Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...137138139140141142143144145146147Next
Current Page: 145 of 147
Re: New Rolling Stones studio album due out in 2016
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 7, 2016 17:27

The Stones have enough leftover material from VOODOO alone to flush out the supposed new 2017 LP.

Perhaps if they, oh, spent some time writing and working together they'd have some more ideas.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: October 7, 2016 17:36

In a paradoxical way Don Was' account of how they "hit the wall" in studio working on a song makes me happy and hopeful. Just because it proves that something on the creative level can still happen in the studio with the Stones. and I give credit to them all to have stopped and restart from scratch with the blues.

in the tracklist chosen you can easely see both keith's and mick's input. and what happened in the "three days" is exactly what I think bodes well for a future record, eventually: they worked in the studio from A to Z on 12 songs.

Of course they're covers and that makes it different and easier, but I think it is a good rehab for them smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-07 17:37 by maumau.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: October 7, 2016 18:05

GasLightStreet
The Stones have enough leftover material from VOODOO alone to flush out the supposed new 2017 LP.

Perhaps if they, oh, spent some time writing and working together they'd have some more ideas.

The "leftovers" from VL mostly aren´t worth a dime. Only Honest Man has potential enough to show up on a new album. Would mean real hard hard work to turn the almost unbearable VL-sketches into songs, so it would be better (and easier) to start all over again.

Spending time together writing and working on songs is the main problem, they do not want to spend time together, they broke up personally such a long time ago.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 7, 2016 18:07

HMS
GasLightStreet

The "leftovers" from VL mostly aren´t worth a dime. Only Honest Man has potential enough to show up on a new album. Would mean real hard hard work to turn the almost unbearable VL-sketches into songs, so it would be better (and easier) to start all over again.

Spending time together writing and working on songs is the main problem, they do not want to spend time together, they broke up personally such a long time ago.

You got it made, Cocaine Blues, Zip Mouth Angel and Randy Whore.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-07 18:09 by KRiffhard.

Date: October 7, 2016 18:41

They've probably done that a FEW times, this is the first we've heard of it in that context.

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: October 7, 2016 21:06

DandelionPowderman
Socrates1
DandelionPowderman
Socrates1
You know what they say man, it's all good. I remembered the point I was getting to. We know Crosseyed Heart was recorded on tape. Was ABB an all digital recording? Do you guys know? Of course someone around here must know.

They actually stopped manufacturing pro studio tape (whatever they use) in 2003. By 2005 everybody had gone digital. I'm sure the Stones could have gotten tape if they had wanted to record with it back in 2005. They're the Stones. They can get whatever they want. But did they bother? ABB sounds so digitized to me.

ABB was digital.

They are still manufacturing pro studio tape smiling smiley

I know, Mr. Dandelion. I already said it costs $500 for a reel of pro tape today. I said that before I said they had stopped manufacturing it. If that makes any sense... read it twice. Meaning -- they stopped manufacturing pro tape for a while, then started making it again at some point. When they stopped manufacturing pro tape in 2003 it wasn't $500 a box. And it still wasn't abnormal to record with tape in the early 2000s either. Pros recording to tape wasn't yet a dying art form way back then.

It makes sense on so many levels that ABB was recorded digitally. It's why ABB does't make sense, actually. Thanks for confirming my hunch, DP Man. ABB is a Stones anomaly from the mid 2000s: released smack-dab in the middle of a decade where lots of people weren't making totally great music. So yeah, I was glad to read what Don Was said about microphones and everything.

Why?

The story behind the ABB recordings is that they wanted to try the Pro Tool-approach, and decided to record at Mick's place in France. Mick wanted to doctor it more in a «real», but Keith thought it sounded raw and good.

This time, I agree with Mick. They should have polished it a bit more. First and foremost because of how the songs were. Had it been a more rootsy album, the raw approach could have worked better.

Is it a coincidence that ABB was recorded digitally, and it's kind of a sucky Stones album? I dare say that it's not a coincidence. They've recorded to tape their whole lives. Most of the great Stones songs we love were recorded to tape. Then they do this whole digital album (ABcool smiley and it leaves a lot to be desired...

Weird Edit: if you put "ABB" in parenthesis it looks like this: (ABcool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-07 21:13 by Socrates1.

Date: October 7, 2016 21:16

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
Socrates1
DandelionPowderman
Socrates1
You know what they say man, it's all good. I remembered the point I was getting to. We know Crosseyed Heart was recorded on tape. Was ABB an all digital recording? Do you guys know? Of course someone around here must know.

They actually stopped manufacturing pro studio tape (whatever they use) in 2003. By 2005 everybody had gone digital. I'm sure the Stones could have gotten tape if they had wanted to record with it back in 2005. They're the Stones. They can get whatever they want. But did they bother? ABB sounds so digitized to me.

ABB was digital.

