Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3435363738394041424344...LastNext
Current Page: 39 of 147
Re: New Rolling Stones studio album due out in 2016
Posted by: Lien ()
Date: December 23, 2015 09:44

Rockman
Any hope the album will have a beautiful cover?

For sure if they cover something like Robert Johnson's - When You Got A Good Friend

That would be great,they can do it smiling smiley ;

[youtu.be]

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 23, 2015 10:19

Hairball
bitusa2012
1963luca0

Another Chuck Berry tune??spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

That might actually be a step in the right direction - start from scratch back to the basics. thumbs up

Chuck Berry covers? I for one hope not. That would for me be backward-looking for the Rolling Stones to do.

What might be forward-looking, but at the same time working according to what for the Stones, since their releases from 1968 onwards, would be basic for them, could in my understanding be something else. That is for a couple of songs to approach some forms of ethnic musics that they have not entered before. Either cover some song or, better, recreate that ethnic music form within a Rolling Stones musical universe through songs of their own. Only for instance as an illustration, as far as I can see, I think the Stones never have created (or covered) cajun / zydego music.

However, most of all I don't want to demand them too specifically what to do.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 23, 2015 10:20

.......Still love ta hear Jagger take on Kenny Ballad's - Down Ta My Last Heartache

ROCKMAN

Date: December 23, 2015 10:32

Witness
DandelionPowderman
«We're going in alone»

Would that be Mick's own view and not one he allots to the neocon?

A satirical look at how he perceives the neocon's view on the matter.

The important sentence is your third.

A minor matter is that the devil often is to be found in the details. To be certain, I once more looked at the site that I used for the lyrics, then at another site and even on the sleeve of my vinyl recording. Apparently, the line is, by virtue of written sources, to be

"We're going it alone"

smoking smiley However, you are one of a very few who could be able to reveal that your version of the line is what is actually sung. I don't deny the possibillity that may be true!

Since he is indeed singing «in» (as in americans always dealing with a problem, no matter who supports them - hence invading without support), it is «in».

EDIT: «Going at it» or «Doing it» would have made more sense, imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-23 11:20 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: December 23, 2015 11:01

You can say "going it alone" or "going in alone", either way they mean the same thing.

Date: December 23, 2015 11:21

Thanks, Turner. I didn't know that. But is Mick indeed singing a very soft «t» there, like Witness says. I'm still hearing «going in»..

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: December 23, 2015 11:22

IF they should cover a song, it should be "Entitlement" by Jack White.... or a duet with him...IF...

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-23 11:24 by Harm.

Date: December 23, 2015 11:35

The problem with writing on a smartphone and clumsily at that prevented me from discovering thst the question had been given a answer.

DandelionPowderman
Witness
DandelionPowderman
«We're going in alone»

Would that be Mick's own view and not one he allots to the neocon?

A satirical look at how he perceives the neocon's view on the matter.
O
The important sentence is your third.

A minor matter is that the devil often is to be found in the details. To be certain, I once more looked at the site that I used for the lyrics, then at another site and even on the sleeve of my vinyl recording. Apparently, the line is, by virtue of written sources, to be

"We're going it alone"

smoking smiley However, you are one of a very few who could be able to reveal that your version of the line is what is actually sung. I don't deny the possibillity that may be true!

Since he is indeed singing «in» (as in americans always dealing with a problem, no matter who supports them - hence invading without support), it is «in».

«We're going it alone» is not correct english, so I think we can rule that out.

«Going at it» or «Doing it» would have made more sense, imo.

I think what is actually sung is the decisive proof and that only.

Languages in practical use do not always conform with what is strictly correct. During time, uses that once were considered not correct, may be accepted gradually and become approved parts of the language. In other words, languages and even correct use of the languages, are in development.

A perspective like the mentionned would be relevant for English as well. Stones lyrics arguably are not always in accordance with correct English ( or the correct American that US citizens may command, Canadians may disagree).

