Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7576777879808182838485...LastNext
Current Page: 80 of 147
Re: New Rolling Stones studio album due out in 2016
Posted by: matxil ()
Date: May 13, 2016 11:19

TeddyB1018
Keith had definitely planned originally to do live dates for Crosseyed Heart but the Stones schedule delayed its release and it didn't work out.

Wow, I didn't know that. Such a pity. For me, nothing would have made me happier than a world-wide tour by Keith, and to see him playing live in Europe again.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: May 13, 2016 14:37

matxil
TeddyB1018
Keith had definitely planned originally to do live dates for Crosseyed Heart but the Stones schedule delayed its release and it didn't work out.

Wow, I didn't know that. Such a pity. For me, nothing would have made me happier than a world-wide tour by Keith, and to see him playing live in Europe again.

Not sure I buy into the above.
CH was released 18 months after recording finished and its true that Stones activity was the cause of that delay.
However between Sept 2015 and Jan 2016 there were no other schedules to rule out a few concert dates (or even some TV slots).
Sure, Keith did a very full round if PR...interviews, TV etc..hardly too demanding for him (the repetition was probably the biggest irritant).
Keith's musicians know each other very well and it would not have taken them months of rehearsals to be concert ready.
Somewhere along the time Keith and/or Jane Rose decided there wasn't the motivation, desire or capability to play live. Plus, it would probably not make a lot of difference to sales figures.
Of course no journalist or TV hack worth his career is going to probe Keith on the matter.

Main thing is we got a damn fine album and documentary out of it all.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: May 13, 2016 16:49

I really thought an SNL appearance was in the cards last Fall!!

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: May 13, 2016 16:56

Maindefender

It would be nice if they could redeem their SNL legacy. In 1978 they played OK, but man, were their voices shot!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 13, 2016 19:21

Maindefender

Yes I thought so too.

He did play at the Apollo in honor of Merry Clayton at Jazz Foundation of America benefit.
While the performance was a bit ramshackle imo, it was a taste of what could have been for a mini-tour.
A little polishing off the rust and shaking off the cobwebs - it could have been fantastic!

Review and video's >. Apollo

As for the missed opportunity to tour, as jlowe said above: "Main thing is we got a damn fine album and documentary out of it all". thumbs up

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: May 13, 2016 21:30

I actually / honestly think I heard Keith was sort of playing around with the idea of doing a few shows to promote Crosseyed Heart after The Stones tour .. (didn't he mention that in an interview before Zip Code once?) depending .. ?

I guess it never came to fruition.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-13 21:37 by IanBillen.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: May 13, 2016 23:10

jlowe
matxil
TeddyB1018

Not sure I buy into the above.
CH was released 18 months after recording finished and its true that Stones activity was the cause of that delay.
However between Sept 2015 and Jan 2016 there were no other schedules to rule out a few concert dates (or even some TV slots).
Sure, Keith did a very full round if PR...interviews, TV etc..hardly too demanding for him (the repetition was probably the biggest irritant).
Keith's musicians know each other very well and it would not have taken them months of rehearsals to be concert ready.
Somewhere along the time Keith and/or Jane Rose decided there wasn't the motivation, desire or capability to play live. Plus, it would probably not make a lot of difference to sales figures.
Of course no journalist or TV hack worth his career is going to probe Keith on the matter.

Main thing is we got a damn fine album and documentary out of it all.

KR had planned to do live dates as part of the rollout as designed with his consultant for a release earlier in the year. Not a large scale tour. When the album release was delayed until the Fall, this obviously didn't happen, so your speculation that someone decided against it at that point is obviously true. I personally suspect family reasons. As for SNL, I'm not certain he was invited, even with the long history with Lorne. He doesn't fit the demographic, and he's not Mick Jagger. Certainly he could have appeared on Fallon, even at the time of the Apollo performance without extra rehearsal, and didn't.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 13, 2016 23:24

ok...when are we getting this damn album anyway? the wait is interminable!

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: May 14, 2016 00:25

It seems "Chinese democracy N°2"!grinning smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 14, 2016 02:24

mailexile67
It seems "Chinese democracy N°2"!grinning smiley

are you suggesting mick is on the verge of firing the rest of the band?

if so, he should consider changing the name to "Mick Jagger and his Rolling Stones!"

