Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...134135136137138139140141142143144...LastNext
Current Page: 139 of 147
Re: New Rolling Stones studio album due out in 2016
Posted by: HMS ()
Date: September 25, 2016 12:03

mr edward
Me & Mr Johnson was a dull and dissapointing record. Boring as hell.

Of course.
Almost every EC-release is boring as hell.
With good reason I call him "The master of boredom".

But I cannot imagine the Stones recording a "boring" album - although GSH is close to "boring". I think it´s going to be one of their best albums ever, carefully selected Blues-tunes, beautifully executed, slow Blues, mid-tempo-Blues, Uptempo-Blues, great guitar playing, plenty of harp-playing and heartfelt vocals. It´s going to be a treat.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 25, 2016 12:22

HMS
mr edward

Of course.

But I cannot imagine the Stones recording a "boring" album - although GSH is close to "boring". I think it´s going to be one of their best albums ever, carefully selected Blues-tunes, beautifully executed, slow Blues, mid-tempo-Blues, Uptempo-Blues, great guitar playing, plenty of harp-playing and heartfelt vocals. It´s going to be a treat.

Check out Sessions For Mr. Johnson. Much better imo

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 25, 2016 12:25

I agree. While white dudes playing the blues was hip in the 70s it's a museum piece by now. With thick layers of dust on top of it. Commander, who's the trendy one, was very aware of this - up until now apparently.
I'm sure this one will get decent reviews - since blues is arts music by now. But sales? Kids now don't even know what rock and roll is - except something their grandparents listened to...

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 25, 2016 12:56

The Stones doing a blues album in 2016, just a gift!!

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: September 25, 2016 13:33

When could we know any news about release date of Blues album and eventually any solid news about a possible new studio album of originals (is it still in their projects?!?)?!?

Date: September 25, 2016 13:41

Stoneage
I agree. While white dudes playing the blues was hip in the 70s it's a museum piece by now. With thick layers of dust on top of it. Commander, who's the trendy one, was very aware of this - up until now apparently.
I'm sure this one will get decent reviews - since blues is arts music by now. But sales? Kids now don't even know what rock and roll is - except something their grandparents listened to...

The Stones are in their 70s, kids won´t buy their stuff, no matter what they do. It´s like expecting me to buy Bing-Crosby-stuff. Impossible. Each generation has it´s own music. Mick tried to be hip and trendy and you know what have happened, nobody cared. I think he has decided that it´s better to make music for grown-ups again. Sales don´t mean a thing, they are rich enough.

Date: September 25, 2016 14:01

HMS
Stoneage

The Stones are in their 70s, kids won´t buy their stuff, no matter what they do. It´s like expecting me to buy Bing-Crosby-stuff. Impossible. Each generation has it´s own music. Mick tried to be hip and trendy and you know what have happened, nobody cared. I think he has decided that it´s better to make music for grown-ups again. Sales don´t mean a thing, they are rich enough.

Agreed HMS, there's nothing wrong with coming full circle. It doesn't necessarily mean the end, could be more inspirational IMO. It's what I've been waiting for, fingers crossed. eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: September 25, 2016 14:11

Stoneage
Kids now don't even know what rock and roll is - except something their grandparents listened to...

Pathetic statement.

Date: September 25, 2016 15:03

Bastion
Stoneage
Kids now don't even know what rock and roll is - except something their grandparents listened to...

Pathetic statement.

A 50-year-old listening to Miley Cyrus, Demi Lovato, Justin Biber is an exception, a 13-year-old waiting eagerly for a new Stones-album is an exception too.

There are kids who know what R n R is, but their favorite bands/artists are usually much younger than the Stones are, I guess.

Date: September 25, 2016 16:33

Bastion
Stoneage

Pathetic statement.

Only that line?.....lol

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: September 25, 2016 16:52

Bastion
Stoneage

Pathetic statement.

