Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...137138139140141142143144145146147Next
Current Page: 144 of 147
Re: New Rolling Stones studio album due out in 2016
Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: October 5, 2016 05:58

GasLightStreet
IanBillen
GasLightStreet
IanBillen
Socrates1
I'm really excited about the blues album. It's amazing the way they recorded it, with everyone circled around one microphone...that's what I wanted to read. Crosseyed Heart is not computerized music. The acoustic guitar is the most important. I can't wait to hear the new one. Probably Charlie naming it is the best idea.

Well.. coming from an audio engineering background I know that you have misunderstood. Everyone was not circled around one (<a single) microphone.

They were sitting in a circle using separate microphones. Since they were so close, there was 'leakage' .. One instrument intended for one microphone or set of microphones (Charlies Drums) bleeds in to the microphone intended for another (Micks vocal Mic).

Still a cool concept for this record and it is certainly 'not the norm' as far as recording songs as far as any sort rock act goes ..in a multi-million dollar, multi-track recording studio situation (a not so 'standard' recording assembly for them as their usual stuff / set-up requires.. BUT ..with that said... Jazz and blues recordings can allow this type of thing at times)

Ian

The Stones have been recording in the same room and have had leakage on just about every LP their entire recording career (not every song, of course).

Drive-By Truckers do the same thing. Other rock bands do the same thing. It still happens. Some are careful about isolation. Leakage is cool.

I'm not going to go into something in defending what I said when it's what I do and have been doing for years lol. I've recorded hundreds of rock bands .. 19 times out of 20 the vocals are overdubbed later. The bass and drums are kept and the guitars are kept sometimes.. sometimes the entire guitar tracks is overdubbed or added to later as a comp track. All I said is it was not 'standard'. To have them all sit in the circle and play things together keeping even the leakage for a 'rock act' and keep all the individual tracks (with no fixing before the mixdown) is not only unusual.. it's pretty rare.

These guys sat in a cirlcle.. jammed out some blues and didn't overdub (or fix) anything by the way it read .. (<very unusual).

Leakage is generally not desired .. (unless it is Jazz or perhaps a blues styled thing such as this). Leakage occurs at times but especially when it is <heard> it is not a good thing and is not kept.... in 95% of the recordings and can relate to phase issues (generally not optimal when it comes to getting a quality recording .. that would bleed over into getting a good master or not). For every 20 bands I've recorded .. (in about 100 different places from an SSL Board to a ProTools Rig in someones bedroom) only one would have such a situation where we kept the entire take with them playing live in the studio.

The Stones 'supposedly' sat in a circle.. jammed and kept everything (with no overdubs.. and no fixes). Not the standard in their relative positioning or in how they kept / used all the material with no overdubs and not even a minor fix to anything (not to mention keeping the leakage that occurred).

Whole thing is not only unusual .. it's pretty rare .. which ...>> is the very reason Don Was mentioned how it was done (<Cue). I'm not saying it didn't happen or that it never happened before .. I'm simply saying how they did this record is definitely pretty 'non-standard'.

Trust me on this one..

Ian

I know. I know exactly what you're talking about. My point was just that the Stones are usually in the same room and leakage hasn't ever been an issue. I get that the blues album was done a differently according to Don Was in terms of their whereabouts.

I've done full band live tracking with no overdubbing and full band live tracking with overdubbing (usually a or some guitar track(s) including a solo sometimes, backing vocals and a piano or organ). I've done with just a guitar and drums. A lot of times the vocals are just scratch. But there are also live vocals that are kept and used.

It just depends on who it is and what the goal is.

With the Stones it doesn't seem like live vocals ever make the final vocal. Just the leakage!

I gotcha.. It's all good my friend. Listen .. a snippet of the results (whatever the process) are in .. and damn.. it sounds good.

Ian

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: October 5, 2016 06:36

You know what they say man, it's all good. I remembered the point I was getting to. We know Crosseyed Heart was recorded on tape. Was ABB an all digital recording? Do you guys know? Of course someone around here must know.

