Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3233343536373839404142...LastNext
Current Page: 37 of 147
Re: New Rolling Stones studio album due out in 2016
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 20, 2015 17:08

24FPS
ChefGuevara
Lorenz
I really hope it's not going to be like ABB. I'd much much rather have another Voodoo Lounge or Bridges. I am aware I'm in the minority here, but I love both albums and hardly ever listen to ABB.

Agree. I can't stand the way ABB is mixed...and even though I like a couple of songs, I never listen to it.
Much prefer Bridges and Voodoo.

There are only a handful of Stones songs I listen to post-Wyman. You Got Me Rocking, Love is Strong, The Worst, You Don't Have to Mean It, Rough Justice and Doom and Gloom. And these Vault Series releases continue to show how good Wyman was. The Stones are so clueless about the importance of bass that they let Mick play on ABB. Yes, they've put on some great concerts post-Wyman, but the bass is missing. There's a meandering, non-emotional noodling going on, but nothing worth picking out with your ears. Too bad everybody's egos, including Bill's, can't allow a situation where they let him play on a couple cuts. In that sense the best Stones cuts of the last few years have been the bonus cuts with Bill on them. Can anyone honestly say they can't wait for the new album to hear what Darryl created?

you lost me after you admitted to listening to ygmr.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 20, 2015 17:31

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Keith played much of the bass on Crosseyed Heart.
Hey I love Bill Wyman too, and for a 100% untrained non musician,
of course I can here it/ miss him!
But it is what it is in 2015,
and it's been one hell of a
ROLLING STONES YEAR.
Glorious.
A lot of joy in my heart they are still working,
still giving us their genius to follow.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 20, 2015 18:13

matxil
Witness
KRiffhard
Witness
KRiffhard
I'm worried that Mick's demos are like 'Vision of Paradise', 'Gun', 'Joy', 'Sweet Neo con', 'Everybody getting high', 'Dancing in the starlight', 'Look what the cat dragged in' and all useless Superheavy stuff!
Fingers crossed!

It starts to be irritating. Reading posts like that more than once, I for one have to say that I would not be less worried to have demos like those CROSSEYED HEART songs for a new Rolling Stones album. Adequate enough for a Keith solo album, nonetheless to me it would be far from satisfying for a new Rolling Stones album.

Irritating?!
I only mentioned some Mick's awful songs. And it's the same with Keith's 'Losing my touch' or 'Infamy'. It's your problem if you like that useless stuff!

But you onesidedly mentionned only Mick's songs, almost as if it would be satisfying to everybody else to have a whole Rolling Stones album consist only of CROSSEYED HEART-like songs, even if it possibly might have suited you.

Myself, apart from "Gun", I quite like the listed Mick' solo songs as solo songs, different from Mick's Stones songs, giving a variation. In addition, "Look What the Cat Dragged In" to me is not one of the best, but still good A BIGGER BANG song. And I am one to hold "Sweet Neocon", even if a moderate song, but better than its apparent rumour, to have some "harsh" quality that suits the lyrics of a song, which in my view has some importance.

I gladly take that alleged problem as my privilege and would not have reacted the same way if you have included those, obviously fewer for you, Keith numbers you find "useless" in your language.

I don't understand the irritation.
Mick Jagger can be credited to try something really different in his solo albums (with the possible exception of Wandering Spirit), away from the Stones and the sort of music that originally inspired the Stones. That's an admirable attempt but you can't expect all Stones fans to like it. I - for one - don't like his solo stuff much. It's also understandable and inevitable that some of the interests that inspire his solo-stuff have crept into his Stones work, hence Sweet Neocon or that certain way he sings ballads nowadays. Again, you cannot expect all Stones fans to like that, since it's quite far away from what the Stones used to do.
Keith has developed his own solo style, and even though it's different from the Stones in many ways, and not all Stones fans like it equally, it's undeniably much closer to the music that originally inspired the Stones: blues, country, rock n roll and soul. Also in his case, some of his solo-interests have crept into his Stones work: the crooning, jazzy, bar at closing time stuff (Thief in the Night), which some like and others don't.
In general I like Keith's solo work very much but not always the stuff he brought to the Stones. (Didn't like Infamy, didn't like This Place is Empty, for instance). However, it cannot be that surprising that for a new Stones album, the fear for Mick's demos might be bigger than a fear for Keith's demos.
In the long run, however, never mind the demos of either one, there is only way a new Stones album could have a point: when Mick and Keith start writing together, based on some common ground, some shared interest in certain music. If that's still there: great. If not: then why even bother?