Not really a pathetic statement, but a sadly true one. Rock and roll is sadly unknown to most kids today. The popular radio stations play mostly play pop, rap, etc. And it's understandable. When I was a kid I wouldn't be caught dead listening to music that my parents liked, being performed by people I would then consider ancient. Kids were expected to rebel against their parents music and it's kind of the same today. Each generation wants to embrace it's own music. Of course their are exceptions; you sometimes hear about the sixteen year-old who loves the Stones, but not often...And when I was young and learned about the blues roots of the Stones, I started buying albums by the old bluesmen, but that was also an exception.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 25, 2016 18:32

HonkeyTonkFlash
Bastion
Stoneage

Pathetic statement.

Not really a pathetic statement, but a sadly true one. Rock and roll is sadly unknown to most kids today. The popular radio stations play mostly play pop, rap, etc. And it's understandable. When I was a kid I wouldn't be caught dead listening to music that my parents liked, being performed by people I would then consider ancient. Kids were expected to rebel against their parents music and it's kind of the same today. Each generation wants to embrace it's own music. Of course their are exceptions; you sometimes hear about the sixteen year-old who loves the Stones, but not often...And when I was young and learned about the blues roots of the Stones, I started buying albums by the old bluesmen, but that was also an exception.

Growing up in the 60's, my parents had different tastes in music from each other - my Dad loved the Beatles and 50's rock and roll, while my mom liked Andy Williams, Perry Como, and Tony Bennett.
My Dad bought my older brother and I every new Beatles album as they were released starting with their first album - one my earliest memories is singing along to A Hard Days Night with them sitting around the old turntable. While I may have 'rebelled' against what my Mom was listening to, I fully embraced almost everything my Dad was in to. Eventually I would learn to appreciate the music that my Mom was listening to...I took her to see Tony Bennet in the late '80's, and it was one of the best concerts I've ever been to!

As for buying albums by old bluesmen after discovering them via the blues roots of the Stones, I hardly think you were an exception.
The blues roots of many of those British bands is what turned on many American kids to the real deal of the old bluesman.

Posted by: Al65 ()
Date: September 25, 2016 18:34

I have to agree when your young anything old seems irrelevant then as you get older you start to appreciate the significance and quality of older artists . The strange thing is it don't work both ways I will listen to anything early blues rock but will never listen to rap so in the end the kids win with more stuff to listen to I guess

Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: September 25, 2016 21:25

HMS
mr edward

Of course.

It's just because you don't like the blues. That's all. You can listen to the "Rubettes" instead!

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: September 25, 2016 21:37

ouroux58
HMS
mr edward

Of course.

It's just because you don't like the blues. That's all. You can listen to the "Rubettes" instead!

Bullshite.
Really liked eric claptons Me and Mr Johnson album. One of the best Clapton cds. IMO, anyway.
jeroen

Date: September 25, 2016 21:53

ouroux58
HMS
mr edward

Of course.

Take EC-albums like Backless, August & No Reason To Cry. Not much Blues there but boring as hell just the same. EC solo is the master of boredom, although I like Derek & The Dominoes, Cream and Blind Faith.

Sugar Baby Love, btw, is a great song. Very enjoyable.

Date: September 25, 2016 22:22

JumpingKentFlash
HMS
mr edward

Of course.

smileys with beerhot smiley
jeroen.
I guess HMS has some problems with his ears.
jeroen

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 26, 2016 10:22

HMS
Bastion
Stoneage

Pathetic statement.

A 50-year-old listening to Miley Cyrus, Demi Lovato, Justin Biber is an exception, a 13-year-old waiting eagerly for a new Stones-album is an exception too.

There are kids who know what R n R is, but their favorite bands/artists are usually much younger than the Stones are, I guess.

Imagine being 13 and getting into a band that's the age of your grandparents, how weird would that be? When I got into them they were just the age of my parents ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: September 26, 2016 12:13

Yes, I too would agree it's kind of strange kids would listen to 1960's rockers. My story is similar to others here, my Grandparents (raised me) were listening to music like Sinatra and Lawrence Welk. My Uncle and I were rocking away. In a way I feel a little sad for the kids if they have to reach so far back to get enjoyment out of music. Seems to me they should be involved in their own generation. Then again they're always welcome too. Better to see some life at the gigs sometimes.