They actually stopped manufacturing pro studio tape (whatever they use) in 2003. By 2005 everybody had gone digital. I'm sure the Stones could have gotten tape if they had wanted to record with it back in 2005. They're the Stones. They can get whatever they want. But did they bother? ABB sounds so digitized to me.

Date: October 5, 2016 06:44

Me likey the ten seconds of blues. Is it Thursday yet?

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: October 5, 2016 06:59

Some projects still opt for magnetic tape of various widths from 1/4" to 2"
and it's available, so are the machines and studios who do this;
here's an interesting take from a tape manufacturer/supplier,

"nothing sounds like tape"
[atrtape.com]

Date: October 5, 2016 07:05

Yeah, they started making the tape again. Whatever the tape is -- that Keith Richards, Bob Dylan and Neil Young use -- it costs $500 a box now. You get a reel and a spool of tape in the box for 5 Bills. They actually stopped manufacturing this specific studio tape in 2003. It's manufactured again now but it costs a fortune. They stopped making it for maybe a few years, maybe longer than that?

ABB suffered because it was recorded in the new war-era digital age. That's my theory. Gathering around a microphone(s) makes sense about now. The gathering is important and so is the idea of the microphone being singular. I think that looks right now.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-05 07:23 by Socrates1.

Date: October 5, 2016 09:12

Socrates1
You know what they say man, it's all good. I remembered the point I was getting to. We know Crosseyed Heart was recorded on tape. Was ABB an all digital recording? Do you guys know? Of course someone around here must know.

They actually stopped manufacturing pro studio tape (whatever they use) in 2003. By 2005 everybody had gone digital. I'm sure the Stones could have gotten tape if they had wanted to record with it back in 2005. They're the Stones. They can get whatever they want. But did they bother? ABB sounds so digitized to me.

ABB was digital.

They are still manufacturing pro studio tape smiling smiley

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: October 6, 2016 00:35

Maindefender
shadooby
Maindefender
Will a DVD accompany the release?? thumbs up

Why of course! After you buy the new album you'll have to buy the deluxe edition that will come out a month or two later to get the bonus dvd at 3x the price...ain't life grand?!!!

thumbs downthumbs down

It doesn't quite work like that, unless you're talking about deluxe editions that are released 30 years afterwards

...whippersnappers.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: October 6, 2016 01:09

Interesting...

[www.videomuzic.eu]

Date: October 6, 2016 06:10

DandelionPowderman
Socrates1

ABB was digital.

I know, Mr. Dandelion. I already said it costs $500 for a reel of pro tape today. I said that before I said they had stopped manufacturing it. If that makes any sense... read it twice. Meaning -- they stopped manufacturing pro tape for a while, then started making it again at some point. When they stopped manufacturing pro tape in 2003 it wasn't $500 a box. And it still wasn't abnormal to record with tape in the early 2000s either. Pros recording to tape wasn't yet a dying art form way back then.

It makes sense on so many levels that ABB was recorded digitally. It's why ABB does't make sense, actually. Thanks for confirming my hunch, DP Man. ABB is a Stones anomaly from the mid 2000s: released smack-dab in the middle of a decade where lots of people weren't making totally great music. So yeah, I was glad to read what Don Was said about microphones and everything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-06 06:22 by Socrates1.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: October 6, 2016 11:01

Ross
Interesting...

[www.videomuzic.eu]

Nice!

Don reckons it’s the best thing he has ever done with the Stones.
(...)
Keith Richards has said the sessions were among the most productive in the band’s history and hinted that the results “might be a surprise to people.”
(...)
The Sun‘s sources also say the Stones so enjoyed getting back to work that they’re already making plans for their next album — which they intend to start recording right away: “They have decided to go back in the studio later this month because they are enjoying it so much.”

Sounds awesome. But, they talk like this every time there's a new album in the making. And then it turns out it wasn't so good, after all, and the band members don't get along that well ... But I'm still glad to read this!

Date: October 6, 2016 12:08

Socrates1
DandelionPowderman
Socrates1

ABB was digital.

I know, Mr. Dandelion. I already said it costs $500 for a reel of pro tape today. I said that before I said they had stopped manufacturing it. If that makes any sense... read it twice. Meaning -- they stopped manufacturing pro tape for a while, then started making it again at some point. When they stopped manufacturing pro tape in 2003 it wasn't $500 a box. And it still wasn't abnormal to record with tape in the early 2000s either. Pros recording to tape wasn't yet a dying art form way back then.