Well, two posters on (corrected) last page of the thread not only understood the beginning irritation, but in their different ways shared it. Two posters did not, one of which yourself.

Your exposition of their contrasting approaches, related to solo material, compares well to my own saying that Keith wants to be innovative within a certain concept of what Rolling Stones music is or usually can be like, whereas Mick from time to time earlier was prone to expand or stretch that concept. Besides, Mick seems even further oriented towards moving out of a certain box, when it comes to his solo releases, even if he once seemed eager to show that he was capable on his own to make a Rolling Stones album. Remarked in passing, that was the occasion when I myself really missed the band and his band musicians' contributions to that music, and it constitutes one minor weakness to me about that strong song material.

As to socalled mannerisms in Mick's singing, probably not only of ballads, I see that as genuine sincerity about his somewhat distancing him from lyrics that he no more feels the same way (or mixed emotions or expressing nuances or whatever), as an alternative to feigned sincerity if he should have sung them in the same manner as before.

When it then comes to attitudes among Stones fans, whatever they feel about Mick's solo albums, I guess many as well have hopes for Mick especially to contribute to make a new album emerge as different from its predecessors. So I assume that those less conservative fans about what a Rolling Stones album could sound like, would find it unwarranted that Mick onesidedly, mark that, should alone be singled out for such critical remarks in advance.

When you name "Sweet Neocon" as an example of solo Mick stuff pervading his Stones songs, I disagree. If you had taken "Streets of Love" as an example instead, I would have agreed more. The live version fron Rome showed that the comparative weakness of that song was not the song material as such, but that the band did not colour the released album version enough. "Sweet Neocon", however, I see as one other "less is more", that is somewhat minimalist, song that one finds many cases of round about the Stones career. Some very popular with a majority of fans, others only among shifting minorities. That minority is apparently very small for this song. Somehow I think that fact is due to the controversial lyrics for some listeners.

Edit: One correction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-20 19:16 by Witness.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 20, 2015 18:39

matxil
However, it cannot be that surprising that for a new Stones album, the fear for Mick's demos might be bigger than a fear for Keith's demos.

thumbs up

Sounds like common sense to me.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 20, 2015 19:20

Hairball
matxil
However, it cannot be that surprising that for a new Stones album, the fear for Mick's demos might be bigger than a fear for Keith's demos.

thumbs up

thumbs up

The fear for Mick's solo demos is a matter of fact. We can only hope that are good songs... nothing similar to Goddess/Alfie/Superheavy/Streets of Love stuff.

Date: December 20, 2015 20:00

KRiffhard
Hairball
matxil

thumbs up

thumbs up

The fear for Mick's solo demos is a matter of fact. We can only hope that are good songs... nothing similar to Goddess/Alfie/Superheavy/Streets of Love stuff.

I think we are in need of Mick to get out of the post-1989 continuance, as displayed by "Doom And Gloom", really not by CROSSEYED HEART. Then Keith has to stand up against some, perhaps five, out of Mick's song proposals and accept the others. And Mick to overrule Keith on three out of those five. Keith then to add his stain of "dust" on two out of the latter three songs.

Implementing my preferred 65 - 35 per cent balance between them. Then we will get one semi-great or even great album.

Edit: One minor language correction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-20 20:28 by Witness.

Date: December 20, 2015 20:18

I trust Mick to give us some good stuff this time thumbs up

Date: December 20, 2015 20:56

DandelionPowderman

I really do.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 20, 2015 21:03

STEEL WHEELS North American tour they played 3 songs in the early part of the tour and the latter part 5-6 songs from STEEL WHEELS.

Japan "tour" they played 4-5 songs.

URBAN JUNGLE they played 5-6 songs.

