Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4142434445464748495051...LastNext
Current Page: 46 of 147
Re: New Rolling Stones studio album due out in 2016
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 3, 2016 23:55

treaclefingers
corriecas
HMS
KRiffhard
Doom and Gloom? Only a decent Mick's solo demo and nothing more.

Doom And Gloom is a great Stones-song, almost as great as One Hit To Body. Listening to Doom And Gloom for the first time in 2012 is one of my most exciting experiences of being a Stones-fan. Even more exciting than listening to Highwire for the first time. It knocked me out completely, left me breathless, gasping for air.

??????????????????????????????????spinning smiley sticking its tongue out One drink too many, HMS ??
Jeroen

One hit is not a great song by any stretch of the imagination, although certainly better than Highwire which I'd lump in with Don't Stop as amongst the most generic sounding stones songs ever.

Doom & Gloom was a breath of fresh air. Pity they couldn't play it live very well.

Ah come on treacle...Doom and Gloom a breath of fresh air?!!!
As someone here pointed out the day of it's release, it sounds like mid-80's ZZ Top w/drum machine and all. I threw in the 'latter day Aerosmith' comparison above for good measure, because it sounds like the Stones copying Aerosmith copying the Stones resulting in a very diluted generic rock sound. As for playing it live, I actually thought it was slightly better than the studio version, but it was also the 'dud' of every recent setlist.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-03 23:56 by Hairball.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 4, 2016 00:16

Hairball
treaclefingers
corriecas
HMS
KRiffhard

Doom And Gloom is a great Stones-song, almost as great as One Hit To Body. Listening to Doom And Gloom for the first time in 2012 is one of my most exciting experiences of being a Stones-fan. Even more exciting than listening to Highwire for the first time. It knocked me out completely, left me breathless, gasping for air.

??????????????????????????????????spinning smiley sticking its tongue out One drink too many, HMS ??
Jeroen

One hit is not a great song by any stretch of the imagination, although certainly better than Highwire which I'd lump in with Don't Stop as amongst the most generic sounding stones songs ever.

Doom & Gloom was a breath of fresh air. Pity they couldn't play it live very well.

As someone here pointed out the day of it's release, it sounds like mid-80's ZZ Top w/drum machine and all
. I threw in the 'latter day Aerosmith' comparison above for good measure, because it sounds like the Stones copying Aerosmith copying the Stones resulting in a very diluted generic rock sound. As for playing it live, I actually thought it was slightly better than the studio version, but it was also the 'dud' of every recent setlist.

thumbs up
DAG is a sort of 'Everybody gettin' high' part. 2.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: January 4, 2016 00:18

Hairball
treaclefingers
corriecas
HMS
KRiffhard

Jeroen

As someone here pointed out the day of it's release, it sounds like mid-80's ZZ Top w/drum machine and all. I threw in the 'latter day Aerosmith' comparison above for good measure, because it sounds like the Stones copying Aerosmith copying the Stones resulting in a very diluted generic rock sound. As for playing it live, I actually thought it was slightly better than the studio version, but it was also the 'dud' of every recent setlist.

thumbs up

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 4, 2016 00:28

HMS
KRiffhard

No surprise there seeing that you think One Hit is "great". That sums it all up perfectly. Doom And Gloom is not great or almost great by any means, the same with One Hit. Doom And Gloom is catchy, which One Hit is not, and in that sense it's more interesting than One Hit. It doesn't take forever and bore me to sleep, which One Hit does. But Doom And Gloom is not great. It sounds like a leftover from the VOODOO or BANG sessions and is no more interesting than that not-even-B-side material Under The Radar or We Don't Wanna Go Home.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: January 4, 2016 00:36

I really like One More Shot, way more than Doom and Gloom. Along with Crosseyed Heart let's hope that's more the direction they're going this time round.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: January 4, 2016 04:38

shadooby
I really like One More Shot, way more than Doom and Gloom. Along with Crosseyed Heart let's hope that's more the direction they're going this time round.

