the wheels fall off, baby.

We should all be so lucky to be that healthy at 72.

you said it, kid!

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: September 27, 2015 19:23

keefriff99
stone4ever
As a fan of the Stones i have to say i find it a bit awkward now with Jagger. The high heeled trainers (snickers) and wig like hair, its becoming a freak show. A 72 year old trying to be young, rather than just being young at heart, leaves me uneasy about the spectacle. I do wish he would be more honest with his delivery and performance. Robert Plant springs to mind.
I don't think the shoes are to give him a couple of inches of height...he seems to perform and dance primarily on the balls of his feet, so the lifts in the back serve an athletic purpose.

His act doesn't bother me...I mean, people gave him shit about performing like that when he in his THIRTIES...then 40s...50s...at this point...ride it to the wheels fall off, baby.

Its not just that is it. He is clearly much taller than his band-mates now, as opposed to pictures from previous decades. They certainly do gain height. I am a runner and not a single person from my club wear heeled shoes for an athletic benefit. He is a healthy 72 for sure, but i would rather he concentrated on all aspects of performance. Its not all about being the fastest, ask Mr Richards. Less can be more sometimes, its nice to mix it up a bit. Its not a race to the finish , that bus will pass very soon now for Mr Jagger, and lets face it singing with young girls with terrible voices should be a bus that has long passed for MJ

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 27, 2015 19:28

In a way I think this kind of thing for Mick is his way of establishing himself as a pop sensation apart from his band. Perhaps making up for the less than superstardom he achieved as a solo artist. I mean who even knows who's in Taylor Swifts band? It's all about the front person with pop music these days and at some level I think Jagger identifies with that concept and might even feel the Stones are just his backing band. A Mick Jagger and the Rolling Stones kind of thing. lol

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 27, 2015 19:33

stone4ever
As a fan of the Stones i have to say i find it a bit awkward now with Jagger. The high heeled trainers (snickers) and wig like hair, its becoming a freak show. A 72 year old trying to be young, rather than just being young at heart, leaves me uneasy about the spectacle. I do wish he would be more honest with his delivery and performance. Robert Plant springs to mind.

I agree it's all very odd...like Peter Pan - "The Man Never Grew Up".

Indeed he can still 'move like Jagger' when he wants to, and that's fine for some I suppose (preferably at a Stones show),
but just looks strange for a 72 year old to be doing it in front of a bunch of teeny boppers. And the wig like hair and sneakers...odd.

Date: September 27, 2015 19:37

not heels - platforms in the design of the shoe

except the pair mick jagger wore last night were ways and ways more cooler

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-27 19:53 by CloudCat.

Date: September 27, 2015 19:46

Naturalust
In a way I think this kind of thing for Mick is his way of establishing himself as a pop sensation apart from his band. Perhaps making up for the less than superstardom he achieved as a solo artist. I mean who even knows who's in Taylor Swifts band? It's all about the front person with pop music these days and at some level I think Jagger identifies with that concept and might even feel the Stones are just his backing band. A Mick Jagger and the Rolling Stones kind of thing. lol

That is exactly how he see's it. Himself band leader with the Stones as his band
MJ always goes for the big one of late, Grammys, U2 with Fergie, The White House.
Maximum effect born out of desire to prove and show he Still has it, sadly what he 'has' is becoming an absurd Peter Pan complex.

Date: September 27, 2015 19:54

Hairball
stone4ever

I agree it's all very odd...like Peter Pan - "The Man Never Grew Up".

Indeed he can still 'move like Jagger' when he wants to, and that's fine for some I suppose (preferably at a Stones show),
but just looks strange for a 72 year old to be doing it in front of a bunch of teeny boppers. And the wig like hair and sneakers...odd.

The Moves Like Jagger video may very well be the reason we see MJ still performing today. It flattered his ego, and he realised young people were still enjoying the Myth that is MJ. The fact that the video was a send up parody went completely over his head lol.

Date: September 27, 2015 19:55

is there something wrong with peter pan all of a sudden?

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 27, 2015 20:06

Beast
35love
Mick's got mojo coming out of his ears.
Appreciate the utube link.
Taylor sounded flat and off key on Satisfaction, but I'm no musician.
Jagger gets a '10'

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Well put.

Reading a lot of the negative posts here about Jagger make me realize how old his fans have gotten. A lot have turned into the grumpy "get a haircut" type old farts we all used to make fun of.

