Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4445464748495051525354...LastNext
Current Page: 49 of 147
Re: New Rolling Stones studio album due out in 2016
Posted by: alfadriver85 ()
Date: January 7, 2016 00:10

" We must remain hopeful and positive despite the last 30+ years worth of sub par material. Admittedly not an easy task - for them or for us - only time will tell."

I've watched this site for years and only started posting - primarily because no matter what the Stones do or how they do it - there are people who do nothing but complain. If that's how you feel why even post or bother to contribute? No disrespect intended but maybe you (and fellow like-minded fans) should start a blog / website / forum dedicated to pre - Ronnie era Stones that doesn't discuss anything beyond It's Only R & R.

Don't get me wrong - I have pet peeves also: the greed, tired set lists, matt clifford, chuck etc., but I think most fans come on here wanting to be informed (or at least come away with a positive vibe) and not be grinding their teeth when all the naysayers are chiming in.

The new tunes will be just fine. EVERY release from '62 forward has duds (yes, even Exile) but to say everything for the past 30/40 years is sub par is stretching it a bit.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: January 7, 2016 00:11

ive no doubt the band are still capable of making a good album, doubt they will make a great one but if they can make one that is better than voodoo lounge or bridges to babylon i will be quite pleased.

wouldnt mind a mixture of songs, a couple of ballads, a couple of heavy rockers, mid tempo rockers, 2 keith songs, blues and the odd reggae, keep it to 10 or 11 good songs only.

Posted by: alfadriver85 ()
Date: January 7, 2016 00:13

both voodoo lounge or bridges to babylon are excellent and EQUAL to either would be fine.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 7, 2016 00:14

Despite their lackluster studio output for the last 30+ years (IMO), they still put on a great show!
Looking forward to their return to the stage - there's excitment in the air!

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: January 7, 2016 00:23

24FPS
I will always look forward to a new Stones album. But I don't get excited and head to the record store first day anymore. They've broken me of that with a lot of subpar songs. I don't even listen to ABB any longer, though I spun it a few times in the beginning. Rough Justice is great, and couple others. They simply don't have the cohesion and desire they had in the past. I'll be happy if they squeeze out one great single, like Doom & Gloom, and maybe an enjoyable album cut or two. I don't expect anything interesting on bass or keyboards, so that's not a worry. And I think if there is anything interesting it will come from Mick's direction.

24FPS: "I will always look forward to a new Stones album. But I don't get excited and head to the record store first day anymore.
Second day! HAHAHAHA. What for. Don't you have the money to buy a CD?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-07 00:24 by RipThisBone.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: January 7, 2016 05:56

Nate
The last I heard which was very recently was that it will be a new album and like I said before my source of information regarding this is the best you can get.
I can't
believe people are already being negative about it when the band are in the process of making it and you haven't even heard it yet.

Nate

...Believe it, Nate (pretty disheartening and silly isn't it?). The Stones most hard core fans are their biggest naysayers and are totally pessimistic when it comes to the online community. In person they are optomistic and excited.. online nine out of ten throw them under the bus <before ... not after> tours and albums lol.

First it was <they will never record another album .. Keith lost his mojo / writing chops...and besides they just don't have any interest in that any more> ...blah-blah-blah.

Then it was.. well ...they may be in the studio but it is probably for a re-issue or they are recording just a couple songs for another greatest hits or perhaps are readying a single coincide with a tour late next year.

Now that we know they are indeed in the studio for an album (most likely due out some time in the late summer / or fall of 2017 ..) ...we've got...>> Well ...probably wont happen this year.. maybe next year....who knows> Lol

Then when we get an idea of a time frame when it is to come out you will hear how badly it will most likely be an embarrassment or how it will more-over just suck .. ..

THEN .. the album will come out .. 9 out of 10 people will love it. They will talk it up.. and be stammered with it. Then.. down the road ... half of those will change their opinion and simply rate it as an average or mediocre album three years or so on down the road Lol.

Sad ...and in a sense..kinda silly innit?

My assumption is that if The Stones themselves didn't truly feel they could at least make a 'really good' album at this late stage in their career that they would not venture into that at this point and put their name on the line with figuring to release one ... Not to mention wasting hours and hours ...days...months of time and hard work.

