Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3637383940414243444546...LastNext
Current Page: 41 of 147
Re: New Rolling Stones studio album due out in 2016
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 24, 2015 19:14

HMS
There once was an album with main input by Keith/Ronnie. They called it Dirty Work and everybody knows what the majority of IORRians is thinking of that album...

Yet you ignore - I'll pick just one - SOME GIRLS, a truly awesome album with "main input by Keith/Ronnie". Unless your point is strictly in terms of songwriting, then yes, it didn't turn out worth a shit, DIRTY WORK.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: December 24, 2015 21:29

GasLightStreet
HMS
There once was an album with main input by Keith/Ronnie. They called it Dirty Work and everybody knows what the majority of IORRians is thinking of that album...

Yet you ignore - I'll pick just one - SOME GIRLS, a truly awesome album with "main input by Keith/Ronnie". Unless your point is strictly in terms of songwriting, then yes, it didn't turn out worth a shit, DIRTY WORK.

Agreed.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: December 26, 2015 12:43

To the frontpage with this thread!
Do we know anything more?

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 26, 2015 13:01

Lorenz
To the frontpage with this thread!
Do we know anything more?

We need some news...c'mon! For example, who is the producer? Don Was? Chris Kimsey?

Posted by: ohmercy61 ()
Date: December 27, 2015 01:18

Yes it's too quiet what's going on with the new album? No photo's no news come on people.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: December 27, 2015 01:59

ohmercy61
Yes it's too quiet what's going on with the new album? No photo's no news come on people.

Yes, the quiet is hard...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 27, 2015 07:39

latebloomer
ohmercy61

Yes, the quiet is hard...

Strange there's not a blip on the radar with any studio info. - Mick usually tweets pics, etc.

Maybe Keith is having trouble capturing tunes with his antennae.

Posted by: Tubeman ()
Date: December 27, 2015 09:48

This is merely a guess, but I believe the producer could be Tony Visconti, he as recently discussed in November he was doing Studio Work in secret in December he couldn't disclose the client.

As far as secrecy he recently produced David Bowie's last album, without anyone knowing it was in production or where it was recorded until finished, he runs very tight closed studio sessions.

He also has the credentials as good producer of retro acts, Bowie , T -Rex etc

Date: December 27, 2015 11:17

Tubeman
This is merely a guess, but I believe the producer could be Tony Visconti, he as recently discussed in November he was doing Studio Work in secret in December he couldn't disclose the client.

As far as secrecy he recently produced David Bowie's last album, without anyone knowing it was in production or where it was recorded until finished, he runs very tight closed studio sessions.

He also has the credentials as good producer of retro acts, Bowie , T -Rex etc

Produced by The Glimmer Twins and Chris Kimsey.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 27, 2015 12:29

pepganzo
KRiffhard
...who is the producer?! It's a mistery!

At this point I hope the Stones will produce themself like in the past.
But the question is, why did the Stones wanted Don Was as producer during the 90s? Because of the succes of the album that he produced for Bonnie Raitt and other great artists?

Yes, it's a mistery!

It seems he was good at "mediating" between Mick and Keith. Apparently they'd agreed when they hooked up in Barbados in 1989 that going forward they would have a "real" producer to avoid the DW type of fighting. You'd think that with the SW sessions apparently having worked out ok they wouldn't have followed up on that idea but they did.

Not a lot has been documented from the Don Was years in terms of "mediating" apart from him convincing Mick that segueing TITN with HCIS sort of made it one song and kept Keith's "2 song per album" quota. As far as producing it's going to be hard to convince anyone here that he got the best out of Mick and Keith...in fact he probably did his best work on B2B when he was the "executive" producer to the producers who worked on the tracks and made them interesting.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 27, 2015 18:07

An outside producer was a contractual requirement with the CBS contract and likely the Virgin contract. Their lack of comfort with all of the technology as well as their interpersonal relationship make an outside producer essential. The December sessions may have been little more than pre-production work with the band running down ideas only. No producer may have been on board at an early stage. I see absolutely no reason to presume someone other than Don Was will be at the boards.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: December 27, 2015 18:11

Don Was now is the President of "Blue Note" Jazz Label...In my opinion he is out of this project.

Date: December 27, 2015 18:11

Don Was seemed like the oddest choice considering his history with his band 'Was not Was'. Does anybody remember their hit Walk the Dinosaur from 1987?
I remember living in England at the time, and you couldn't go into any dance club without hearing it. Silly funky number, but really not much in common with anything Stones related.

And I know he had a lot of production credits prior to Voodoo Lounge (including Dylan), but he didn't help the Stones much imo.
I wonder whose bright idea it was to bring him in....

Date: December 27, 2015 18:18

Chris Kimsey & The Glimmer Twins will be the producers!

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: December 27, 2015 18:43

ohmercy61

Sadly not many people is interested on a new Stones' album, the band is a semi-retired touring gang which works 3 months a year, their last studio album was 10 years ago, their last hit was decades ago, the general audience is not interested on rock music and much less on rock music from people on their 70's.
A new Stones' album was the news of the year 25-30 years ago, but on 2015-16 is more a cut act following.