I agree. Too bad they didn't manage to quote do justice to One More Shot.

Date: January 4, 2016 11:08

TeddyB1018
shadooby

I agree. Too bad they didn't manage to quote do justice to One More Shot.

thumbs up

Date: January 4, 2016 12:40

...are they in studio now?

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: January 4, 2016 12:47

...C'mon Nate!!winking smileycool smileythumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: January 4, 2016 14:37

KRiffhard

As someone here pointed out the day of it's release, it sounds like mid-80's ZZ Top w/drum machine and all
. I threw in the 'latter day Aerosmith' comparison

thumbs up
DAG is a sort of 'Everybody gettin' high' part. 2.[/quote]

Not sure I got the quote section right here... Apologies if I buggered it up. Blame my Smartphone. I am trying to highlight the section "as someone pointed out on the day of its release....ZZTop section.

The "fact" someone pointed it out, does not make it correct. To my ears, D&G is indeed a breath of fresh Stones air! And, that does not make me right either,!

Rod

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: January 4, 2016 14:45

Doom And Gloom is the freshest breeze of air indeed since the release of Highwire/Sexdrive. I dont care if it sounds Aerosmith-onian or ZZTop-ish, I am not familiar with Aerosmith/ZZTop-music, so D&G sounded very fresh and very exciting to me and it still does.

Posted by: rusty ()
Date: January 5, 2016 01:00

Doom and Gloom
got a nomination 2014 for Grammy Award Best Rock Song

Over 14.5 Mill youtube clicks.(not bad for a BB leftover)

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: January 5, 2016 01:18

BB=B2B=Brides to Babylon ? Where did you read that it was a leftover from these sessions ? Mick explained at the time of its release that it's a demo he'd worked on with Matt Clifford and I think it was the second or third song he gave to Don Was and his engineer when it was decided that Grrrr... would have two new tracks.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: January 5, 2016 02:20

kriffhard
hairball

. I threw in the 'latter day Aerosmith' comparison

thumbs up
DAG is a sort of 'Everybody gettin' high' part. 2.

bitusa2012
Not sure I got the quote section right here... Apologies if I buggered it up. Blame my Smartphone. I am trying to highlight the section "as someone pointed out on the day of its release....ZZTop section.

The "fact" someone pointed it out, does not make it correct. To my ears, D&G is indeed a breath of fresh Stones air! And, that does not make me right either,!

Yeah you 'buggered up' the quoting, but I think I've fixed it, and I'll take the credit/blame for the ZZ Top section.
You're right, just because someone says something doesn't make it true. But in this case, whoever made the original ZZ Top comparison was 100% correct in my mind as I can never listen that tune without hearing 'mid-'80s ZZ Top w/drum machines and all'. I've tried to shake the comparison out of my head, and end up hearing an inferior Aerosmith tune instead - it a no-win situation. Perhaps you don't hear it that way and that's OK, consider yourself lucky! thumbs up

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: January 5, 2016 03:24

eye rolling smiley...and zz top wasn't heavily influenced by some of KR most memorable riffs or the sound of the Rolling Stones in general.....yeah I'm sure buying that...not.

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: January 5, 2016 03:30

gotdablouse
BB=B2B=Brides to Babylon ? Where did you read that it was a leftover from these sessions ? Mick explained at the time of its release that it's a demo he'd worked on with Matt Clifford and I think it was the second or third song he gave to Don Was and his engineer when it was decided that Grrrr... would have two new tracks.

Guessing he means Bigger Bang.

Date: January 5, 2016 04:37

Rip This
eye rolling smiley...and zz top wasn't heavily influenced by some of KR most memorable riffs or the sound of the Rolling Stones in general.....yeah I'm sure buying that...not.

Of course they were influenced by the Stones, but that wasn't the point.
I (and whoever first made the comparison) was referring mostly to the sterile over-production w/drum machines mid '80s ZZ Top MTV era.
Listen to any of it (Legs, sharp dressed man, gimme all your lovin, etc) and you might hear it as well? Or maybe not. Whatever the case, Charlie's drumming has rarely sounded so soulless.