Date: September 27, 2015 20:08

stone4ever
Naturalust

That is exactly how he see's it. Himself band leader with the Stones as his band
MJ always goes for the big one of late, Grammys, U2 with Fergie, The White House.
Maximum effect born out of desire to prove and show he Still has it, sadly what he 'has' is becoming an absurd Peter Pan complex.

But I'm also trying to think of what Jagger the mature, comfortable with growing old guy, embracing old age might look like and find myself drawing blanks. LOL I do however think the music would benefit, which has always been the most important thing for me.

You get the feeling Mick will just disappear completely from the public eye when he can't project the youthful energy he seems to try so hard to do. Unlike Keith, he might have put too much investment into a thing which is unsustainable in the end. Can't really blame him for it, he is amazingly fit and youthful and it's a good thing really but will we ever see a Mick Jagger who is back into performance for the sake of the music again? Someone who is singing for only the music like the old blues masters he once adored? I kind of doubt it actually.

Posted by: Librarian ()
Date: September 27, 2015 20:13

Jagger is an entertainer and, still is even at 72, one of the best, I wish I had seen him in the seventies not just his seventies.

I used to like Swift more, but her entire persona, including music, seems based on a focus group. I get she's in awe of being young in NYC, but being middle age in the Midwest (me) it's kind of grating.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 27, 2015 20:19

I'v been putting off watching this because I was afraid it might turn out to be embarrassing, but that's a good duet and seemed to be appreciated by the crowd. I agree with Naturalust though - I don't know what Mick will do when he can't jump about any more. And I really don't like her outfit - but then I'm not the target audience.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 27, 2015 20:32

...Jagger's PR move was brilliant...just as everyone was talking about Eddie Veder's duet with Beyoncé in NYC yesterday, Mick pulls this stunt with Taylor Swift..... he shoots and scores..it was a powerplay goal for sure.

Re: Mick guesting with Taylor Swift - Nashville, September 26?
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: September 27, 2015 20:39

James Kirk
Pathetic!

It says a lot that Keith is having success all over the globe (his album will be a top 10 hit on the global chart) with a mature understated album for adults, while Mick is trying to get the attention of 14 year old girls.

How long before Keith is ripping Mick in the press over this? And yes I know that the Stones had Taylor Swift up on stage, but I'm 100% convinced that neither Keith nor Charlie had any idea who she was and were simply going along with Mick's wishes.

Sorry James.

Why complaining?

Is Marianne Faithfull more worthy because of..what..?

ATGB rendition with Jagger-Swift duet was a nice duet.

Let's keep the good mood..

Kahoosier is right.. Can we Make it Fun Again

[www.iorr.org]

Date: September 27, 2015 21:03

The Joker
James Kirk
Pathetic!

It says a lot that Keith is having success all over the globe (his album will be a top 10 hit on the global chart) with a mature understated album for adults, while Mick is trying to get the attention of 14 year old girls.

How long before Keith is ripping Mick in the press over this? And yes I know that the Stones had Taylor Swift up on stage, but I'm 100% convinced that neither Keith nor Charlie had any idea who she was and were simply going along with Mick's wishes.

Sorry James.

Why complaining?

[www.iorr.org]

Is it a problem on here for straight talk. If we don't say it as we see it what's the point in saying it at all ??

Date: September 27, 2015 21:10

stone4ever
The Joker
James Kirk
Pathetic!

Sorry James.

Why complaining?

[www.iorr.org]

Is it a problem on here for straight talk. If we don't say it as we see it what's the point in saying it at all ??

No problem at all. Your proper comment also applies to my post. We have the right to exchange views and disagree. Goes both ways.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: September 27, 2015 21:19

Mick Jagger can do what he wants. He did more in 5 minutes to try to ensure the Stones' legacy gets passed on to the kids than Keith ever did. And I should add that Taylor Swift's fan base is more than just 12-year-old girls.

Anyway, the hardcore Aerosmith fans have it harder: her previous guest, Steven Tyler, turned the kids on to Aerosmith. Unfortunately it was with their worst song.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 27, 2015 21:25

James Kirk

It's two sides of the same coin : MJ brings the name of the band to new markets and makes sure that at the next show there'll be a good % of young ppl who see the band for the very 1st time.

