Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324
Current Page: 24 of 24
Re: some Girls...Album and track review
Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 22, 2023 16:52

This album changed my life! Literally! ... My music listening was casual at best, KISS, ELO, Jim Croce, as some examples. And then I discovered the Stones thru this album-- Every song is a beast! In an instant, I went from a casual music fan to an obsessive one!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-22 16:52 by LeonidP.

Re: ALBUM TALK: Some Girls
Posted by: bv ()
Date: November 22, 2023 19:34

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 23, 2023 19:40

If any Stones album needs a remix it's SOME GIRLS. And it's nothing to do with Mick, it's all about the lack of bottom and too much high end and it's not dirty enough. In fact, it's way too clean. It's the audio version of looking directly at the sun. It's like they had an order to sweep all the low end out so it sounded different than the previous one or two but someone forgot to clue them in to having it sound good.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 23, 2023 19:45

On that note, it's always mystified me that Mick thought EXILE should've been remixed. BLEED, STICKY and EXILE sound amazing.

Something changed with SOUP-BLUE, there's some element missing in the mixes (they still sound great, though). Listen to anything on LIB and IORR back to back and it's amazing how whatever on IORR sounds a tad bit flat.

ER, TY and U have fantastic mixing. I know it's not true but it seems the whole work ethic of the mix disappeared with DW onward, with occasional moments of Ahhh there it is, here and there.

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: November 25, 2023 11:12

I believe Mick thought his voice was buried too deep on Exile. I would leave it as it is.

What's wrong with the mix on Steel Wheels? Some less than stellar songs, but it sounds all right...?

I'm not sure that the mix is the problem on Voodoo Lounge either. More the lack of a coherent play-through experience. It's a jumble of songs that doesn't make for a satisfying listen, unlike HD or SG.

I replace Lies with Do You Think I Really Care? when I listen to Some Girls.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 25, 2023 21:51

bakersfield
...I replace Lies with Do You Think I Really Care? when I listen to Some Girls.

Biggest mistake. Lies is underrated, I feel. The riff is killer to start with, weaving guitars between Keith & Ronnie (and Mick on guitar as well!)... bass & drums are amazing - both Charlie and Bill shine here, imo! And don't discount Mick's vocals -- and a great ending (Lies upon lies upon lies upon lies...). It's actually an excellent song -- Do You Think I Really Care can be added, but don't take away Lies!

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: November 26, 2023 00:21

Yes absolutely! 'Lies' is great if I'm in the mood for a raucous belter - in fact I'm rather fond of the bootleg version that sounds even more 'punk', but as a song to have in my living room 'DYTIRC' slides by more easily and it is a better song. Similarly I've taken to replacing the horribly tinny 'You Gotta Move' with "I Don't Know Why' when I listen to Sticky Fingers'.

Sacrilege,I know, but....

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324
Current Page: 24 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2121
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home