Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7374757677787980818283...LastNext
Current Page: 78 of 147
Re: New Rolling Stones studio album due out in 2016
Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: May 9, 2016 13:26

June and JUly:Recording sessions and mixing
Mid October:new album come out
Mick has told in a Brazilian TV interview:"We'll come back in the studio at the end of spring, no doubt!"
...So what's the problem?!?

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: May 9, 2016 14:06

DandelionPowderman
Bjorn
Thief in the night...a good song? Two chords and Keith mumbling for five minutes...People don´t expect much these days...

By that logic Mannish Boy isn't a good song, either. Don't forget where they come from musically...

This
thumbs up

I think that Thief in the night is one of the best song from Bridges to Babylon.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: May 9, 2016 14:54

mailexile67
June and JUly:Recording sessions and mixing
Mid October:new album come out
Mick has told in a Brazilian TV interview:"We'll come back in the studio at the end of spring, no doubt!"
...So what's the problem?!?

thumbs up

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: May 9, 2016 15:31

pepganzo
DandelionPowderman
Bjorn
Thief in the night...a good song? Two chords and Keith mumbling for five minutes...People don´t expect much these days...

By that logic Mannish Boy isn't a good song, either. Don't forget where they come from musically...

This
thumbs up

I think that Thief in the night is one of the best song from Bridges to Babylon.

Nice!! thumbs up

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: May 9, 2016 16:46

Even allowing for their leisurely work rate, it seems inconceivable that the new album won't be released by October...when it looks as though they will be back on the road.
If only to please their record company.
It does seem a stop start recording affair but I guess the days of concentrated recording time (eg BB early 1968) are long gone.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 9, 2016 17:27

They don't like spending a long time in the studio any more. They are more than capable of having substantially completed a new album in the limited time they have spent in the studio since December. The days are long gone when they would spend a month jamming to develop ideas, then spend a few months laying down backing tracks, and then spend a few months mixing and overdubbing. That is costly and difficult on their relationships. They come in with a demo (Mick stated he had written songs that seemed like Rolling Stones songs, blues songs, and pop songs), they cut the track after working out the arrangement as a band, they don't hang around to argue during mixing. They are professional and efficient these days.

Date: May 9, 2016 17:43

mpj200
Rocky Dijon
mpj200
Rocky Dijon
mpj200
Rocky Dijon
His executive producer credit is used to denote seniority. It's a movie/TV credit rarely used in the music world. A bit of a joke. Meantime, look at the track by track credits. His name is on nearly every track as producer. The Dust Brothers and Danny Saber did some production work, but final say went to Don Was. The only thing you can say is the number of different people mixing the tracks.

Every album has an executive producer. It's certainly not a joke. It may be the band, the producer, the A&R guy or even the label head. But every record has an executive producer that oversees the production ( and many times pays for) the record.

Yeah, I know. I said it's rarely credited in the music world. Don produced or co-produced nearly every track on the album. His executive producer credit doesn't mean he paid for the studio time. He was the senior producer. The Dust Brothers worked on four tracks. Danny Saber worked on a couple tracks. Their producer credits are for a particular song they either helped shape or transformed during mixing and overdubbing.

The only other executive producer credit on a Stones-related album is Jane Rose for LIVE AT THE HOLLYWOOD PALLADIUM. She didn't produce the album or pay for the sessions. She suggested Keith release it officially because of the The Swingin' Pig bootleg. Again, a bit of a joke credit.

You said it was rarely used in the music world and a joke. I'm saying that's far from true in most cases. It's sometimes someone from the label who puts the project together. Many times they are the ones that initiate the project, hire the producer and call the shots. The Stones are the exception to the rule. They have always done things a little different. But with the vast majority of bands, the executive producer is the person that makes things happen.

It is rarely used. Very few albums or CDs carry an executive producer credit. And calling Don Was an executive producer is a bit of a joke credit in the same sense listing Chris Kimsey as an associate producer was. Next time you talk to the band, ask them.

95% or higher of every record released, through a label, has an exec producer. Whether it's listed on the liner notes or not. And there is zero connection, job description wise, between an executive producer and an album producer. They are
not the same thing, other than the exec producer may hire the producer.

mpj200, I like to think you're a reasonably intelligent individual. At no point were we discussing whether an album has an executive producer role as part of its production - something generally only known to insiders or someone who has made an album since the role is not credited on the album sleeve 99.99% of the time. We were discussing the credit on the sleeve of a single album noting Don Was as executive producer. Now if you would like to continue to argue we can, but again, when you're done giving the band breathing space, ask them if it was a joke.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: May 9, 2016 18:37

I hope they craft the songs with a little more love - bridges, intros, key changes for solos, variations etc.

that seems to be the stuff that can make a song really sparkle, but it´s also the thing that seems to be left aside in the rush. . .