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 14, 2016 02:25

Hey TeddyB1018,

Earlier I noted that I had heard something that conflicted with what others are hearing about the new album. I'm running this by you to see what you've heard. I'm doing so publicly because as I've said what I heard is not a scoop at all. No offense intended to anyone who has kindly shared what they heard, particularly Soldatti who I know sometimes hears things direct from the label.

I first reached out in December after it was posted here the Stones were allegedly in the studio. My friend said yes, they were and said it was "Knopfler's studio and Don Was is with them." At the time, rumors were rampant because of Chris Kimsey messaging Pierre de Beauport publicly. It was reported here it was a different studio (not British Grove), but then others confirmed Don Was in the producer's chair, and eventually it was reported there were multiple studios used and Knopfler's was among them so what I heard seemed to check out. I should note another friend told me they also spent time at Snake Ranch, but I haven't seen that elsewhere so I don't know how accurate that might be.

Since the tour finished, a number of people seem fairly certain Clapton is on the album and that it will be a two disc set with the second disc being blues covers featuring not only Clapton, but Jeff Beck and Gary Clark, Jr. It has been suggested the other two guitarists were being lined up to contribute, but hadn't yet done so. This prompted me to ask my friend if he knew anything about this.

His response was the second disc of blues covers is just wishful thinking and that fans should know better than to run with what Ronnie said about doing a lot of blues. He confirmed they played a session that was nothing but blues, but he said that isn't strange at all for them. He said Clapton did drop by and sit in on a blues number with them, but there is no reason to think it will be released. Specific to the other guests, he suggested that is people speculating over what they did on the road in recent years and he said there are no plans at all to recreate that in the studio. While he didn't say there would definitely be no blues covers released, he said it's more likely you'll get some original blues numbers (of which several were cut) and there's no reason to expect the album to be anything other than a single disc of Jagger-Richards songs because in his words, "it's what they do."

I asked about the remark made by Ronnie's son that the direction would surprise people and that it was brilliant. My friend just said not to put too much stock in what people say before it's released. He said they're either going to say it's the best Stones in years and what they heard reminds them of the seventies or sixties or they'll be vague and say it's brilliant and really surprising. In other words, it's just hype (That's me concluding that, he did not state that). He did confirm there would be some things that had more modern touches, but basically the tracks sound like The Rolling Stones. He ended the message by saying, "Again, it's what they do."

That's it. Nothing juicy, but definitely contrary to what some of us are hearing. My friend is connected and he could be trying to keep a lid on it and contain the surprise or he's telling the truth and it is the usual mix of styles we're accustomed to hearing - familiar rockers, ballads, something bluesy, and something more contemporary. No surprises there if that's the case. Again, no offense to anyone who has heard that two discs and guest blues guitarists is confirmed. You could be completely right.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-14 02:26 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: May 14, 2016 03:37

The only thing we know for sure is that Clapton was in the studio in December and came by and played on a few tracks. No guarantee they will even make the record, but my guess is one will.

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: May 14, 2016 04:05

Rocky Dijon
Hey TeddyB1018,

Earlier I noted that I had heard something that conflicted with what others are hearing about the new album. I'm running this by you to see what you've heard. I'm doing so publicly because as I've said what I heard is not a scoop at all. No offense intended to anyone who has kindly shared what they heard, particularly Soldatti who I know sometimes hears things direct from the label.

I first reached out in December after it was posted here the Stones were allegedly in the studio. My friend said yes, they were and said it was "Knopfler's studio and Don Was is with them." At the time, rumors were rampant because of Chris Kimsey messaging Pierre de Beauport publicly. It was reported here it was a different studio (not British Grove), but then others confirmed Don Was in the producer's chair, and eventually it was reported there were multiple studios used and Knopfler's was among them so what I heard seemed to check out. I should note another friend told me they also spent time at Snake Ranch, but I haven't seen that elsewhere so I don't know how accurate that might be.

Since the tour finished, a number of people seem fairly certain Clapton is on the album and that it will be a two disc set with the second disc being blues covers featuring not only Clapton, but Jeff Beck and Gary Clark, Jr. It has been suggested the other two guitarists were being lined up to contribute, but hadn't yet done so. This prompted me to ask my friend if he knew anything about this.

