Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3334353637383940414243...LastNext
Current Page: 38 of 147
Re: New Rolling Stones studio album due out in 2016
Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 21, 2015 15:01

Witness
matxil
@Witness

Well, you made me do something which I never thought I would do: google up the lyrics of Sweet Neocon. But I regret to say that a) I don't agree with your reading and b) I still think the lyrics are terrible.
And c) I doubt it took him more than 5 minutes to write them.

(With possible inexactitudes as my smartphone supply me with only one window at a time.)

So when after a refrain " How come you're so wrong .... ", the lyrics continues with

"It's getting very scary
Yes, I am frightened out of my wits
There's bombers in my bedroom
Yeah and it's giving me the shits"

you think it is Mick singing about his own fright?

And when the next verse goes on

"We must have loads more bases
To protect us from our foes
Who needs these foolish friendships
We're going it alone"

would that be Mick's own view and not one he allots to the neocon?

And really, if that last verse was to express Mick's own outlook, why, why on earth then, should he there repeat the question, if the preceding verse (s) reveals his own point of view

"How come you're so wrong
My sweet neo con"

Edit : One misprint corrected

Well, yes, I see what you mean, but I would hardly call that "putting oneself in position of a neocon." And I don't think it's even deliberate "position-changing".
It's just a very flat interpretation of "what neocons think". So, it's not actually a thought of a neocon, but what someone who doesn't like neocons thinks to parodize a neocon. And that's fair enough, but I think the parody falls flat. For one thing, I don't neocons are "frightened out of their wits", I think the people who vote for them are.
But okay, that's on the edge of a political discussion, so let's not go there.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 21, 2015 15:19

DandelionPowderman
«We're going in alone»

Would that be Mick's own view and not one he allots to the neocon?

A satirical look at how he perceives the neocon's view on the matter.

The important sentence is your third.

A minor matter is that the devil often is to be found in the details. To be certain, I once more looked at the site that I used for the lyrics, then at another site and even on the sleeve of my vinyl recording. Apparently, the line is, by virtue of written sources, to be

"We're going it alone"

smoking smiley However, you are one of a very few who could be able to reveal that your version of the line is what is actually sung. I don't deny the possibillity that may be true!

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: December 21, 2015 18:23

Hairball
Testify
Crosseyed Heart is gorgeous, but would never be an album stones, and rightly so. Do not confuse the solo careers with that of the group, the Stones are great because they are a mixture of Mick and Keith, maybe not in the idea of the song, but in the development of this.

In your opinion, what was the last great Stones album?
Excluding the live album, I think the last major studio work is Voodoo Lounge. We can't agree on this, but Mick and Keith do not write more together since the late 60s, but were made great albums. To write together should live together and they do not become more of a life.
The opinions on their long discography are very different, the Stones have five different generations of fans, fans normal that we have different sensitivities.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 21, 2015 19:52

Hey man I dig we're all a little deep, but in the end it's 3 chords and an @#$%&. Just trying to put some perspective on it. Hope you're all okay with it.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 21, 2015 20:00

Hi Nate,
do you know if the boys are in Paris? There are rumours...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 21, 2015 20:36

Testify
Hairball
Testify
Crosseyed Heart is gorgeous, but would never be an album stones, and rightly so. Do not confuse the solo careers with that of the group, the Stones are great because they are a mixture of Mick and Keith, maybe not in the idea of the song, but in the development of this.

Excluding the live album, I think the last major studio work is Voodoo Lounge. We can't agree on this, but Mick and Keith do not write more together since the late 60s, but were made great albums. To write together should live together and they do not become more of a life.
The opinions on their long discography are very different, the Stones have five different generations of fans, fans normal that we have different sensitivities.

thumbs up

I'd go as far back as Tattoo You as the last great album, but being that was a mixture of reworked/updated outtakes, etc., I'd have to say the last TRULY great album was Some Girls.
From start to finish a cohesive album in the truest sense. Some songs are better than others, but it has an all around sound and vibe that is stamped onto it and reflects what they were all about during that period.

And out of curiosity, which live album are you referring to?

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 21, 2015 20:42

Paris? That digs up a lot of ideas in my mind. Would be really great if they did a secret gig. That would be a true surprise. Are rumors running wild here?

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: December 21, 2015 21:13

Hairball
Testify
Hairball
Testify

thumbs up

I'd go as far back as Tattoo You as the last great album, but being that was a mixture of reworked/updated outtakes, etc., I'd have to say the last TRULY great album was Some Girls.
From start to finish a cohesive album in the truest sense. Some songs are better than others, but it has an all around sound and vibe that is stamped onto it and reflects what they were all about during that period.