As to what is actually sung here, I reserved myself towards that kind of objection. It is not always possible to distinguish clearly what is sung in a Stones song though. I don't know yet how that is in this case. And I know I am not the best to judge. (In the distant past when I had no written lyrics, I heard a line of one familiar song as "Who could hang an aim on you" instead of "Who could hang a name on you" that I later was to learn by reading.)

Edits: An introduction added.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-23 11:51 by Witness.

Date: December 23, 2015 11:45

I listened now. Three out of five times, I seemed to hear "in". Two times, less certain, maybe "it".

(And now I liked the music better, but then I have always liked it to some extent.)

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: December 23, 2015 11:46

Are the Stones still with Universal?

I hope so because they seem to work with the band rather than just being a means of issuing the same old material.

Let's hope someone there doesn't allow yet another poor studio album to be released.

I'm tired of rip-off ticket prices (not that I went to the concerts) and substandard new material.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 23, 2015 11:49

...who is the producer?! It's a mistery!

Date: December 23, 2015 11:53

Witness
I listened now. Three out of five times, I seemed to hear "in". Two times, less certain, maybe "it".

(And now I liked the music better, but then I have always liked it to some extent.)

grinning smiley I must admit it's hard to tell. Sounds like «in», but it's not 100 percent clear...

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: December 23, 2015 12:07

I always hear "in" no matter what the booklet says.
It means "invasion without help from allies".

Very good song, very good lyrics, very good music, no milestone in the Stones´ entire career but a highlight on ABB. (ABB = best album since DW, without 4 or 5 absolute terrible songs like Streets Of Love, Infamy, Biggest Mistake, Let Me Down Slow it could have been even better than DW. Maybe.)

Date: December 23, 2015 12:08

DandelionPowderman
Witness

grinning smiley I must admit it's hard to tell. Sounds like «in», but it's not 100 percent clear...

I listened to Sweet NeoCon for the first time since it came out.. My god what an awful song, I plan on never listening to it again (and not at all because of the politics, which I agree with. it's just bad music, the song isn't even half-finished)

"going it alone" is what i heard, but when i listened closer, it's very unclear. Either way the meaning of the song is the same?

Date: December 23, 2015 12:12

Turner68
DandelionPowderman
Witness

I listened to Sweet NeoCon for the first time since it came out.. My god what an awful song, I plan on never listening to it again (and not at all because of the politics, which I agree with. it's just bad music, the song isn't even half-finished)

"going it alone" is what i heard, but when i listened closer, it's very unclear. Either way the meaning of the song is the same?

That was my point. I ALWAYS listen closely to Stones songs, good and bad ones, and after a few spins «in» is what I hear.

But this isn't really important, though, he he grinning smiley

Date: December 23, 2015 12:18

Right, the only thing important is that Sweet Neo Con is a very good Stones-song, no matter who wrote it and no matter what MJ is singing actualy. The guitars and drums are marvelous, it is not "half-finished" - this is the art of simplicity. Truly great latter-day-Stones-song.

Date: December 23, 2015 12:21

HMS
Right, the only thing important is that Sweet Neo Con is a very good Stones-song, no matter who wrote it and no matter what MJ is singing actualy. The guitars and drums are marvelous, it is not "half-finished" - this is the art of simplicity. Truly great latter-day-Stones-song.

"start me up" shows the art of simplicity. so do "prodigal son" and "you gotta move". "sweet neocon" is very wealthy, very successful rock stars not bothering to break a sweat.

Date: December 23, 2015 12:27

It´s the Stone taking risks, they dont care if the lyrics are unpopular with a lot of people, and they take risks musically with that very Stones-unusally oriental flavor. It´s a brave statement both musically and politically. And it´s damn good.

Date: December 23, 2015 12:42

HMS
I always hear "in" no matter what the booklet says.
It means "invasion without help from allies".

Very good song, very good lyrics, very good music, no milestone in the Stones´ entire career but a highlight on ABB. (ABB = best album since DW, without 4 or 5 absolute terrible songs like Streets Of Love, Infamy, Biggest Mistake, Let Me Down Slow it could have been even better than DW. Maybe.)