There was nothing adventurous about that tour overall, it was very safe. They got a better for the VOODOO tours and BRIDGES tours.

Looks like a lot of people don't understand the deal behind people wishing if the Stones did something like CROSSEYED HEART: yes, not all the songs are GREAT but the point is it's the input, the thought, the feel, the vibe, the sound, the humanity, the existence of the music and of the album that if the Stones were to somehow do as well that it would be spectacular.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 20, 2015 21:58

Witness
matxil
Witness
KRiffhard
Witness
KRiffhard
I'm worried that Mick's demos are like 'Vision of Paradise', 'Gun', 'Joy', 'Sweet Neo con', 'Everybody getting high', 'Dancing in the starlight', 'Look what the cat dragged in' and all useless Superheavy stuff!
Fingers crossed!

It starts to be irritating. Reading posts like that more than once, I for one have to say that I would not be less worried to have demos like those CROSSEYED HEART songs for a new Rolling Stones album. Adequate enough for a Keith solo album, nonetheless to me it would be far from satisfying for a new Rolling Stones album.

Irritating?!
I only mentioned some Mick's awful songs. And it's the same with Keith's 'Losing my touch' or 'Infamy'. It's your problem if you like that useless stuff!

But you onesidedly mentionned only Mick's songs, almost as if it would be satisfying to everybody else to have a whole Rolling Stones album consist only of CROSSEYED HEART-like songs, even if it possibly might have suited you.

Myself, apart from "Gun", I quite like the listed Mick' solo songs as solo songs, different from Mick's Stones songs, giving a variation. In addition, "Look What the Cat Dragged In" to me is not one of the best, but still good A BIGGER BANG song. And I am one to hold "Sweet Neocon", even if a moderate song, but better than its apparent rumour, to have some "harsh" quality that suits the lyrics of a song, which in my view has some importance.

I gladly take that alleged problem as my privilege and would not have reacted the same way if you have included those, obviously fewer for you, Keith numbers you find "useless" in your language.

I don't understand the irritation.
Mick Jagger can be credited to try something really different in his solo albums (with the possible exception of Wandering Spirit), away from the Stones and the sort of music that originally inspired the Stones. That's an admirable attempt but you can't expect all Stones fans to like it. I - for one - don't like his solo stuff much. It's also understandable and inevitable that some of the interests that inspire his solo-stuff have crept into his Stones work, hence Sweet Neocon or that certain way he sings ballads nowadays. Again, you cannot expect all Stones fans to like that, since it's quite far away from what the Stones used to do.
Keith has developed his own solo style, and even though it's different from the Stones in many ways, and not all Stones fans like it equally, it's undeniably much closer to the music that originally inspired the Stones: blues, country, rock n roll and soul. Also in his case, some of his solo-interests have crept into his Stones work: the crooning, jazzy, bar at closing time stuff (Thief in the Night), which some like and others don't.
In general I like Keith's solo work very much but not always the stuff he brought to the Stones. (Didn't like Infamy, didn't like This Place is Empty, for instance). However, it cannot be that surprising that for a new Stones album, the fear for Mick's demos might be bigger than a fear for Keith's demos.
In the long run, however, never mind the demos of either one, there is only way a new Stones album could have a point: when Mick and Keith start writing together, based on some common ground, some shared interest in certain music. If that's still there: great. If not: then why even bother?

Well, two posters on (corrected) last page of the thread not only understood the beginning irritation, but in their different ways shared it. Two posters did not, one of which yourself.

Your exposition of their contrasting approaches, related to solo material, compares well to my own saying that Keith wants to be innovative within a certain concept of what Rolling Stones music is or usually can be like, whereas Mick from time to time earlier was prone to expand or stretch that concept. Besides, Mick seems even further oriented towards moving out of a certain box, when it comes to his solo releases, even if he once seemed eager to show that he was capable on his own to make a Rolling Stones album. Remarked in passing, that was the occasion when I myself really missed the band and his band musicians' contributions to that music, and it constitutes one minor weakness to me about that strong song material.

