Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 17
Re: Mick guests with Taylor Swift - Nashville, September 26
Posted by: Berry88 ()
Date: September 29, 2015 14:24

Mick should be doing some blues, like he did in the White House. Well, it was the White House, more media, publicity, etc. At the end, he's looking for attention.

One question, Do you imagine Keith or Charlie doing this shit? Or Clapton? Or Beck? Or Billy Gibbons? Or Buddy Guy?

Mick won't ever understand that he is famous because their use, with the Stones, of the american popular music, blues, soul, folk, country, rock 'n roll, etc. Nobody cares about his attempts of being cool, modern or some kind of strange main stream pop star. In fact, all the times he trys to do that, it's embarrasing (the Bowie clip, the awful Superheavy clip, this pathetic duo with that plastic girl).

So sad. We won't had a new Stones album with old school tracks.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 29, 2015 14:40

Berry88
Mick should be doing some blues, like he did in the White House. Well, it was the White House, more media, publicity, etc. At the end, he's looking for attention.

He did it the WH blues gig for the folklore.

Since 1989 what Jagger's been targeting is NEW MARKETS. He got Japan (1990) South Africa Eastern Europe & South America (1995) Turkey (1998) China (2003) etc etc.

Now that geographically there are no new markets to break he goes after new markets demographically speaking.

The string of onstage guests over the years is just that. Jagger wants new young fans to show up at the next show/tour. Who guested in 89? Sugar Blue and Johnnie Jonhson (= paying our tribute to the blues). WHo guested in 94? Lenny Kravitz and Sheryl Crow.
Big change! That's when Jagger realized the potential of inviting hot new young singers. After that it was non-stop : Eddie Vedder Dave Matthews etc etc.

BAck to 2015 : Swift gets cred from a legend, Jagger sees the TS market open up for him. Not bad for 5 minutes of work! thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-29 14:48 by dcba.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: September 29, 2015 15:13

The TS market isnt open for Mick or The Stones after this appearance. The TS-fans gazed at this "ass-wiggling grandpa" like some sort of alien from outer space and most of them wondered who he actually was. The TS-fans do not go to a TS-concert and walk out as Stones-fans. Okay, maybe two of them, but they maybe dont have the hundreds of dollars to buy 25 Stones-albums, so this has no effect at all. To the majority is was just a flick anyway and is forgotten two hours later.

What lingers is the fact that Mick humiliated the musicians of his generation in general by acting this way. As stated by others before, no renowned musician of his generation would ever do a thing like that. It´s useless, senseless and of course disappointing for life-long Stones-fans.

Does anybody believe Stones-fans on the other hand turned into TS-fans or Perry-fans after seeing their renditions of As Tears Go By and Beast Of Burden? No way. Than of course it must be silly to expect TS-fans convert into Stones-fans within five minutes.

Mick aimed towards younger audiences with his solo-albums and gloriously failed. He would have to be very very stupid, if he would really believe a five-minutes spot during a TS-concert could do more for him and make him all of a sudden attractive for minors.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: September 29, 2015 15:28

stone4ever
It's been interesting, see you all for another round of heated discussion the next time a Stone does something drastic born out of 'ego' gone mad syndrome ( caused by Crosseyed Heart ) or who knows, next time we may discuss a Stone's event that's mind- blowingly good. Surprised no one had the intuition to see what sprung MJ into drastic action. Crosseyed Heart will have a devastating effect on MJ, this is just the tip of the iceberg. Was it Cloudcat who said change your name to Stone up to a point. It is stone4ever as long as the line of reason is not crossed. MJ is beginning to Cross that line of reason in my opinion. Ignorance is bliss, if you think its cool for MJ to Sing a pointless rendition of satisfaction with a young girl in front teeny teens, then good for you, i think you have more of this stuff to come. With Florence Welch it had a different vibe, she gave MJ a run for his money and Miss Welch was a worthy opponent without the cringe factor. Lets see more of that, lets have Steve Tyler give MJ a run for his money, lets keep it to the over 25's

Mission accomplished. Taylor Swift turned 25 in December of 2014 making her 25+ by the time Mick guested at her show. By your own standards, you now have nothing more to complain about.