There is my two lousy bits .. (which is about all they are worth lol).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-07 06:01 by IanBillen.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 7, 2016 08:44

RipThisBone
24FPS
I will always look forward to a new Stones album. But I don't get excited and head to the record store first day anymore. They've broken me of that with a lot of subpar songs. I don't even listen to ABB any longer, though I spun it a few times in the beginning. Rough Justice is great, and couple others. They simply don't have the cohesion and desire they had in the past. I'll be happy if they squeeze out one great single, like Doom & Gloom, and maybe an enjoyable album cut or two. I don't expect anything interesting on bass or keyboards, so that's not a worry. And I think if there is anything interesting it will come from Mick's direction.

24FPS: "I will always look forward to a new Stones album. But I don't get excited and head to the record store first day anymore.

Here in L.A. we still have a few record stores, including one of the best in the country, Amoeba. So yeah, I could go to the record store and pick up a vinyl long player first day if I felt like it.
So, yeah, I could go to the record store

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: January 7, 2016 09:41

24FPS
RipThisBone
24FPS

Here in L.A. we still have a few record stores, including one of the best in the country, Amoeba. So yeah, I could go to the record store and pick up a vinyl long player first day if I felt like it.
So, yeah, I could go to the record store
Good to hear amoeba still exists.
I was there once. Fifteen years ago.
Should i ever visit california again I'll definitely go to amoeba

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 7, 2016 10:46

Are they in studio now?

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: January 7, 2016 11:16

IanBillen

My assumption is that if The Stones themselves didn't truly feel they could at least make a 'really good' album at this late stage in their career that they would not venture into that at this point and put their name on the line with figuring to release one ... Not to mention wasting hours and hours ...days...months of time and hard work.

If you think that Dirty Work, Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge, Bridges To Babylon and A Bigger Bang are great albums, your argument makes sense. To me, all those albums were disappointing even though they spent hours and hours and months of (hard?) work on it. I kinda like Bridges to Babylon, which I occasionally listen to (although I normally skip a few songs). But for the rest, I prefer one of their Magnificent Seven (BB, LiB, GYYO, SF, EOMS, SG, TY) or one of their Still Very Damn Good, instead of their post Undercover work. And I don't think it's because of Ronnie as some people seem to suggest. As a matter of fact, I don't think anybody is to blame. It makes sense that at a certain age, you don't share all the same feelings and interests as your friends, which is what has happened to Mick and Keith. And that is fine. No problem. But I would have preferred if both of them would have spent more time on their solo projects over the past 30 years instead of making so-called Stones albums which in fact were one part Mick + one part Keith albums, which is not the same.
And no, not only Stones fans are their biggest nay-sayers, ask anyone with a remote interest in rock music, and they would say more or less the same.

Having said all that, of course, I hope this time they really will surprise me. I'll promise, if that's the case, I will publicly (well, here on IORR) announce how wrong I was to expect anything less.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: January 7, 2016 15:03

They can make a great or really good album if they stick to 10 tracks and have the sequencing flow good. Voodoo, and ABB suffered from this.

Date: January 7, 2016 15:15

Bashlets
They can make a great or really good album if they stick to 10 tracks and have the sequencing flow good. Voodoo, and ABB suffered from this.

B2B as well, imo.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 7, 2016 16:12

DandelionPowderman
Bashlets

B2B as well, imo.

B2B to a lesser extent because it has 13 songs compared to 15 and 16 on the other two. If you look at most releases recently they range between 38 to 45 minutes. I point to Cage The Elephant and The Arcs for example, 3 to 4 minute ditty's. Of course Bowie is a different animal but even Blackstar comes in at 41 minutes and actually includes reworked versions of recent previously released songs(which is weird IMO) And if Cage The Elephant are rock's saviors believe me the Stones could totally blow their new album away if they wanted to…..thumbs up

Date: January 7, 2016 16:22

Maindefender
DandelionPowderman
Bashlets

B2B as well, imo.

B2B to a lesser extent because it has 13 songs compared to 15 and 16 on the other two. If you look at most releases recently they range between 38 to 45 minutes. I point to Cage The Elephant and The Arcs for example, 3 to 4 minute ditty's. Of course Bowie is a different animal but even Blackstar comes in at 41 minutes and actually includes reworked versions of recent previously released songs(which is weird IMO) And if Cage The Elephant are rock's saviors believe me the Stones could totally blow their new album away if they wanted to…..thumbs up

I agree about the time and amount of songs-aspect. But B2B is so diverse, also quality-wise, and that makes the flow suffer, imo. The other two albums have songs with a more even quality to them, imo.