They are still manufacturing pro studio tape smiling smiley

I know, Mr. Dandelion. I already said it costs $500 for a reel of pro tape today. I said that before I said they had stopped manufacturing it. If that makes any sense... read it twice. Meaning -- they stopped manufacturing pro tape for a while, then started making it again at some point. When they stopped manufacturing pro tape in 2003 it wasn't $500 a box. And it still wasn't abnormal to record with tape in the early 2000s either. Pros recording to tape wasn't yet a dying art form way back then.

It makes sense on so many levels that ABB was recorded digitally. It's why ABB does't make sense, actually. Thanks for confirming my hunch, DP Man. ABB is a Stones anomaly from the mid 2000s: released smack-dab in the middle of a decade where lots of people weren't making totally great music. So yeah, I was glad to read what Don Was said about microphones and everything.

Why?

The story behind the ABB recordings is that they wanted to try the Pro Tool-approach, and decided to record at Mick's place in France. Mick wanted to doctor it more in a «real», but Keith thought it sounded raw and good.

This time, I agree with Mick. They should have polished it a bit more. First and foremost because of how the songs were. Had it been a more rootsy album, the raw approach could have worked better.

Perhaps but if the mastering was done better - at all yet alone correctly - then how they recorded it wouldn't be such a big deal. Good sounding albums have been done on Pro Tools and mastered properly.

STEEL WHEELS was all digital. To my knowledge the only other digital album the Stones have done is A BIGGER BANG. The rest involve tape to some degree.

The Cult and the Drive-By Truckers used 2 inch analog (DBT uses 16 track) for their newest albums.

I'm not sold on the "mastering" argument. Don't mention the Hoffman forums to me. drinking smiley

Date: October 7, 2016 21:18

GasLightStreet
STEEL WHEELS was all digital. To my knowledge the only other digital album the Stones have done is A BIGGER BANG.

I rest my case.

Date: October 7, 2016 21:30

Don´t blame digital recording for Steel Wheels being a lame album. It´s the songs, not the recording technique. ABB was recorded digitally but is very enjoyable, imo. GHS was recorded analog and bores the hell out of me.

And as for the Stones, do you think they really care if a tape is rolling or if it´s a harddrive capturing the music? What´s the difference in the end anyway? Nobody will notice any difference, if the product is well produced and mastered.

Date: October 8, 2016 19:16

Socrates1
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
Socrates1
DandelionPowderman
Socrates1

ABB was digital.

Why?

Perhaps but if the mastering was done better - at all yet alone correctly - then how they recorded it wouldn't be such a big deal. Good sounding albums have been done on Pro Tools and mastered properly.

STEEL WHEELS was all digital. To my knowledge the only other digital album the Stones have done is A BIGGER BANG. The rest involve tape to some degree.

I'm not sold on the "mastering" argument. Don't mention the Hoffman forums to me.

Then you're choosing to ignore the truth: the mastering ruined the album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-08 19:17 by GasLightStreet.

Date: October 8, 2016 19:18

Socrates1
GasLightStreet
STEEL WHEELS was all digital. To my knowledge the only other digital album the Stones have done is A BIGGER BANG.

I rest my case.

What case? Are you saying STEEL WHEELS sucks because it's a digital recording? Compared to A BIGGER BANG it's not as good of an album but at least it sounds better.

Date: October 8, 2016 19:21

HMS
Don´t blame digital recording for Steel Wheels being a lame album. It´s the songs, not the recording technique. ABB was recorded digitally but is very enjoyable, imo. GHS was recorded analog and bores the hell out of me.

When you say A BIGGER BANG is "very enjoyable" do you mean... as an album or sonically?

No one would sane ever accuse A BIGGER BANG as sounding "enjoyable" when it comes to how it sounds.

You think a great album is boring yet you love the worst album they've ever done - and they used 244 reels of tape to make that pathetic piece of shit excuse of an album.

Date: October 8, 2016 21:43

GasLightStreet
HMS

When you say A BIGGER BANG is "very enjoyable" do you mean... as an album or sonically?

No one would sane ever accuse A BIGGER BANG as sounding "enjoyable" when it comes to how it sounds.

You think a great album is boring yet you love the worst album they've ever done - and they used 244 reels of tape to make that pathetic piece of shit excuse of an album.

ABB is very enjoyable musically. It´s not perfect (=too many songs) but still their best since DW. Sonically some of the songs are disappointing, Rough Justice, Oh No Not You Again for instance are way too compressed. A few others sound pretty good though. The sound of an album IMO is largely made in the mastering process, not in the recording process, so an analog recording does not automatically sound better than a digital one. DW is an analog recording but listening to the crystal-clear and crisp sound you might think it´s digital.

GHS is weak both musically and sonically. The "remastered" versions are often worse than the original. Maybe GHS shouldn´t be "remastered" but "remixed".

Date: October 8, 2016 22:16

HMS
ABB is very enjoyable musically. It´s not perfect (=too many songs) but still their best since DW.

Anything from 1989 to 2005 is their best since DIRTY WORK.

