Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7475767778798081828384...LastNext
Current Page: 79 of 147
Re: New Rolling Stones studio album due out in 2016
Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: May 11, 2016 00:32

Since Steel Wheels every new release has been heralded by the Stones and the press as the " best album since Exile or before". It's not going to happen. I will be thrilled if we get the quality that was on Crosseyed Heart. I want good music, nothing that sounds really contemporary or forced like RAIN FALL DOWN because tracks like that do not hold up after repeated listenings. I want side 2 of TATTOO YOU. I want some blues with soul and r and b mixed in. I want EVENING GOWN, not BIGGEST MISTAKE country, and I want a couple of Chuck Berryesque rockers.. Oh yeah, and most importantly I want the lyrics mature. A 73 year old singing about t_ts and c_cks is a little bit boring and cliche.
Will we get it? Patiently holding my breath.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: May 11, 2016 00:58

Bashlets
Since Steel Wheels every new release has been heralded by the Stones and the press as the " best album since Exile or before". It's not going to happen. I will be thrilled if we get the quality that was on Crosseyed Heart. I want good music, nothing that sounds really contemporary or forced like RAIN FALL DOWN because tracks like that do not hold up after repeated listenings. I want side 2 of TATTOO YOU. I want some blues with soul and r and b mixed in. I want EVENING GOWN, not BIGGEST MISTAKE country, and I want a couple of Chuck Berryesque rockers.. Oh yeah, and most importantly I want the lyrics mature. A 73 year old singing about t_ts and c_cks is a little bit boring and cliche.

smileys with beer
Jeroen

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 11, 2016 03:31

corriecas
Bashlets

smileys with beer
Jeroen

smileys with beer

Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: May 11, 2016 05:31

Rocky Dijon
mpj200
billwebster
If we're comparing movies to albums of music, the role of the movie producer would be the excecutive producer of an album. Whereas the album producer's duty would be more like of a movie director. The latter are not completely the same, though.

Good analogy.

So, on BRIDGES TO BABYLON (the actual topic being discussed in this informative exchange, Don Was was both the movie producer and the principal movie director. Okay...

I ignored your last comment, but since you just can't seem to let it go, or remember your own words, this was the topic I was discussing. "It's a movie/TV credit rarely used in the music world". - You.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: May 11, 2016 08:11

Bashlets

thumbs up

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: May 11, 2016 15:40

Stoneage
Björn, you are right of course. TITN is a two-chords mumbling song. Keith is such an icon for some that everything he does is a masterpiece for them. Even if he's just polishing a turd on the run...

What a peculiar way to deal with opinions or preferences different than yours. I suppose it makes life much easier for you this way. And yes, I rather like "Turn on the Run" as well. God... sorry, Keith, is wonderful on that one, isn't he?

Date: May 11, 2016 15:47

Can't you guys hear the chorus on Thief In The Night?

Both Turd On The Run and Thief In The Night have three chords, btw. If you break the law, you'll hear the third one on TITN smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-11 15:49 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: May 11, 2016 16:24

DandelionPowderman

Both Turd On The Run and Thief In The Night have three chords, btw. If you break the law, you'll hear the third one on TITN smiling smiley

I think of that as the bridge or C section of the tune. "Like a thief in the night" is the chorus.

Date: May 11, 2016 16:40

Mel Belli
DandelionPowderman

I think of that as the bridge or C section of the tune. "Like a thief in the night" is the chorus.

Me too, but in the «break the law»-part is where you'll find the third chord smiling smiley

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: May 11, 2016 17:56

DandelionPowderman
Mel Belli
DandelionPowderman

Me too, but in the «break the law»-part is where you'll find the third chord smiling smiley

Yes.

I like the song, btw. To borrow a Mick term, it's "vibey."

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: May 11, 2016 18:02

Mel Belli
DandelionPowderman
Mel Belli
DandelionPowderman

Yes.

I like the song, btw. To borrow a Mick term, it's "vibey."