It's hard to get a good flow with three or four very weak tracks in between the really good ones (again imho).

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: January 7, 2016 18:52

Create your own 10-12-song-ABB, -VL & -B2B. The result are albums equally as good as most of their 70s/80s-albums. Not as good as Undercover or DW, but pretty close.

If the new album has 18 songs again I dont care, the more songs the more to choose from when once again creating my own version of the album.

But it is correct that the overall quality of the post DW-albums suffer from too many songs... compared to their usal 10-12-track albums ABB, VL, B2B seem weak but the arent really, they´re just too long (just like Exile).

Steel Wheels however is a hopeless case, all you can squeeze out of it is a 5-track-EP.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-07 18:59 by HMS.

Date: January 7, 2016 19:04

HMS
Create your own 10-12-song-ABB, -VL & -B2B. The result are albums equally as good as most of their 70s/80s-albums. Not as good as Undercover or DW, but pretty close.

If the new album has 18 songs again I dont care, the more songs the more to choose from when once again creating my own version of the album.

But it is correct that the overall quality of the post DW-albums suffer from to many songs... compared to their usal 10-12-track albums ABB, VL, B2B seem weak but the arent really, they´re just too long (just like Exile).

I gave Undercover a listen, I like maybe 4 songs(Undercover, SWH, Feel On and Pretty BU) plus the mix could be better. What's the best release out there? Sorry to get off track.

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: January 7, 2016 19:16

HMS

But it is correct that the overall quality of the post DW-albums suffer from too many songs... compared to their usal 10-12-track albums ABB, VL, B2B seem weak but the arent really, they´re just too long (just like Exile).

Steel Wheels however is a hopeless case, all you can squeeze out of it is a 5-track-EP.

"Not as good as Undercover or DW" Are you drunk?

Posted by: nankerzrk ()
Date: January 7, 2016 20:33

Stones50
HMS

"Not as good as Undercover or DW" Are you drunk?

Yeah, sorry, I'd pick ABB, VL, or B2B in the blink of an eye over either of those two.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: January 7, 2016 23:59

alfadriver85
" We must remain hopeful and positive despite the last 30+ years worth of sub par material. Admittedly not an easy task - for them or for us - only time will tell."

I've watched this site for years and only started posting - primarily because no matter what the Stones do or how they do it - there are people who do nothing but complain. If that's how you feel why even post or bother to contribute? No disrespect intended but maybe you (and fellow like-minded fans) should start a blog / website / forum dedicated to pre - Ronnie era Stones that doesn't discuss anything beyond It's Only R & R.

Don't get me wrong - I have pet peeves also: the greed, tired set lists, matt clifford, chuck etc., but I think most fans come on here wanting to be informed (or at least come away with a positive vibe) and not be grinding their teeth when all the naysayers are chiming in.

The new tunes will be just fine. EVERY release from '62 forward has duds (yes, even Exile) but to say everything for the past 30/40 years is sub par is stretching it a bit.
You decided to start posting only in order to complain about posters who complain all the time (and also about the Stones'greed, the stale setlists, leavall and clifford)? OK.

The Rolling Stones suffer from their greatness . . . from the fact that (in my opinion) that between 1962 and 1972 they produced the greatest body of work that rock and roll has seen other than the obvious Beatles (who lasted a blink of an eye compared to the Stones) and Dylan (who is not really comparable for only that he is one guy and not an rock and roll band). An absolutely incredible catalog of songs that are great in so many ways . . . a catalog that has carried them through touring with what you call stale setlists and what I call, again, the greatest body of work in rock and roll, not in the fashion of the beach Boys at county fairs but as a vital touring band over decades, playing those same numbers, making millions of fans happy.

So no way whatever they came up with after that can measure up. It's not a knock it is a comment on how mindblowingly great all of those songs are (sure not all, but most). I happen to love some of their post-Exile stuff and I agree that 12 song Steel Wheels and after albums would have a lot of good stuff, but I don't get this need to pretend that the Stones are some sort of current vital band that is anywhere near the top of their game (songwriting, not performing, where they have managed to persist, in my opinion). But the people who are more critical that I of their post-Exile output don't bother me, why should they bother you? I mean you can disagree on whether or not Streets of Love sucks but still agree on why the Stones are what they are, because it's a complete side issue.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 8, 2016 00:21

Rokyfan
alfadriver85

You decided to start posting only in order to complain about posters who complain all the time (and also about the Stones'greed, the stale setlists, leavall and clifford)? OK.