Stripped and Sticky Fingers live.

Date: December 21, 2015 21:43

Testify
Hairball
Testify
Hairball
Testify

thumbs up

Stripped and Sticky Fingers live.

Agreed.
Excellent choices, and superior to any studio output since Tattoo You imo.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: December 21, 2015 22:21

Some Girls.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: December 21, 2015 23:04

A BIGGER BANG:
Skip Let Me Down Slow, Streets Of Love, Sweet Neocon, Look What The Cat Dragged In and Driving Too Fast. Add Under The Radar as song 2.

Great album.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 21, 2015 23:25

RipThisBone
A BIGGER BANG:
Skip Let Me Down Slow, Streets Of Love, Sweet Neocon, Look What The Cat Dragged In and Driving Too Fast. Add Under The Radar as song 2.

Great album.

Agreed, plus a couple stronger songs in the Keith slot. All we need is 12 songs MAX but please under 50 minutes!!

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: December 22, 2015 00:20

Maindefender
RipThisBone
A BIGGER BANG:

Great album.

Agreed, plus a couple stronger songs in the Keith slot. All we need is 12 songs MAX but please under 50 minutes!!

thumbs up
What really makes the difference in 2016 is our age. We IORR-ers are getting old. We will never have the buzz like being 14 (I was in 1978) when SOME GIRLS was released or like being 24 (I was in 1988) when TALK IS CHEAP was released.
I mean I would have played CROSSEYED HEART for two years straight like I did with TALK IS CHEAP if released in 1988, but then TALK IS CHEAP would not be on my turntable after two months in 2015.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 22, 2015 01:25

RipThisBone
Maindefender
RipThisBone
A BIGGER BANG:

Great album.

thumbs up
What really makes the difference in 2016 is our age. We IORR-ers are getting old. We will never have the buzz like being 14 (I was in 1978) when SOME GIRLS was released or like being 24 (I was in 1988) when TALK IS CHEAP was released.
I mean I would have played CROSSEYED HEART for two years straight like I did with TALK IS CHEAP if released in 1988, but then TALK IS CHEAP would not be on my turntable after two months in 2015.

I was thinking quality over quantity. If Mick is paying attention a lot of rock and alternative releases this year are 40 to 50 minutes in length.

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: December 22, 2015 04:32

its a testament to the pervasiveness of human neuroticism the need to control their environment down to dictating what an artist's work should be and demand of a certain product. alcoholic behavior. You have to be free enough to let them create whatever is meant to come out and not dictate what you want to hear. its counter productive. there will never be another some girls. that was a product of its time. great comes in all different forms. what's great when you are 72 is not what is great when you are 40 etc.

Posted by: two4fun111 ()
Date: December 22, 2015 05:30

Can you imagine how it'll feel knowing and listening to what is and will most likely be their last recorded album of new material as we know them now consisting of the Core 4 (jagger,richards,watts, and wood) unless they record again in 2017? It'll be some serious bittersweet stuff.

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: December 22, 2015 08:37

Any hope the album will have a beautiful cover?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 22, 2015 08:44

For sure if they cover something like Robert Johnson's - When You Got A Good Friend

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 22, 2015 08:53

tumbled
its a testament to the pervasiveness of human neuroticism the need to control their environment down to dictating what an artist's work should be and demand of a certain product. alcoholic behavior. You have to be free enough to let them create whatever is meant to come out and not dictate what you want to hear. its counter productive. there will never be another some girls. that was a product of its time. great comes in all different forms. what's great when you are 72 is not what is great when you are 40 etc.

Utterly correct about a certain tendency here to wanting to dictate the character of the coming album. Your main point is very well placed.

However, about one minor point then: Stating, what is great when you are 72, is different from what is great when you are 40, omits one aspect. Most 72 year olds do not play in a rock band. Even fewer in the Rolling Stones. Their individualities count much as well and stronger than their age.

Even what is great for a so and so old Keith Richards contrasts from what is great in the perspective of Mick Jagger approximately at the same age ( yes, I am aware of when they were born). Then there is the difference between what each of them considers great, and what he is capable to and wants to create in 2015-2016. Finally, there is the different variation between when each of them is making music outside the Stones and towards and within the Rolling Stones at this stage in time.

