Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 24
Re: Is Some Girls the Stones Greatest Album
Posted by: snorton ()
Date: January 19, 2019 03:25

treaclefingers
Rockman
Lies, lies you dirty jezebel
Why, why, why, why don't you go to hell?

Yeah Yeah …. me fave lines from Lies.....
I hear her lying words every time I hear dem lyrics ...

while prolly the worst song on the album, it still isn't a bad little ditty and those are great lines...easiest lay on the white house lawn notwithstanding.

Isn't that respectable?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 19, 2019 04:17

His Majesty
GasLightStreet

Yet you love their Beatles wannabe album.

Diet stones and stones zero... and you know what that is. Hilarious.

Nope. Tis an album born of their life experiences, a bit of fun and experimental with many influences. A musical progression from their previous album and a step towards their next, and possibly best album, which thankfully kept some of the experimental edge of TSMR.

Yes, I know what the diet and zero stones are and we've established that you prefer them to the real thing.

We? Go on! Who is we?

Dunno what experimental edge you hear on BEGGARS. You must have some good stuff.

Date: January 19, 2019 04:18

treaclefingers
Rockman
Lies, lies you dirty jezebel
Why, why, why, why don't you go to hell?

Yeah Yeah …. me fave lines from Lies.....
I hear her lying words every time I hear dem lyrics ...

while prolly the worst song on the album, it still isn't a bad little ditty and those are great lines...easiest lay on the white house lawn notwithstanding.

Respectable is the worst song on the album, although I can't stand Imagination, but as far as originals, Respectable is a C-side of a song. Lies is fantastic.

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: January 19, 2019 14:58

I wonder why it wasn't a double album, when the the content was so strong

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: January 19, 2019 15:07

Some Girls is a great album...but only the 3rd best Stones album of the '70's, let alone their greatest.

Posted by: kristian ()
Date: January 19, 2019 15:09

The double came out actually in 2012... Some Girls DeLuxe.

Getting the job in the Stones may have been Ron Wood`s drug of choice, financially and fame-wise, but his excellent writing career (mostly with Rod The Mod) came to an end, simultaneously.

Date: January 19, 2019 15:19

kristian
The double came out actually in 2012... Some Girls DeLuxe.

Getting the job in the Stones may have been Ron Wood`s drug of choice, financially and fame-wise, but his excellent writing career (mostly with Rod The Mod) came to an end, simultaneously.

Did it? He got writing credits for the Stones tracks he wrote recorded Gimme Some Neck, 1234, Slide On This, Not For Beginners and I Feel Like Playing.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 19, 2019 15:23

GasLightStreet

Dunno what experimental edge you hear on BEGGARS. You must have some good stuff.

The experimwntal edge of using old open tunings in new ways, combining different genres and eras of music. Using instruments from different parts of the world in unusual ways and creating new sounds through the use of bespoke and lo-fi technology.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 19, 2019 15:30

Diet Stones = Taylor years
Stones Zero = Woodie years

Did I got that right?grinning smiley

- Doxa

Date: January 19, 2019 15:39

Yup. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: January 19, 2019 16:00

Anyway, back to Some Girls.

It's their biggest selling album, so it must be the best.

The people have spoken.

drinking smiley smoking smiley

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: January 19, 2019 16:41

that's about right....the public has spoken.

Date: January 19, 2019 16:54

His Majesty

The people have spoken.

No, that's HOT ROCKS. Besides, the band agrees with it: they haven't toured any other albums as much as they do that one.. And no end in sight...smoking smiley

- Doxa

Date: January 19, 2019 16:59

A compilation by Klein is a very different thing to a studio album by the band itself. tongue sticking out smiley

Date: January 19, 2019 17:21

His Majesty
A compilation by Klein is a very different thing to a studio album by the band itself. tongue sticking out smiley

But what flying f.. the buying masses care about those nuances... the people have spoken..grinning smiley

But if we leave the democracy aside, and ask from the true and only real authority, that is, myself, the right answer to the question whether SOME GIRLS is their best album, is no. The case closed. But careerwise it is their most important album with their first, AFTERMATH & BEGGARS BANQUET. All of those bought them future.

- Doxa

Date: January 19, 2019 17:51

grinning smiley

Date: January 19, 2019 18:35

SKILLS
I wonder why it wasn't a double album, when the the content was so strong

Because they didn't want to release a double album.

