Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7172737475767778798081...LastNext
Current Page: 76 of 147
Re: New Rolling Stones studio album due out in 2016
Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: May 5, 2016 14:38

HMS
"Their last great album" was the one they released in 1986, not in 1989. Steel Wheels was half decent/partly great and half bullshit. The bullshit-degree in fact was higher than on any other Stones-album before and after. I remember very well how disappointed I was to get an album like Steel Wheels after hearing the very promising Mixed Emotion/Fancy Man Blues on a pre-release radio special.

Steel Wheels was where the trouble with Stones-albums began, they simply packed everything they´ve got on the albums to make them... too long. Even Steel Wheels with its running time of 55 min. is too long. It would have been better for the album to drop at least three bullshit-songs and release the usual 40min-album.

Dont make double-albums when you only got ideas for a single-album!

Same problem with ABB. Maybe this time they have all good songs.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: May 5, 2016 15:42

KRiffhard
HMS
"Their last great album" was the one they released in 1986, not in 1989. Steel Wheels was half decent/partly great and half bullshit. The bullshit-degree in fact was higher than on any other Stones-album before and after. I remember very well how disappointed I was to get an album like Steel Wheels after hearing the very promising Mixed Emotion/Fancy Man Blues on a pre-release radio special.

Steel Wheels was where the trouble with Stones-albums began, they simply packed everything they´ve got on the albums to make them... too long. Even Steel Wheels with its running time of 55 min. is too long. It would have been better for the album to drop at least three bullshit-songs and release the usual 40min-album.

Dont make double-albums when you only got ideas for a single-album!

Same problem with ABB. Maybe this time they have all good songs.

Yeah, back when vinyl ruled, the time restrictions of the format forced artists to pare things down to the very best songs...unless they wanted to do a double ala EOMS.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: May 5, 2016 16:06

Many rock releases by younger artists(Cage the Elephant, Parquet Courts, Twin Peaks, Arcs, the record company, Diamond rugs) come in around 40 minutes. And most of these bands are beholding to the Stones. My wish would be for the Stones to release a true 40 minute STONES album!! I can see two 40 minute albums if they are not related. 40 is the new awesome…lol

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: May 5, 2016 16:47

People complained about the length of Exile as well. To me albums like Voodoo, Bridges are better on vinyl with 4 sides. I don't think there is anything wrong with newer Stones albums, its all personal preference but with the Stones as always the case people will always bitch when it comes to newer stuff.

Date: May 5, 2016 17:07

Hound Dog
People complained about the length of Exile as well. To me albums like Voodoo, Bridges are better on vinyl with 4 sides. I don't think there is anything wrong with newer Stones albums, its all personal preference but with the Stones as always the case people will always bitch when it comes to newer stuff.

Unless it's really good, bordering on great!! drinking smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 5, 2016 19:01

24FPS
Hairball
marquess
Can hardly wait for October to throw a Stone´s party at home with my closest friends to listen to a NEW STONES ALBUM !!!!!!

Still can´t believe!!!

The last time I had a Stones 'listening party' for a new album was for Steel Wheels and it was just me and a friend.
Turned out to be a dismal experience, and vowed never to repeat it again.

Why? Was your friend a drag and messed up listening to their last great album?

Haha their last great album? You must be confusing Steel Wheels with Tattoo You.
But to answer you're question, no - it was a total letdown after the long hiatus.
I tried to like it after the initial 'listening party' for about a month, but it kept getting worse
With that said, the tour was fun - I got to see the Guns'N'Roses/Axl meltdown at the L.A. Coliseum.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: May 5, 2016 19:26

The last "Great" album with fresh stuff and new ideas has been "Undercover"
The last "very good album" ruined by Mr.Was has been "Voodoo Lounge"
The last "good album" re-ruined by Mr.Was has been "ABB"

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: May 5, 2016 19:28

mailexile67

thumbs up

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: May 6, 2016 03:39

IMHO Bridges to Babylon was a very good album. Better than ABB, Steel Wheels and Voodoo Lounge.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: May 6, 2016 03:49

beachbreak
IMHO Bridges to Babylon was a very good album. Better than ABB, Steel Wheels and Voodoo Lounge.

I was already to recycle my opinion when my mind went blank and I realized I don't remember what it sounds like.