Kind of odd when the Stones resort to sounding similar to a band they originally influenced when that band isn't at their best imo (mid-80's ZZ and modern day Aerosmith).
It seems more like the Stones were influenced by them rather than the other way around.

Date: January 5, 2016 04:40

edit - double post

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-05 17:25 by Hairball.

Well I'm sitting here thinkin'
Date: January 5, 2016 01:40

Well I'm sitting here thinking' about how jazzed I am about the prospect of a new Rolling Stones album this year. I became a fan after, It's Only Rock and Roll had been released. I have been a fan for more than 40 years. There have been only 10 days in my life when a new Rolling Stones album has been released. On each of those 10 days, I made my purchase on the day the 'record' was released.

Black and Blue 23 April 1976
Some Girls 9 June 1978
Emotional Rescue 20 June 1980
Tattoo You 24 August 1981
Undercover 7 November 1983
Dirty Work 24 March 1986 (I remember convincing myself this was good)
Steel Wheels 29 August 1989 (Comeback album from a band that never left)
Voodoo Lounge 11 July 1994
Bridge to Babylon 29 Sept 1997 (like it then, still like it now)
A Bigger Bang 5 Sept 2005 (loved it then, still love it now)

As I said, I'm sitting here thinkin' that in the past 40 years of my appreciation for the Rolling Stones - There have been only 10 new studio albums.

For comparison sake, in this same time there have been 12 Queen albums! (and sadly, Mr Mercury has been gone for a long time.)

For comparison sake, in this same time frame there have been 16 James Bond Movies (You need to count Never Say Never Again to get to 16)

For comparison sake, in this same time frame there have been 12 Star Trek Movies. The 13th movie will be out long before the next Rolling Stones release.

Is there a point to this? I don't know...I do know that I love the music of the Rolling Stones.... well i'm sitting here thinking' how cool it is going to be to be able to purchase new music from this band later this year. It is something that does not exactly happen every day. or every year. or every 10 years!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-05 01:42 by HopeYouGuessMyName.

Re: Well I'm sitting here thinkin'
Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: January 5, 2016 09:56

HopeYouGuessMyName
Well I'm sitting here thinking' about how jazzed I am about the prospect of a new Rolling Stones album this year. I became a fan after, It's Only Rock and Roll had been released. I have been a fan for more than 40 years. There have been only 10 days in my life when a new Rolling Stones album has been released. On each of those 10 days, I made my purchase on the day the 'record' was released.

Some Girls 9 June 1978

As I said, I'm sitting here thinkin' that in the past 40 years of my appreciation for the Rolling Stones - There have been only 10 new studio albums.

For comparison sake, in this same time there have been 12 Queen albums! (and sadly, Mr Mercury has been gone for a long time.)

For comparison sake, in this same time frame there have been 16 James Bond Movies (You need to count Never Say Never Again to get to 16)

For comparison sake, in this same time frame there have been 12 Star Trek Movies. The 13th movie will be out long before the next Rolling Stones release.

Is there a point to this? I don't know...I do know that I love the music of the Rolling Stones.... well i'm sitting here thinking' how cool it is going to be to be able to purchase new music from this band later this year. It is something that does not exactly happen every day. or every year. or every 10 years!

Great, GREAT post.

Rod

I LOVE THE ROLLING STONES
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: January 5, 2016 10:03

HopeYouGuessMyName
.... well i'm sitting here thinking' how cool it is going to be to be able to purchase new music from this band later this year. It is something that does not exactly happen every day. or every year. or every 10 years!

.... and I love this post.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: January 5, 2016 13:54

HMS
KRiffhard

I confess I had the same experience with "Doom And Gloom". Totally love that number!!

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: January 5, 2016 14:29

Mel Belli
gotdablouse

B & B = Black And Blue

B 2 B = Brides to Babylon

A B B = A Bigger Bang...

