Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 24
Re: Is Some Girls the Stones Greatest Album
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 20, 2019 18:27

dcba
"Some Girls the Stones Greatest Album"

Nah the songwriting is totally basic, not to say neanderthalian... I-IV-V chord progression all over the record. None of the SG tracks have the complexity of 68-72 songs.
SG is a very good album because the Stones are talented people but I much prefer BB LIB or SF.

Good post. I guess SG was their take on on punk. Hence Jagger's clothing. And when did Keith's ripped clothing style begin?

Date: January 20, 2019 18:40

Love the punk/I-V-sound of Far Away Eyes, Beast Of Burden, Miss You, Lies and Shattered... smiling smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 20, 2019 19:10

I didn't say they were good on it, Dandy! Lies, Respectable, Shattered may have some punk connotations though. Or maybe it was just the clothing?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 20, 2019 19:29

buttons67
assuming a bands album must be the best because it sells the most is wrong.

sales do not always equate to quality, other factors have to be taken into consideration.

heres an example.

liverpool fc most succesfull season was 1983-84 they won league cup, league championship and european cup.

was it their biggest season in terms of ticket sales, no it wasnt, in fact it was their 2nd worst post war average attendance figure at just over 31.000 average per match, consider that is over 20,000 less than todays average, and over 40,000 less than man utds average today, proves other factors need to be considered.

Wasn't being serious, min. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-20 19:30 by His Majesty.

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: January 21, 2019 09:19

i was looking at some sales data, and i found some of it contrived and confusing, i'm from an era when physical sales were all that mattered, LP's (33's/45's), Cassettes and CD's. i don't know if the Stones were ever released on MiniDisc, but whatever.

So does someone have definitive sales data, i know that the charts have changed there tally system in the past few years to reflect digital access, but i'm predominately interested in pre-digital (internet) as it's almost impossible to aggregate the milieu of providers... does China give data?, What about India... so physical sales are what i'm looking for

Date: January 21, 2019 10:06

Stoneage
I didn't say they weren't good on it, Dandy! Lies, Respectable, Shattered may have some punk connotations though. Or maybe it was just the clothing?

Lies is «bloody Status Quo» (as Stu said winking smiley ). Shattered has some new wave/Skah-ish feel to it (the latter music form was picked up by the punks, so... But I doubt that this is what people are talking about when they say SG is punk. But I could be wrong).

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: January 21, 2019 10:17

DandelionPowderman
Love the punk/I-V-sound of Far Away Eyes, Beast Of Burden, Miss You, Lies and Shattered... smiling smiley

I think Shattered and Lies have a definite punk feel, and as dcba said, pretty much I/IV/V based (with some bridge in Shattered). They are okay, Shattered especially is good fun, like most of the album SG, but they don't hold a candle too their works 68 - 72. Not so much because of the chord count (they have always been a I-IV-V based band) but of a lack of subtlety and range.
Faraway Eyes is a mistake. It could have been a decent song, but they turned it into some kind of parody, maybe, yes, inspired by the punk-attitude of mocking everything. The problem of parodies is they are mostly over the top and grow old fast. And mocking country-music is in any case a bit killing a fly with a shotgun: too easy.

Date: January 21, 2019 10:21

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage
I didn't say they weren't good on it, Dandy! Lies, Respectable, Shattered may have some punk connotations though. Or maybe it was just the clothing?

Lies is «bloody Status Quo» (as Stu said winking smiley ). Shattered has some new wave/Skah-ish feel to it (the latter music form was picked up by the punks, so... But I doubt that this is what people are talking about when they say SG is punk. But I could be wrong).

I think for Stu there was no difference between Status Quo and punk: elementary rock without a groove. Although I think Lies is a little bit better than that (but clearly the weakest point of SG, as is Hang Fire on TY and Where The Boys Go and Summer Romance on ER).

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: January 21, 2019 10:26

Q.: Is Some Girls the Stones Greatest Album?
A.: No, it's great but the best album is BEGGARS BANQUET!

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: January 21, 2019 10:40

matxil
DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

I think for Stu there was no difference between Status Quo and punk: elementary rock without a groove. Although I think Lies is a little bit better than that (but clearly the weakest point of SG, as is Hang Fire on TY and Where The Boys Go and Summer Romance on ER).

Dudes, Indian Girl, apart from it being my good friends favourite.

Date: January 21, 2019 11:10

SKILLS
matxil
DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

Dudes, Indian Girl, apart from it being my good friends favourite.

I know this sounds strange, coming from someone who doesn't like Faraway Eyes, but I love Indian Girl. I know it's gimmicky and kitsch, but I like it.

Date: January 21, 2019 11:34

Love the rockabilly-sound of Hang Fire and Summer Romance.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 21, 2019 12:03

SG displays another side of the Stones' genius.
No other band could deliver a "response to punk" album that starts with a disco spoof, includes a country parody and has the most poignant mid-tempo ballad (BOBurden).

And all this makes a coherent beautiful collection of songs (apart from "Lies" which is the weak spot of SG).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-21 14:51 by dcba.

Date: January 21, 2019 12:08

IMO, both Imagination and Respectable are weaker than Lies. The latter has a great riff, and Mick's vocals is quite the energy boost.

Like you say, dcba, SG is a more versatile and varied album than people often give it credit for. Lots of different styles + 3 fast rockers (4, if you count Imagination. But it takes a while before than one starts cooking).

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 21, 2019 12:26

DandelionPowderman
Mike, I know Let It Bleed is your favourite (and it's one of my faves, too), but let's dig a little deeper into this smiling smiley

Gimmie Shelter vs Sympathy For The Devil
Love In Vain vs No Expectations
Midnight Rambler vs Street Fighting Man
You Got The Silver vs Prodigal Son
Monkey Man vs Stray Cat Blues
You Can't Always Get What You Want vs Salt Of The Earth

And Beggars Banquet has 10 songs, whereas Let It Bleed has 9.

