Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 24
Re: ALBUM TALK: Some Girls
Date: August 31, 2015 10:37

Turner68
DandelionPowderman
Nobody claimed they were pure punk.

The original debate I think was naturalist saying some girls had a heavy punk influence and dandelion and me saying that it was just stonesy rock n roll and that to an extent their rock had always sounded a bit like punk.

A coin flip of dimensions! grinning smiley

Date: August 31, 2015 10:37

LongBeachArena72
DandelionPowderman
LongBeachArena72
DandelionPowderman
His Majesty
DandelionPowderman
His Majesty
LeonidP

No, you're not, at all, but nothing more to say here.

grinning smiley

They simply weren't punk, they were a different kind of rebellion etc.

For you..

They just wanted to play the blues and do their own thing. That's not the same as punks of the 70's. So no, not just for me.

They wanted to play faster and louder, not just to play the blues, according to Mick. That's obvious when we listen to the music. Add that to their history of utilising musical trends, which they also did here - both musically and visually.

That's why many of us feel the punk influence on SG, and that's for us to decide.

No safety pins, mohawks or hair dye. But a clear influence, different than previous ones.

Well, we did get a DESTROY t-shirt and a swastika:

"And so at this concert, we witness the unseemly spectacle of Mick Jagger parading around in a t-shirt with the word DESTROY atop a swastika. (Back then, even provincial squares would have picked up on the shirt's punk rock style; today, Jagger would be accused of being a Nazi sympathizer.) The thing is, Michael Philip Jagger was born during World War II; the swastika had a much different significance to his generation than to the punks, precisely why the latter used it to twit their elders, thereby setting themselves apart from them. It's one thing for Sid Vicious to sport a swastika, but when Mick Jagger does it, it's a calculating and somewhat desperate pose. For the Rolling Stones, the writing wasn't just on the wall, it was on Mick Jagger's chest."

[michaelazerrad.typepad.com]

Did people interpret the message on that t-shirt as a nazi supporting shirt at the time?

I find that hard to believe since the swastika was crossed out and the word "destroy" was over it.

Obviously, it was some kind of fashion at the time..

No, I don't think people saw it as pro-Nazi. Some people did see it as wanna-be punk posing by a 35-year-old multimillionaire!

And they were right smiling smiley

Date: August 31, 2015 10:38

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

They wanted to play faster and louder, not just to play the blues, according to Mick. That's obvious when we listen to the music. Add that to their history of utilising musical trends, which they also did here - both musically and visually.

That's why many of us feel the punk influence on SG, and that's for us to decide.

No safety pins, mohawks or hair dye. But a clear influence, different than previous ones.

I was on about the early years onbviously. tongue sticking out smiley

No one is denying there was influence on Some Girls, but it was mostly on gimMick. It's just that the influence didn't make as much a mark as the "stones going punk" waffle auggests.

It's very telling, given the broad time scale this convo has covered, that Mick had trouble with Keith regarding the bringing in of the punk influences. So it proceeds as Mick's stones trying to be more punk, but essentially they end up just rocking things up a bit more and Mick ending up doing pantomine versions of punk vocals.

That, I agree with smiling smiley

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 31, 2015 11:16

You guys are funny talking so much about this pretty pale album that had a half shitty disco-hit as highlight ...grinning smiley

In addition to all the brilliant punk and reggae album from 1978, so also, debut album by Dire Staits, Kate Bush, Devo to name a few high points Bowie made Heroes and Costello This Years Model ... But as I said, Faraway Eyes and Just my imagination is really good ...

2 1 2 0

Date: August 31, 2015 11:20

Come On
You guys are funny talking so much about this pretty pale album that had a half shitty disco-hit as highlight ...grinning smiley

In addition to all the brilliant punk and reggae album from 1978, so also, debut album by Dire Staits, Kate Bush, Devo to name a few high points Bowie made Heroes and Costello This Years Model ... But as I said, Faraway Eyes and Just my imagination is really good ...

All those albums are poorer than SG grinning smiley

But they are indeed great. Dire Straits so so...

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 31, 2015 11:29

DandelionPowderman
His Majesty
Funny guy that Mick.

So punk isn't about 99,99999% attitude?

The music is three chord rock smiling smiley

Mick and the stones didn't have punk attitude. More to the music than just three chords.

Date: August 31, 2015 11:40

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman
His Majesty
Funny guy that Mick.

So punk isn't about 99,99999% attitude?

The music is three chord rock smiling smiley

Mick and the stones didn't have punk attitude. More to the music than just three chords.

I could hear, feel and see the attitude within and without the music, you can't. Let's leave it at that smiling smiley

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: August 31, 2015 11:49

DandelionPowderman
Come On

All those albums are poorer than SG grinning smiley

But they are indeed great. Dire Straits so so...

thumbs up

Date: August 31, 2015 11:57

DandelionPowderman

I could hear, feel and see the attitude within and without the music, you can't. Let's leave it at that smiling smiley

Then, you really misunderstand The Rolling Stones AND the punk rock movement.