Re: Keith Richards: New Rolling Stones Record Coming Next Year
Date: January 5, 2016 14:34

keefriffhards
matxil
[www.theguardian.com]

Not a very interesting article in the Guardian, but one thing caught my attention:

"Earlier this year, Mick Jagger hinted that the Stones had new material for a potential album. “It would be very nice and I’ve got a lot of new songs and songs I’ve written over the last couple of years,” he said. “I’ve done really good demos for all of them, which I would love to record. So, let’s hope so.”"

And I think this is really the problem, and makes me rather pessimistic about their "new album". Whereas apparantly Keith wrote his new solo album in the studio in cooperation with Steve Jordan, apparantly with the Stones it will be - again - Mick having his songs, Keith having his songs, and the Stones just working as hired session-players.
Which is exactly the main reason why all of their post-Undercover albums (to say the least) lack the quality of their earlier work.

Agreed matxil

you are absolutely right here

thumbs up

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 5, 2016 15:44

KRiffhard
keefriffhards
matxil
[www.theguardian.com]

Not a very interesting article in the Guardian, but one thing caught my attention:

"Earlier this year, Mick Jagger hinted that the Stones had new material for a potential album. “It would be very nice and I’ve got a lot of new songs and songs I’ve written over the last couple of years,” he said. “I’ve done really good demos for all of them, which I would love to record. So, let’s hope so.”"

And I think this is really the problem, and makes me rather pessimistic about their "new album". Whereas apparantly Keith wrote his new solo album in the studio in cooperation with Steve Jordan, apparantly with the Stones it will be - again - Mick having his songs, Keith having his songs, and the Stones just working as hired session-players.
Which is exactly the main reason why all of their post-Undercover albums (to say the least) lack the quality of their earlier work.

Agreed matxil

thumbs up

Hopefully this album is getting the documentary treatment so we can see the recording process unfold. I'm optimistic Mick and Keith will play nice…..grinning smiley

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: January 5, 2016 16:36

RoughJusticeOnYa
Mel Belli
gotdablouse

B & B = Black And Blue

B 2 B = Bridges to Babylon

A B B = A Bigger Bang...

B t B = Between the Buttons

BB = Beggar's Banquet

Let's hope their new album with not be called "Breaking Bad" or "Bust a Button" or "Back in Business" or any other combinations with Bs in them.

Date: January 5, 2016 16:41

BAB = Black And Blue smiling smiley

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: January 5, 2016 16:53

KRiffhard
keefriffhards
matxil
[www.theguardian.com]

Agreed matxil

thumbs up

yes that's it

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: January 5, 2016 17:07

HopeYouGuessMyName

Some Girls 9 June 1978

It is pretty amazing . . . 10 albums in 40 years (actually 30 because the last ten there have been none). Yet, the Stones continue to be perhaps the most successful touring band of all time with only one song from those 40 years an integral part of their show. Except for Start me Up the Stones could be doing exactly what they are doing without any of those ten albums ever existing. It is why I personally think that this talk of a new album being recorded and released is way overblown, rumor inflated into reality. I don't think they have the desire, or the need, to put in the type and volume of work necessary to result in a new album, despite that they may have spent a few days in a studio last month. It's just my opinion.

Date: January 5, 2016 17:12

Rokyfan
HopeYouGuessMyName

Some Girls 9 June 1978

It is pretty amazing . . . 10 albums in 40 years (actually 30 because the last ten there have been none). Yet, the Stones continue to be perhaps the most successful touring band of all time with only one song from those 40 years an integral part of their show. Except for Start me Up the Stones could be doing exactly what they are doing without any of those ten albums ever existing. It is why I personally think that this talk of a new album being recorded and released is way overblown, rumor inflated into reality. I don't think they have the desire, or the need, to put in the type and volume of work necessary to result in a new album, despite that they may have spent a few days in a studio last month. It's just my opinion.

They also played OOC frequently, YGMR now and again and SOL a couple of times, since the 2012 comeback.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4142434445464748495051...LastNext
Current Page: 46 of 147

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2532
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home