Peace
Mr DJA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-29 15:51 by mr_dja.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 29, 2015 15:58

Madre mio what a thread!>grinning smiley<

Actually these two sticky threads now is a great showcase for Keith Richards fanaticism going out of hand at the moment. CROSSEYED HEART is heralded as the Lord's Second Coming, and Jagger's cameo with the day's hottest pop star as the Evil's reincarnation on Earth by the same suspects... Even a cool-minded, but Keith's most loyal fan ever, with sssoul seemed to have her share of the on-going rage... Not even BV's words do not seem to effect anything...

"Richards clan" - that was a good one!grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-29 15:58 by Doxa.

Date: September 29, 2015 16:19

Doxa

Actually these two sticky threads now is a great showcase for Keith Richards fanaticism going out of hand at the moment. CROSSEYED HEART is heralded as the Lord's Second Coming, and Jagger's cameo with the day's hottest pop star as the Evil's reincarnation on Earth by the same suspects... Even a cool-minded, but Keith's most loyal fan ever, with sssoul seemed to have her share of the on-going rage... Not even BV's words do not seem to effect anything...

- Doxa

Do you think Charlie's clan approves? winking smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 29, 2015 16:35

"Actually these two sticky threads now is a great showcase for Keith Richards fanaticism going out of hand at the moment. CROSSEYED HEART is heralded as the Lord's Second Coming, and Jagger's cameo with the day's hottest pop star as the Evil's reincarnation on Earth by the same suspects..."

yeah ppl buy the myth that Keith is the pure one cos he doesn't make any compromise while Jagger's a whore.

C'mon wake up! Keef sells his "authentic stick to my roots" thing while Jagger uses his tremendous ability to hang around with anyone and still look cool.

keef and Mick are two sides of the same coin, two expert PR-men both working for one thing : THE STONES!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-29 18:02 by dcba.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: September 29, 2015 16:38

It's just so disheartening that our rebellious, bohemian, street fighting, devil worshiping personification of all that is cool has shattered our illusions in just 5 minutes. He at the very least should have his knighthood revoked.

I haven't been this disenchanted since Lennon claimed to be more popular than JC.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 29, 2015 16:41

Berry88

One question, Do you imagine Keith or Charlie doing this shit? Or Clapton? Or Beck? Or Billy Gibbons? Or Buddy Guy?

Mick won't ever understand that he is famous because their use, with the Stones, of the american popular music, blues, soul, folk, country, rock 'n roll, etc. Nobody cares about his attempts of being cool, modern or some kind of strange main stream pop star. In fact, all the times he trys to do that, it's embarrasing (the Bowie clip, the awful Superheavy clip, this pathetic duo with that plastic girl).

So sad. We won't had a new Stones album with old school tracks.

Actually Beck performed his latest single Dreams with Taylor Swift this summer so yes I can see any number of artists doing what Jagger did last week. I really try to be careful when responding to someone but honestly this thread has a lot of holes and ambiguity. just saying...confused smiley

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: September 29, 2015 16:47

bleedingman
It's just so disheartening that our rebellious, bohemian, street fighting, devil worshiping personification of all that is cool has shattered our illusions in just 5 minutes.

You bought all those rubbish?
Time to grow up.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 29, 2015 17:11

I believe the more music there is in the world the better.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: September 29, 2015 17:24

mitch
bleedingman
It's just so disheartening that our rebellious, bohemian, street fighting, devil worshiping personification of all that is cool has shattered our illusions in just 5 minutes.

Time to grow up.

I think he was being facetious, i.e. agreeing with you.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 29, 2015 17:29

Doxa

- Doxa

er... I don't know where you can see with_sssoul raging - you must have sharper eyes than me. The anti-Swift uproar seems to come from both camps - as do those who can't see what all the fuss is about.

Posted by: rbagel ()
Date: September 29, 2015 17:31

bv
I did not realize there were so many conservative people around here. Putting people and performers in categories. Making rules about who Mick and Keith are supposed to be seen on stage with.