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 9, 2016 18:47

Mick probably had that worked out in the demos he's been accumulating over the past 10 years and the band might have made a few suggestions here and there...what's apparently going to be missing is some instrumental sparkle brought by outside musicians. Sure at the end of the day it's the quality of the songs that matters (Mick admitted that in 1997 interviews) but it can't hurt to have guys like Waddy Wachtel or Benmont Tench adding some "sparkle", said "sparkle" was pretty much completely missing from ABB...if you discount Keith's self-proclaimed "fairy dust".

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-09 22:47 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: May 9, 2016 20:05

peoplewitheyes
I hope they craft the songs with a little more love - bridges, intros, key changes for solos, variations etc.

that seems to be the stuff that can make a song really sparkle, but it´s also the thing that seems to be left aside in the rush. . .

thumbs up

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: May 9, 2016 20:16

If we're comparing movies to albums of music, the role of the movie producer would be the excecutive producer of an album. Whereas the album producer's duty would be more like of a movie director. The latter are not completely the same, though.

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: May 9, 2016 20:47

peoplewitheyes

I agree with this!

And I will maintain to my dying day that "Steel Wheels" contains some of the best "professional" songwriting by the Gilmmers. Every song except "Break the Spell" and the sui generis "Continental Drift" boasts an outstanding (literally, as in "stand out") bridge or middle-eight section.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: May 9, 2016 20:51

DandelionPowderman
It was a joke, simply because he was so much more than a "Executive Producer" on B2B. I bet he laughed, too. Or maybe not...

Ahhhh Yes. We read ya on that. Cheers. (was an informative conversation though).

Date: May 9, 2016 23:21

Dylan has an Executive Producer: Jack Frost.
They agree on everything.

Date: May 10, 2016 02:23

Rocky Dijon
They don't like spending a long time in the studio any more. They are more than capable of having substantially completed a new album in the limited time they have spent in the studio since December. The days are long gone when they would spend a month jamming to develop ideas, then spend a few months laying down backing tracks, and then spend a few months mixing and overdubbing. That is costly and difficult on their relationships. They come in with a demo (Mick stated he had written songs that seemed like Rolling Stones songs, blues songs, and pop songs), they cut the track after working out the arrangement as a band, they don't hang around to argue during mixing. They are professional and efficient these days.

I agree with you to a point and that is accurate in several regards. However not 'all' of the songs they work on are demos brought in.. Mick and Keith still write from scratch on some songs.

Here is my question .. and I 'know' it is hard to ask something of someone if they do not feel comfortable in doing something as they used to .. I realize times change and relationships change.. even in bands Lol. I realize chemistry's change and people are less tolerant or things become different over time and with age. I get all that .. HOWEVER why not try to incorporate a 'some' of that group effort again ...even in segments or try to take take the old approach to a degree ...(see below).

Perhaps they NEED a little spending time in the studio from the beginning to create something that is both great (and interesting or daring or truly unique).

Lol I'm not saying they need to eat & sleep in the studio together as they once did on a few records lol. I'm simply saying why not spend some time on and off in there creating and exploring things at the group level again. Let the songs evolve and experiment a bit again when it's open to such.

They can take breaks.. even a week or two off in between .. or a few days off a week ...whatever... but why not do some exploring and get into creating songs and see where the songs take them as they once did ... just as well as having Mick and Keith write the stuff or using demos brought in? I think that element is what's needed about now studio wise.

Perhaps that is sort of what they did or are doing this time out (as well as taking into consideration and working on Mick / Keiths demos as has become a part of the norm)?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-10 02:32 by IanBillen.

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: May 10, 2016 02:31

ian, if you think they write together from scratch these days you should find a new hobby.

Date: May 10, 2016 03:05

BILLPERKS
ian, if you think they write together from scratch these days you should find a new hobby.

Right we know Bill. You know because you were there. I guess all the talk about Back of My Hand, It Wont Take Long and Driving Too Fast being created there at Micks house in France (including the friggin time of day and the very conception of which) is all horse shit. We know.. you're right and Mick, Keith, and Don Was are lying to us about those particular songs and how and where they were conceived... You're right.. those were demos brought in. They are full of shit .. In fact you wrote them and brought them in as demos right? Mick, Keith and Don Was are trying to railroad you.