Keef brings the old shaman/bluesman "I've seen it all" "authentic" side to the band's image. "I recorded my new album on tape" etc etc.

It's a bloody efficient division of work and like it or not it's a marketing strategy designed to enable the Stones to remain cool.

After all we're dealing with two most intelligent people coming from the 1960's Brit musical scene. They're still there at the top so they know the ropes.

Date: September 27, 2015 21:58

Reading the two posts above this..

We really mingle with some smart people here.. DeanGoodman, dcba..Very thoughtful market-oriented analysis.. . Just unveiling the whole thing in three lines.. Nothing to do with being lenient on Sunday.. The power of the pen...I'm jealous.. Almost..

Date: September 27, 2015 22:05

Naturalust
Micks no fool. This got him as much PR and attention than month's of Keith's PR machinery working overtime.

As much as I may think it's weird for Mick to be shaking his ass at 71 with a 20-something year old on stage I also think it's probably cool for him to be playing his music to this younger audience. If he was up there doing a Taylor Swift tune I might feel a bit differently.

As far as the performance goes, am I the only one who hears that they are both singing out of tune at times? I guess this kind of spectacle isn't really about quality singing as much as posturing, dancing about and getting a rise out of the audience. Like the articles say this is all about watching Jagger perform with Swift because it sure ain't about listening to them making great music together, imo.

They're both way off key. Especially Mick. I saw he adjusted his IEM, but seemingly it didn't work..

Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 27, 2015 22:14

Thanks to Robert Bagel for the report. Lucky you to be there!

I am happy for Mick, to see him ejoying stage life. And to those who are grumpy and can't look at this in a positive way: Take a break. Go see a movie. Don't bother us with your misery here.

Bjornulf

Date: September 27, 2015 22:18

DeanGoodman
Mick Jagger can do what he wants. He did more in 5 minutes to try to ensure the Stones' legacy gets passed on to the kids than Keith ever did. And I should add that Taylor Swift's fan base is more than just 12-year-old girls.

Anyway, the hardcore Aerosmith fans have it harder: her previous guest, Steven Tyler, turned the kids on to Aerosmith. Unfortunately it was with their worst song.

Why do the Stones need or want 15 year old fans

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: September 27, 2015 22:23

Mick looks fabulous, electric and ready for more!!!!

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 27, 2015 22:25

stone4ever
DeanGoodman

Why do the Stones need or want 15 year old fans
Is that a serious question? Mick is looking at this from a legacy perspective now.

It's easy to say, "The Stones will be played by generations for the next 200 years", but it won't happen on its own.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 27, 2015 22:27

stone4ever
keefriff99
stone4ever

Its not just that is it. He is clearly much taller than his band-mates now, as opposed to pictures from previous decades. They certainly do gain height. I am a runner and not a single person from my club wear heeled shoes for an athletic benefit. He is a healthy 72 for sure, but i would rather he concentrated on all aspects of performance. Its not all about being the fastest, ask Mr Richards. Less can be more sometimes, its nice to mix it up a bit. Its not a race to the finish , that bus will pass very soon now for Mr Jagger, and lets face it singing with young girls with terrible voices should be a bus that has long passed for MJ
Not so much for running, but for dancing. We all know that Mick studies ballet to keep fit, and a large part of that is foot/ankle strength. Just watch how he uses his feet while moving...very light, almost tip toeing even when he's just walking. He might naturally be a fore/mid foot striker when it comes to his running stride, but having a slight incline probably eases that motion.

Posted by: Moonshine ()

Mick doing this, Keith doing his thing, poles apart.
Can anyone seriously see these two getting in a studio?

Posted by: Librarian ()

Legacy, but more importantly because the Stones are art. Why do we have museums? I am happy to report I was turned back on to the Stones by a teenager. I went this summer to see them play because of a teenage relative - they dragged to me to shows. I had written them off as oldies station fodder.

I applaud Mick for introducing the youth to rock and roll.

"Why do the Stones need or want 15 year old fans[/quote]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-27 22:28 by Librarian.

Date: September 27, 2015 22:39

DandelionPowderman
They're both way off key. Especially Mick. I saw he adjusted his IEM, but seemingly it didn't work..

You are assuming the problem was with the monitoring, not so convinced.

Got to give a nod to Taylor Swift's guitar player Paul Sidoti who did a fine job on Satisfaction here.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1936
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home