Posted by: cowboytoast ()
Date: May 6, 2016 04:32

Hairball
24FPS
Hairball
marquess
Can hardly wait for October to throw a Stone´s party at home with my closest friends to listen to a NEW STONES ALBUM !!!!!!

Still can´t believe!!!

The last time I had a Stones 'listening party' for a new album was for Steel Wheels and it was just me and a friend.
Turned out to be a dismal experience, and vowed never to repeat it again.

Why? Was your friend a drag and messed up listening to their last great album?

Haha their last great album? You must be confusing Steel Wheels with Tattoo You.
But to answer you're question, no - it was a total letdown after the long hiatus.
I tried to like it after the initial 'listening party' for about a month, but it kept getting worse
With that said, the tour was fun - I got to see the Guns'N'Roses/Axl meltdown at the L.A. Coliseum.

oh man that's the worst - after you buy it and you TRY and like it - i did the exact same thing with Steel Wheels...i was so put off by that album and tour it took some arm twisting to even get me to pay attention to them during Voodoo Lounge - which when compared to the other sounded more like them - but i don't know if it's aged well...

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 6, 2016 04:36

KRiffhard
mailexile67

thumbs up

So the last great album with fresh ideas was written and recorded when the band's songwriting team were still in their thirties and you think their recorded output has been ruined by the producer who has helmed literally every session they've done for the past twenty-three years and yet...you're still pumped at the idea of a new album from the same songwriters now in their seventies and the same producer at the helm? Go figure.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: May 6, 2016 05:25

Actually .. I am very impressed with Don Was (with The Stones.. and even some with other artists he's worked with). Steel wheels was their last album before they got ahold of DW. IMO Steel Wheels was 'fairly ok' but nothing totally spectacular. Steel wheels, the album, was more of a theme to go along with a monster tour (and oh what a tour it was!).

Voodoo Lounge was excellent IMO... IMO Even giving us their strongest single since Start Me Up .. (Love Is Strong.. one of my all time favorite Stones songs. What a single ... what a song).

Bridges TB was very good (although a bit twisty and perhaps over produced on a song or two .. such as MAWGJ). A Bigger Bang was damn solid and rocked hard. It was a basic, slimmed down, rock based album and it was 'in your face' Stones again . All of them with don Was since VL are different in vibe, sound, and tone. All run different than the next. IMO Don Was has been quite good with them.

Ian

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-06 05:30 by IanBillen.

Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: May 6, 2016 05:37

IanBillen
Actually .. I am very impressed with Don Was (with The Stones.. and even some with other artists he's worked with). IMO Steel Wheels was 'fairly ok' but nothing totally spectacular. Steel wheels the album was more of a theme to go along with a monster tour (and oh what a tour it was!).

Voodoo Lounge was excellent IMO Even giving us IMO their strongest single since Start Me Up .. (Love Is Strong.. one of my all time favorite Stones songs. What a single).

Bridges was very good (although a bit twisty and perhaps over produced on a song or two). A Bigger Bang was damn solid and rocked hard. In your face Stones again . All of them are different in vibe, sound, and tone. All run sort of different than the next. IMO Don Was has been quite good with them.

Ian

Don produced an artist I worked with a few years back. He's good. But he's much less hands on with the Stones, in my opinion. Stones albums have always been driven by the strength of the songs. Not the producer. They place such a big part in production themselves, the "producer" is much less influential than with any normal typical contemporary artist relationship.

Date: May 6, 2016 05:55

mpj200
IanBillen
Actually .. I am very impressed with Don Was (with The Stones.. and even some with other artists he's worked with). IMO Steel Wheels was 'fairly ok' but nothing totally spectacular. Steel wheels the album was more of a theme to go along with a monster tour (and oh what a tour it was!).

Voodoo Lounge was excellent IMO Even giving us IMO their strongest single since Start Me Up .. (Love Is Strong.. one of my all time favorite Stones songs. What a single).

Bridges was very good (although a bit twisty and perhaps over produced on a song or two). A Bigger Bang was damn solid and rocked hard. In your face Stones again . All of them are different in vibe, sound, and tone. All run sort of different than the next. IMO Don Was has been quite good with them.

Ian

Don produced an artist I worked with a few years back. He's good. But he's much less hands on with the Stones, in my opinion. Stones albums have always been driven by the strength of the songs. Not the producer. They place such a big part in production themselves, the "producer" is much less influential than with any normal typical contemporary artist relationship.