I'll take your word on it once again. Thanks -

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-10 03:09 by IanBillen.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: May 10, 2016 03:41

Ian, about 60-70% of the ABB songs were done when they got together to record:

The ones I laid on (Mick) were Rough Justice, Infamy, and This Place Is Empty. Mick comes in far more prepared than I do.

- Keith Richards, July 2005

Mick came up with the basic song (Let Me Down Slow) but I came up with the chimes (sings descending major chorus melody). But I'd say that one's more Mick than me, absolutely. You can tell.

I laid down drum loops on the demos and certain grooves, and I ended up working with Charlie and working up those specific grooves, like on Rain Fall Down. In the old days when you did demos, you couldn't really carry them over into recording. But now I just took certain elements, and I've kept elements, so it saves you time. And also you can get a cetain kind of feel sometimes when you inititially do it, too.

- Mick Jagger, November 2005

It's a Mick tour de force, in a way (about Streets Of Love), but we all really enjoy playing it.

Mick came up with that (Back Of My Hand). One night, I thought I was hearing this old Muddy Waters track I didn't know, but it turned out to be Mick working on a slide part for Back of My Hand. He's always been a good, smooth acoustic player, but the electric seemed like an untamed beast for him until this year. I thought: My God! The boy's finally got it.

(About Biggest Mistake)
I thought it was about time (Mick) owned up and stepped out of that closed shell. I know he went through bad periods, even if he didn't want to write about it.

- Keith Richards, 2005

Oh No, Not You Again is based on a real incident. But I made it funnier than it was.

- Mick Jagger, July 2005

I spoke to Mick about it (Sweet Neocon). Personally, I find politicians a very pallid subject. I said to Mick, Are you sure these guys are worth a Rolling Stones song? But he felt strongly about it and he writes the songs as well as myself. I said, If you feel like that about it and you feel it needs to be said, then I'm backing you up, pal.

- Keith Richards, August 2005

It always does affect it because I'd done, like, the "Alfie" thing with Dave Stewart [of Eurythmics], and Dave and I, what we did originally was, we took a suitcase full of computers to one of my houses down in the islands, and we did a lot of stuff there we actually ended up using. ...I started doing demos a similar way [for "A Bigger Bang"]. I laid down drum loops on the demos and certain grooves, and I ended up working with Charlie and working up those specific grooves, like on "Rain Fell Down". I'm not saying every track was like that, but I did actually use that on "Rain Fell Down" and "Laugh, I Nearly Died."

In the studio, (Keith and I are) not in the same room together. I'm usually with Mick and Don Was. Keith will often do his bits first. But One-Take Ronnie - that's what they call me. I'm always better on the first take. They'll play me the song, then they'll play it again for me to play on, and I'll do my thing: a lick here, a lick there, and sometimes bring in the slide. The new album was so improvised. I did all my overdubs in four days.

- Ron Wood, July 2005

So there it goes, about 11 songs were already done when they got together to record, sadly I can't find quotes about the other 5 songs but I'm pretty sure that 1 or 2 more were ready to go too, probably Driving Too Fast and Look What The Cat Dragged In (Mick stuff 100% I bet).

Ronnie's contributions on ABB was 4 days of overdubs, on his own words.

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: May 10, 2016 05:32

IanBillen
BILLPERKS

Right we know Bill. You know because you were there. I guess all the talk about Back of My Hand, It Wont Take Long and Driving Too Fast being created there at Micks house in France (including the friggin time of day and the very conception of which) is all horse shit. We know.. you're right and Mick, Keith, and Don Was are lying to us about those particular songs and how and where they were conceived... You're right.. those were demos brought in. They are full of shit .. In fact you wrote them and brought them in as demos right? Mick, Keith and Don Was are trying to railroad you.

I'll take your word on it once again. Thanks -

Ian, the band talks up every record in its most positive sense.In case you haven't figured out by now ,MICK JAGGER controls & has final say on everything they do,no matter what Keith says.

Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: May 10, 2016 05:53

billwebster
If we're comparing movies to albums of music, the role of the movie producer would be the excecutive producer of an album. Whereas the album producer's duty would be more like of a movie director. The latter are not completely the same, though.

Good analogy.