It makes sense on so many levels that ABB was recorded digitally. It's why ABB does't make sense, actually. Thanks for confirming my hunch, DP Man. ABB is a Stones anomaly from the mid 2000s: released smack-dab in the middle of a decade where lots of people weren't making totally great music. So yeah, I was glad to read what Don Was said about microphones and everything.

Why?

The story behind the ABB recordings is that they wanted to try the Pro Tool-approach, and decided to record at Mick's place in France. Mick wanted to doctor it more in a «real», but Keith thought it sounded raw and good.

This time, I agree with Mick. They should have polished it a bit more. First and foremost because of how the songs were. Had it been a more rootsy album, the raw approach could have worked better.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: October 6, 2016 12:13

Apparently we're going to have a double LP
Question: word is that they got 11 blues in 3 days (am I wrong?) so I wonder why a double LP.

only three sides?
more material?
long takes?

i know, in three hours all questions will be answered smiling smiley
just speculating

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 6, 2016 12:16

Double LP?

Apparently that was the original plan, one side : new material, second side : blues songs. But that got shelved, either because the new material wasn't ready or because the "market" wasn't ready for that type of "product". So it's Blues LP now and New LP sometime in 2017...

For the fans it's probably best to get them spaced out in time ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Adams ()
Date: October 6, 2016 12:16

maumau
Apparently we're going to have a double LP
Question: word is that they got 11 blues in 3 days (am I wrong?) so I wonder why a double LP.

only three sides?
more material?
long takes?

i know, in three hours all questions will be answered smiling smiley
just speculating

hard to tell
Bob Dylan's Together Through Life is around 45 mins long and was released on 2LP's. Casual 12 inch.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: October 6, 2016 12:19

gotdablouse
Double LP?

Apparently that was the original plan, one side : new material, second side : blues songs. But that got shelved, either because the new material wasn't ready or because the "market" wasn't ready for that type of "product". So it's Blues LP now and New LP sometime in 2017...

For the fans it's probably best to get them spaced out in time ;-)

No I am referring to the link to the product someone posted here from bol.com (which later has disappeared from the website) which listed a double LP.

Yes I see Adams, I think you might be right

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 6, 2016 19:32

DandelionPowderman
Socrates1
DandelionPowderman
Socrates1

ABB was digital.

Why?

The story behind the ABB recordings is that they wanted to try the Pro Tool-approach, and decided to record at Mick's place in France. Mick wanted to doctor it more in a «real», but Keith thought it sounded raw and good.

This time, I agree with Mick. They should have polished it a bit more. First and foremost because of how the songs were. Had it been a more rootsy album, the raw approach could have worked better.

Perhaps but if the mastering was done better - at all yet alone correctly - then how they recorded it wouldn't be such a big deal. Good sounding albums have been done on Pro Tools and mastered properly.

STEEL WHEELS was all digital. To my knowledge the only other digital album the Stones have done is A BIGGER BANG. The rest involve tape to some degree.

The Cult and the Drive-By Truckers used 2 inch analog (DBT uses 16 track) for their newest albums.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: October 6, 2016 20:26

LieB

Don reckons it’s the best thing he has ever done with the Stones.
(...)
Keith Richards has said the sessions were among the most productive in the band’s history and hinted that the results “might be a surprise to people.”
(...)
The Sun‘s sources also say the Stones so enjoyed getting back to work that they’re already making plans for their next album — which they intend to start recording right away: “They have decided to go back in the studio later this month because they are enjoying it so much.”]

Amazing stuff to read! And if the recorded music may be favourably received, first once and maybe the second time as well, then ....... .........................................hot smiley!

Posted by: howlingmad ()
Date: October 6, 2016 20:31

maumau
No I am referring to the link to the product someone posted here from bol.com (which later has disappeared from the website) which listed a double LP.

The vinyl version will be a double LP, but will contain the same number of songs as the regular release.

