Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7273747576777879808182...LastNext
Current Page: 77 of 147
Re: New Rolling Stones studio album due out in 2016
Posted by: Moonshine ()
Date: May 7, 2016 23:31

True that, best since Undercover with the only turkey being Juiced. Really dig the tour also.
If the new album matches b2b then great.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: May 7, 2016 23:39

Moonshine
True that, best since Undercover with the only turkey being Juiced. Really dig the tour also.
If the new album matches b2b then great.

Juiced would have been great without the synths, etc. It could be a good bluesy number. I've heard Keith say there's a demo around without all the electronica...

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 8, 2016 00:28

Must be late 2016 then. In time for Christmas maybe? If it was scheduled sooner we would probably have heard something (valid) by now.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 8, 2016 00:30

mpj200
Rocky Dijon
His executive producer credit is used to denote seniority. It's a movie/TV credit rarely used in the music world. A bit of a joke. Meantime, look at the track by track credits. His name is on nearly every track as producer. The Dust Brothers and Danny Saber did some production work, but final say went to Don Was. The only thing you can say is the number of different people mixing the tracks.

Every album has an executive producer. It's certainly not a joke. It may be the band, the producer, the A&R guy or even the label head. But every record has an executive producer that oversees the production ( and many times pays for) the record.

Yeah, I know. I said it's rarely credited in the music world. Don produced or co-produced nearly every track on the album. His executive producer credit doesn't mean he paid for the studio time. He was the senior producer. The Dust Brothers worked on four tracks. Danny Saber worked on a couple tracks. Their producer credits are for a particular song they either helped shape or transformed during mixing and overdubbing.

The only other executive producer credit on a Stones-related album is Jane Rose for LIVE AT THE HOLLYWOOD PALLADIUM. She didn't produce the album or pay for the sessions. She suggested Keith release it officially because of the The Swingin' Pig bootleg. Again, a bit of a joke credit.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-08 00:34 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: May 8, 2016 06:10

Rocky Dijon
mpj200
Rocky Dijon
His executive producer credit is used to denote seniority. It's a movie/TV credit rarely used in the music world. A bit of a joke. Meantime, look at the track by track credits. His name is on nearly every track as producer. The Dust Brothers and Danny Saber did some production work, but final say went to Don Was. The only thing you can say is the number of different people mixing the tracks.

Every album has an executive producer. It's certainly not a joke. It may be the band, the producer, the A&R guy or even the label head. But every record has an executive producer that oversees the production ( and many times pays for) the record.

Yeah, I know. I said it's rarely credited in the music world. Don produced or co-produced nearly every track on the album. His executive producer credit doesn't mean he paid for the studio time. He was the senior producer. The Dust Brothers worked on four tracks. Danny Saber worked on a couple tracks. Their producer credits are for a particular song they either helped shape or transformed during mixing and overdubbing.

The only other executive producer credit on a Stones-related album is Jane Rose for LIVE AT THE HOLLYWOOD PALLADIUM. She didn't produce the album or pay for the sessions. She suggested Keith release it officially because of the The Swingin' Pig bootleg. Again, a bit of a joke credit.

You said it was rarely used in the music world and a joke. I'm saying that's far from true in most cases. It's sometimes someone from the label who puts the project together. Many times they are the ones that initiate the project, hire the producer and call the shots. The Stones are the exception to the rule. They have always done things a little different. But with the vast majority of bands, the executive producer is the person that makes things happen.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 8, 2016 08:41

Hasn't Joyce Smyth been credited recently as an executive producer too? On SSS possibly?

As for Don Was on B2B, regardless of his official credit, he did a good job at keeping things together and working with the ideas of the various producers. That approach brought in some variety as opposed to the usual "in house" producers ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-08 11:17 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: May 8, 2016 10:21

Well, if they put a song like Fancy Mans Blues on the new one, i would be very happy.
Jeroen

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 8, 2016 15:39

For this effort, I wonder if they could pull off a number one hit? Wouldn't that that "put the icing on the cake?"

Date: May 8, 2016 15:49

mpj200
Rocky Dijon
mpj200
Rocky Dijon

You said it was rarely used in the music world and a joke. I'm saying that's far from true in most cases. It's sometimes someone from the label who puts the project together. Many times they are the ones that initiate the project, hire the producer and call the shots. The Stones are the exception to the rule. They have always done things a little different. But with the vast majority of bands, the executive producer is the person that makes things happen.