His response was the second disc of blues covers is just wishful thinking and that fans should know better than to run with what Ronnie said about doing a lot of blues. He confirmed they played a session that was nothing but blues, but he said that isn't strange at all for them. He said Clapton did drop by and sit in on a blues number with them, but there is no reason to think it will be released. Specific to the other guests, he suggested that is people speculating over what they did on the road in recent years and he said there are no plans at all to recreate that in the studio. While he didn't say there would definitely be no blues covers released, he said it's more likely you'll get some original blues numbers (of which several were cut) and there's no reason to expect the album to be anything other than a single disc of Jagger-Richards songs because in his words, "it's what they do."

I asked about the remark made by Ronnie's son that the direction would surprise people and that it was brilliant. My friend just said not to put too much stock in what people say before it's released. He said they're either going to say it's the best Stones in years and what they heard reminds them of the seventies or sixties or they'll be vague and say it's brilliant and really surprising. In other words, it's just hype (That's me concluding that, he did not state that). He did confirm there would be some things that had more modern touches, but basically the tracks sound like The Rolling Stones. He ended the message by saying, "Again, it's what they do."

That's it. Nothing juicy, but definitely contrary to what some of us are hearing. My friend is connected and he could be trying to keep a lid on it and contain the surprise or he's telling the truth and it is the usual mix of styles we're accustomed to hearing - familiar rockers, ballads, something bluesy, and something more contemporary. No surprises there if that's the case. Again, no offense to anyone who has heard that two discs and guest blues guitarists is confirmed. You could be completely right.

This sounds totally reasonable and in line with what they've chosen to release for the last 20 years.

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: May 14, 2016 06:08

Rocky Dijon
Hey TeddyB1018,

IAN? hot smiley

Date: May 14, 2016 08:19

Mr. Perks, the irrepressible spirit that is Ian is not to be trifled with or invoked lightly. Lucky for you that we like your amp.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: May 14, 2016 08:38

Rocky Dijon
Hey TeddyB1018,

From 'old school and bluesy album' to another 'A Bigger Bang'.
sad smiley

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: May 14, 2016 08:46

Expect an update soon....

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: May 14, 2016 09:05

Socrates1

...by whom?!

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: May 14, 2016 15:37

KRiffhard
Socrates1

...by whom?!
Ian Billen, of course.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: May 14, 2016 18:47

Please no guests especially Eric Clapton!!!

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: May 14, 2016 19:48

I've not heard what form the album is going to take. I'm with everyone hoping it's good. The idea of the 2CD set seems odd to me personally. I know blues has a sales base, and maybe Mick is looking to that, but a 2CD release? A tiered release? I'd put my money on an a Rolling Stones album, albeit it perhaps with guests. But again, I've not heard.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 15, 2016 00:22

Don Was talks about Stones and the new album at 01.54

[ondemand.rrr.org.au]

ROCKMAN

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 15, 2016 00:36

Great stuff. Thanks, Rockman.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 15, 2016 01:08

Rockman
Don Was talks about Stones and the new album at 01.54

[ondemand.rrr.org.au]

Thanks Rockman.

"The blues album is done, and it is gooood"! - D.Was

For crying out loud they should release it while they fart around finishing up any new stuff that Was mentioned!

Date: May 15, 2016 02:00

So we know we's probably gettin' Lil' Walter's Blue & Lonesome...
.........And Keith's spinnin' it in the intro to Under The Influence

ROCKMAN

Date: May 15, 2016 02:02

Thanks for that, Terry.

So Don Was is official.

There is no decision on how to handle the blues album yet.

Still working on the new album.

The expanded reissue series is likely continuing.

Date: May 15, 2016 02:32

....anything for you Rocky ..... workin' for your luxury

ROCKMAN

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: May 15, 2016 02:44

My information is reliable, they are working on a double album, CD 1 of blues covers (already done) and a second album of originals (about 60-70% done too).
Final recordings and mixes on June, first single on late September, second single on October and album release on late October or early November.

Posted by: terry ()
Date: May 15, 2016 02:48

Thanks georgelicks I'm happy with that info.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: May 15, 2016 03:05

terry
Thanks georgelicks I'm happy with that info.

Ditto. thumbs upthumbs up

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7576777879808182838485...LastNext
Current Page: 80 of 147

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2040
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home