Date: September 26, 2016 12:59

Conversely it's fun to see good younger rock bands, especially at small venues. The prices are right, the bands are tight and at their creative peaks, and the crowd(yes mostly younger) are having great fun!!

Posted by: jackflash1129 ()
Date: September 26, 2016 14:03

One shouldn't be a slave to their generation or to their time in history. I'm 23 years old, the stones are my favorite group and I like 50s-70s music better than any other era. I still like stuff mg generation puts out, and I like older stuff from way way back before the stones were even thought of. It's stupid to not listen to something cause your grandparents liked it, but such often goes with youth and immaturity. If its good shit its good shit, that's my view.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 26, 2016 14:31

HMS

Take EC-albums like Backless, August & No Reason To Cry. Not much Blues there but boring as hell just the same. EC solo is the master of boredom, although I like Derek & The Dominoes, Cream and Blind Faith.

...quote]

I quite like ECs mid seventies output, like Backless etc.

That said, I'd rather listen to JJ Cale than Eric Clapton wanting to be JJ Cale...which is what was going on for while back then winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-26 14:34 by Spud.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: September 26, 2016 20:14

HonkeyTonkFlash
Bastion
Stoneage

Pathetic statement.

However, where a new generation may be expected to rebel against the music of their parents and especially against the music of their elder brothers and sisters, that need is not necessarily present towards elder generations' music, one might think. There lies the possibility that a grandfather's or a grandmother's music can be free from the need to rebel and may instead inspire an interest. It does not happen anytime, but it may happen now, let us see!

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: September 26, 2016 20:38

Witness
HonkeyTonkFlash
Bastion
Stoneage

Pathetic statement.

However, where a new generation may be expected to rebel against the music of their parents and especially against the music of their elder brothers and sisters, that need is not necessarily present towards elder generations' music, one might think. There lies the possibility that a grandfather's or a grandmother's music can be free from the need to rebel and may instead inspire an interest. It does not happen anytime, but it may happen now, let us see!

Another thing to consider is that the music of my parent's generation was very tame stuff - Sinatra, Perry Como, etc. Rock and roll was a stark and rebellious contrast to it. Now my kids have grown up with parents who listen to music that already has a lot of rebellion and angst to it. My kids do listen to their own music, but they've been much more receptive to my rock and roll, whereas I wanted nothing to do with my parents music. Still there is probably an element of each generation that think if their parents like something, it's not that cool. I do have to say that my sons seemed to really enjoy being taken to two Stones concerts...but they don't choose to listen to the Stones on their own.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: September 26, 2016 20:38

I grew up actually listening to music... Seems the kiddos today have it on in the background...

Big difference!

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: September 26, 2016 21:27

Personally, I think Rock and Roll will make a come back

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 26, 2016 22:09

Woz

Just like Jazz did?

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: September 26, 2016 23:20

corriecas
JumpingKentFlash
HMS
mr edward

Of course.

jeroen.
jeroen

Me & Mr Johnson is way too clean and polished (@Jeroen: veel te braaf!). I like my blues dirty, raw and played with attitude.

@Kent Will check out Sessions for Mr Johnson though!

Date: September 27, 2016 01:32

mr edward
corriecas
JumpingKentFlash
HMS
mr edward

Of course.

jeroen.
jeroen

Me & Mr Johnson is way too clean and polished (@Jeroen: veel te braaf!). I like my blues dirty, raw and played with attitude.

@Kent Will check out Sessions for Mr Johnson though!

I agree, its too polished. still like the songs.
and true, the blues need to be dirty. Hpe the Stones will deliver, but..Don Was is the producer, so i guess its not dirty. erg Jammmer
jeroen

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: September 27, 2016 02:11

LeonidP
Woz

Just like Jazz did?

Ha! A fair point. That said, the popular music kids listen to today still includes guitar, drums and keys. The instrumentation hasn't changed. Just like fashion keeps bringing back the 60s, 70s and 80s I suspect it's only a matter of time before that "sound" is brought back by some young kids....

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...134135136137138139140141142143144...LastNext
Current Page: 139 of 147

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2226
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home