It is rarely used. Very few albums or CDs carry an executive producer credit. And calling Don Was an executive producer is a bit of a joke credit in the same sense listing Chris Kimsey as an associate producer was. Next time you talk to the band, ask them.

Date: May 8, 2016 15:52

gotdablouse
Hasn't Joyce Smyth been credited recently as an executive producer too? On SSS possibly?

As for Don Was on B2B, regardless of his official credit, he did a good job at keeping things together and working with the ideas of the various producers. That approach brought in some variety as opposed to the usual "in house" producers ;-)

Thing to remember is SWEET SUMMER SUN is a DVD. FOUR FLICKS and THE BIGGEST BANG and SHINE A LIGHT all had executive producer credits as well. I know you can get a Deluxe Edition with a CD, but it wasn't a conventional live album release. Pity we can't work pre-order into all this.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: May 8, 2016 21:31

I think they need a producer because in the past 20 or 30 years the technology has gotten away from them, especially Keith.
The key to some of their great songs, like SFM, was that they were able to use different ways of recording to get great songs, but I'm not sure they are able to do that anymore without an outside helper who might not be able to translate their vision (like George Martin did for the Beatles.
I think Keith likes to write ballads because he has more control of the recording process. He can play around with his songs for weeks and they leave him alone.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 8, 2016 21:39

Mick and Keith talked new album in their SiriusXM interviews with David Fricke.

Mick said they'd done some work and would be doing more before steering the conversation back to Desert Trip.

Keith was more specific, saying they're going back into the studio next month.

The interviews will air a few more times. Check out the schedule - [blog.siriusxm.com]

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: May 8, 2016 21:59

bye bye johnny
thumbs up
Mick said they'd done some work and would be doing more before steering the conversation back to Desert Trip.

The interviews will air a few more times. Check out the schedule - [blog.siriusxm.com]

Thanks BBJ!

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: May 9, 2016 00:22

bye bye johnny

Nice....>grinning smiley<

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: May 9, 2016 00:31

great!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 9, 2016 01:30

Maindefender
bye bye johnny

Nice....>grinning smiley<

Nice indeed ........maybe it's an idea they play a few new songs on there Desert Trip........................

Date: May 9, 2016 01:54

wonderboy
I think they need a producer because in the past 20 or 30 years the technology has gotten away from them, especially Keith.
The key to some of their great songs, like SFM, was that they were able to use different ways of recording to get great songs, but I'm not sure they are able to do that anymore without an outside helper who might not be able to translate their vision (like George Martin did for the Beatles.
I think Keith likes to write ballads because he has more control of the recording process. He can play around with his songs for weeks and they leave him alone.

An outside producer has also been a contractual point since the CBS deal. Likewise a commitment to promoting singles with music videos.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: May 9, 2016 02:12

I'm wondering how far they are along with this album. Does anyone have any idea if they recorded at all in April? I'm getting a little concerned that they are not going to have it ready by the Fall tour. Hope I'm wrong but aren't they starting to get down to the wire. PErhaps they actually had some of it already done prior to last December?

Date: May 9, 2016 03:29

Bashlets
I'm wondering how far they are along with this album. Does anyone have any idea if they recorded at all in April? I'm getting a little concerned that they are not going to have it ready by the Fall tour. Hope I'm wrong but aren't they starting to get down to the wire. PErhaps they actually had some of it already done prior to last December?

Looks like they're still working as we speak. This album won't be a missed opportunity. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-09 03:29 by Maindefender.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: May 9, 2016 05:10

Maindefender
Bashlets

Looks like they're still working as we speak. This album won't be a missed opportunity. winking smiley

How do you know they are working on it as we speak.. I thought Keith mentioned they are heading 'back' to the studio in June (as in they are in between right now).

**As well .. and as was wondered and recently asked .... <DID> they record in April at all as was planned originally? (just curious)

Ian

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 9, 2016 05:53

HonkeyTonkFlash
HMS
beachbreak
Flip The Switch
Anybody Seen My Baby?
Low Down
Gunface
Out of Control
Saint of Me
Thief In the Night

All very solid songs. The rest on B2B I can do without.