Posted by: ebalm ()
Date: October 6, 2016 21:31

Article in local NY paper by a complete a-hole. Perhaps judge the album once it's released.

[www.nydailynews.com]

Not sure how one can knock the fact that it was recorded in 3 days (not 2 like the article says) and knock the fact there were no overdubs. Perhaps he should go back and listen to Superheavy.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: October 6, 2016 21:43

I think you are exactly right!!!
wonderboy
Here's how the album was probably made.
Mick and Keith sat down, looked at each other and said, 'Whatdoyagot?
Keith said he had a slow ballad, two songs that didn't make it on his solo album and three riffs.
Mick said he has 17 demos.
Mick thought to himself, 'He's got nothing and wants me to pull lyrics out of the air.'
Keith thought to himself, 'He's got a bunch of dance mixes and wants me to turn them into a Rolling Stones record.'
So they looked at each other a while and said, 'Let's just warm up with some blues.'
Six weeks later they turned to the producer and said, 'There you go. Later.'

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: October 6, 2016 21:58

I almost bet there will be another blues album, if this one does well. Why bother writing new songs when people love them doing old blues classics? Seriously they should start a series of Blues-albums. Or an album full of Soul-classics, that would be great too. No more forced attempts being trendy or still being the "Brown-Sugar" and "Start Me Up"-guys.

Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: October 6, 2016 22:02

We'll see with the whole album, but a first listen o "Just your fool" on my computer: "Ca casse quand même pas 3 pattes à un canard".

Posted by: henrik87 ()
Date: October 6, 2016 22:21

We should keep this topic for the new album of originals in 2017.
Let's talk about Blue and Lonesome in the sticky thread.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: October 7, 2016 03:50

HMS
I almost bet there will be another blues album, if this one does well. Why bother writing new songs when people love them doing old blues classics? Seriously they should start a series of Blues-albums. Or an album full of Soul-classics, that would be great too. No more forced attempts being trendy or still being the "Brown-Sugar" and "Start Me Up"-guys.

However, it is not about what you or I or any other poster may think reasonable for them to do, but what they may feel as inspiring.

[Myself I would love them to follow both approaches. That is, both come up with further covers and deliver more songs of their own. Let one inspire the other. Thankfully, I want to receive whatever new studio material they would like to deliver. These are not the "Brown Sugar"- guys, that is correct. But, importantly, these are the EMOTIONAL RESCUE -guys (although without Bill Wyman).]

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 7, 2016 04:32

Pre-order the standard cd from www.rollingstones.com and it comes with a few free downloads including todays release.

"Blue & Lonesome Standard CD.

Purchase now and receive an instant download of the single Just A Fool For You.

You will also receive an instant download of Hate To See You Go on 10/21 and Ride 'Em All Down on 11/25*

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 7, 2016 05:10

ebalm
Article in local NY paper by a complete a-hole. Perhaps judge the album once it's released.

[www.nydailynews.com]

Not sure how one can knock the fact that it was recorded in 3 days (not 2 like the article says) and knock the fact there were no overdubs. Perhaps he should go back and listen to Superheavy.

there is an e mail address to his editor with article..peeps should send their opinion to hi,..

Date: October 7, 2016 07:38

OK, so one thing I am confused about - are the Stones still planning on putting out a new album of original material?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 7, 2016 07:41

are the Stones still planning on putting out a new album of original material?

........ I friggin' hope so Palace ....

ROCKMAN

Date: October 7, 2016 08:44

Palace Revolution 2000
OK, so one thing I am confused about - are the Stones still planning on putting out a new album of original material?

Next year, they said.

Posted by: howlingmad ()
Date: October 7, 2016 09:11

ebalm

Yeah even though he's trying to spin it as laziness on the band's part, it's still laughable that he would single out that aspect of the recording. That's like someone criticizing a filmmaker for choosing to employ practical effects over a cgi-heavy approach. For this kind of album, quick and dirty is exactly what most people would prefer.

Here's another site that asked some of its writers their opinion on the news. They're cautiously optimistic but each one admits that a short recording schedule is exactly what you would want from this kind of project.

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...137138139140141142143144145146147Next
Current Page: 144 of 147

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1509
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home