The Rolling Stones suffer from their greatness . . . from the fact that (in my opinion) that between 1962 and 1972 they produced the greatest body of work that rock and roll has seen other than the obvious Beatles (who lasted a blink of an eye compared to the Stones) and Dylan (who is not really comparable for only that he is one guy and not an rock and roll band). An absolutely incredible catalog of songs that are great in so many ways . . . a catalog that has carried them through touring with what you call stale setlists and what I call, again, the greatest body of work in rock and roll, not in the fashion of the beach Boys at county fairs but as a vital touring band over decades, playing those same numbers, making millions of fans happy.

So no way whatever they came up with after that can measure up. It's not a knock it is a comment on how mindblowingly great all of those songs are (sure not all, but most). I happen to love some of their post-Exile stuff and I agree that 12 song Steel Wheels and after albums would have a lot of good stuff, but I don't get this need to pretend that the Stones are some sort of current vital band that is anywhere near the top of their game (songwriting, not performing, where they have managed to persist, in my opinion). But the people who are more critical that I of their post-Exile output don't bother me, why should they bother you? I mean you can disagree on whether or not Streets of Love sucks but still agree on why the Stones are what they are, because it's a complete side issue.
smileys with beerthumbs up

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 8, 2016 08:07

Rokyfan
alfadriver85

thumbs up

Date: January 8, 2016 08:11

matxil
IanBillen

If you think that Dirty Work, Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge, Bridges To Babylon and A Bigger Bang are great albums, your argument makes sense. To me, all those albums were disappointing even though they spent hours and hours and months of (hard?) work on it. I kinda like Bridges to Babylon, which I occasionally listen to (although I normally skip a few songs). But for the rest, I prefer one of their Magnificent Seven (BB, LiB, GYYO, SF, EOMS, SG, TY) or one of their Still Very Damn Good, instead of their post Undercover work. And I don't think it's because of Ronnie as some people seem to suggest. As a matter of fact, I don't think anybody is to blame. It makes sense that at a certain age, you don't share all the same feelings and interests as your friends, which is what has happened to Mick and Keith. And that is fine. No problem. But I would have preferred if both of them would have spent more time on their solo projects over the past 30 years instead of making so-called Stones albums which in fact were one part Mick + one part Keith albums, which is not the same.
And no, not only Stones fans are their biggest nay-sayers, ask anyone with a remote interest in rock music, and they would say more or less the same.

Having said all that, of course, I hope this time they really will surprise me. I'll promise, if that's the case, I will publicly (well, here on IORR) announce how wrong I was to expect anything less.

- I think Dirty work is 'fair'... Steel Wheels 'decent' ... Voodoo Lounge excellent as well as BTB and ABB.

- You wish over the last 30 years they would of spent more time on their solo projects versus giving us SW, VL, BTB, and ABB ....?

Well I have to strongly disagree on that one... I think Main Offender was very good and Wandering Spirit darn good... but other than those and Crosseyed Heart.. (= pretty decent album for what it is and was scoped to be...) I can't see any logic in them being better Solo than the Stones stuff we got.

Wow.. I didn't know anyone wanted more Mick Solo from Undercover on out.....? .. let alone wanting that over working with The Stones...??

BUT... you know I respect your opinion and all. I also am glad you voice it. I realize the stuff they have given us isn't on par with the big four but times change, eras change, recording equipment changes.. music changes. Ya can't remake those or make something quite as strong in most situations because of all that. However I think they have given us quality works and at least three excellent albums.. right there in being at least as good as the best works of the year, or possibly slightly better than anything that was out there the years they were released in a few of those albums (Voodoo Lounge and A Bigger Bang).

Ian

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: January 8, 2016 13:31

IanBillen
[...]

Wow.. I didn't know anyone wanted more Mick Solo from Undercover on out.....? .. let alone wanting that over working with The Stones...??

[...]

Most of what you say, fair enough, I see your point.