Vibey! That's a word I'll have to remember, it fits perfectly.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: May 11, 2016 20:52

Who says an album of 2 and 3 chord songs can't be great? Exhibit A - Some Girls; When the Whip Comes Down is A & D, with a brief drop to G. Respectable is 3 chords. The Stones come from a tradition of 3 chord blues classics. It ain't the number of chords, it's what you do with them! If someone were to compile a list of Stones classics with no more than 3 chords...Gimme Shelter! Sympathy For The Devil has 4.
Satisfaction has 3...Happy has 3...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-11 20:53 by HonkeyTonkFlash.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 11, 2016 22:07

mpj200
Rocky Dijon
mpj200
billwebster
If we're comparing movies to albums of music, the role of the movie producer would be the excecutive producer of an album. Whereas the album producer's duty would be more like of a movie director. The latter are not completely the same, though.

Good analogy.

So, on BRIDGES TO BABYLON (the actual topic being discussed in this informative exchange, Don Was was both the movie producer and the principal movie director. Okay...

I ignored your last comment, but since you just can't seem to let it go, or remember your own words, this was the topic I was discussing. "It's a movie/TV credit rarely used in the music world". - You.

I'm having fun mainly because I know you won't let it go. And I made it perfectly clear multiple times I was speaking of the credit being used on albums. You know, the only way non-insiders are aware of credits. Meantime, what happened to those dates Keith was playing last October that you told us about?

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: May 11, 2016 22:34

Here all along I thought 'Babyface' was the executive producer on Bridges to Babylon ( Lol .. kidding.. couldn't resist that one).

Date: May 11, 2016 23:48

The least someone could have done was point to the Glimmers as Executive Producers on Peter Tosh's records. Sometimes you guys disappoint me.

Date: May 12, 2016 05:39

Rocky Dijon
mpj200
Rocky Dijon
mpj200
billwebster

Good analogy.

I'm having fun mainly because I know you won't let it go. And I made it perfectly clear multiple times I was speaking of the credit being used on albums. You know, the only way non-insiders are aware of credits. Meantime, what happened to those dates Keith was playing last October that you told us about?

Keith tried to put together dates but plans changed. You can take that up with him. So let's get back on topic, shall we? This thread is about a new Stones record. Have you got something you can contribute, or are you waiting to see what the press says next again so you can repurpose it? You picked the wrong thread to try and call someone out on.

Date: May 12, 2016 13:48

Voodoo Lounge had some masterpieces like out of tears, love is strong, I like sweethearts together and new faces with the lady jane type harpischord.

B2B has OOC which is quite popular live, but I also like Already Over Me.

I don't really touch the last album much- I don't really remember at the moment what it was called though.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: May 12, 2016 18:42

I think Saint of Me was the best cut on B2B

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: May 12, 2016 19:09

Highlights last three albums:

VL
- Blinded by rainbows
- Sparks will fly
- Love is strong
- The worst
- Moon is up
- Out of tears

B2B
- Out of control
- How can I stop
- Already over me

ABB
- Laugh I nearly died
- It won't take long
- Rough justice
- She saw me coming
- Rain fall down
- Oh no not you again
- Back of my hand

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: May 12, 2016 19:53

Bashlets

In order that another view also be presented: For this listener "Rain Falls Down" holds up better than anything on CROSSEYED HEART. I for one would not wish for anything like TATTOO YOU. Myself I would like a bonus album of blues (or R&B ) exclusively. I have nothing against "Evening Gown", but I prefer now as listener to receive a song more like "Biggest Mistake", which to me, together with "Rain Falls Down" are two of probably four expressively highlights of A BIGGER BANG. I think on this occasion I would like alternatives to Chuck Berry style rockers, because we have had those before.

Besides, I hope to avoid too "mature" lyrics. By the way, at its time I did not find the lyrics of "A little T&A" that stimulating.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: May 12, 2016 20:26

Flop last three albumsthumbs down

VL
- Suck on the jugular
- Baby break it down

B2B
- Gunface
- Might as well get juiced
- Low down

ABB
- Infamy
- Sweet neocon
- Driving too fast
- Look what the cat...
- Dangerous beauty

Date: May 12, 2016 23:01

IMO Steel Wheels was <ok> .. nothing spectacular. More of a sound track to go with a monster tour (but as I said.. oh what a tour Steel Wheels was!).

Voodoo Lounge was wonderful IMO. Warm .. fun ... an album that pleases the party with a classic Let It bleed / Beggars Banquet style with some new additions. Love Is Strong is their best single since Start Me Up IMO. A dark, seductive classic that showed the Stones groove evolve.