Date: May 10, 2016 06:44

georgelicks
Ian, about 60-70% of the ABB songs were done when they got together to record:

The ones I laid on (Mick) were Rough Justice, Infamy, and This Place Is Empty. Mick comes in far more prepared than I do.

Mick came up with the basic song (Let Me Down Slow) but I came up with the chimes (sings descending major chorus melody). But I'd say that one's more Mick than me, absolutely. You can tell.

I laid down drum loops on the demos and certain grooves, and I ended up working with Charlie and working up those specific grooves, like on Rain Fall Down. In the old days when you did demos, you couldn't really carry them over into recording. But now I just took certain elements, and I've kept elements, so it saves you time. And also you can get a cetain kind of feel sometimes when you inititially do it, too.

It's a Mick tour de force, in a way (about Streets Of Love), but we all really enjoy playing it.

Mick came up with that (Back Of My Hand). One night, I thought I was hearing this old Muddy Waters track I didn't know, but it turned out to be Mick working on a slide part for Back of My Hand. He's always been a good, smooth acoustic player, but the electric seemed like an untamed beast for him until this year. I thought: My God! The boy's finally got it.

(About Biggest Mistake)
I thought it was about time (Mick) owned up and stepped out of that closed shell. I know he went through bad periods, even if he didn't want to write about it.

- Keith Richards, 2005

Oh No, Not You Again is based on a real incident. But I made it funnier than it was.

- Mick Jagger, July 2005

I spoke to Mick about it (Sweet Neocon). Personally, I find politicians a very pallid subject. I said to Mick, Are you sure these guys are worth a Rolling Stones song? But he felt strongly about it and he writes the songs as well as myself. I said, If you feel like that about it and you feel it needs to be said, then I'm backing you up, pal.

- Keith Richards, August 2005

It always does affect it because I'd done, like, the "Alfie" thing with Dave Stewart [of Eurythmics], and Dave and I, what we did originally was, we took a suitcase full of computers to one of my houses down in the islands, and we did a lot of stuff there we actually ended up using. ...I started doing demos a similar way [for "A Bigger Bang"]. I laid down drum loops on the demos and certain grooves, and I ended up working with Charlie and working up those specific grooves, like on "Rain Fell Down". I'm not saying every track was like that, but I did actually use that on "Rain Fell Down" and "Laugh, I Nearly Died."

In the studio, (Keith and I are) not in the same room together. I'm usually with Mick and Don Was. Keith will often do his bits first. But One-Take Ronnie - that's what they call me. I'm always better on the first take. They'll play me the song, then they'll play it again for me to play on, and I'll do my thing: a lick here, a lick there, and sometimes bring in the slide. The new album was so improvised. I did all my overdubs in four days.

- Ron Wood, July 2005

So there it goes, about 11 songs were already done when they got together to record, sadly I can't find quotes about the other 5 songs but I'm pretty sure that 1 or 2 more were ready to go too, probably Driving Too Fast and Look What The Cat Dragged In (Mick stuff 100% I bet).

Ronnie's contributions on ABB was 4 days of overdubs, on his own words.

Back of My Hand

was done at Micks House.. when Keith was staying there to write songs for the album .. Lol Back of My Hand was .. >>Not a demo<< .. brought in as was suggested. Sure Mick wrote it..or at least most of it but that was not a Demo.

Oh No Not You Again

Was one of the last songs they recorded for the album. That was not a demo brought in.

Biggest Mistake

There is no reference to it being a demo brought in. In fact.. Keith alludes he was there when Mick wrote it.

Let Me Down slow

Again .. no suggestion this was a demo already started... only that Mick wrote most of the song.

Streets Of Love

No mention of a demo .. only that Mick wrote it.

My point and my statement is not who wrote what here.. but what was 'written from scratch' versus what was brought in as a demo. For example.. Back of My Hand was clearly no demo. Mick wrote that in the middle of the night.. Keith heard him while he was staying there... and the song is history. It is suggested Mick had all these demos and the Stones simply went in and recorded them. That is not true. Mick and Keith wrote things from scratch in preparation for a Bigger Bang too ... possibly more than half were demos brought in to be worked on / reworked or whatever but they certainly had started songs and finished them together there from scratch just as well.. ... << that is all I'm saying.. and it's 100% accurate ( just sayin smiling smiley )

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-10 06:55 by IanBillen.

Date: May 10, 2016 07:45

mpj200
billwebster

Good analogy.

So, on BRIDGES TO BABYLON (the actual topic being discussed in this informative exchange, Don Was was both the movie producer and the principal movie director. Okay...