Date: January 19, 2019 18:38

His Majesty
GasLightStreet

The experimwntal edge of using old open tunings in new ways, combining different genres and eras of music. Using instruments from different parts of the world in unusual ways and creating new sounds through the use of bespoke and lo-fi technology.

Oh. That kind of experimental.

Date: January 19, 2019 18:39

Doxa
His Majesty

The people have spoken.

No, that's HOT ROCKS. Besides, the band agrees with it: they haven't toured any other albums as much as they do that one.. And no end in sight...smoking smiley

- Doxa

HOT ROCKS isn't their best selling album, it's ABKCO's best selling Stones compilation!

Date: January 19, 2019 18:42

Doxa
His Majesty

But what flying f.. the buying masses care about those nuances... the people have spoken..grinning smiley

But if we leave the democracy aside, and ask from the true and only real authority, that is, myself, the right answer to the question whether SOME GIRLS is their best album, is no. The case closed. But careerwise it is their most important album with their first, AFTERMATH & BEGGARS BANQUET. All of those bought them future.

- Doxa

Apparently A BIGGER BANG was the end of their future, which started out with DIRTY WORK, which falls under a psychic tarot juggling palm reader having to cancel because of "unforeseen circumstances".

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: January 19, 2019 19:40

The Stones' fans are not homogeneous, so everyone has different sensibilities. I love Some Girls, but I do not have a favorite album, depending on the time I listen to different albums, including ABB which is great, or the fantastic VL.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: January 19, 2019 23:19

assuming a bands album must be the best because it sells the most is wrong.

sales do not always equate to quality, other factors have to be taken into consideration.

heres an example.

liverpool fc most succesfull season was 1983-84 they won league cup, league championship and european cup.

was it their biggest season in terms of ticket sales, no it wasnt, in fact it was their 2nd worst post war average attendance figure at just over 31.000 average per match, consider that is over 20,000 less than todays average, and over 40,000 less than man utds average today, proves other factors need to be considered.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: January 19, 2019 23:28

Doxa
His Majesty

The people have spoken.

- Doxa

"No, that's HOT ROCKS..."

historical perspective meets false equivalency.
you see ahm onn a looziing streeek,,,
haaahhhh uh uhhh uhhh ahhhhhh onnnnkkkky tonKK wimmen...
gimme gimmme gimmee

----
sg is cool but let's not let's not lose perspective on what really
impacted the world-wide public massively, and still does....

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: January 20, 2019 00:15

buttons67
assuming a bands album must be the best because it sells the most is wrong.

sales do not always equate to quality, other factors have to be taken into consideration.

heres an example.

liverpool fc most succesfull season was 1983-84 they won league cup, league championship and european cup.

was it their biggest season in terms of ticket sales, no it wasnt, in fact it was their 2nd worst post war average attendance figure at just over 31.000 average per match, consider that is over 20,000 less than todays average, and over 40,000 less than man utds average today, proves other factors need to be considered.
You're right but in the music there is not a yardstick, the one that is the best for you, it could be the worst for me, but if an album has sold so much maybe it's because many people like it. Then of course there are professors whose word must be law, perhaps because they think they have better tastes, I do not know ...

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: January 20, 2019 00:48

TATTOO YOU is the greatest

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: January 20, 2019 08:10

Let It Bleed is better than SG but that's me.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 20, 2019 11:14

Some Girls it's my prefer Stones album...but the next will be better! I'm sure!!

Posted by: ab ()
Date: January 20, 2019 11:59

Some Girls marks the beginning of a new, rawer Rolling Stones with Woody (and Mac) and the third guitarist. It surely couldn't have happened as it did with previous Stones lineups (i.e., with Taylor, Hopkins, Preston, Keys, Horn, etc.).

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 20, 2019 12:21

"Some Girls the Stones Greatest Album"

Nah the songwriting is totally basic, not to say neanderthalian... I-IV-V chord progression all over the record. None of the SG tracks have the complexity of 68-72 songs.
SG is a very good album because the Stones are talented people but I much prefer BB LIB or SF.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: January 20, 2019 17:54

One thing that makes Some Girls so special is that there is a really cool vibe throughout the album. I don't think that's something you can sit down and figure out how to create or capture. It just happens.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-20 18:11 by ryanpow.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1893
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home