As to socalled mannerisms in Mick's singing, probably not only of ballads, I see that as genuine sincerity about his somewhat distancing him from lyrics that he no more feels the same way (or mixed emotions or expressing nuances or whatever), as an alternative to feigned sincerity if he should have sung them in the same manner as before.

When it then comes to attitudes among Stones fans, whatever they feel about Mick's solo albums, I guess many as well have hopes for Mick especially to contribute to make a new album emerge as different from its predecessors. So I assume that those less conservative fans about what a Rolling Stones album could sound like, would find it unwarranted that Mick onesidedly, mark that, should alone be singled out for such critical remarks in advance.

When you name "Sweet Neocon" as an example of solo Mick stuff pervading his Stones songs, I disagree. If you had taken "Streets of Love" as an example instead, I would have agreed more. The live version fron Rome showed that the comparative weakness of that song was not the song material as such, but that the band did not colour the released album version enough. "Sweet Neocon", however, I see as one other "less is more", that is somewhat minimalist, song that one finds many cases of round about the Stones career. Some very popular with a majority of fans, others only among shifting minorities. That minority is apparently very small for this song. Somehow I think that fact is due to the controversial lyrics for some listeners.

Edit: One correction.

Okay, fair enough.
The first part that I put in bold, I see differently, but I can see your point.

The second line I put in bold, I don't think you're right. At least for me the problem of "Sweet Neocon" is not that it's controversial, as far as I'm concerned, it's not controversial at all, rather stating the obvious. But first of all the music and the melody is terrible. And second of all, the lyrics, although I agree that neocons are "crocks of sh**", I find so overly simplistic and silly that the message just doesn't come through at all. And that's a pity. English is not my first language but even I think I am able to say something more clever than "you think you are a patriot. I think you are a ...". Come on... For me, Sweet Neocon reminds me of Let's Work.

Anyway, again, when the Stones are on fire and all of them are looking in the same direction, and Keith and Mick can agree and share, then Mick Jagger obviously is the best and only perfect singer for the Stones. Anyone would agree with that.

Date: December 20, 2015 21:59

GasLightStreet
STEEL WHEELS North American tour they played 3 songs in the early part of the tour and the latter part 5-6 songs from STEEL WHEELS.

There was nothing adventurous about that tour overall, it was very safe. They got a better for the VOODOO tours and BRIDGES tours.

Looks like a lot of people don't understand the deal behind people wishing if the Stones did something like CROSSEYED HEART: yes, not all the songs are GREAT but the point is it's the input, the thought, the feel, the vibe, the sound, the humanity, the existence of the music and of the album that if the Stones were to somehow do as well that it would be spectacular.

thumbs up Well said.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-20 21:59 by matxil.

Date: December 20, 2015 22:37

GasLightStreet

thumbs upthumbs up

Date: December 20, 2015 23:55

I would have wanted to quote only one sentence or two, but I cannot do it, writing on a smartphone today, and I'd rather abstain from a complete quote from the exchange of views above this time.

Well, matxil, the last sentence you marked in bold, I did not get quite right, I have to admit. It was meant to utter my supposition that it was the reduction from a minority to a very small minority that could be due to the lyrics.

Then you as many others regard the lyrics of "Sweet Neocon" as banal and clumsy. However, it may be somewhat less clumsy than you seem to hear or read it. As I have written several times, I have joined a way of reading the lyrics that was posted here by someone before I myself had secured a copy of A BIGGER BANG.

That reading does not make out all the lyrics to be the singer's address to the neocon. Instead, with the exception where he names the neocon in his address, other verses, according to this interpretation, are text and attitudes he allots to the neocon to express and address some others by. In between them, the singer then himself characterizes such attitudes in his explicit address to the neocon.

It is probable that you still will think that this does not take away what you may consider a remaining lack of elegance. All the same, such a reading creates a rather different impression than the usual reading that makes all words the singer's address aimed at the neocon.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: December 21, 2015 00:55

New Rolling Stones studio album due out in 2016.
hot smiley

Date: December 21, 2015 01:00

KRiffhard
DandelionPowderman

I really do.

