Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 24
Re: ALBUM TALK: Some Girls
Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: August 31, 2015 15:12

Oh, and Some Girls? Since cold classic album, with the right mix of attitude, swagger, swag and funk.

Rod

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: August 31, 2015 16:08

bitusa2012
I am starting to think His Majesty and HMS are the same person, just arguing amongst himself to get a rise out of the rest of us ;-))

agreed, and it's about the same as arguing w/ a 5-year-old.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 31, 2015 16:36

Come On

Nope, but as Close as Stones can come...

Which isn't very close. smiling smiley

Date: August 31, 2015 16:37

bitusa2012
I am starting to think His Majesty and HMS are the same person, just arguing amongst himself to get a rise out of the rest of us ;-))

Pass the crack pipe.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: August 31, 2015 19:35

its a good, but not great album, some songs i dont really like, lies, beast of burden, others grew on me over the years, miss you, some girls, just my imagination, when the whip comes down, before they make me run and i always liked far away eyes, shattered and respectable.

the production isnt as clear as black and blue but it is a stonger album and important to keep the band going after much uncertainty of the guitar hunt.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 3, 2015 22:39

Pulled out Some girls Deluxe today. Before They Make Me Run has to be one of the worst Stones recordings in their history. I realize Keith was not 100% but the whole song is tinny.

On the other hand still amazed in discs 2's sound quality.

Date: September 3, 2015 22:41

I love BTMMR! smoking smiley

Date: September 3, 2015 23:02

It's not that I don't love it, just the recording is a bit disappointing. Want some cheese with that whine?? eye rolling smileyeye rolling smiley

Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: September 3, 2015 23:18

greatest rock album ever

single, album, tour, hype, it doesn't get better, bigger or stonsier than this

it will never be 1978 again

Date: September 3, 2015 23:47

deardoctortake1
greatest rock album ever

single, album, tour, hype, it doesn't get better, bigger or stonsier than this

Lol.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 4, 2015 11:22

Mick was suddenly a young English boy from the outskirts again. Gone was the genderbending afro rock God of 1975 and 1976.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 4, 2015 11:25

Notice the "punk" version of SFM.

Date: September 4, 2015 12:28

Maindefender
It's not that I don't love it, just the recording is a bit disappointing. Want some cheese with that whine?? eye rolling smileyeye rolling smiley

The guitar sound? The drums? The total sound?

I agree there could have been one more guitar doing some licks here and there on the verses, though (like we have tried on the IORR recording winking smiley ).

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: September 4, 2015 19:36

Naturalust
His Majesty
Naturalust
... as DP pointed out this tune certainly has elements of punk, if they released it in 1979 everyone would probably be calling it just that. smoking smiley

[www.youtube.com]

The track would not have been the same. Plenty of 50's/60's R&B is racous etc, She Said Yeah is a 1965 Rolling Stones manifestation of all that, it's not punk at all.

Just because stuff that came later has similar elements doesn't mean this track has the same attitude and mindset behind it.

Yes of course I wouldn't seriously call anything done in 1965 punk but if those guitars had more of a late 70's punk tone and you had no preconceptions about the origin I'd say some people would probably describe it as such. smoking smiley

Having read the discussion, without taking part:

Without defining terms, I will say that instead of British punk's attitude, at the time caught in the slogan "No Future", I will suggest the earlier term "Swinging London" as a catchall for the outspring of the attitude of some early Stones songs from the '60s, that some posters want to label "punk".

And with SOME GIRLS the Stones were invigorated by punk, without themselves being or becoming punk, but making "Lies" with the outward feeling of punk as a nod to punk, while "Shattered" was the most genuine outlook in the direction of the street (the streets of NY) and the music of the streets that the Stones arrived at. Considering punk as a music and culture belonging to the streets

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: September 4, 2015 20:30

That the songs of SOME GIRLS may be discussed to a larger extent, instead of being overshadowed by a discussion of punk or not punk, this post:

Directed at the songs of SOME GIRLS I then quote from another album thread:

DandelionPowderman
I'll say that the playing on ER is better than that of SG! The sound is superior as well.

I'm gonna have to give a nod to the SG-songs, though. As a collection of songs it's the slightly better one, imo.

My point of view is that the best three songs (""Miss You", "Far Away Eyes" and "Shattered", not meant as a ranking in between them) , maybe slightly, slightly surpass the three best of EMOTIONAL RESCUE ("Down in the Hole", "She's So Cold" and "All about You", again not internally ranked). And if they still don't, anyhow they mirror the time of their release and its culture more closely and emphathetically. That fact may give them at least one aspect of far greater significance.

After my taste, however, I find the other songs of SOME GIRLS somewhat more uneven than the remaining songs of EMOTIONAL RESCUE, despite some quality of "Beast of Burden" and "Lies". The title song maybe as well. "Before They Make Me Run" as a personal announcement has its particular weight by that as its main asset (in my opinion). "Just My Imagination" lags a little behind what EMOTIONAL RESCUE supplies to me. Controversially maybe, one song though I myself feel might have been advantageously replaced by a better alternative, provided that this would be available at exact the same time (not months later). This concerns the relatively largest deficiency of SOME GIRLS. The effect would be to have "Respectable" replaced by "Claudine", if the band could have released the latter then. Then I mean "Claudine" in the version from then, not the recent one. It seems that many posters are not so keen on "Claudine". However, I am towards one old version.