This is the band who recorded STREET FIGHTING MAN. Get rid of the rules. Why suddenly so many rules to follow? Is there good and bad music? Are some people better than others?

While there has been a large number of encouraging posts, the ignorance and stupidity has indeed been amazing (and also sadly familiar in the way that some choose that route because it is much easier than thinking). For me this all confirms the power of Swift as an artist; turning Nashville on its ear by writing her own songs, forcing Apple to pay artists who were not going to be paid, and now (God forbid!) showing enough strength in personality and charisma to get Mick Jagger on stage. Thank you once again TS and Mick, you truly do deserve all of this attention!

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: September 29, 2015 17:34

mitch
bleedingman

Time to grow up.

At least now you know that they were just illusions. Kind of a bummer that it took +/-50 years for you to realize it but better late than never. Not to burst your bubble but the Grinch, the Easter Bunny & The Great Pumpkin are all fictitious/illusions as well. winking smiley

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: September 29, 2015 17:53

DeanGoodman
mitch
bleedingman

Time to grow up.

I think he was being facetious, i.e. agreeing with you.

Ahem, you're right, I was a bit too "1st level" on that one.
So many weird reactions on this thread!

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: September 29, 2015 18:02

Mick Jagger has done Mick Jagger here, what to do Keith Richards? This contrast is stupid, Keith R. recently said that Mick is the best to be on stage! We are sure that this is a forum dedicated to Rolling Stones?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 29, 2015 18:09

Doxa
Even a cool-minded, but Keith's most loyal fan ever, with sssoul seemed to have her share of the on-going rage

Excuse me? Please point out where I show any "rage" about Mick's performance (or anything else in this thread).

I don't give a good goddam what Mick Jagger does in his spare time. I was entertained by the clip and I hope he enjoyed himself.
The outraged guardians of the Stones' legacy are just funny - especially because
they're missing some fundamental points of the very legacy they're so strident about protecting.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 29, 2015 18:22

I'm more afraid of Mick's home made demos for next Stones album...this duet will be forgotten soon.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 29, 2015 18:45

with sssoul
Doxa
Even a cool-minded, but Keith's most loyal fan ever, with sssoul seemed to have her share of the on-going rage

Excuse me? Please point out where I show any "rage" about Mick's performance (or anything else in this thread).

Oh no, I didn't mean it like that, but probably I put my words wrongly. You weren't showing any rage, but you were - mistakenly - seem to get in the middle of discussion full of that. Your comparison to pirate movie seemingly weren't right...

- Doxa

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 29, 2015 18:48

Why is this thread a sticky?
Had it not been, it might have been on page 3 or 4 by now. smiling smiley

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 29, 2015 18:52

Doxa
Oh no, I didn't mean it like that, but probably I put my words wrongly. You weren't showing any rage,
but you were - mistakenly - seem to get in the middle of discussion full of that.
Your comparison to pirate movie seemingly weren't right...

What I compared was the outrage expressed now by certain posters
with the outrage expressed by certain posters at Keith's involvement in the pirate movies.
Blasts of huffing and puffing in both cases, with exactly the same result.

I love the Rolling Stones

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: September 29, 2015 19:30

Boy, I can't believe how much traction this post has generated. At first when I read this I was disappointed like many others on this board, but I quickly came to my senses and realized that this is classic Mick Jagger. Why should his behavior surprise people on this board? He has tried to keep his presence known in the younger market and/or current trends for years now-whether it was teaming up with Michael Jackson in the 1980's (didn't they do State of Shock together???), etc. And yes, it was probably this mindset that didn't win Keith Richards over in the 80's (with an accompanying 7 years hiatus from touring). Unfortunately, Mick Jagger is not same pouting, sneering, upstart that I remember who wrote songs like Street Fighting Man, Midnight Rambler, Brown Sugar, etc. THose days are gone. The man is in his 70's. If he wants to sniff around the likes of Taylor Swift and Katy Perry-go for it. That does not take away from the fact that he is still the best front man in rock, and he knows how to generate publicity.