Date: October 8, 2016 22:19

HMS
DW is an analog recording but listening to the crystal-clear and crisp sound you might think it´s digital.

They made a crap album unlistenable with its shiny shitty sound on top of making a shiny shitty album. No mastering could help that blendered bowl of vomit.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 9, 2016 16:52

Jagger physically exercises not to mention works on his vocal range probably daily...that kind of discipline probably means he sets aside time to write several times a week as well...he's driven........why would anyone believe he doesn't have thousands of ideas..bits and pieces even to contribute and flesh out with KR for new songs....

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: October 9, 2016 16:55

GasLightStreet
HMS
DW is an analog recording but listening to the crystal-clear and crisp sound you might think it´s digital.

They made a crap album unlistenable with its shiny shitty sound on top of making a shiny shitty album. No mastering could help that blendered bowl of vomit.

Ha ha, that made me laugh...but well put! ABB is an absolute dirge of terrible songs and should never have seen the light of day.

Date: October 9, 2016 17:15

crumbling_mice
ABB is an absolute dirge of terrible songs and should never have seen the light of day.

Rough Justice, Rain Fall Down, Oh No Not You Again, This Place Is Empty, Laugh I Nearly Died, Driving Too Fast, Look What The Cat all terrible songs? Tough verdict.

IMO Street Of Love sucks, Infamy sucks.
Biggest Mistake & Let Me Down Slow are tame.
The rest is ok.

Sweet Neo Con is an unrecognized gem.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: October 9, 2016 17:30

HMS
crumbling_mice
ABB is an absolute dirge of terrible songs and should never have seen the light of day.

Rough Justice, Rain Fall Down, Oh No Not You Again, This Place Is Empty, Laugh I Nearly Died, Driving Too Fast, Look What The Cat all terrible songs? Tough verdict.

IMO Street Of Love sucks, Infamy sucks.
Biggest Mistake & Let Me Down Slow are tame.
The rest is ok.

It all comes down to personal preferences and to be honest, from Tattoo You their good songs slowly but steadily dwindled over the years, to the point where I'd struggle to pick any I really liked since. There has been usually one or two off an album that were ok but generally, new recordings have been poor in relative terms to their previous outputs.

As I say, that's only my opinion on my preferences and I know a lot of Stones fans love some of the later songs....maybe it's an age thing!

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 9, 2016 17:57

GasLightStreet
HMS

GasLightStreet
I'm still chuckling. Thanks man gettin' depressing round here.

Date: October 9, 2016 22:58

thumbs up

Date: October 9, 2016 22:59

HMS

Sweet Neo Con is unrecognizable as a song.

Date: October 21, 2016 07:41

Speaking to BANG Showbiz, Tyrone Wood said: "I've heard snippets of the album, yes, it's amazing. It's different - I can't say different how, cause I wouldn't want to ruin it - but it's good."

"It was just before Christmas that we started doing a new album. Then we went and did shows in South America, so we're still very much on. I can't say much but there are a lot of different things on this album" MJ

"That’s in the can – although it might be a surprise to people, and I can’t say any more than that right now" KR

Are they referring to original material or blues cover album?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-21 07:42 by KRiffhard.

Date: October 21, 2016 17:47

HMS
GasLightStreet

Amazingly, somehow, you name the worst song they demoed for VOODOO as being "only" "potential enough". Of course you'd like something that is awful.

There are fantastic leftovers from those sessions. It's no surprise at all that you are unable to hear that.

Date: October 21, 2016 21:03

GasLightStreet
HMS
GasLightStreet

Amazingly, somehow, you name the worst song they demoed for VOODOO as being "only" "potential enough". Of course you'd like something that is awful.

There are fantastic leftovers from those sessions. It's no surprise at all that you are unable to hear that.

All I can hear on Voodoo Stew/Brew/Residue is truckloads of sketches and rhythm tracks far far away from being finished. One would have to be a magician to turn this material into decent songs.

There are maybe 5-6 tracks you might call "songs" but they are either (very) mediocre or sounding a lot like other songs that actually made it on the VL-album.

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: October 21, 2016 21:33

'Zip Mouth Angel' is a great leftover from the VL Sessions.

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Date: October 21, 2016 21:39

Marhsall
'Zip Mouth Angel' is a great leftover from the VL Sessions.

Zip Mouth Angel, You got it made, Cocaine Blues and Randy Whore.

Stones releases
Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: October 21, 2016 01:28

Can some kind soul fill me in.Is this blues LP in DEc is that the new release that was rumored or is there a regular rock CD coming out next year, I,m a bit confused.Please would someone set me straight,thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-21 01:29 by babyblue.

Re: Stones releases
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: October 21, 2016 01:40

As far as we're led to believe the blues album will be released on December 2 this year followed by an album of new songs next year.
Don't hold your breath and watch this space!

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Re: Stones releases
Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: October 21, 2016 01:51

Thanks for the info. Guess my thoughts were correct.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...137138139140141142143144145146147Next
Current Page: 145 of 147

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1831
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home