I expect Keith to a greater extent to reflect the music that he has been creating over the last decades, also when he will contribute to new music within the band. There I have got a feeling Mick is more prone to move away from his own earlier contributions, if he chooses to do so. That is, to Mick there would be more of a choice what approach he will take. And it seems Mick to a certain degree may make music in accordance with such a choice. In addition, more speculatively, when Mick lately has written songs, not having made deliberate choices, the songs may seem to differ more from what he has been involved in creating before.

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: December 22, 2015 11:01

Has anyone actually seen Keith in London ? Are we sure it'll not just the other three there with Keith coming later ?

Date: December 22, 2015 11:06

EJM
Has anyone actually seen Keith in London ? Are we sure it'll not just the other three there with Keith coming later ?

Patti has probably seen him there smiling smiley

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 22, 2015 11:10

EJM

There is the video from the studio made to announce the first show in Chile and I assure you it sure looked like Keith to me. See further up in this thread or on the Stones website to check it out.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: December 22, 2015 12:24

This video seems like an old one to me. They prepared it months ago to announce the SA-dates, I guess.

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: December 22, 2015 18:12

1963luca0

Tattoo You was the last good cover. From Steel Wheels through B2B, the problem was that the covers were chosen from whatever imagery they had developed for the overall tour concept. The voodoo dancer, for instance: Mick thinks, "that looks cool; use him for the cover!" But he was ugly and flat, and the bland gray background looks like TV snow.

For ABB, they shook things up and actually personally appeared on the cover. Except that they sort of didn't; they were heavily shadowed, barely visible, and the "flash" of the "bigger bang" looks, well, not very big.

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: December 22, 2015 18:50

Witness
tumbled

Utterly correct about a certain tendency here to wanting to dictate the character of the coming album. Your main point is very well placed.

However, about one minor point then: Stating, what is great when you are 72, is different from what is great when you are 40, omits one aspect. Most 72 year olds do not play in a rock band. Even fewer in the Rolling Stones. Their individualities count much as well and stronger than their age.

Even what is great for a so and so old Keith Richards contrasts from what is great in the perspective of Mick Jagger approximately at the same age ( yes, I am aware of when they were born). Then there is the difference between what each of them considers great, and what he is capable to and wants to create in 2015-2016. Finally, there is the different variation between when each of them is making music outside the Stones and towards and within the Rolling Stones at this stage in time.

I expect Keith to a greater extent to reflect the music that he has been creating over the last decades, also when he will contribute to new music within the band. There I have got a feeling Mick is more prone to move away from his own earlier contributions, if he chooses to do so. That is, to Mick there would be more of a choice what approach he will take. And it seems Mick to a certain degree may make music in accordance with such a choice. In addition, more speculatively, when Mick lately has written songs, not having made deliberate choices, the songs may seem to differ more from what he has been involved in creating before.

Yes Witness I agree and also it seems Mick is a guy that likes innovation and doing things differently and is more political (sweaet neocon, gimme shelter) where Keith more doing the ballads/love songs and sticking to tried and true yet likes to try out different instruments. Keith was saying recemtly in an interview that he was talking to Mick and he was trying to get Mick to sing more or less like he blows harmonica with more umph. so he is demanding of him in that way. I thought that was interesting the clip of Keith getting pissed off at the mixing man saying"where the @#$%& am I" in the tip of the tongue video. he wants to be up in the mix.. I gotta hand it to Keith though he knows how to split up the sounds so you got different speakers on treble, bass etc. like that a lot. cuz I noticed that in stones albums but then Keith did it also on his recent album so he must be the guy that has contributed that touch. nice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-22 18:51 by tumbled.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 23, 2015 06:58

They're probably trying to lay down the basic tracks and then come back hot from the road to finish it off. We just might have a summer Stones album since?

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 23, 2015 08:19

1963luca0

Another Chuck Berry tune?? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Rod

Date: December 23, 2015 08:32

bitusa2012
1963luca0

Another Chuck Berry tune??spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

That might actually be a step in the right direction - start from scratch back to the basics. thumbs up

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: December 23, 2015 09:35

I'd love for a few chuck Berry covers. I've always wanted them to do "No Particular Place to Go"

Posted by: thecitadel ()
Date: December 23, 2015 09:42

HMS
This video seems like an old one to me. They prepared it months ago to announce the SA-dates, I guess.

this is a ridiculous rumour - plenty of evidence that it is incorrect.

now someone did see Brian and Elvis on the High street near the studio....

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3334353637383940414243...LastNext
Current Page: 38 of 147

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1477
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home