There is something freaky and uncontrollable about the overall vibe on Beggars Banquet that we only get glimpses of on Let It Bleed (Gimmie Shelter and Midnight Rambler).

I love Let It Bleed dearly, but I'll have to give Beggars Banquet the nod here.

Just my 0.02...

Just seen this so sorry for tardiness in replying.

Gimmie Shelter vs Sympathy For The Devil - Both 10/10
Love In Vain vs No Expectations - Both 10/10
Midnight Rambler vs Street Fighting Man - Midnight Rambler 10 SFM 9
You Got The Silver vs Prodigal Son - You Got The Silver 10 Prodigal 9
Monkey Man vs Stray Cat Blues - Monkey Man 10 Stray Cat Blues 9.5
You Can't Always Get What You Want vs Salt Of The Earth Both 10/10

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: January 21, 2019 12:40

Some Girls isn't their greatest album, but then nor is Beggars Banquet, as that is let down by Dear Doctor.

It would have to be either Sticky Fingers, or Exile On Main Street - my personal favourite is Goats Head Soup though.

Date: January 21, 2019 12:43

tomcasagranda
Some Girls isn't their greatest album, but then nor is Beggars Banquet, as that is let down by Dear Doctor.

It would have to be either Sticky Fingers, or Exile On Main Street - my personal favourite is Goats Head Soup though.

That is exactly what this always boils down to: Our personal favourites smiling smiley

Date: January 21, 2019 12:46

Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman
Mike, I know Let It Bleed is your favourite (and it's one of my faves, too), but let's dig a little deeper into this smiling smiley

Gimmie Shelter vs Sympathy For The Devil
Love In Vain vs No Expectations
Midnight Rambler vs Street Fighting Man
You Got The Silver vs Prodigal Son
Monkey Man vs Stray Cat Blues
You Can't Always Get What You Want vs Salt Of The Earth

And Beggars Banquet has 10 songs, whereas Let It Bleed has 9.

There is something freaky and uncontrollable about the overall vibe on Beggars Banquet that we only get glimpses of on Let It Bleed (Gimmie Shelter and Midnight Rambler).

I love Let It Bleed dearly, but I'll have to give Beggars Banquet the nod here.

Just my 0.02...

Just seen this so sorry for tardiness in replying.

Gimmie Shelter vs Sympathy For The Devil - Both 10
Love In Vain vs No Expectations - 9/10
Midnight Rambler vs Street Fighting Man - Both 10
You Got The Silver vs Prodigal Son - You Got The Silver 9 Prodigal Son 10
Monkey Man vs Stray Cat Blues - Both 10
You Can't Always Get What You Want vs Salt Of The Earth Both 10

winking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-21 12:48 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 21, 2019 14:38

I agree . It's a draw .grinning smiley

Date: January 21, 2019 14:55

DandelionPowderman
tomcasagranda

That is exactly what this always boils down to: Our personal favourites smiling smiley

And so it should. There could be some that feel Dirty Work is a personal favourite - I used to listen to it a great deal at university. Or Undercover, possibly, due to the videos of She Was Hot, Too Much Blood, and the title track.

What matters is the fact that Mick and Keith work together as The Rolling Stones, and that Charlie and Ronnie provide a certain je ne sais quoi.

Steve Jump (RIP) used to tell me "Every Stones album has something of quality on it". I'd agree with him on that.

Date: January 21, 2019 14:57

tomcasagranda
DandelionPowderman
tomcasagranda

And so it should. There could be some that feel Dirty Work is a personal favourite - I used to listen to it a great deal at university. Or Undercover, possibly, due to the videos of She Was Hot, Too Much Blood, and the title track.

What matters is the fact that Mick and Keith work together as The Rolling Stones, and that Charlie and Ronnie provide a certain je ne sais quoi.

Steve Jump (RIP) used to tell me "Every Stones album has something of quality on it". I'd agree with him on that.

Couldn't agree more! thumbs up

Date: January 21, 2019 16:31

tomcasagranda

Indeed.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: January 21, 2019 17:23

Some Girls is 6th for me I guess. I had to write it out to visualize it.

1.Sticky Fingers
2.Exile on Main Street
3.Let it Bleed
4.Beggars Banquet
5.Tattoo You
6.Some Girls

7.Goat's Head Soup
8.It's Only Rock and Roll
9.Black and Blue
10.Aftermath

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: January 21, 2019 17:31

B & L and Some Girls share a "liveness" or a raw sense of recording the band in real time....that's what the public wants...so Stones...take a cue and give us another (new) one like this....

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: January 21, 2019 17:45

A very very important album. But not the best

Date: January 21, 2019 18:43

There's some that just sneak through the cracks, i.e Voodoo Lounge, Bridges to Babylon, that have some significant gems on them. Might As Well Get Juiced is pretty damn amazing by any band, but only the Stones could cut loose on a track like that.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: January 21, 2019 21:18

define great.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 21, 2019 22:30

tomcasagranda
DandelionPowderman
tomcasagranda

I love UNDERCOVER, EMOTIONAL RESCUE and GOATS HEAD SOUP. I think they are "great" albums. But in the quality of their discography, in a historical and quality aspect of the craftsmanship of songwriting and recording, critically, they pale in comparison to BB, LIB, SF, EMOS, SG and TY, in so with their cultural contributions to music, they aren't great albums by the Stones.

Date: January 21, 2019 23:07

Natlanta
define great.

A creation, which when experienced, enriches one's life.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 22, 2019 07:23

No

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1401
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home