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: December 27, 2015 18:58

georgelicks
ohmercy61

Sadly not many people is interested on a new Stones' album, the band is a semi-retired touring gang which works 3 months a year, their last studio album was 10 years ago, their last hit was decades ago, the general audience is not interested on rock music and much less on rock music from people on their 70's.
A new Stones' album was the news of the year 25-30 years ago, but on 2015-16 is more a cut act following.

They'll make an album because they want to, for their own sense of credibility and integrity.

Date: December 27, 2015 19:03

georgelicks
ohmercy61

I don't think ohmercy61 was referring to mass hysteria amongst the 'general audience' of rock fans, but rather a snippet or a hint of info. for the 'cult' of followers.
With that said, you summed up the current status of the Stones as a band rather well.

Date: December 27, 2015 19:15

They'll make a new album because they MUST, for their own sense of credibility and integrity if they want come back in North America and Europe...

Date: December 27, 2015 19:20

Anyway I think that whit a good UMG promotion, TV and Radio appearances they could sell among 1 million and 1.5 million worldwide...What is your opinion Georgelicks?!?

Date: December 27, 2015 19:50

mailexile67
Anyway I think that whit a good UMG promotion, TV and Radio appearances they could sell among 1 million and 1.5 million worldwide...What is your opinion Georgelicks?!?

They need to work VERY WELL to sell 1 - 1.5 million albums worldwide, touring, loads of promotion on radio and TV and a couple of good videos on YouTube.
Their last studio album has sold 2.5 million copies worldwide on a complete different world: no Facebook, no Twitter, no ITunes, no YouTube, no streaming... a whole new world, album sales are down 60% from 2005-2015 and even on Stones' numbers they went from 5.5 million for VL to 4 million with B2B to 2.5 million with ABB, about 60% of loss on 10 years 1994-2005.

Date: December 27, 2015 19:57

mailexile67
They'll make a new album because they MUST, for their own sense of credibility and integrity if they want come back in North America and Europe...

I don't think so, the Rolling Stones is like a museum, an historic event, the name alone will sell tickets, a new album is a souvenir.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 27, 2015 20:04

georgelicks
ohmercy61

That said, the UK's Daily Mail is never slow on taking any opportunity to grab some photos of celebs emerging from some party, club, eaterie, shopping expedition...or even a recording studio.
It may be the media know where the sessions have been taking place but there is some sort of agreement between Stones Ltd and the media to keep things quiet until it suits both parties to let the cat out of the bag, so to speak.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 27, 2015 20:06

mailexile67
Don Was now is the President of "Blue Note" Jazz Label...In my opinion he is out of this project.

Don Was has been president of Blue Note for the past four years. It didn't stop him from producing their 2012 sessions or producing the STICKY FINGERS deluxe package. For that matter, he's produced over 16 albums since taking over Blue Note (including artists such as John Mayer and Van Morrison). I don't think he's slowing down from his day job. Wait and see who emerges as the producer in April.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: December 27, 2015 20:23

Obviously it is not true that they must make a new album if they want to "come back"in Europe and N. America. They can continue to tour successfully as they have been doing as long as they are physically able, selling all the tickets they want. And the credibility and integrity of the Rolling Stones does not depend a bit on their releasing new material in 2016,or not.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 27, 2015 21:05

Rokyfan
Obviously it is not true that they must make a new album if they want to "come back"in Europe and N. America. They can continue to tour successfully as they have been doing as long as they are physically able, selling all the tickets they want. And the credibility and integrity of the Rolling Stones does not depend a bit on their releasing new material in 2016,or not.

Exactly, well said. It's not like their touring act is going to change much or they will incorporate a bunch of new songs into their set list. The Stones are recording new music because that's what musicians with new songs do. Seems to me this is more of a creative decision than a business decision at this point. It would obviously be great to see some (unexpected) success with a new album but it has little to do with their ability to continue the main business of the Rolling Stones...touring the world as the greatest rock and roll band that has ever existed.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: December 27, 2015 21:50

Should they tour NA & Europe next year, they can do it without a new album - as long as the Stones play live, people will stand in line to get in. The older they get the easier it gets to sell tickets. Nobody wants to miss the last chance to see the Stones live.

So they dont have to record a new album. If they do, they do it because they want to. Maybe that recording rumor is just a promo gag, maybe they indeed were in a studio strumming and jamming a bit, who knows. Maybe we will get a new album next year, maybe this new-record-project will vanish into thin air, it´s very hard to tell.

Date: December 27, 2015 22:06

I've only said that is a little bit different come back for the third time in US or in Europe always with the same "Concept" like an old live-act or come back with a new "Concept", a new stage, some new songs in the set-list of course connect with the exhibition-ism Concept and event...New stuff and new blood regenerating...Then,I know very well that people will make always sold out every time that the Stones will perform all over the world also without a new record...

Date: December 27, 2015 22:18

mailexile67
Chris Kimsey & The Glimmer Twins will be the producers!

thumbs up

Date: December 27, 2015 22:22

I think they record now because they felt they really had to AND because they wanted to.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 27, 2015 22:37

AND they have new compositions they wish to record and release.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3637383940414243444546...LastNext
Current Page: 41 of 147

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2016
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home