Flip The Switch
Anybody Seen My Baby
Lowdown
Gunface
You Dont Have To Mean It
Might As Well Get Juiced
Too Tight
How Can I Stop

This combination makes a very good album, imo.

The rest of the B2B-songs are filler or boring or simply awful:

Already Over Me
Out Of Control
Saint Of Me
Always Suffering
Thief In The Night

I thought all of Bridges was a great album!

aren't you glad you now know the truth?!

Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: May 9, 2016 06:01

Rocky Dijon
mpj200
Rocky Dijon
mpj200
Rocky Dijon

It is rarely used. Very few albums or CDs carry an executive producer credit. And calling Don Was an executive producer is a bit of a joke credit in the same sense listing Chris Kimsey as an associate producer was. Next time you talk to the band, ask them.

95% or higher of every record released, through a label, has an exec producer. Whether it's listed on the liner notes or not. And there is zero connection, job description wise, between an executive producer and an album producer. They are not the same thing, other than the exec producer may hire the producer.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: May 9, 2016 07:16

mpj200
Rocky Dijon
mpj200
Rocky Dijon
mpj200
Rocky Dijon

95% or higher of every record released, through a label, has an exec producer. Whether it's listed on the liner notes or not. And there is zero connection, job description wise, between an executive producer and an album producer. They are not the same thing, other than the exec producer may hire the producer.

Most of the time that is correct / spot on .. however in this scenario things may of been different because Don W. was not only listed as the executive producer .. he was also part of the creative process production wise in acting as an 'album / record producer' at the same time just not 100% and in being the only one (.. as he was with Voodoo Lounge and A Bigger Bang). George Martin was Executive Producer of The Beatles stuff.. however he was also very much involved and the leader production wise in the creative process just as well as we all know. Not commonly .. but at times .. big wig producers can perform or fill both of these roles ..or to a degree both of these roles ...while still only being labeled as simply one or the other. This situation is usually only the case or presents itself with major (big shot) producers and only in producers that are a certain type of individual (or breed). This situation was the case with Don Was concerning Bridges to Babylon, I believe. Great discussion

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-09 07:24 by IanBillen.

Date: May 9, 2016 08:39

It was a joke, simply because he was so much more than a "Executive Producer" on B2B. I bet he laughed, too. Or maybe not...

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 9, 2016 09:14

Bashlets

Indeed and I believe tomorrow is the 11th anniversary of Julliard when ABB must have pretty much been in the can.

Interesting that Keith now says they're due back in the studio in June as I was under the impression he'd claimed it was done, which seemed odd based on the info that had filtered.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: May 9, 2016 09:45

IanBillen
Maindefender
Bashlets

How do you know they are working on it as we speak.. I thought Keith mentioned they are heading 'back' to the studio in June (as in they are in between right now).

**As well .. and as was wondered and recently asked .... <DID> they record in April at all as was planned originally? (just curious)

Ian

You don't think an album is coming out this Fall based on everything that's been provided to us? Even if a piano is being tuned in the studio as I type that is good enough for me....thumbs up Keith and Mick are breathing that's good enough for me

Date: May 9, 2016 10:09

gotdablouse
Bashlets

Indeed and I believe tomorrow is the 11th anniversary of Julliard when ABB must have pretty much been in the can.

Interesting that Keith now says they're due back in the studio in June as I was under the impression he'd claimed it was done, which seemed odd based on the info that had filtered.

He could have meant the backing tracks.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: May 9, 2016 11:44

Thief in the night...a good song? Two chords and Keith mumbling for five minutes...People don´t expect much these days...

Date: May 9, 2016 12:15

Bjorn
Thief in the night...a good song? Two chords and Keith mumbling for five minutes...People don´t expect much these days...

By that logic Mannish Boy isn't a good song, either. Don't forget where they come from musically...

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: May 9, 2016 13:19

DandelionPowderman
Bjorn

By that logic Mannish Boy isn't a good song, either. Don't forget where they come from musically...

Really - they come from the blues. Their resume is full of great two and three chord songs!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7273747576777879808182...LastNext
Current Page: 77 of 147

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1801
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home