Just two things to add:
I did not say I liked Mick's stuff better than Stones stuff. I don't. I can't listen to any of it. But, I do think if that's what he wants to do, then he should. I won't listen to it, but I don't listen (apart from a few songs here and there) to the latest Stones albums either. The difference is: Mick's solo albums are something standalone. as are Keith's solo albums, which I do listen to. Stones albums are Stones albums which I compare with what they used to do and it's not up to the same standard because Mick and Keith don't want to do the same thing anymore.

Secondly, I am not just comparing their later stuff to "The Big Four". I think Tattoo You, which was at the start of the 80s, is still a very good album. I'd give it a 10. Undercover is half great, half very bad. And it went downhill after that: first one plain terrible album and then a series of mediocre albums with some good/ok/great stuff on it (One Hit, Slipping Away, Got Me Rocking, Saint Of Me, Thief in the Night) but too much filler, half-hearted stuff, and mediocre nothing.

They are still the greatest live band in the world, and I love them for what they did and still do. But I don't see the point in making a new album, unless Mick and Keith are really inspired to do so and are on the same wavelength.

Date: January 8, 2016 15:49

matxil
IanBillen
[...]

[...]

Just two things to add:
I did not say I liked Mick's stuff better than Stones stuff. I don't. I can't listen to any of it. But, I do think if that's what he wants to do, then he should. I won't listen to it, but I don't listen (apart from a few songs here and there) to the latest Stones albums either. The difference is: Mick's solo albums are something standalone. as are Keith's solo albums, which I do listen to. Stones albums are Stones albums which I compare with what they used to do and it's not up to the same standard because Mick and Keith don't want to do the same thing anymore.

Secondly, I am not just comparing their later stuff to "The Big Four". I think Tattoo You, which was at the start of the 80s, is still a very good album. I'd give it a 10. Undercover is half great, half very bad. And it went downhill after that: first one plain terrible album and then a series of mediocre albums with some good/ok/great stuff on it (One Hit, Slipping Away, Got Me Rocking, Saint Of Me, Thief in the Night) but too much filler, half-hearted stuff, and mediocre nothing.

They are still the greatest live band in the world, and I love them for what they did and still do. But I don't see the point in making a new album, unless Mick and Keith are really inspired to do so and are on the same wavelength.

thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 8, 2016 16:08

i agree with Matxil for a fair bit. I am just very happy, the Stones are still alive and kicking !!
Really anxious about the new album. There will be some good songs on it, and some other songs that are okay. Nobody will agree with eachother about the quality of the songs. This is all chitter chatter, the stones bring us new music !!

Thats great and i thank them for doing so!!!
One Love
jeroen

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 8, 2016 18:24

Maindefender
matxil
IanBillen
[...]

[...]

Just two things to add:

thumbs upthumbs up

Good stuff matxil.
This echoes what many of us think - your post deserves a 'sticky' all by itself imo. winking smiley

Date: January 9, 2016 05:49

matxil
IanBillen
[...]

[...]

Just two things to add:

I see what you mean.. on a 'personal' level you don't feel Mick and Keith are that into it <together>. Well on A Bigger Bang they worked more closely than they had, perhaps since the 70's. I thought they delivered a super album with it too. Love voodoo Lounge and BTB is very good. Steel Wheels is decent.. it has its moments but nothing great.

Anyway

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: January 9, 2016 09:53

I look forward to a new Stones album. Hopefully, there will be a couple of really good songs among the just good songs, and hopefully not any lousy songs. New Stones music is a gift and I will enjoy it. I compare Stones music to what Johnny Carson once said about sex: Even when it's not that good, it's not that bad.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 9, 2016 18:52

IanBillen

You need to consider not the stage of their career but the other obvious part: if they're going to be "wasting hours and hours ...days...months of time and hard work" then please explain THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST, BETWEEN THE BUTTONS and DIRTY WORK, albums that the Stones themselves think are shit?

Just because it's "hard work" doesn't equate with excellence.

The first part of what you said is irrelevant; see above mentioned albums plus STEEL WHEELS, VOODOO LOUNGE, BRIDGES TO BABYLON and A BIGGER BANG.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: January 9, 2016 19:42

GasLightStreet
THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST, BETWEEN THE BUTTONS and DIRTY WORK, albums that the Stones themselves think are shit?

The Stones - as well as some fans - are very wrong regarding Dirty Work.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4445464748495051525354...LastNext
Current Page: 49 of 147

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2424
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home