If you take away "Biggest Mistake" and "Let Me Down Slow", I would be without two of the four best songs in my estimation of this album. If DIRTY WORK as almost always is your measuring stick, it may possibly be logical. However, the nearest comparison to me is BRIDGES TO BABYLON. I prefer that album's daring. Maybe the end result became to me slightly better though with A BIGGER BANG's safer approach. But not without the two songs you would have wanted to throw away.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 23, 2015 15:24

Turner68
I'd love for a few chuck Berry covers. I've always wanted them to do "No Particular Place to Go"

I'd love it if they'd do "Nadine"

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 23, 2015 15:40

matxil
Turner68
I'd love for a few chuck Berry covers. I've always wanted them to do "No Particular Place to Go"

I'd love it if they'd do "Nadine"

Or Sweet Little 16.
jeroen

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 23, 2015 16:16

Witness
Hairball
bitusa2012
1963luca0

That might actually be a step in the right direction - start from scratch back to the basics. thumbs up

Chuck Berry covers? I for one hope not. That would for me be backward-looking for the Rolling Stones to do.

What might be forward-looking, but at the same time working according to what for the Stones, since their releases from 1968 onwards, would be basic for them, could in my understanding be something else. That is for a couple of songs to approach some forms of ethnic musics that they have not entered before. Either cover some song or, better, recreate that ethnic music form within a Rolling Stones musical universe through songs of their own. Only for instance as an illustration, as far as I can see, I think the Stones never have created (or covered) cajun / zydego music.

Oh no. No way. There's not one good reason for them to cover zydeco, especially the middle of the road zydeco. That would be awful.

Date: December 23, 2015 16:32

Never heard of "Zydeco".

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 23, 2015 16:56

HMS
Never heard of "Zydeco".

That says even more than what's been pointed out recently in some other threads.

Aside from your inability to understand and hear how pathetic Sweet Neo Con is, here is a track by Zachary Richard, considered one of the best in the zydeco music scene across the world:

Love My Zydeco
[www.youtube.com]

Date: December 23, 2015 17:27

I can see it now, Mick on stage with an accordion strapped on. He would be a little top-heavy at that point though, wouldn't be good for the balance...

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: December 23, 2015 18:57

Chuck Berry 's my ding a ling , could fit

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 23, 2015 19:05

smoking smiley Clifton "The King of Zydeco" Chenier - Zydeco Two Step

Yesterday on my local radio station, Start Me Up and then Keith's Trouble were played back to back during 'Two for Tuesday' broadcast.

If the Stones could combine the best elements of these two tunes together, they might end up with a winner! thumbs up

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 23, 2015 19:09

Nate, Stargroover...someone give us some news about these recording sessions!
All is quiet...top secret! smiling bouncing smiley

Date: December 23, 2015 19:30

GasLightStreet
Witness
Hairball
bitusa2012
1963luca0

Oh no. No way. There's not one good reason for them to cover zydeco, especially the middle of the road zydeco. That would be awful.

Does it have to be middle of the road zydeco then (unfortunately, in my post I hit the "g" on my phone)?

I must admit that I have no deep knowledge of this kind of music, myself I have shamefully got only one album with Clifton Chenier, but I did like it when it sometimes was presented as theme in a program of Swedish radio on blues music that I used to listen to some decades ago. (Swedes old enough may remember the bloke, who presented it, Staffan Solding, if I have got his name right). The old distinction that was in operation in earlier days, was that Cajun was more "white" and Zydeco was more "black" music. I would have thought that efforts by the Stones into this field and possible sub species could have been interesting. And reincarnated into Rolling Stones music.

By the way, it was only meant as one possible "field" among other kinds of ethnic music categories that I would have loved the Stones to exercise their old way of fetching impulses from to give rise to new Rolling Stones in their golden ways of old.

Edits: Correction of a sentence that I made a mess of.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-23 20:01 by Witness.

Date: December 23, 2015 19:43

a Swedish blues program

I, for one, would be just as interested in the Stones playing Swedish blues as Zydeco!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3435363738394041424344...LastNext
Current Page: 39 of 147

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1626
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home