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 10, 2016 11:33

Interesting quotes from 2005, the bottom line is that you get the sense (and counting the days using Nico's website would likely confirm that) that with each new album they seem to be spending less and less time together preparing the album or in the studio...on the other hand why would they, like Mick told Wenner in 1995 they spent tons of time on VL (writing sessions in Barbados, recording in Ireland) and the results were nothing special. Like Mick also said, at the end of the day it's the songs that matter so if Mick's demos are good...but what is "good" ? D&G good or Brown Sugar good ?

I for one would be ok with an EP or even two songs like in 2012 especially if they're not getting outside producers/musicians to bring some variety and nice instrumental parts. It's really hoping against hope that 10+ years after ABB it will be any better the way they're going about it.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: May 10, 2016 11:44

Bjorn

Very often both with the Stones as solo, Keith has a certain mastery in making those kind of loose, almost structure-less songs. I think you should listen to it the way you look at an impressionist painting: it is hinting at melodies and a certain athmosphere and later you repeat certain parts and frases of it, without remembering which part comes where. It sort of grows on you, but it's more vague than a clear pop-song which you can reproduce while washing the dishes. It's a different way of making a song, but I think it works very well on for example Thief in the Night, Wicked As It Seems, Illusion, Rockawhile, and some others.

Date: May 10, 2016 11:52

gotdablouse
Interesting quotes from 2005, the bottom line is that you get the sense (and counting the days using Nico's website would likely confirm that) that with each new album they seem to be spending less and less time together preparing the album or in the studio...on the other hand why would they, like Mick told Wenner in 1995 they spent tons of time on VL (writing sessions in Barbados, recording in Ireland) and the results were nothing special. Like Mick also said, at the end of the day it's the songs that matter so if Mick's demos are good...but what is "good" ? D&G good or Brown Sugar good ?

I for one would be ok with an EP or even two songs like in 2012 especially if they're not getting outside producers/musicians to bring some variety and nice instrumental parts. It's really hoping against hope that 10+ years after ABB it will be any better the way they're going about it.

Well, the bootlegs showed us that they indeed wrote lots of stuff with potential.

The selection process, however, might not have been up to par...

Date: May 10, 2016 19:36

The Beatles White album songs were pretty much constructed prior to the actual recording sessions.
From what I recall a fair bit of studio time was consumed, even allowing for the fact that it was a double set.
John and Paul weren't getting on but they still made fine music together.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 10, 2016 20:38

Björn, you are right of course. TITN is a two-chords mumbling song. Keith is such an icon for some that everything he does is a masterpiece for them. Even if he's just polishing a turd on the run...

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: May 10, 2016 20:42

jlowe
The Beatles White album songs were pretty much constructed prior to the actual recording sessions.
From what I recall a fair bit of studio time was consumed, even allowing for the fact that it was a double set.
John and Paul weren't getting on but they still made fine music together.

You are talking about 48 years ago, I think the music world changed a little bit since then isn't it?

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: May 10, 2016 21:59

they just lost something in the 80's when the two songwriters stopped being friends.

i challenged someone here awhile back to show me a picture or video of mick and keith together in a non-working enviroment in the last 30 years,a party,a wedding,dinner,sitting in a club listening to another band or even being in each others home.they came back with a video of the two of them walking through the stones experience or whatever it is talking about the old days-it was a promo clip for their website.

you can tell keith thought neocon was a bad idea but didnt think it was worth arguing over so he ended up saying "well if that's how you feel" thus a piece of sloganism garbage was released as a stones song.the guys who wrote gimme shelter were now reduced to the level of hippies singing "stop the war-peace now!"
but that's how it is now,getting along with your co-worker.they bring in demos and charlie lays a drum track down,ronnie dubs over some guitars and mick and keith tweek each others songs a bit and they're done.

they know what sells and what the fans want,thus the buddy buddy stuff in public and the stories of sitting on micks couch writing songs.i'll bet the real story is they weren't sitting there for more than a few hours,judging by the songs it was 10 minutes.

i expect about 3 or 4 good songs if we're lucky.we get our hopes up every time and then get 18 songs that could've have been cut down to a good ep at best.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: May 10, 2016 23:43

Given the increased good vibes between Mick and Keith since December 2012, I'm feeling there is more mutual respect and understanding than in 40 years. We are in for a treat this Fall…..drinking smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7374757677787980818283...LastNext
Current Page: 78 of 147

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1719
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home