I trust in your optimism and hope you're both right.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: December 21, 2015 01:15

GasLightStreet

thumbs down

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: December 21, 2015 01:20

Crosseyed Heart is gorgeous, but would never be an album stones, and rightly so. Do not confuse the solo careers with that of the group, the Stones are great because they are a mixture of Mick and Keith, maybe not in the idea of the song, but in the development of this.

Date: December 21, 2015 01:23

Testify
Crosseyed Heart is gorgeous, but would never be an album stones, and rightly so. Do not confuse the solo careers with that of the group, the Stones are great because they are a mixture of Mick and Keith, maybe not in the idea of the song, but in the development of this.

In your opinion, what was the last great Stones album?

Date: December 21, 2015 08:11

Testify

8/10 Mick's demos (solo songs) recorded at home + 2 Keith's solo songs + 2 weeks in studio. Two solo careers and a bit of Stones.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 21, 2015 08:43

I feel confident they will release a very good album. I believe they realize the importance of making a quality piece of music. Perhaps they got over the why bother phase, I recall a Mick interview some years ago where he was hesitant about making new records, almost like it was pointless. With this is mind I don't think they would move forward unless they had something good to offer.

Date: December 21, 2015 10:08

frankotero
I feel confident they will release a very good album. I believe they realize the importance of making a quality piece of music. Perhaps they got over the why bother phase, I recall a Mick interview some years ago where he was hesitant about making new records, almost like it was pointless. With this is mind I don't think they would move forward unless they had something good to offer.

[www.gigwise.com];

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: December 21, 2015 11:25

RipThisBone

Yeah, great news eh

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: December 21, 2015 12:17

Sweet Neo Con in its simplicity is great both musically and lyrically, I dont understand that so many people dont seem to like it. Maybe it´s the oriental flavor people dont like. It is one of the most outstanding tracks on AAB.

Someone asked for the "last great Stones album". There can be only one answer: DW.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: December 21, 2015 12:21

Rolling Hansie
RipThisBone

Yeah, great news eh

Hey, Hey, Hey! That's what I say!

Date: December 21, 2015 12:57

@Witness

Well, you made me do something which I never thought I would do: google up the lyrics of Sweet Neocon. But I regret to say that a) I don't agree with your reading and b) I still think the lyrics are terrible.
And c) I doubt it took him more than 5 minutes to write them.

Date: December 21, 2015 12:58

Testify

Yes, but that's actually exactly the point GasLightStreet was making.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 21, 2015 13:21

KRiffhard
Testify

8/10 Mick's demos (solo songs) recorded at home + 2 Keith's solo songs + 2 weeks in studio. Two solo careers and a bit of Stones.

Two weeks is hopefully only a germination period. Obviously they won't sit on a new album for two years like CH but I have no problem waiting especially if studio reports are positive.

Date: December 21, 2015 14:21

Don't forget that a song like Back Of My Hand was a Mick song as well. He's got a lot of nice stuff in him to make a back to roots album, preferably with Keith.

Date: December 21, 2015 14:30

matxil
@Witness

Well, you made me do something which I never thought I would do: google up the lyrics of Sweet Neocon. But I regret to say that a) I don't agree with your reading and b) I still think the lyrics are terrible.
And c) I doubt it took him more than 5 minutes to write them.

(With possible inexactitudes as my smartphone supply me with only one window at a time.)

So when after a refrain " How come you're so wrong .... ", the lyrics continues with

"It's getting very scary
Yes, I am frightened out of my wits
There's bombers in my bedroom
Yeah and it's giving me the shits"

you think it is Mick singing about his own fright?

And when the next verse goes on

"We must have loads more bases
To protect us from our foes
Who needs these foolish friendships
We're going it alone"

would that be Mick's own view and not one he allots to the neocon?

And really, if that last verse was to express Mick's own outlook, why, why on earth then, should he there repeat the question, if the preceding verse (s) reveals his own point of view

"How come you're so wrong
My sweet neo con"

Edit : One misprint corrected

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-21 14:35 by Witness.

Date: December 21, 2015 14:48

«We're going in alone»

Would that be Mick's own view and not one he allots to the neocon?

A satirical look at how he perceives the neocon's view on the matter.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3233343536373839404142...LastNext
Current Page: 37 of 147

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1984
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home