Date: September 29, 2015 19:36

with sssoul
Doxa
Oh no, I didn't mean it like that, but probably I put my words wrongly. You weren't showing any rage,
but you were - mistakenly - seem to get in the middle of discussion full of that.
Your comparison to pirate movie seemingly weren't right...

What I compared was the outrage expressed now by certain posters
with the outrage expressed by certain posters at Keith's involvement in the pirate movies.
Blasts of huffing and puffing in both cases, with exactly the same result.

I love the Rolling Stones

I think he meant that you became a target of their rage ("had her share of the rage" ). If I'm wrong, nevermind grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-29 19:36 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 29, 2015 19:45

Sighunt
Boy, I can't believe how much traction this post has generated. At first when I read this I was disappointed like many others on this board, but I quickly came to my senses and realized that this is classic Mick Jagger. Why should his behavior surprise people on this board? He has tried to keep his presence known in the younger market and/or current trends for years now-whether it was teaming up with Michael Jackson in the 1980's (didn't they do State of Shock together???), etc. And yes, it was probably this mindset that didn't win Keith Richards over in the 80's (with an accompanying 7 years hiatus from touring). Unfortunately, Mick Jagger is not same pouting, sneering, upstart that I remember who wrote songs like Street Fighting Man, Midnight Rambler, Brown Sugar, etc. THose days are gone. The man is in his 70's. If he wants to sniff around the likes of Taylor Swift and Katy Perry-go for it. That does not take away from the fact that he is still the best front man in rock, and he knows how to generate publicity.

As to the first point that I put in bold text - yes, and it has long been forgotten. This too shall eventually pass.

As to the "sniff around" comment, hahaha! cool smiley

Posted by: mgguy ()
Date: September 29, 2015 19:49

maybe the guy just really likes to sing and dance.

Posted by: CloudCat ()
Date: September 29, 2015 19:55

HMS
The TS-fans do not go to a TS-concert and walk out as Stones-fans. Okay, maybe two of them, but they maybe dont have the hundreds of dollars to buy 25 Stones-albums, so this has no effect at all.

tee hee - buy albums

(they might download)

can we have a sticky for

things that the rolling stones did that really got me ballistic

from day one, they've been really good at getting people riled up and outraged

HMS
Mick humiliated the musicians of his generation in general by acting this way. As stated by others before, no renowned musician of his generation would ever do a thing like that. It´s useless, senseless and of course disappointing for life-long Stones-fans.

i was disturbed by the album cover of goat's head soup-- a lot! not the shrouds, but the goat head in a pot of boiling something. i still can't look at it

yep! they got me!

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 29, 2015 20:14

mgguy
maybe the guy just really likes to sing and dance.

HAH!! Yes, I think he does!

Taylor: Hey Mick, would you like to join me on stage for a song in Nashville? We can do Satisfication.

Mick: Wow, that would be fun Taylor. I love singing and dancing in front of an audience. I've been doing it now for over fifty years!

Taylor: You know, some Stones fans might not be happy with this, they might think it's just a PR move on your part.

Mick: Ah, f-ck em, if they can't take a joke.

smileys with beer

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 29, 2015 20:29

Doxa

- Doxa

Doxa - you write beautifully, as always...but I don't agree that it's Keith fanticism run amok. I think the majority of opinons on both threads have been thoughtful and balanced and have not gone for the comparison of Mick and Keith. But, it is amazing how fast things can spin out of control when a few people offer more divergent opinions...repeatedly, and use incendiary language to make their point. Just because someone says it well and often, doesn't mean they're right and you have to agree with them. I usually stay away, if I can. Or post once or twice on the subject, then let it go.

Turner - a text from my 21 year old daughter this morning: I just spent $300 on a Taylor Swift ticket.

She and two of her girlfriends are flying to Atlanta to see Swift in October. I'm going to meet them there to see my girl and spend some time with my old college mates. But, I'm almost tempted to get a ticket now to see the show. winking smiley

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 29, 2015 20:43

latebloomer
Doxa - you write beautifully, as always...but I don't agree that it's Keith fanticism run amok.

LOL. The whole board for many years now is fanticism run amok. Who are you trying to kid?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2104
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home