Yeah .. and as well their are different types of producers. Some are right there in the room with the band playing. Some stay in the control room .. Some get right in and try to write the songs from scratch. Some are very technical and then there are others who don't know a whole lot about running a board but they know what works and how to organize a project.

Every situation, producer, and artist is different. Now .. when it comes to the Stones.. especially in the last 20-30 years ...they do not always take kindly to people telling them what to do. They don't like tons of production value .. They like to work things out on their own and Don Was lets them do that (does he have a choice? ....They are the Rolling Stones lol). He is also an excellent mediator between Mick and Keith.

He did put his foot down with VL a bit. Insisting how they write songs ahead of time before getting to the studio and he steered Mick and Charlie clear of any African influenced stuff.

Don Was is a very laid back type of Producer who likes to let the artist breath. That is his style. With the Stones.. it has been proposed that perhaps they need someone to kick them into gear in order to get a great album these days.. I kinda disagree. Even Mick first told Don Was 'We really don't need a Producer'. Always getting directly involved in every part or aspect of things or trying to run them would only cause problems in the Stones situation IMO.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-06 06:03 by IanBillen.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 6, 2016 14:29

beachbreak

Absolutely and coincidentally, or not, Don Was only acted as the executive producer. To be honest they also got a lot of help from outside musicians and there were some memorable songs. It's too bad they didn't go for that formula again as it worked well and they seemed happy with it in the 97 interviews (if you don't remember them head over to the Hot Stuff section where they have just been kindly shared).

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: May 6, 2016 19:33

Rocky Dijon
Pretty sure the studio information is "bankable." I had heard British Grove and suggested it here in December, but it was only reported recently as one of the four or five studios utilized. I'm also trusting Soldatti on a late October release with late September for the single.

Not sure if this helps but Ive seen a review of Eric Clapton's new studio album which confirms that British Grove Studios were used.
Not certain about the recording dates, but I assume Autumn /Winter, so an overlap with The Stones seems likely.
No doubt Eric will be doing some PR for the album but of course he may deny any link up with The Stones.(if asked).

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: May 6, 2016 19:34

Bridges was also a disappointment, way too many mediocre/superfluous tracks... The album contains exactly 37 min of decent music (enough for a Stones-album though).

I dont trust interviews. In 2005 Keith said how much he likes that "awful bad" ballad on ABB, cant remember the name of that horribe thing... I wonder what he really thought of it.

Date: May 6, 2016 21:54

Keith should know that talk is cheap. Looking forward to the new release!!

Date: May 7, 2016 03:35

gotdablouse
beachbreak

Absolutely and coincidentally, or not, Don Was only acted as the executive producer. To be honest they also got a lot of help from outside musicians and there were some memorable songs. It's too bad they didn't go for that formula again as it worked well and they seemed happy with it in the 97 interviews (if you don't remember them head over to the Hot Stuff section where they have just been kindly shared).

Don Was was listed as the executive producer on that particular album you are right however he still oversaw the entire operation. He organized it and had his hand in it as well. Danny Saber and the Dust Brothers produced three songs ...

Was had his production spin on things there as well.. there was just other people involved .. He was still the main one overseeing the project .. and still had some influence production wise. It wasn't like he had no artistic or creative involvement there .. It was a collaboration in which he oversaw things instead of basically bein the only Producer is all. The dust brothers and Saber had their bits and he / the Stones let them do their part but Was was still overseeing the final and producing songs himself on BTB. Just sayin.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-07 03:38 by IanBillen.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 7, 2016 05:46

His executive producer credit is used to denote seniority. It's a movie/TV credit rarely used in the music world. A bit of a joke. Meantime, look at the track by track credits. His name is on nearly every track as producer. The Dust Brothers and Danny Saber did some production work, but final say went to Don Was. The only thing you can say is the number of different people mixing the tracks.

Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: May 7, 2016 06:34

Rocky Dijon
His executive producer credit is used to denote seniority. It's a movie/TV credit rarely used in the music world. A bit of a joke. Meantime, look at the track by track credits. His name is on nearly every track as producer. The Dust Brothers and Danny Saber did some production work, but final say went to Don Was. The only thing you can say is the number of different people mixing the tracks.

Every album has an executive producer. It's certainly not a joke. It may be the band, the producer, the A&R guy or even the label head. But every record has an executive producer that oversees the production ( and many times pays for) the record.