(From now on, I will be left to writing on a smartphone.)

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 9, 2017 15:35

One of my favorite Stones albums which has my favorite Keith track. Released 39 years ago today. smileys with beer

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: June 9, 2017 16:29

I agree, one of my favs as well. A huge comeback for them. Sounds fantastic with lots of great bass and Charlie's drums are beautiful! Harmonies, up front guitars, great riffs, great melodies, some punk, some rock, some country rock, soul, blues, a fantastic road trip through New York's burrows.

Date: June 9, 2017 17:57

DandelionPowderman
Maindefender

I agree there could have been one more guitar doing some licks here and there on the verses, though (like we have tried on the IORR recording winking smiley ).

I get to see my posts regarding BTMMR from 2015 and have to apologize. What was I thinking?? I do love the BTMMR single that is a different version. Always wished it made the Deluxe. Peace.....

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: June 9, 2017 18:12

Maindefender
DandelionPowderman
Maindefender

I get to see my posts regarding BTMMR from 2015 and have to apologize. What was I thinking?? I do love the BTMMR single that is a different version. Always wished it made the Deluxe. Peace.....

Before They Make Me Run is a great tune but the vocals, despite the fact that they're double-tracked, seem thin. We know for a fact that Mick could've sang lead on 'Happy' without cheapening it and I have a feeling, even though the autobiographical nature of the song would seem to dictate that Keith sing it, that Mick's delivery would've done the song more justice.

Date: June 9, 2017 21:29

Swayed1967
Maindefender
DandelionPowderman
Maindefender

Before They Make Me Run is a great tune but the vocals, despite the fact that they're double-tracked, seem thin. We know for a fact that Mick could've sang lead on 'Happy' without cheapening it and I have a feeling, even though the autobiographical nature of the song would seem to dictate that Keith sing it, that Mick's delivery would've done the song more justice.

Happy and BTMMR are to be sung by Keith.
Although I have to say it is one of my favorite passages of "Exile", when Jagger takes over the lead vocals in the final outro of "Happy". Keith does the ad-libs a couple of times, amd then Jagger blows in like a Tank.
What is the different single version of BTMMR? Cant recall.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: June 10, 2017 02:19

Palace Revolution 2000
Swayed1967
Maindefender
DandelionPowderman
Maindefender

Although I have to say it is one of my favorite passages of "Exile", when Jagger takes over the lead vocals in the final outro of "Happy". Keith does the ad-libs a couple of times, amd then Jagger blows in like a Tank.

I think the only difference is that the guitars are mixed differently, one is now louder in the mix during the solo than it is on the album version, where you can barely hear it.

** edit ... and just to add, both versions are great!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-10 02:20 by LeonidP.

Date: June 10, 2017 07:25

LeonidP
Palace Revolution 2000
Swayed1967
Maindefender
DandelionPowderman
Maindefender

I think the only difference is that the guitars are mixed differently, one is now louder in the mix during the solo than it is on the album version, where you can barely hear it.

** edit ... and just to add, both versions are great!

It's a double sided 45(PR 316) with Annie Leibovitz's photo of Keith's face wrapped in a shawl. "Special Edition Not For Sale". One side is stereo, the other is mono, but more than the mix it has a different refrain.

Some Girls
Posted by: welshphil ()
Date: September 29, 2018 21:54

Should Some Girls have been released as a live album recording ?

Re: Some Girls
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: September 29, 2018 22:02

Do you mean like this?

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-29 22:03 by Deltics.

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: September 29, 2018 22:12

welshphil
Should Some Girls have been released as a live album recording ?

No...the album sounds great as is...if you prefer live versions, the Some GirlsLive in Texas '78 album has 8 of its songs on it! [www.iorr.org]

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: September 30, 2018 12:04

I just find 7, @FrogSugar ...
No. 5 to 11. Where do you find the 8th one?

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: September 30, 2018 17:59

Yes, only 7, no Lies.

Is Some Girls the Stones Greatest Album
Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: January 17, 2019 08:46

Here's my contention, that "Lies" is the only unfamiliar song, all the rest are/have been utilized in concert since. I've looked at Beggars, Sticky, EOMS (My personal favorite) and as much as i'd like too, i don't see anything to beat it

Re: Is Some Girls the Stones Greatest Album
Date: January 17, 2019 10:07

For a long time I thought it was. Now, it's BB for me.

They played Lies regularly in 1978, but haven't played it since. The rest of it has been played either each night, regularly or now and then through the decades.

At least, it might be one of the albums they love the most, if not THE one smiling smiley

Re: Is Some Girls the Stones Greatest Album
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 17, 2019 10:10

It's hard not to say yes...

...until you think about LIB, BB , Exile, SF

Oh dear ....they're all the greatest Stones album aren't they confused smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1883
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home