BTB: A strong album. Colder ... and with introspect .. a 'personal' type of album that was twisted and ran sort of unorthodox ...along with modern production spins. It has it's own spot on the shelf.

A Bigger Bang - Hard hitting .. in your face.. sparse Stones!! The most solid of the post Steel Wheels albums. Quite strong .. and very close runner up to my personal fav since Tattoo You which was Voodoo Lounge. ABB hit the mark and was what the Stones needed at the time. A back to basics... rock based album that also was humourous in spots lol. The sound was Dirty Work meets Undercover with the vibe and humor of Some Girls. Great stuff -

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-12 23:02 by IanBillen.

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: May 12, 2016 23:36

I agree with you Ian

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 13, 2016 05:25

HonkeyTonkFlash
bbeliko
The only thing that actually gives me hope is that this is the first time they record an album on a touring year since when? Undercover?
Yep - It can't hurt that they recorded while still warmed up from the road!

that's a fair point

Date: May 13, 2016 05:50

Thanks, Mate.

Date: May 13, 2016 05:53

treaclefingers
HonkeyTonkFlash
bbeliko
The only thing that actually gives me hope is that this is the first time they record an album on a touring year since when? Undercover?
Yep - It can't hurt that they recorded while still warmed up from the road!

that's a fair point

It is a great point. I am very curious to see how this pans out... As well this time they are recording in segments.. with short breaks in between .. a few weeks here.. a few weeks there.. in working it up... versus a straight run through from writing to recording. They are taking their time with this one (which is good IMO). All this is something they haven't done since the come back (unofficial come back and 'if' you want to label it as that in being Steel Wheels).

As well Mick and Keith have much more mutual respect / are getting on better now than they did with the sessions for Undercover.

**** QUESTION: Are we sure they actually recorded <after> the tour? I mean it looked and sounded that way but do you all agree with that is what they were saying? Did they record for a while right after (in April ) as was proposed?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-13 05:58 by IanBillen.

Date: May 13, 2016 06:24

I think it was John Lennon that said nothing beats a good song. Producers, direction, timing...all play a part. But the reality is this. They are band of 70 year olds making what is likely a final album. It's for them. It's for their fans. It's one of the most historic records of all time...simply because it may be there last.

Who knows if these will be Mick's demos with his guitar style imposed on the band or if Keith has come up with magic, which is in my opinion, what makes a good Stones song.

For this record, the more it's done with a live approach (the band in the studio at together vs them coming in separately), the better it will be. I'm guessing a fairly minimal amount of time in the studio. I think they are approaching this as realist. They have to knock it out quickly or it may never get finished. Guess we'll see.

Date: May 13, 2016 06:39

mpj200
Rocky Dijon
mpj200
Rocky Dijon
mpj200
billwebster

Good analogy.

Keith tried to put together dates but plans changed. You can take that up with him. So let's get back on topic, shall we? This thread is about a new Stones record. Have you got something you can contribute, or are you waiting to see what the press says next again so you can repurpose it? You picked the wrong thread to try and call someone out on.

Keith really did try to put dates together? Seriously? That's interesting. I'm quite serious I did not know that. And no, I can't take it up with him. I only pose as a former percussionist. Do I have anything to contribute? No, the only things I heard that may have been correct were Knopfler's studio and Don Was. That's it. The thing is, it's hearsay even when you hear it from someone who could or should know what they're talking about and that's the case with that. Not sure what you mean exactly by repurposing what the press says. I don't know the term. Fairly certain you're being snarky which is fine, turnaround is fair play after all, but I haven't passed something on the press said and I didn't scoop anything. I said I heard something from a source that I trusted. It could still be wrong. You did hear the London sessions before anyone else I'm aware of and I have credited you with that even though I have fun picking on you. The thing of that is, I'm just trying to have fun with you, not make an enemy. Do I have anything else to contribute about the new album? I did hear something about content but it runs contrary to what someone else here has said and I do put stock in them so I'll keep quiet. It isn't anything big anyway. Sometimes people just make educated guesses or sometimes they're fed false information. That's life. I'm just waiting for new music to love or not.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: May 13, 2016 10:31

Keith had definitely planned originally to do live dates for Crosseyed Heart but the Stones schedule delayed its release and it didn't work out.

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: May 13, 2016 10:33

Tis a shame really

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7475767778798081828384...LastNext
Current Page: 79 of 147

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1920
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home