Date: May 7, 2016 06:58

mpj200
Rocky Dijon

Every album has an executive producer. It's certainly not a joke. It may be the band, the producer, the A&R guy or even the label head. But every record has an executive producer that oversees the production ( and many times pays for) the record.

If I may .. I think what he is saying is that he agrees with you (and I) in that DW executive producer status / labeling in that particular record was in a sense silly not because of lack of importance but because he was just as well a 'creative' producer in the affair just as the others (however DW spanned the whole album where as the others only have credits on a few songs). He is referring to the term executive producer in this particular recording situation as being a misconception by some people more over (yet he is agreeing with you and I about DW influence and role in reality).

IMO what occurred was Don was oversaw the operation and sort of collaboratively kept all the different rooms, producers, and Mick and Keith working together and he had his final say on the songs. He also had his production hand in there as well because as you noted he is listed on almost every Track. Now on the dust Brothers and Saber songs I think he took a second seat in the production and possibly just gave a thumbs up there to a degree when it came to the mix itself . However recording wise it seemed to be mostly Was running things aside from Mick and Ronnie recording half of Saint of Me at The dust Brothers home studio.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-07 07:03 by IanBillen.

Date: May 7, 2016 11:42

The point is that on B2B they got a lot of input from outside producers and musicians (except from Chuck and Darryl who were not invited and were not missed) and it made it a lot of difference compared to SW/VL and ABB.

The Stones + Darryl + Chuck + Bernard + Was is fine for a couple of songs like D&G and OMS but there's little reason to think that this team can do any better for a full album than they did 11 years ago. You'd think that at this point they'd be happy to invest a fraction of their huge touring profits into the production of an album that will be forever associated with their name/brand, but no it's going to be another last minute rush job.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: May 7, 2016 16:15

gotdablouse
The point is that on B2B they got a lot of input from outside producers and musicians (except from Chuck and Darryl who were not invited and were not missed) and it made it a lot of difference compared to SW/VL and ABB.

Darryl is on 3 songs on Bridges to Babylon plus the outtake Anyway You Look At It and BB King's Paying The Cost To Be The Boss, also recorded on the sessions.

Date: May 7, 2016 16:46

Ok, my mistake, after looking it up [www.discogs.com] he played on You Don't Have To Mean It, Always Suffering, Thief In The Night, not very memorable bass lines, unlike say Danny Saber's on OOC, Me'Shell NdegéOcello's on SOM or Jeff Sarli's on FTS, the point is they just used the bass player that fitted the tune not the guy who's been playing along since Bill left because it's "comfortable"/"convenient".

--------------

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 7, 2016 17:03

latebloomer
cowboytoast
i swear if they wait 11 years and come out with some half-baked duets album i may puke...i hope this is not the case...i will not own a rolling stones album that has dave grohl on it...and his stupid smiling face would be the first one down there...rockin' out...uggh

Double uggh cowboy...but I'll buy whatever they put out, for sure. I choose to remain optimistic. smiling smiley

triple uggh...but he did rock it with mick on snl.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: May 7, 2016 19:16

Flip The Switch
Anybody Seen My Baby?
Low Down
Gunface
Out of Control
Saint of Me
Thief In the Night

All very solid songs. The rest on B2B I can do without.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: May 7, 2016 21:55

beachbreak
Flip The Switch
Anybody Seen My Baby?
Low Down
Gunface
Out of Control
Saint of Me
Thief In the Night

Flip The Switch
Anybody Seen My Baby
Lowdown
Gunface
You Dont Have To Mean It
Might As Well Get Juiced
Too Tight
How Can I Stop

This combination makes a very good album, imo.

The rest of the B2B-songs are filler or boring or simply awful:

Already Over Me
Out Of Control
Saint Of Me
Always Suffering
Thief In The Night

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: May 7, 2016 23:03

HMS
beachbreak
Flip The Switch
Anybody Seen My Baby?
Low Down
Gunface
Out of Control
Saint of Me
Thief In the Night

Flip The Switch
Anybody Seen My Baby
Lowdown
Gunface
You Dont Have To Mean It
Might As Well Get Juiced
Too Tight
How Can I Stop

This combination makes a very good album, imo.

The rest of the B2B-songs are filler or boring or simply awful:

Already Over Me
Out Of Control
Saint Of Me
Always Suffering
Thief In The Night

I thought all of Bridges was a great album!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7172737475767778798081...LastNext
Current Page: 76 of 147

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2254
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home