What you hear, feel and see is Mick trying to be punk, to bring the punk attitude in to the music, but he never got beyond humourous imitation.

Comedy stuff.

If punk rock was a JCB, giMick's attempts at it was a Tonka toy. grinning smiley

Date: August 31, 2015 12:01

Closest to Punk from Stones must be 'She Said Yeah' or 'Rip this Joint'...two covers as you can see...smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Date: August 31, 2015 12:04

Come On
Closest to Punk from Stones must be 'She Said Yeah' or 'Rip this Joint'...two covers as you can see...smoking smiley

Hmm...

Date: August 31, 2015 12:05

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

Then, you really misunderstand The Rolling Stones AND the punk rock movement.

What you hear, feel and see is Mick trying to be punk, to bring the punk attitude in to the music, but he never got beyond humourous imitation.

Comedy stuff.

If punk rock was a JCB, giMick's attempts at it was a Tonka toy. grinning smiley

How convincing Mick was is surely not up to you to decide smoking smiley

Date: August 31, 2015 12:06

Come On

Oh dear.

Date: August 31, 2015 12:08

DandelionPowderman

Anyone that has a clue knows his attempts at punk were just comical. It's obvious why he had a hard time with Keith about it. winking smiley

Date: August 31, 2015 12:11

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

Anyone that has a clue knows his attempts at punk were just comical. It's obvious why he had a hard time with Keith about it. winking smiley

It's not the point whether it was comical or not. You're now admitting that there indeed was an attempt of punk. Thank you - finally... smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-31 12:12 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: August 31, 2015 12:15

DandelionPowderman

It's not the point whether it was comical or not. You're now admitting that there indeed was an attempt of punk. Thank you - finally... smoking smiley

Um, I never said there wasn't. Mick tried, but failed, ended up just rockier with ridiculous vocals. Thus, even when he tried he still couldn't be punk. winking smiley

Date: August 31, 2015 12:17

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

Um, I never said there wasn't. Mick tried, but failed, ended up just rockier with ridiculous vocals. Thus, even when he tried he still couldn't be punk. winking smiley

I never said it was pure punk. They were influenced by it, and you think so, too - no matter if they succeeded or not. I'm happy drinking smiley

Date: August 31, 2015 12:25

DandelionPowderman

I never said it was pure punk. They were influenced by it, and you think so, too - no matter if they succeeded or not. I'm happy drinking smiley

Mick was influenced by it, but the influence didn't result in Mick being punk though, just ridiculous.

Good that you are happy that there was nothing punk about The Rolling Stones. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-31 12:26 by His Majesty.

Date: August 31, 2015 12:28

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

Mick was influenced by it, but the influence didn't result in Mick being punk though, just ridiculous.

Good that you are happy that there was nothing punk about The Rolling Stones. thumbs up

I'm happy that you are finally also acknowledging that they were influenced by it, and that it was evident in their music, like I said thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-31 12:28 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: August 31, 2015 12:36

DandelionPowderman

I'm happy that you are finally also acknowledging that they were influenced by it thumbs up

Finally? Are you drunk? There was never a debate about whether it influenced Mick circa Some Girls.

No one has disputed that Mick tried... but, there's nothing really punk about the reults. Thus, nothing punk about The Rolling Stones. grinning smiley

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 31, 2015 12:46

His Majesty
Thus, nothing punk about The Rolling Stones. grinning smiley

...except She Said Yeah.cool smiley

Date: August 31, 2015 12:48

HMS
His Majesty

No, that isn't punk.

Date: August 31, 2015 12:51

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

I'm happy that you are finally also acknowledging that they were influenced by it thumbs up

Finally? Are you drunk? There was never a debate about whether it influenced Mick circa Some Girls.

No one has disputed that Mick tried... but, there's nothing really punk about the reults. Thus, nothing punk about The Rolling Stones. grinning smiley

Go and play a recorder lick, or something... You wouldn't spot a punk vibe if it hit you in the face winking smiley

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 31, 2015 12:57

His Majesty
HMS
His Majesty

No, that isn't punk.

Only because punk wasn´t invented yet by the time the Stones recorded She Said Yeah. smiling bouncing smiley

Date: August 31, 2015 13:03

HMS

Only because punk wasn´t invented yet by the time the Stones recorded She Said Yeah. smiling bouncing smiley

No, not only because of that.

Date: August 31, 2015 13:07

DandelionPowderman

Go and play a recorder lick, or something... You wouldn't spot a punk vibe if it hit you in the face winking smiley

Is this humour or are you actually delusional? tongue sticking out smiley

Date: August 31, 2015 13:11

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

Is this humour or are you actually delusional? tongue sticking out smiley

You know me. A bit of both, probably..

Date: August 31, 2015 13:12

grinning smiley

Date: August 31, 2015 13:40

His Majesty
HMS
His Majesty

No, that isn't punk.

Nope, but as Close as Stones can come...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: August 31, 2015 15:11

I am starting to think His Majesty and HMS are the same person, just arguing amongst himself to get a rise out of the rest of us ;-))

Rod

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2126
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home